hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar

Best/worst referees

Bit different, who is the best ref in the country at the moment? Usually I'd go for McLean but not been impressed recently. Worst has to go to Willie Collum. Worst of all time is Richmond imo however. Always remember him nearly causing a riot at ER v Falkirk if I remember correctly?

2. Log in to remove the advert

All dreadful

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bit different, who is the best ref in the country at the moment? Usually I'd go for McLean but not been impressed recently. Worst has to go to Willie Collum. Worst of all time is Richmond imo however. Always remember him nearly causing a riot at ER v Falkirk if I remember correctly?
    Think thats Alan Freeland for the Falkirk riot. He was hopeless that day and on many other occasions (eg Killie away last game of same season).

Louis Thow was horrendous in the late 80s early 90s. Craig Thomson obviously, but still think he was bought by Romanov.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Controversial but Dallas Jr has probably been the best we’ve had this season (and on more than one occasion).

Worst - too many to mention.

Steven McLean will always be the best ever referee in my eyes.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Controversial but Dallas Jr has probably been the best we’ve had this season (and on more than one occasion).

Worst - too many to mention.
    Probably this to be perfectly honest.

I grew up as a Hibernian fan when open hostility to our club was to be expected. Mcluskey, Valentine and McGinlay were all masons no doubt about it. Mike McCurray and the swine who sent off Grant Brebner for bugger all, Freeland, Hugh Dallas, etc etc etc have all since vindicated that we were not at all 'paranoid' but there actually was an agenda against clubs like us. The present lot of Clancy, Collum etc do nothing to think things have changed but they are now more sneaky about it in they pretend to be so incompetent against both clubs yet sneakily award undue penalties/sending offs in favour of one team the yams while both sets of fans think they were just rotten to both teams. Pathetic and needs seriously addressed.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

First Team Breakthrough
    Mike McCurrys cheating of Dundee Utd at Ibrox in 2008 will take some beating
    I remember saying at the time Rangers must have some kind of hold on him
    Then 2 weeks later he (as a married church elder) was outed for having a relationship with a 19/20 year old girl from his church and resigned from refereeing
    Surprised no one joined the dots

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Montford View Post
    Mike McCurrys cheating of Dundee Utd at Ibrox in 2008 will take some beating
    I remember saying at the time Rangers must have some kind of hold on him
    Then 2 weeks later he (as a married church elder) was outed for having a relationship with a 19/20 year old girl from his church and resigned from refereeing
    Surprised no one joined the dots
    Was there not also some mystery surrounding McGinlay's sudden disappearance from an international tournament? Not sure if that was also scandal-related.

@hibs.net private member

Didn't happen. I know him and his family. Daily ****** made it up with her.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    There’s no difference, they are all ****s

Left by mutual consent!
    Dougie McDonald was a good referee. As was John Rowbotham who is a lovely big chap.

Hugh Dallas was one of the best for me and was nice to talk to.

Its a shame we no longer have two of these guys in the youth set up for various reasons.

The WORST is Alan Freeland. Many referees agree with this. You're not allowed to criticse but I'm no longer part of an association so all good

Rowbotham was about best I can remember

McCurry probably the worst. Clancy probably the worst one at the moment

Rowbotham was/is a Jambo.

Tiny Wharton was the most obvious mason/Rangers supporter by a country mile.

Freeland was just useless.

in my opinion.

Controversial but I’ve always thought Thompson has been okay with us ever since that cup final but nonetheless he will never ever be forgiven. I like McLean but it’s quite hard to give him a good word given the Jordan Jones incident a couple weeks ago. Collum and Clancy are both absolute calamities where as I never really know what to expect with Madden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Andrew Dallas is by far the worst. Not even Sunday league standard and only there because of his last name.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Andrew Dallas is by far the worst. Not even Sunday league standard and only there because of his last name.
    If you seen any of the Hamilton Rangers game today, some of his decisions were incredable!
    Playing on when Rangers attacking, pulling back when Hamilton on the ball???
    Gave Rangers 2 of the softest pens ever just after Hamilton equalised??
    And was a yard from Morellos at the restart after Hamilton equalised, he ran straight into Bingham and went down requiring treatment, ref told him first to get up, but don't know why he never yellow carded him????
    Last edited by where'stheslope; 21-10-2018 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling

@hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    Dougie McDonald was a good referee. As was John Rowbotham who is a lovely big chap.

Hugh Dallas was one of the best for me and was nice to talk to.

Its a shame we no longer have two of these guys in the youth set up for various reasons.

The WORST is Alan Freeland. Many referees agree with this. You're not allowed to criticse but I'm no longer part of an association so all good
    I am and just landed a £150 fine from the compliance officer for criticising.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Rowbotham was/is a Jambo.

Tiny Wharton was the most obvious mason/Rangers supporter by a country mile.

Freeland was just useless.

in my opinion.
    Not sure Rowbotham is a jambo? Was at a sportsmans dinner a few years ago where he was guest speaker. He told an amusing story about the time he had great delight in sending off Pressley at Tynecastle.

Quote Originally Posted by angus hibby View Post
    Not sure Rowbotham is a jambo? Was at a sportsmans dinner a few years ago where he was guest speaker. He told an amusing story about the time he had great delight in sending off Pressley at Tynecastle.
    Yes I saw him at a speakers night and said he was a big Raith fan, the story was a local fife derby where he gave Raith a late pen and after he scored he ran into the Raith fans, but didn't book him because he was too busy running to the half way line with his shirt over his head.

Charlie Richmond was a shocker. Dunno if he was genuinely **** all the time, or just to us but he was horrendous!!

To be fair, I reckon most leagues, including far wealthier than ours have the same issue. Players don't exactly play fair where there's an advantage to be gained

It's always easier to blame officials. Steve Clarke prime example went ape at them. Yet his club have benefitted from some baffling calls all season then claims to not see them or it "evens out"

Rowbotham sent Yogi off at Tynecastle for nothing. I saw incident close up and he wasn’t looking but responded to hearts players protesting.
    Then he didn’t sent a Gazza off at Ibrox for a Ziddane type headbut on Aberdeen player. The following week he was given a Civil Service Strollers game in Muirhouse.
    Worst ever was Bobby Davidson though

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    Worst ever was Bobby Davidson though
    Arrrrgh I thought I'd never hear that name again I'll need counselling again now.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    Is that serious?

@hibs.net private member
    At the moment , Kevin Clancy is the worst of the top division refs. I don't think I've ever seen him being remotely competent. I would say that Steven McLean is normally head and shoulders above the rest but I thought he was weak in the cup against the hatchet men

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    At the moment , Kevin Clancy is the worst of the top division refs. I don't think I've ever seen him being remotely competent. I would say that Steven McLean is normally head and shoulders above the rest but I thought he was weak in the cup against the hatchet men
    McLean has been garbage ever since we started getting him again once his brother left us.

McLean is generally a good ref, but is very lenient when it comes to punishing clogging.

This would be good if we were planning on booting a far superior team off the park, but we've had him twice against Aberdeen at home which is the nightmare scenario.

I normally like an unfussy ref who allows a physical game to flow, but you need to clamp down on the outright thuggery that the likes of Aberdeen and Hearts bring, and McLean doesn't do that.

Controversial but I’d say Craig Thomson is the best in the league currently, since that cup final he’s actually been alright in our games largely.

Worst has to be John Beaton, complete tool who can’t control matches.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    McLean is generally a good ref, but is very lenient when it comes to punishing clogging.

This would be good if we were planning on booting a far superior team off the park, but we've had him twice against Aberdeen at home which is the nightmare scenario.

I normally like an unfussy ref who allows a physical game to flow, but you need to clamp down on the outright thuggery that the likes of Aberdeen and Hearts bring, and McLean doesn't do that.
    Agree totally and IMO too many refs let kicking teams get away with too much. It seems like depending on the teams some players get away with clear yellows which only means they get another chance to boot someone. If that was controlled more then the league would be much more watchable. Far too may clogging teams in the league IMO.

Actually think Bobby Madden is the best though he too can be a bit slow in producing cards though you get the impression he does understand the game unlike some obvious others such as Collum/Clancy etc.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Don Roberston, our ref from Saturday. He is horrendous and has had much criticism this season from other teams as well. Look at the foul count on Saturday. Hibs 2 fouls won. Celtic 18 fouls won. Tell me he's not a homer.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    Tell them you are a Sevco fan and they'll dismiss the fine on appeal......