hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

If you could resign any past or present Hibs player…

….but they were of the same age and mindset of when they started their Hibs career back in the day, and you could give them one piece of advice then what would it be?

Mines would be Scott Allan, and the advice would be not to move to Celtic or Rangers.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Alex Edwards don’t rise to the bait it’s all part of the game

@hibs.net private member Groathillgrump's Avatar
    Franck Gaston Henri Sauzée

Turn down the position of manager if you're offered it.

John Collins - Modelled myself on his playing style, failed miserably but joking apart he was a great watch back in the day when I first started going along to Easter Road. - Don’t go to Celtic.

Latapy - magical wee player. Don’t go drinking before the cup final.

Big Frank! - Rolls Royce of a player. - Don’t take the managers job!
    Last edited by Greensunshine; 28-04-2024 at 06:47 PM.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Paco Luna - Don’t get your hair cut before the home game against AEK Athens. Another inch on that fringe and we were going 3 nil ahead.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: torto7062
    42 odd year following the Cabbage seen some fantastic players and a helluva **** dross lol.

Loved players like Liam Miller,Michael O'Neil, Mickey Weir and wee Russell Latapy all made it look simple when passing forward,
    Strikers like Riordan, O'connor,Stevie Cowan,Mixu and a certain Mr K Wright always brought pleasure with there goals,
    Keepers been spoiled Alan Rough mid 80s Cup games come to mind, Coogan,Marciano and if Course Andy Goram.
    Live the Willie Millers,Yogi's,Pat McGinlay's and Matty Jack's for the we're Hibs and your no beating us attitude.
    But only one man outside of that fantastic bunch would be my choice,never had him long enough but what we got will live forever....losing yer teeth scoring against the Gorgie tramps is up there with the best.....
    Mr Frank Sauzee.....

George Best and Steve Archibald and Gordon Smith in their prime.

Edit SJM as well
    Last edited by gbhibby; 28-04-2024 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ….but they were of the same age and mindset of when they started their Hibs career back in the day, and you could give them one piece of advice then what would it be?

Mines would be Scott Allan, and the advice would be not to move to Celtic or Rangers.
    Russell Latapy

“Don’t go changin’…”

@hibs.net private member
    The ideal two would be Scott Brown or John McGinn. Captain and leagues best midfielder sorted for over a decade however the advice not to leave Hibs would be poor advice and unfortunately wouldn’t be listed to.

With that considered it’s gonna be Frank Sauzee for me. Best player ever to wear the green and white and some much needed leadership to go along with the the talent. The con is obviously his age and the advise will be not to rush into management.

Paul Hartley.

Persuade big Eck to try you in midfield rather than on the wing.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    The ideal two would be Scott Brown or John McGinn. Captain and leagues best midfielder sorted for over a decade however the advice not to leave Hibs would be poor advice and unfortunately wouldn’t be listed to.

With that considered it’s gonna be Frank Sauzee for me. Best player ever to wear the green and white and some much needed leadership to go along with the the talent. The con is obviously his age and the advise will be not to rush into management.
    On a similar theme. Who was the better player while at Hibs, Brosn or McGinn? Not the levels they went on to reach after. Not sure I could choose between the two. Possibly McGinn, but also a recency bias at play.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    On a similar theme. Who was the better player while at Hibs, Brosn or McGinn? Not the levels they went on to reach after. Not sure I could choose between the two. Possibly McGinn, but also a recency bias at play.
    Scott Brown was unbelievable for Hibs. Think it gets forgotten how good he was because his game totally changed at Celtic and he was a dick on the park, which was all right when he was on your team but annoying when he wasn’t. Always remember his assist for Sproule, for the the second of his three goals at Ibrox. One of the best bits of midfield play you’ll ever see.

Scott Brown hands down for me. A huge part of that great Mowbray team. Fantastic attacking talent who - liked Didier Agathe - was converted into a more defensive player by Celtic. His dynamism, pace and talent were a joy to watch when he was here.

@hibs.net private member
    Erich Schaedler - Be yourself, never change, ****ing solid

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Groathillgrump View Post
    Franck Gaston Henri Sauzée

Turn down the position of manager if you're offered it.
    Same for me.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    This, in spades.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Brown for me, though I must say that McGinn has been excellent in a top four team in the EPL, which is above what I thought he would get to.

Brown is an interesting one because I never envisaged him going on to play the role he did for Celtic when he left us - or at least not until the very latter part of his career. Can’t argue with how his career panned out certainly, but his dynamism was probably his defining characteristic when he left us.

I honestly thought he’d go onto he a Scottish Roy Keane (who did eventually drop into being a holding midfielder also). Not exactly the same type of player but definite parallels for me.

Neither was the most technically gifted player you’ll ever see, but their energy to get up and down the park was immense. Their ability to impact games, both in an attacking sense and defensively, from sheer desire and will to win, was phenomenal.

Both weighed in with a good amount of goals too - a big indicator of how Celtic changed Brown’s game is the fact that he scored 20 goals in just over four seasons for us, and 46 in 14 years for them.

I actually think SJM’s desire and attitude trumps his technique too, but I do think he is more of a technician than Brown. Felt that he probably should have scored more for us, but certainly has improved in that regard for Villa and Scotland. Think he will ultimately prolong his career at a high level by dropping deeper as well.

Biggest regret with SJM was just that we only had him for one season in the top league. His ability to drive the team forward - like Brown’s - was amazing, and something we have largely lacked since.

Andy Goram for me

Interesting one. I would say, at the time of each, I’d have argued more for Brown going on to be the better player and achieving more of the two. I didn’t realise how good McGinn was until after Hibs. Brown’s success after us never surprised me at all.

But that’s maybe down to me not being so clued up on football as opposed to anything else!

You can’t really argue with Brown’s medal haul after leaving Hibs, and he had an ability to dominate a game from midfield for Celtic that we’ve not seen many players do to such effect in Scotland over the past couple of decades…

But I’d argue we actually got the best out of Brown. The energy pace, drive and character he brought to our team I’ve never seen before.

I think injury meant he had to tailor his game a bit, he lost a bit of the explosiveness, but he was an absolutely top, top player for us. It helped that he had a fair bit of quality around him in that team.

Riordan for me. Still one of the best ball strikers I have seen and either foot you knew 9 times out of ten he was hitting the target. He really was a superb player!

Peter Marinello.
    Stay another year.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Riordan, on the way out at 26, finished by 28 and show him the mindset of Hanlon and/or Lewis.

Even the mindset of Leigh would do who had a wonderful career and was much bigger and better bam.
    Last edited by The Baldmans Comb; Yesterday at 12:37 AM.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Comfortably John McGinn and it's not even close for me. He's easily the best player I've seen play for us. Top guy to boot

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Gordon Smith. Never saw him play but from what I’ve heard and read was some player.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

In recent times...John McGinn for me. Not just a great player but he seemed to unite the fans more than most. Inspirational player.

Scott Brown and John McGinn for me, just can’t separate them, both fantastic for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    Gordon Smith. Never saw him play but from what I’ve heard and read was some player.
    What advice could you give him though? The definition of a perfect career.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Pat Stanton, he had it all.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    My choice, that would limit the amount of crosses coming in