hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due
    Hopefully it is something soothe him as he nurses his arthritic knee.

2. Log in to remove the advert

How seriously sad is it that such a saying can receive a loud set of applause in this day and age?

I'm assuming Police Scotland are investigating? If he has been caught on camera saying that he could be in bother.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How seriously sad is it that such a saying can receive a loud set of applause in this day and age?

I'm assuming Police Scotland are investigating? If he has been caught on camera saying that he could be in bother.
    See post No5

I think people sometimes need to take a step back and accept that criticising someones behaviour isn't necessarily the same as being 'offended' or being part of the 'PC brigade'.

I'm not offended by Durrant's words, it says far more about him than anything else, but I also realise that they fall into the category of 'that's not on'. We are supposed to believe we live in a wonderfully liberal, progressive and forward looking country and you get a guy shouting '**** the Pope' to loud cheers for the sake of cheap laughs. It just shouldn't be acceptable and accepting it is as just one of these things is why it will continue. I wonder how many people who see it as not that big a deal also criticise the 'majority' of Rangers fans who don't tackle this behaviour from the 'minority'.

I don't believe in the 90 minute bigot nonsense. If you indulge in behaviour like this, on either side of the divide, then you are helping to normalise it and keep it in the realms of acceptability, Durrant has spent much of his life in the OF goldfish bowl so really should know better.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob1875 View Post
    If that unsettles you, then god knows how you survive 90 minutes at Easter Road.
    There’s a huge difference between sporadic swearing and cursing in a football crowd and a person formally addressing a captive audience.

Left by mutual consent!
    People need to get over it. I'm sure the Pope will.

He gets much more abuse from his own.

Got some big news about the KKK guys. Privately, I'm told they don't like "coloured people". (Stevie Wonder fans ken whits gaun pan.)

All this, the day after Derek Riordan admitted he hated Skacel. Imagine if other people took offence at that, how would you feel?
    Last edited by Chic Murray; 23-10-2018 at 03:06 PM.

What saddens me is when Rangers were liquidated that should have been it. A golden chance to rid Scottish society of this kind of thing. It was an open goal. For me it's the biggest mistake this county has made socially. We/They had the chance and didn't take it. Gutwrenching.

Good thread this...

I've often said to my partner that once upon a time there's not one solitary subject that I wouldn't have laughed at - every joke has a victim and all that...as you get older though, hopefully your critical faculties develop and you realise that somebody, somewhere, would be hurt at some of the stuff that once passed as "all lads together" humour can actually be beyond the pale.

It would take a brave person to stand up at a "do" like the one Durrant was at and call him out for saying what he did. I shudder to think what the reaction would be and personally, i'd value my own personal safety beyond my moral indignation, I think.

I like to think though I would have challenged that racist old bigot on the Ryanair flight, but perhaps i'm not comparing like with like.

As I said in my previous post, I simply don't bother with these speakers nights any more, they're not for me, and the last one I attended was two years ago; where a guy called Clark Stuart (sp?) whose dress sense and humour was stuck in the 70s, shared a platform with Chic Young.

The only thing that offended me that night was how easy Young got his money; his fee was in excess of £500 for 35 minutes work, and I was incredulous at how utterly dire both him and his support act were.

Oh and the night ended with me having a drink-fuelled argument with an old guy who was extolling the virtues of Nigel Farage and UKIP.

As someone once said, "Go figure".

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think people sometimes need to take a step back and accept that criticising someones behaviour isn't necessarily the same as being 'offended' or being part of the 'PC brigade'.

I'm not offended by Durrant's words, it says far more about him than anything else, but I also realise that they fall into the category of 'that's not on'. We are supposed to believe we live in a wonderfully liberal, progressive and forward looking country and you get a guy shouting '**** the Pope' to loud cheers for the sake of cheap laughs. It just shouldn't be acceptable and accepting it is as just one of these things is why it will continue. I wonder how many people who see it as not that big a deal also criticise the 'majority' of Rangers fans who don't tackle this behaviour from the 'minority'.

I don't believe in the 90 minute bigot nonsense. If you indulge in behaviour like this, on either side of the divide, then you are helping to normalise it and keep it in the realms of acceptability, Durrant has spent much of his life in the OF goldfish bowl so really should know better.
    Completely agree especially in regards to people just accepting it as has been shown on this thread.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    It depends on your own personal filter, Bob. I'm by no means what you would call a "sensitive" type, but I stopped going to Sportsmans' dinners and bowling club smoker nights a good few years ago now precisely because of this type of "humour".

I'm led to believe it's still the norm at these nights from people that still go to them, and it's misogynist, hackneyed, and tiresome... and indicative of an intolerant culture that still thrives in Scotland, and shames us as a nation, sadly.
    And there we have it. Couldn't agree more. Have had the privilege of attending events where the main speaker is a sportsman first and second.

You might not always agree with their views about their choice of sport or even their team but because they are not defined by their lack of education or sheer prejudice they are above what sadly seems commonplace in certain parts of Scotland.

It's Scotland's shame and we will sadly always struggle whilst parts of society celebrate sub species behaviour like readily occurs at this type of event.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    What saddens me is when Rangers were liquidated that should have been it. A golden chance to rid Scottish society of this kind of thing. It was an open goal. For me it's the biggest mistake this county has made socially. We/They had the chance and didn't take it. Gutwrenching.
    I tend to disagree. As horrible as they are, at least we know where they are. It's a sad situation, but these people would not understand or accept that they are unacceptable.

I think about Mandela when it was suggested that the Springboks be scrapped. He said, dont take it away from them, it's all they've got left.

I don't think he was sympathetic to the Afrikaaners, just empathetic in that he knew that backed into a corner, they may come out fighting.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    "Nice one Simmy, nice one son..."

BBC News interviewed the director of Nil by Mouth last night and he made a great point - it's not that the words themselves carry much clout in isolation, or have scope to properly offend people: it's that seeing people who played for/coached/were involved in some capacity with the club saying this crap so openly that it just results in legitimising this type of behaviour in wider society. If people look up to these idiots on the pitch, and hear them coming out with this type of crap, they think nothing of chanting it with 49k of their fellow pals every other weekend.

It's not that these footballers are responsible for the continued presence of sectarianism in our game - it remains a much bigger blight on the Scottish landscape than being a 90 minute weekend issue - but they have a platform to try and dismantle these prejudices and ideals. Yet Durrant and his ilk would far rather appeal to the lowest common denominator and continue to champion "The Rainjurs way".

It's utterly nauseating.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    All this Scotland’s shame stuff is ridiculous.

Nobody outside of Scotland gives a damn. Pretty much no one in Scotland gives a damn either other than rival football fans.

It doesn’t shame Scotland at all. At most Durrant should maybe be ashamed but I doubt he will be.

Saying F the Pope, is that really a hate crime?

How’s that different to saying F Jim Traynor for example?!!

Soon we’ll be wanting folk prosecuted for what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    I tend to disagree. As horrible as they are, at least we know where they are. It's a sad situation, but these people would not understand or accept that they are unacceptable.

I think about Mandela when it was suggested that the Springboks be scrapped. He said, dont take it away from them, it's all they've got left.

I don't think he was sympathetic to the Afrikaaners, just empathetic in that he knew that backed into a corner, they may come out fighting.
    There's more than one vowel in Afrikaaners so it can't be linked to anything involving an analysis of what might make a jobby like durrant think, if indeed he is capable of independent thought.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

I once spent an evening in the company of one of Durrant's former school teachers. His summing up of the youngster's academic career was "Wee Durrant was always fighting".

Interestingly the pronunciation of the name has changed since his school days. His teacher emphasised the first syllable so that it, appropriately, rhymed with currant.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Nobody outside of Scotland gives a damn. Pretty much no one in Scotland gives a damn either other than rival football fans.

It doesn’t shame Scotland at all. At most Durrant should maybe be ashamed but I doubt he will be.

It's surely pretty obvious how saying F the Pope is different to saying F Jim Traynor. I'd have thought it wouldn't need explaining.

I often share your views on posts here, but living down here you'd be surprised how often I get sucked into having to explain the religious hatred/west of Scotland divide away just because I happen to be Scottish. Usually arises when you are just out for a night out and they assume you follow one of the uglies.

It's unusual to see events like the one we're talking about here being so popular and in this case dealing with it, or not, is all within the brief of the Scottish parliament.

Doing nothing if the power exists seems shameful.

Sir Matt Busby

Durrant wants to make luurve to the Pope!?
    Surely this is a dramatic change of heart and a development to be welcomed. 😉

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    People need to get over it. I'm sure the Pope will.

He gets much more abuse from his own.

Got some big news about the KKK guys. Privately, I'm told they don't like "coloured people". (Stevie Wonder fans ken whits gaun pan.)

All this, the day after Derek Riordan admitted he hated Skacel. Imagine if other people took offence at that, how would you feel?
    I am totally over it - my sleep will not be troubled - but that does not change the fact Durrant has been caught acting like a stupid ignorant ****er and that he deserves absolutely all the pelters he gets.

People are scared to speak out about it, that what shames us - institutionalised cronyism on both "sides" has also blighted Scottish society where nepotism (particularly in West of Scotland politics) flourished in the post-war years. Durrant's behaviour normalises bigotry - that's what's newsworthy about it, despite some on here thinking it's "ridiculous".

...and i dont think even the most gifted prosecution lawyer could make a case for jailing people for thought crime.

There is a line though, and I think any of this FTP stuff crosses it.

If he shouted F Celtic, that's a football rivalry thing and that's fine. I don't have an issue with Barry Ferguson shouting F the SFA - he had his run-ins with them.

There is a certain amount of bad behaviour that should be tolerated behind closed doors at Sportsmen's dinners, hen nights etc.

But I do think someone who is still likely to be looking to be employed in Scottish football should be above that behaviour, and we should be aspiring towards seeing the older bigot generations die off.
    Last edited by Smartie; 23-10-2018 at 04:03 PM.

@hibs.net private member

You are so wrong on so many levels.

Rangers and Celtic are two of the most visible "ambassadors" for Scottish culture in existence and they rarely fail to drag our country's name through the mud. They make us all look like a bunch of backwards knuckledragging ignoramuses. Your complacency may mean that you are happy to be identified with backwards sectarian bigotry - I am not at all happy about that and neither are many other Scots.

"Saying F the Pope, is that really a hate crime?" - now you are taking the pish shirley.

Speaking as a non-bigoted Scottish Protestant, I hate having to acknowledge this stuff to Irish folk, people from elsewhere in the world of Irish origin and Catholics from overseas.

At least Scottish Catholics will have grown up with this crap so whilst they won't like it or approve of it at least they'll be aware enough not to be surprised by it.

I hate the fact that I have to answer for misbehaving huns. I object to the fact that I need to say stuff like "we're not all like that. They're erseholes that I wish didn't exist and suggest you do likewise".

It shouldn't be necessary in this day and age.

Apparently apologised.

'Didn't want to offend anybody'.

Must be thicker than his original remarks suggest.

Sectarianism, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    You are so wrong on so many levels.

Rangers and Celtic are two of the most visible "ambassadors" for Scottish culture in existence and they rarely fail to drag our country's name through the mud. They make us all look like a bunch of backwards knuckledragging ignoramuses. Your complacency may mean that you are happy to be identified with backwards sectarian bigotry - I am not at all happy about that and neither are many other Scots.

"Saying F the Pope, is that really a hate crime?" - now you are taking the pish shirley.
    Nope, genuine question.

I take the sticks and stones line with this kinda stuff but genuinely don’t know if that is illegal or not.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Apparently apologised.

'Didn't want to offend anybody'.

Must be thicker than his original remarks suggest.

Sectarianism, plain and simple.

Not really.

I'm pretty sure he DIDN'T think he'd offend anybody. Certainly nobody in attendance. And going by the reaction, the mood of the audience was right with him.
    I'm not sure the polis would be that bothered either, not at the price they would have paid for the tickets and why ruin the night?

I agree he's thick though - just about as thick as the halfwit who filed it and aired it. Bit of an own goal there eh?

Sectarianism, and Durrant - both plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    I often share your views on posts here, but living down here you'd be surprised how often I get sucked into having to explain the religious hatred/west of Scotland divide away just because I happen to be Scottish. Usually arises when you are just out for a night out and they assume you follow one of the uglies.

It's unusual to see events like the one we're talking about here being so popular and in this case dealing with it, or not, is all within the brief of the Scottish parliament.

Doing nothing if the power exists seems shameful.

I’ll take your word on it.

I live in Glasgow now so can’t really comment on how others see us.

When it comes to the singing of songs at Ibrox or Celtic Park do you really think anyone outside of Scotland can understand what’s being sung?

Next time you watch a live English game see if you can work out the words to the songs they’re singing. Unless it’s obvious like “United, United” id bet you wouldn’t be able to make out the words!

Look, I’m not saying this kinda language is acceptable but I do object to the often trotted our line that Scotland should be embarrassed or ashamed.

I’m not at all. I won’t take responsibility for what Rangers or Celtic fans sing and I don’t agree that they tarnish Scotland’s reputation in the world.

Do we think all Italians are racist cause of a few Lazio fans for example?!

When it comes to the singing of songs at Ibrox or Celtic Park do you really think anyone outside of Scotland can understand what’s being sung?

Next time you watch a live English game see if you can work out the words to the songs they’re singing. Unless it’s obvious like “United, United” id bet you wouldn’t be able to make out the words!

Look, I’m not saying this kinda language is acceptable but I do object to the often trotted our line that Scotland should be embarrassed or ashamed.

I’m not at all. I won’t take responsibility for what Rangers or Celtic fans sing and I don’t agree that they tarnish Scotland’s reputation in the world.

You make a gold point about stereotyping. I’d hope that nobody thinks us all as bigots just because we’re scottish.

But.....The sad fact amongst the ignorant and lazy minded is that it’s easier to pigeon hole people. And it happens all the time sadly.

So as long as this type of stuff comes up, I am indeed ashamed that it’s part of the culture of the lesser educated knuckle draggers in Scotland.

No they don’t represent me, but I’ve been asked about it several times when down south or abroad. And it’s depressing.

All good points. I speak as I find. God knows there's plenty A holes down here but the religious bile really doesn't feature in the same way.

Italian, or any other countries hatreds are on their own doorsteps and for their own government to crack or ignore. A bit like Scotland.

Sir Matt Busby

I went to a rugby club dinner a few years ago.The main speaker was Tom Farmer.Needless to say there was no effing and blinding from him but what surprised me was how funny he was and he went down a storm.I stopped going to football dinners when it seemed to me that the speakers took the view that this lot are thick as mince I better throw in plenty swearing .It appeared pretty condescending in fact so I hope they weren't right.