hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar

Electric vehicles, any experience of them

Hi folks.

I am wondering if anyone has one, and their thoughts. My better half was talking to someone from the Energy Savings Trust at the weekend and is now quite keen, the main problem I can see is the convenience of the locations of charging points. Why is there none in supermarket car parks, retail parks and hotels? That is a generalisation as I know a 5* hotel with a bank of Tesla charging points, but what about Premier Inn, for example.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi folks.

I am wondering if anyone has one, and their thoughts. My better half was talking to someone from the Energy Savings Trust at the weekend and is now quite keen, the main problem I can see is the convenience of the locations of charging points. Why is there none in supermarket car parks, retail parks and hotels? That is a generalisation as I know a 5* hotel with a bank of Tesla charging points, but what about Premier Inn, for example.
    We'll all be driving them by 2030. I'll be dead so.......enjoy!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Electric taxis starting to make their way into the trade. Not sure how financially viable they are yet.

As said above we'll all be driving them within the next 20 years.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Electric taxis starting to make their way into the trade. Not sure how financially viable they are yet.

As said above we'll all be driving them within the next 20 years.
    I don't expect to still be driving in 2030 either, I find the government (UK) reduction in grant aid to EV purchases a bit hypocritical though when we are supposed to be reducing emissions to save the planet.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Other than a test drive in a Tesla I've never driven one, but an ex of mine was a demonstrator for electric cars for a while and drove all over the North of Scotland showing them at different open days. She was driven to despair (pardon the pun) with the lack of charging points and the inevitable delays incurred during long journeys.
    Maybe OK for town driving but nowt else yet.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Hi folks.

Yes, we've just added a Leaf to our pool car fleet. Nice car to drive, and I'd certainly consider buying electric if I needed a new car at the minute. The current leaf with a 40kWh battery has a range of about 150miles. Next up is the 60kWh model which will boost range further.

I think the biggest problem at the minute is that car manufacturers cannot make the cars quick enough, not that there aren't enough chargers around. There are hundreds of rapid chargers which can charge to 80% in around 30-40 mins being added every month in the UK. However, Nissan can only produce 50,000 Leaf cars per year for the whole of Europe from Sunderland. We had to wait nearly 6 months on ours after order. Many other models have similar problems. Predictions on uptake (across Europe) are so far off being achieved based on current manufacturing capability.

In terms of locations, I'd be looking at targeting workplaces, hotels etc. before supermarkets. Typically you drive from home to the shops, which are probably fairly local, so why would you need a charge whilst getting your groceries? The motorway network is already pretty well served.

Interestingly, I was up in Orkney with work a few weeks ago with work and was surprised to see so many drivings EVs. Makes sense though, when you consider range anxiety isn't quite the same as on the mainland.

I’d buy one if I could have somewhere to plug it in but we’ll be waiting longer for the infrastructure than the tech.

I got a hybrid instead. Love it when its on electric although its not forlong. Really quiet!

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    I’d buy one if I could have somewhere to plug it in but we’ll be waiting longer for the infrastructure than the tech.

I got a hybrid instead. Love it when its on electric although its not forlong. Really quiet!
    Yeah I think I may go hybrid next, my old boy has a hybrid lexus and it freaks me out a bit when it runs in electric mode, freakishly quiet 🤔
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Other than a test drive in a Tesla I've never driven one, but an ex of mine was a demonstrator for electric cars for a while and drove all over the North of Scotland showing them at different open days. She was driven to despair (pardon the pun) with the lack of charging points and the inevitable delays incurred during long journeys.
    Maybe OK for town driving but nowt else yet.
    How long did it take to charge compared to filling up with petrol

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    When I'm out working in California I drive an electric car as there are charging points everywhere. I can drive into work, where there around around 300 charging points, plug it in and it's fully charged when I need to head home again. There's also a number of chargers in the accommodation I stay in, not to mention every town has numerous charging points.

Here, I'd struggle to drive one unless the available infrastructure significantly improves. I think there are around 3 charging points on our campus here, and they're all pretty newly installed (not sure if they're actually operational yet). And publicly available ones are still quite rare. Unless there's a serious drive (no pun intended) to install the infrastructure, the targets to have everyone driving one are going to be missed.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Could the national grid cope with providing the power required.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

Whilst we will move away from fossil fuel vehicles it might not be as rapid as we think. We don't generate enough electricity for everyone to change over and building new nuclear power stations isn't exactly quick or cheap, or politically viable in some cases. Until the infrastructure is here then it will be beset with problems. A motorway service area I was at the other week had only 3 charging points for electric vehicles and 18 fuel pumps. Having said all that when I was an apprentice back in the 70's we had an electric car at work and it ran of 26 car batteries, weighed about 5 tons and could only go for about 100 yards at 5 mph, so we've come quite a way.

I know 3 people who have them, 2 who are early adopter geeks and use them as small 2nd family cars for local journeys here and 1 who lives in Belgium and got an insanely big tax break on a Tesla. Other than the very expensive and impossible to get hold of Teslas, range is still the problem. The manufacturers will quote 150 miles or something, which real world probably means 100 and then you're going to leave a safety margin, so say 80. Probably viable as a town runabout but then if your mileage is low it'll be a long time until you offset the extra initial cost.

Sweden are trialling a system of charging rails built into the road so cars charge as they drive. I think that seems a much more viable long term solution than charging points everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post

Sweden are trialling a system of charging rails built into the road so cars charge as they drive. I think that seems a much more viable long term solution than charging points everywhere.

Imagine the tram works multiplied across all of Edinburgh and Glasgow and all main cities and towns
    #Persevered

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    How long did it take to charge compared to filling up with petrol
    I seem to remember her saying she regularly waited 40 minutes

@hibs.net private member
    I think a lot of people forget that if you have a home charging point then you are always leaving the house with a ‘full tank’

I do quite a bit of running about but rarely do I drive more than 100 miles in one day so a 150 mile range would be absolutely fine for me and the majority of folk.

Anyway range is increasing by then year, infrastructure is increasing by the year so fast forward a decade and ICE will be well on the decline.

Tesla has changed the game and most major manufacturers who were forced to react (aided by the diesel scandal finally bribing an end to the ‘clean diesel’ nonsense) will see their huge catch up investments start to properly come on stream in 2 - 3 years with a continued ramp up from there.

The change is coming and to address an earlier point I think we are already at a good enough tipping point to remove direct subsidies.

@hibs.net private member PeeJay's Avatar
    Batteries and power to charge those batteries are the main problems long term it seems to me - the Chinese - who are the prime movers in this area - have a novel idea: they are going to build lots more coal-fired power stations to generate the electricity they need to charge the batteries on the EVs. They are looking for roughly 30% of vehicles on China's roads to be EVs by 2030 ...

From an environmental sustainability perspective, this switch to EVs will simply shift petrol fuel consumption to coal-powered electricity generation, with the resulting increase in coal production and then CO2 emissions - seems to me the emissions problem is not going away anytime soon
    .... Die spinnen, die Briten ....

Over here in Norway electric cars are the norm, read they where 62% of new car sales in the last year. We have had a Nissan Leaf for a year now and really pleased with it. My wife drives it to work which is about a 40 km round trip, the car can do about 200 km fully charged so no issues about charging it roadside. Her work (an oil company) provides free charging and with free passing of toll roads (can be £5 in rush hour) its an economical no brainer. There are many incentives over here to buy one, no road tax and free tolls which save you loads of money, not forgetting petrol. Its been a revelation for us, cheap to charge at home and free at her workplace.
    Saying all that we do have two cars, one a petrol which we use for longer trips, its all about where your going to use it, just as a home to work car they are great. Longer trips even over here (I cant afford a tesla) are more troublesome, would recommend a Leaf for local driving.

Hybrid and electric vehicles will do very little or nothing at all to bring down emissions, but it sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    Hybrid and electric vehicles will do very little or nothing at all to bring down emissions, but it sounds good.
    You mean overall CO2 emissions? They should at least lead to cleaner air in cities from less NO2 and so on?

The other thing to remember about range is that battery performance will degrade over time. So your 150 miles today might be half that in a few years.

Interesting article if you are looking for the cheapest motoring, electric isn't necessarily best

https://www.whatcar.com/news/petrol-...ource=20181026
    #Persevered

That all depends on which viewpoint is taken. Until recently I drove a 43 year old MG and was stopped by one of these emission type tests the government were doing alongside the scrappage scheme. When I said cheerfully that I was driving the greenest car they had ever tested they all laughed and gave me condescending little smirks and shrugging of their shoulders. The point I made out was that a new car has a carbon footprint of approx 22 metric tons. If you renew your car every 3 years then your footprint is 7 tons a year, before you even drive the bloody thing. My car also had a similar size footprint, but taken over 40 years I was responsible for less than half a ton before driving, so which is greener? Given that the real problem is of course over population then we can only keep on churning out more and more cars in a vicious cycle. We've already decimated over 90% of the South American Atlantic forests to grow soya. Is this to feed the starving of the world I hear you ask. No - it's to make bio fuel because it's green.
    Forgive me if I seem a little bit cynical on these issues, but one thing is certain, it will all end in tears, or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Yeah I think I may go hybrid next, my old boy has a hybrid lexus and it freaks me out a bit when it runs in electric mode, freakishly quiet 🤔
    Yup. I got a hybrid Lexus. Very comfy seats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Could the national grid cope with providing the power required.
    Well they’ve been going for year about shifting demand to bighttime so this would help

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Batteries and power to charge those batteries are the main problems long term it seems to me - the Chinese - who are the prime movers in this area - have a novel idea: they are going to build lots more coal-fired power stations to generate the electricity they need to charge the batteries on the EVs. They are looking for roughly 30% of vehicles on China's roads to be EVs by 2030 ...

From an environmental sustainability perspective, this switch to EVs will simply shift petrol fuel consumption to coal-powered electricity generation, with the resulting increase in coal production and then CO2 emissions - seems to me the emissions problem is not going away anytime soon
    The EU are investing billions to develop European battery manufacturing.

Lickily, we are well out of that as the Tories have a stockpile of Everreadies to sort the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    They would sort Upper Thames Street. The funes are so thick here they make people vomit (not kidding)

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Until they can tow a caravan 1000km I'm not interested. Although for getting to work and back I might have a wee peek when the 2nd car is up for renewal.

4 charging points in the car park at my work, only ever seen 1 BMW using them.

@hibs.net private member ano hibby's Avatar
    My (round town mainly) Golf is 10 years old next year & had been thinking replacing with electric.
    Few Q’s if anyone knows, much appreciated;
    How does it work charging at home, plug into normal mains plug..so lead a cord out window/side of house..?
    What is the electric cost of charging a car battery?
    Someone mentioned above the battery deteriorates over time..any idea how many miles before this is an issue?

Thanks if you can help, cheers
    "We've also been unsure about what has happened to the receipts of the players who have been sold."
    George Foulkes BBC website 20/3/08