hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tonights games

If we were going to play Celtic in a semi I'd want it right after they played a European away game. Their captain is also out so they've landed lucky. I'd still expect Celtic to beat them. I thought they were outstanding against us and seem to be getting into their stride. If Hearts progress to the final I'll 100% stop being dismissive of them and start taking them more seriously. That would be the result of the season so far imo.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we were going to play Celtic in a semi I'd want it right after they played a European away game. Their captain is also out so they've landed lucky. I'd still expect Celtic to beat them. I thought they were outstanding against us and seem to be getting into their stride. If Hearts progress to the final I'll 100% stop being dismissive of them and start taking them more seriously. That would be the result of the season so far imo.
    If they get past Celtic I would still take The Rangers to beat them at Hampden under Stevie G.
    I don’t rate Aberdeen and Hearts always seem to sit back against their big brothers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    Hearts have always had a brilliant home record. Their pitch is very small making easy to close opponents down quickly and get the ball inti the box, usually to a big CF with another sniffing around to knock the scraps into the net or scream penalty. They recruit players who are suited to this, players who were probably pish everywhere else.

No other team is set up to deal with these tactics and find the whole experience alien to football. Build up momentum and confidence and they become really hard to beat there. They use their pish surroundings wisely. 😡
    You've summed it up pretty well there. They've played 2nd ball football for many seasons now & Celtc were totally baffled & destroyed by it last season. What I think they've added this season is more speed & athleticism & within their Tiny confines they are actually using width with their full backs. However even after last night's world class performance they remain 14/1 to win the league. No doubt a few posters on here have filled their boots already.
    PS, I was at ER on Monday, I have never seen our pitch look so good.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    It certainly would be a great result but one I can't see them getting easily.

I think it's definitely time to stop being dismissive of them as whenever I've seen their highlights they look the real deal and the table doesn't lie. They've recently dispatched Aberdeen and Dundee even though they've lost Berra, Soutar, Haring and that big boy up front, arguably four of their best performers this season.

It would be silly not to recognise their progress but what's telling is that a lot of them are recognising ours too. They know it won't be a given for them in the derby and we're more than capable of beating them.

To be honest, I'm finding this all quite refreshing, seeing all these non old firm teams near the top of the league. It probably won't last but I'd rather be chasing Hearts right now than Celtic, who have another set of gears they can move through

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    Hearts have always had a brilliant home record. Their pitch is very small making easy to close opponents down quickly and get the ball inti the box, usually to a big CF with another sniffing around to knock the scraps into the net or scream penalty. They recruit players who are suited to this, players who were probably pish everywhere else.

No other team is set up to deal with these tactics and find the whole experience alien to football. Build up momentum and confidence and they become really hard to beat there. They use their pish surroundings wisely. 😡
    It can seem that way, but I don't think it's true if you go back to the days before they boxed the pitch in with those steep, tin-pot stands - and even then they've had seasons where they've lost plenty at home (eg their recent relegation season, the Cathro era), while Celtic have dished out a few hidings to them (7-0, 5-0...).

As you suggest, though, they've turned the wee pitch to their advantage under Levein.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Some jumbos are talking about winning the treble now....

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    HC If the Hearts win the treble I will take you out for a slap up feed at the Restaurant of your choice with as much drink as you can consume and we can talk about all things HIBS and of course toast Hearts I am that confident of it no happening ��
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 28-10-2018 at 02:45 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Lol. They've got a shot in both cups, but the league? I think they're forgetting that Celtc had an uncharacteristically indifferent start, and I also would think that if Celtc look in any danger by the time the January window opens, some serious money will be spent.