hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    @hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why not tell us that then?

Michael Stewart has questioned the timing of the bids as one of the main bidders is without a CEO just now.

I’m guessing that’s BT Sport and I would agree with him, would seem strange timing if that’s the case, what’s the rush?
    They still have a board in place.

They’ve recently lost Serie A as well so losing Scottish Football has left their cupboard fairly bare.

This wasn’t an expensive deal for them and chose not to bother.

I’m not annoyed at Sky for getting this. I’m more annoyed at BT for all that tub thumping about how important Scottish Football was to them and when it came to the crunch they showed how much it really meant to them.

The only positive for me is that it’s not gone anywhere else and I don’t need to subscribe to another channel

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Is the 4 home games a season thing still going to be in place? If so the good news is 2 massive games guaranteed (if we make too 6) on a Saturday afternoon.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Is the 4 home games a season thing still going to be in place? If so the good news is 2 massive games guaranteed (if we make too 6) on a Saturday afternoon.
    Yeah apparently the unpopular rule will still Be in place ...ugly sisters don't wantlots of their
    Home games on sky as it affects their sign ups for their in house tv offering
    From All their supporters abroad or using vpn

@hibs.net private member
    Chris McLaughlin on Twitter:

New SPFL broadcast deal (Sky/BBC/Premier Sports) worth around £160 million in total. Sky deal est at around £26 million a year. BT offer described to me as ‘woeful’ and ‘derisory’. Combined deal up around 20% on last contract.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SQHib View Post
    Yeah apparently the unpopular rule will still Be in place ...ugly sisters don't wantlots of their
    Home games on sky as it affects their sign ups for their in house tv offering
    From All their supporters abroad or using vpn
    Oh well, no derbies at Tynie on the telly then. That will be an utter shanner.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    good enough reason to drop BT after next season, wont be picking up premier sports though. I think the SPFL have done decent enough this time around. its not their fault BT didnt put together a decent package.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by DavieRoy View Post
    What we see today is that BT don’t ‘care’ about Scottish football, while we all look at the league deal, they have lost the league cup too. They have built up a niche of making out they care, they should have put their money where their mouth is.

Also on this issue, if they didn’t have a live game, they never did any of Scottish football programmes, nothing. They could have done a preview show from London but they only did extended build-up on a live game.

Sky will need to up their game when they get exclusive rights. I like what they did with Edinburgh Derby day in March, a whole day doing live stuff in the city. They did a good fixtures day and went around the clubs before the season started, they can do it when they want to.

More money and less games on TV, fair enough.
    I don't think it's that BT didn't care, I think the stark reality is that there just isn't that big a market for Scottish football outside of the small market that is Scotland.

Sky and BT will both know what revenue can be generated from Scottish games, and will have pitched their offers accordingly.

Like when Sky lost the Champions League to BT - Sky knew the viewing figures and had a ceiling as to what they'd offer for it. BT felt there was value there to get a foothold in the subscription TV market so over-paid relevant to the value of the product.

I know that some non-Glasgow televised games have been lucky to get into the tens of thousands of viewers on both Sky and BT - particularly if there's an English game competing for the viewers.

The SPFL had to take the biggest offer, even £1m/year split between the clubs will make a huge difference to the smaller teams in the league, so when it's many times more than that then the decision is a no-brainer.

Sky have to decide whether they're going to showcase Rangers and Celtc and play to a market that they already have, or showcase the whole league and try and get more viewers interested in it.

I'd put my house on them doing the former - there's very little incentive for them to invest more money into production for Scottish games, the harsh reality is that outside of Scotland, there aren't loads of folk who really care about watching Scottish football.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I don't think it's that BT didn't care, I think the stark reality is that there just isn't that big a market for Scottish football outside of the small market that is Scotland.

Sky and BT will both know what revenue can be generated from Scottish games, and will have pitched their offers accordingly.

Like when Sky lost the Champions League to BT - Sky knew the viewing figures and had a ceiling as to what they'd offer for it. BT felt there was value there to get a foothold in the subscription TV market so over-paid relevant to the value of the product.

I know that some non-Glasgow televised games have been lucky to get into the tens of thousands of viewers on both Sky and BT - particularly if there's an English game competing for the viewers.

The SPFL had to take the biggest offer, even £1m/year split between the clubs will make a huge difference to the smaller teams in the league, so when it's many times more than that then the decision is a no-brainer.

Sky have to decide whether they're going to showcase Rangers and Celtc and play to a market that they already have, or showcase the whole league and try and get more viewers interested in it.

I'd put my house on them doing the former - there's very little incentive for them to invest more money into production for Scottish games, the harsh reality is that outside of Scotland, there aren't loads of folk who really care about watching Scottish football.
    I think yer bang on here.

People are looking at this thinking cos the Premier League gets X - we should get X

The Premier League generates huge profits for Sky for the amount they pay and that’s where it gets it’s value.

The population of Scotland is 5 million as opposed to 55 million in England.

I’d be surprised if there are even 1 million Sky Sports subscribers in Scotland. That it’s not going to generate much profit and therefore disctates the value of their bid.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I take it that those of you saying Sky put no effort into Scottish football don’t have Sky?

They have plenty of other coverage on top of the games. There’s highlights, web content, interviews and specials from around the grounds and all sorts of other stuff.

BT’s coverage is great but they don’t do much else.

I’ve never seen an interview with Neil lennon on it or them broadcasting from East Mains or similar for example.

Anyways, more money is good. Well done Doncaster.

Coaching Staff
    Just listening to a report on radio re new deal for EFL. Some pretty unhappy clubs in the championship because they feel deal under values them. Leagues 1 & 2 now worried about a championship break away.
    Guess you can't please all the people all the time.

Took advantage of watching the Barca game via the STV Player. Stream was great but bizarrely dropped out seconds before each team scored! Anyone else encounter that?
    This is how it feels

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Took advantage of watching the Barca game via the STV Player. Stream was great but bizarrely dropped out seconds before each team scored! Anyone else encounter that?
    Must have just been the STV one. The Eleven Sports one was absolutely terrific.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    The same thing happened to the STV player during the World Cup this year. I missed the winner in Croatia v England because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Must have just been the STV one. The Eleven Sports one was absolutely terrific.
    Think I'll subscribe.
    This is how it feels