hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    On the legality of it, are we saying that phrase is illegal specifically because it’s directed towards the Pope?

I’m assuming it’s still fine to say F Donald Trump. Or Nigel Farage. Or Ann Budge for example?

But Holy Cow you can’t dare say it about The Pope??

That just can’t be right? Can it?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Depressing.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the legality of it, are we saying that phrase is illegal specifically because it’s directed towards the Pope?

I’m assuming it’s still fine to say F Donald Trump. Or Nigel Farage. Or Ann Budge for example?

It cant be right but the same folk that are greeting about Durrant were jacking off among themselves when Robert De Niro did his **** Trump rant .

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar

Born and brought up a protestant. Now a proud atheist because of what religion has taught me.

It's fine to have a position on Trump and wee Nigel because of what they stand for if you happen to agree or disagree with them. Huns (a convenient collective name) like durrant hate millions of people they've never spoken to and the same could be said of the other ugly sisters.They probably haven't analysed it beyond FTP other FTQ as it fits in the society they live in and circles they move in?

It doesn't reflect well on the country they're in that over the decades not much has changed.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Most of the people who shout it probably couldn't name the Pope. They're not shouting at him as an individual but as the figurehead of his religion. It's simple bigotry.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    It cant be right but the same folk that are greeting about Durrant were jacking off among themselves when Robert De Niro did his **** Trump rant .
    F Trump is fine, as with F Theresa May, Maggie Thatcher, Nicola Sturgeon or Jeremy Corbyn. I have to say I didn't like the graphically violent language used about Theresa May by the Tory backbencher recently.

F Scott Brown is fine.

F Peter Lawwell is fine.

Football rivalry, a bit of bad language behind closed doors at a private event is fine.

F the pope isn't really ok in my book, or to say something like F all Roman Catholics.

Just my opinion and my moral code.

Blog Entries
    All this Scotland’s shame stuff is ridiculous.

Nobody outside of Scotland gives a damn. Pretty much no one in Scotland gives a damn either other than rival football fans.

It doesn’t shame Scotland at all. At most Durrant should maybe be ashamed but I doubt he will be.

Saying F the Pope, is that really a hate crime?

How’s that different to saying F Jim Traynor for example?!!

Soon we’ll be wanting folk prosecuted for what they think.
    Saying FTP is much more significant than saying F Jim Traynor.

Cursing that ignoramus means very little to virtually anyone and is insignificant in the bigger scheme of things. On the other hand, publicly uttering, singing and chanting FTP is an intentional act designed to anger and provoke thousands of Celtic fans. The same can also be said for the bigoted actions of Celtic fans with similar motives.

^Yeah, I was really just wondering if it’s ilegal to say it as another posted thought I was on the wind up when I asked if it was a hate crime. I honestly don’t know if it is or not!

Are people not allowed to hold views that others may find reprehensible though? That’s a slippery slope to go down I think.

So as far as I can figure out it’s ok if I hate the Pope, or Protestants , or Jews or any religious group so long as I don’t say it.

It’s fine however to say I hate the English, or Rangers fans?

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Most of the people who shout it probably couldn't name the Pope. They're not shouting at him as an individual but as the figurehead of his religion. It's simple bigotry.
    Exactly right.

FTP actually means F all Catholics.

F Trump means F Trump.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

^Yeah, I was really just wondering if it’s ilegal to say it as another posted thought I was on the wind up when I asked if it was a hate crime. I honestly don’t know if it is or not!

Are people not allowed to hold views that others may find reprehensible though? That’s a slippery slope to go down I think.

So as far as I can figure out it’s ok if I hate the Pope, or Protestants , or Jews or any religious group so long as I don’t say it.

You can hold any views you like. Acting upon them may not be acceptable or even legal.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

Im deeply offended

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Exactly right.

FTP actually means F all Catholics.

F Trump means F Trump.
    F Trump actually means F Trump and the tens of millions of Americans who voted for him , and fine well you know it

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Im deeply offended
    We shouldn't really be airing generalisations about hating millions of people of a particular nationality or followers of a religion.

I don't really get offended when folk say stuff about hating Scots but I get that some folk do get bothered about it.

We shouldn't be talking of hating the English, hating the French, hating Americans or the like.

If someone wants to hold a private generalised opinion based on what their life experiences might be then that's up to them, I have no problem with that.

I don't think English Hibs fans should have to come onto a site for Hibs fans and read about folk hating the English.

I think they should expect some mirth and merriment when their national team loses however.
    Last edited by Smartie; 23-10-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    F Trump actually means F Trump and the tens of millions of Americans who voted for him , and fine well you know it
    No it doesn't.

Those same Americans voted for Bush, but F Bush wasn't a thing.

The woman who had the Trump is a C*** banner was referring to the man, not nearly half the US electorate.

Some interesting points and a far better discussion than everyone just shouting ‘vile Rangers’ etc.

Take away football rivalries for a moment and we barely have a sectarian problem in this country.

Education, housing, policing, employment - these are in no way blighted by it like they were decades ago. You simply do not get refused a job based on your religion nowadays.

It’s not not a problem in wider society. It’s not discussed around the dinner table or in the office like say Trump or Brexit might be.

It’s only ever mentioned in the context of the old firm. Some people might actually call that progress, and to a lesser degree a result.

For real religious bigotry take a look at the Middle East. We’re hundreds of years ahead and positively enlightened in comparison!!

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

I had the misfortune to be at dinner in Whitburn many years back when John Brown was 'speaking'. Never, ever again for me.
    Yep me too. Was at one in Glasgow, Souness, Ref Rowbotham as main speakers. Shocking stuff, it wasn't even funny, just a long series of expletives and bad attempts as jokes as vehicles for more swearing. Gangrene would be funnier.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by proud_and_green View Post
    Yep me too. Was at one in Glasgow, Souness, Ref Rowbotham as main speakers. Shocking stuff, it wasn't even funny, just a long series of expletives and bad attempts as jokes as vehicles for more swearing. Gangrene would be funnier.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
    Gangrene was terrible full of poisonous venom

It’s only ever mentioned in the context of the old firm. Some people might actually call that progress, and to a lesser degree a result.

The Labour delegate at the recent LP Conference who singled out a woman for crossing herself? How was that in the context of the Old Firm?

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Some interesting points and a far better discussion than everyone just shouting ‘vile Rangers’ etc.

Take away football rivalries for a moment and we barely have a sectarian problem in this country.

Education, housing, policing, employment - these are in no way blighted by it like they were decades ago. You simply do not get refused a job based on your religion nowadays.

It’s not not a problem in wider society. It’s not discussed around the dinner table or in the office like say Trump or Brexit might be.

For real religious bigotry take a look at the Middle East. We’re hundreds of years ahead and positively enlightened in comparison!!
    I think you may have a slightly different point of view on this from others due to the fact you live in Glasgow, and much nearer the epicentre of the issue. I say this as someone from the area myself.

I think folk from outside of Glasgow see the antics of the old firm as an embarrassing thing, thinking it reflects on the country as a whole.

In Glasgow it's very much an us (the archetypal old form fans with their "traditions" and behaviours) and us attitude. People who aren't part of that don't identify with it and are embarrassed both by and for the people acting that way, but don't see them as a reflection of themselves of the city as a whole, and many old for fans fall in to that category.

I can understand both sides of the arguments being made, however you're definitely right when you say sectarianism is not the huge issue outside of football that it used to be. The bampots who still practice it and act upon it are just using it as a mask to justify their behaviour, if it wasn't religion it would be something else. They don't hate Catholics, they hate Celtic fans and things they associate with Celtic and removing the anti Catholic sentiments won't improve society, they won't change their behaviour, they just find a new reason to act that way. You just need to look at their new found hatred of Hibs, they find any excuse they can because we're not necessarily a Catholic club (I know that historically that was the case but it's not a thing that defines us the way it does with Celtic) so they use the Scottish Cup final, the Scott Allan transfer, the fact we've had Celtic loan players and this imaginary "affinity" we have. Really it's just because they needed a team to hate when they were a figure of fun for Celtic fans and we were a target as we were competition in the league and seem to have their number more often than not.

As a non-Roman Catholic, that particular phrase isn't offensive to me however it is something which should be deeply embarrassing to Ian Durrant, a man in his 50s, who is engaging in this language just to get a few cheap laughs and a round of applause.

Perhaps the most depressing aspect to all this is that Durrant's unlikely to face any action over this and there doesn't seem to be any kind of surprise that this has happened.

It’s complete different in this context. I’m a catholic, and I moved from Edinburgh aged 6 to the West Coast (happily returned now.) I was in primary school late 80s/early 90s, and showing up to PE in Hibs shorts was enough to be berated as a ‘Fenian’ in a predominantly hun non-dom school. Primary school!

In the hun context, he’s not attacking Pope Francis as a person, but as the leader of the Catholic Church. I’m not looking to be offended, but it’s all about context. People don’t say **** Donald Trump because he’s the leader of the states - they say **** Donald Trump because he’s an arse hole!

Scotland has a serious, deep rooted problem with sectarianism, and with the huns, it’s all about living in the past, harking back to the days where razor gangs prowled the streets of Glasgow attacking Irish Catholics (as they sing about.)

if someone outside of Scotland said ‘**** the pope’ the chances are, it wouldn’t be considered as offensive - here however, it sadly has a different meaning.

Durrant is a complete knuckle dragger in my view, and it shows he’s really bought in to the Rangers bigoted psyche.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    There's more than one vowel in Afrikaaners so it can't be linked to anything involving an analysis of what might make a jobby like durrant think, if indeed he is capable of independent thought.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    There's more than one in Kafir too, but I'm sure there must be some relevance to those who think they are God's chosen people, and Ibrox.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I think you may have a slightly different point of view on this from others due to the fact you live in Glasgow, and much nearer the epicentre of the issue. I say this as someone from the area myself.

I think folk from outside of Glasgow see the antics of the old firm as an embarrassing thing, thinking it reflects on the country as a whole.

In Glasgow it's very much an us (the archetypal old form fans with their "traditions" and behaviours) and us attitude. People who aren't part of that don't identify with it and are embarrassed both by and for the people acting that way, but don't see them as a reflection of themselves of the city as a whole, and many old for fans fall in to that category.

I can understand both sides of the arguments being made, however you're definitely right when you say sectarianism is not the huge issue outside of football that it used to be. The bampots who still practice it and act upon it are just using it as a mask to justify their behaviour, if it wasn't religion it would be something else. They don't hate Catholics, they hate Celtic fans and things they associate with Celtic and removing the anti Catholic sentiments won't improve society, they won't change their behaviour, they just find a new reason to act that way. You just need to look at their new found hatred of Hibs, they find any excuse they can because we're not necessarily a Catholic club (I know that historically that was the case but it's not a thing that defines us the way it does with Celtic) so they use the Scottish Cup final, the Scott Allan transfer, the fact we've had Celtic loan players and this imaginary "affinity" we have. Really it's just because they needed a team to hate when they were a figure of fun for Celtic fans and we were a target as we were competition in the league and seem to have their number more often than not.
    I think the sectarianism issue in every day life is improving - but it's not yet ideal.

I don't think younger folk buy into the nonsense as much as the old did, and I think places like the West of Scotland and Northern Ireland - where problems used to be rife - are reducing over time.

We shouldn't get complacent though, and it is wrong to suggest that this is acceptable behaviour. Whenever it is exposed it should be condemned, and it is fairly reassuring that this has been considered to be newsworthy and that most folk seem to accept that this wasn't a good thing for him to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees3_Sevco2 View Post
    It’s complete different in this context. I’m a catholic, and I moved from Edinburgh aged 6 to the West Coast (happily returned now.) I was in primary school late 80s/early 90s, and showing up to PE in Hibs shorts was enough to be berated as a ‘Fenian’ in a predominantly hun non-dom school. Primary school!

In the hun context, he’s not attacking Pope Francis as a person, but as the leader of the Catholic Church. I’m not looking to be offended, but it’s all about context. People don’t say **** Donald Trump because he’s the leader of the states - they say **** Donald Trump because he’s an arse hole!

Scotland has a serious, deep rooted problem with sectarianism, and with the huns, it’s all about living in the past, harking back to the days where razor gangs prowled the streets of Glasgow attacking Irish Catholics (as they sing about.)

if someone outside of Scotland said ‘**** the pope’ the chances are, it wouldn’t be considered as offensive - here however, it sadly has a different meaning.

Durrant is a complete knuckle dragger in my view, and it shows he’s really bought in to the Rangers bigoted psyche.
    Good post.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by sadtom View Post
    Durrant wants to make luurve to the Pope!?
    Surely this is a dramatic change of heart and a development to be welcomed. ��
    It's certainly a move forward on the issue of celibacy amongst the clergy.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    I am totally over it - my sleep will not be troubled - but that does not change the fact Durrant has been caught acting like a stupid ignorant ****er and that he deserves absolutely all the pelters he gets.
    Now, that's logic I can relate to, "as long as they ***** in our shoes, we'll piss in their Bovril".

What I can't take is all the righteous indignation on the subject. I happen to know of one ex Celtic player who has been barred from several pubs in Airdrie for stupid sectarian remarks.

I also happen to know of a Scottish actor who has international status, who will openly come out with anti Orange statements when watching the Old Firm game with pals.

We've tried to legislate against this, and we got nowhere. At the end of the day, people should be free to say whatever they want, and the only court that would matter is the opinion of decent people.
    Last edited by Chic Murray; 23-10-2018 at 06:18 PM.

You don't understand.

He is just signing a folk song.

Signing a folk song?

Lost me there.

Left by mutual consent!
    More imporant things to be worrying about

Shouting FTP at a Rangers dinner was it?

Who cares

Left by mutual consent!

It’s not though. It won’t be personally at the guy who the pope is just now it’s aimed at the head of the Catholic Church.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    More imporant things to be worrying about

Shouting FTP at a Rangers dinner was it?

Who cares
    You’re right. It’s to be laughed at how pathetic they actually are.