hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaststandee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There may not be a "machevellian scheme" to hinder Scottish football, but there is without a doubt strong disdain for Scottish football that comes from South of the border, you don't see this same contempt for the WPL, NIFL or IPD. When Scottish football gets any type of recognition or attention in online media from English Centric media, you see swarms of English football fans feeling the need to have a dig at our game, and IMO this does hinder our game.

Last week on a bus in Bangkok I was greeted with a manc accent giving it "you dont see many of them", a reference to my Hibs top. Followed by the usual pub football jibes. I enquired which team he supported, he replied FC United...... I just pissed in my pants it was the only response I could think of.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    So ‘someone’ said it, on talksport you ‘think’? And his words were ‘along the lines of’? The detail is great.

And yet, the ‘along the lines of’ statement, is exactly the situation as things stand - another broadcaster does have it, in tandem with sky.
    Do you want me to quote verbatim?
    I gave the general gist of the conversation
    And his words only reinforced what my own perception was of Sky’s relationship with Scottish football was
    And it seems, should you visit any Scottish teams forums debating this subject the general consensus
    BT got the scraps from the table that Sky didn’t want
    Sky could only really be half arsed with the Old Firm games and even then never promoted them beyond a mid day kick off. Even a Place v Leicester game would get a 2pm kick off ahead of the old Firm game
    Sky only paid a pittance

Quote Originally Posted by Montford View Post
    Do you want me to quote verbatim?
    I gave the general gist of the conversation
    And his words only reinforced what my own perception was of Sky’s relationship with Scottish football was
    And it seems, should you visit any Scottish teams forums debating this subject the general consensus
    BT got the scraps from the table that Sky didn’t want
    Sky could only really be half arsed with the Old Firm games and even then never promoted them beyond a mid day kick off. Even a Place v Leicester game would get a 2pm kick off ahead of the old Firm game
    Sky only paid a pittance

Verbatim? No.
    Actual facts, yes. So far, you’ve given no name, no quotes, no venue for this conversation/statement apart from ‘talksport you think’. It’s hearsay and your opinion that you’ve provided.

Also, what your quoted post above says is different to what you initially claimed. None of what you’ve just said is evidence of ‘sky keeping Scottish football in the shadows to mitigate competition from the English premier league’, which was what you said at first. Now what your describing is that sky aren’t interested in Scottish football much, and even then mostly old firm games.

I suspect that most old firm game kickoffs being midday is more likely to be at the insistence of police Scotland rather than any tv broadcaster, but never mind. Also, there tends to be adverts and talking head promotion of old firm games for weeks in advance.

Its fine though, you’ve told us your opinion, which youre perfectly entitled to have and to share here. I feel like this is now a sidetrack to the main point of the thread, so I’m out.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Sky, BT, Amazon, Eleven, Prime, YouTube Prime...where does it end?

It used to be that one subscription of £20 got you access to follow all of the games/teams/sports you wanted to watch. Now, to be able to watch everything, you need a £22 subscription to Sky, £20 subscription to BT, a £6 subscription to Eleven Sports, a £9.99 monthly Amazon Prime subscription...

For armchair sports fans, the televised market for sport has become increasingly unaffordable, and the free outlets such as the BBC continue haemorrhaging their sport coverage on a year on year basis.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

It used to be that one subscription of £20 got you access to follow all of the games/teams/sports you wanted to watch. Now, to be able to watch everything, you need a £22 subscription to Sky, £20 subscription to BT, a £6 subscription to Eleven Sports, a £9.99 monthly Amazon Prime subscription...

For armchair sports fans, the televised market for sport has become increasingly unaffordable, and the free outlets such as the BBC continue haemorrhaging their sport coverage on a year on year basis.
    I'd quite like eleven sports to get it. I could scale down my Virgin Media to remove Sky and BT Sports. I don't care too much about Bournemouth v Watford and the likes. Eleven Sports for £6pm sounds ideal!

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    I'd quite like eleven sports to get it. I could scale down my Virgin Media to remove Sky and BT Sports. I don't care too much about Bournemouth v Watford and the likes. Eleven Sports for £6pm sounds ideal!
    I’m the same. Not really interested in EPL so happy to just get whatever subscription the spfl is on. Can see EPL on Match of the Day anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member

Here lies the problem with more companies bidding and winning TV contracts. Ultimately it’s the fans that pay. Like many I have BT and Sky sports, I’m not sure I’d be willing to pay for another channel. Especially as I rarely watch Scottish football on tv. I’m a ST holder and go to away games so paying to watch our rivals play does not really interest me.

Was it really though?

I can't recall one provider having rights to EPL, La Liga, Serie A, SPL and Bundesliga not to mention UFC, boxing, NFL, NBA, rugby etc etc etc?

I watched The Milan Derby last night on Eleven Sport. Coverage was good, quality was on-par with HD Sky/BT. If they added SPFL to go with La Liga and Serie A I'd happily sign up at 6 quid a month.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    Was it really though?

I can't recall one provider having rights to EPL, La Liga, Serie A, SPL and Bundesliga not to mention UFC, boxing, NFL, NBA, rugby etc etc etc?

I watched The Milan Derby last night on Eleven Sport. Coverage was good, quality was on-par with HD Sky/BT. If they added SPFL to go with La Liga and Serie A I'd happily sign up at 6 quid a month.
    Certainly, in the 90s, Sky Sports had the EPL, Scottish football, La Liga, Boxing, Pool, Golf. You got the Italian football (channel 4) and formula one on terrestrial. Good times to be a sports fan and you didn't need 3 or 4 separate subscriptions.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    I think the tired old formula of just showing whichever OF team is away from home needs looked at. It's ridiculous that our game on Saturday, 2nd v 3rd in front of a full house isn't on but the spine tinglingly exciting Hamilton v New Huns, 9th vs 6th in a half built stadium is.

Plus OF fans get almost all their home games 3pm on a Saturday. The rest of us are shunted around all over the place.

Unless this changed I wouldn't be spending money on a subscription to watch Scottish football.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Was it really though?

You're right - there's a bit of exaggeration in my post, but certainly one subscription used to get you a LOT more than currently - popularity of different sports, personal preference will say some channels/packages are better than others, but on the whole, Sky Sports used to be FAR better for many that it is currently. The monopoly isn't good for anyone, as it means Sky have you over a barrel to a degree, but to my mind, the current overall model is a mess - half of the SPL games being on Sky, the other half on BT...

I'd much rather we move to a pay-per-view type model that allows you to chose the sports/leagues that you want to watch without having to fork out for 3 or 4 subscriptions just to tie it all together. Sky's idea of channels for specific sports is a step toward that, but if I passionately want to be able to watch the SPL, La Liga, NFL, Pro-14 and odd golf tournament, I need to pay Sky, BT, Eleven Sports and Premier Sports at a hellishly large premium. The current model really isn't friendly for customers.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Is it any wonder more and more folk (not me) are just paying a one off fee for iptv, and getting the lot?

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Football aside. News today that from 2020 sky may be now losing the Golf as well. PGA are to launch their on streaming service.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Verbatim? No.
    Actual facts, yes. So far, you’ve given no name, no quotes, no venue for this conversation/statement apart from ‘talksport you think’. It’s hearsay and your opinion that you’ve provided.

Also, what your quoted post above says is different to what you initially claimed. None of what you’ve just said is evidence of ‘sky keeping Scottish football in the shadows to mitigate competition from the English premier league’, which was what you said at first. Now what your describing is that sky aren’t interested in Scottish football much, and even then mostly old firm games.

I suspect that most old firm game kickoffs being midday is more likely to be at the insistence of police Scotland rather than any tv broadcaster, but never mind. Also, there tends to be adverts and talking head promotion of old firm games for weeks in advance.

Its fine though, you’ve told us your opinion, which youre perfectly entitled to have and to share here. I feel like this is now a sidetrack to the main point of the thread, so I’m out.
    They are only interested in Old Firm games like.

Thats why every Ugly Sisters away game so far this season...has been live.

Its like back in the day when it was the same...so not too affect their attendances.
    And 50% of revenue...rest being split amongst the rest.

Why do clubs even agree too this madness?
    Surely its not just me thats noticed the away game thing,and the impact it must have on every other team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    They are only interested in Old Firm games like.

Thats why every Ugly Sisters away game so far this season...has been live.

Its like back in the day when it was the same...so not too affect their attendances.
    And 50% of revenue...rest being split amongst the rest.

Why do clubs even agree too this madness?
    Surely its not just me thats noticed the away game thing,and the impact it must have on every other team.
    The average amount of games televised at home is 4-6. OF generally have 4 games televised at home. Us, Aberdeen and Hearts generally 6.

Prize money is based on league positions. Aberdeen earned more money last season than Rangers - despite Rangers being on TV about 15 times more than them.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Rugby league gets £40m a year from sky and their viewing figures are lower than the SPFL’s. We get 225,000 average per game to their 200,000 per game.

Big Aussie market for that also.

J

Left by mutual consent!
    The average amount of games televised at home is 4-6. OF generally have 4 games televised at home. Us, Aberdeen and Hearts generally 6.

Prize money is based on league positions. Aberdeen earned more money last season than Rangers - despite Rangers being on TV about 15 times more than them.
    Its Ugly Sister orientated though.

Every away game of theirs...has been on!
    None at home.

Its Ugly Sister orientated though.

Every away game of theirs...has been on!
    None at home.
    Course it is. They have a fanbase more than the rest of the country combined.

If you want the maximum return for TV rights, you've got to have the maximum amount of viewers tuning in. And like it or not that comes from OF Fans.

The less Hibs games on tele the better for me.

I actually think that if we really want to sell the game to broadcasters then we need to stop televising games from the smaller stadiums. It looks amateur and put people of watching.
    That means more games from Parkhead, Ibrox, Easter road, Tynecastle and Pittodrie but could result in a lot bigger deal. I would stop protecting the 3pm slot on Saturday as well. A lot of broadcasters would love to be able to show games then.

Left by mutual consent!
    Course it is. They have a fanbase more than the rest of the country combined.

If you want the maximum return for TV rights, you've got to have the maximum amount of viewers tuning in. And like it or not that comes from OF Fans.

The less Hibs games on tele the better for me.
    The point you are missing here is that they dont show the home ones...so not too affect their home revenue.
    But happy to play with every other teams revenue.

Against either 2,it was previously always a sell out.
    Now its not sell out for most teams...probably due to being on tv.
    So a loss of money too!

Anything to appease the unwashed.

The point you are missing here is that they dont show the home ones...so not too affect their home revenue.

So a loss of money too!

Any sensible TV deal has to give the home team a fee for hosting a live game.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Any sensible TV deal has to give the home team a fee for hosting a live game.
    It seems its position based.
    If not
    A few teams lose maybe 2000 fans for poxy money.
    Plus old firm get revenue...for EVERY away game.

Is it not obvious..its corrupt as ***

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    It seems its position based.
    If not
    A few teams lose maybe 2000 fans for poxy money.
    Plus old firm get revenue...for EVERY away game.

Is it not obvious..its corrupt as ***
    What money do the old firm get for every away game?

Hibs being on TV is good for Hibs in the long run. We should welcome the cameras as much as possible.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    They don't.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    Neither of the home nor away team get any money for a league game. Different for Cup matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    They don't.
    I knew that, but obviously some on here don’t 👍

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Neither of the home nor away team get any money for a league game. Different for Cup matches.
    Thanks for confirming 👍

Testimonial Due

So a loss of money too!

Surely its to maximise rheir viewing figures, nothing to do with revenue. Most of their fans are st holders anyway so it wouldnt make any difference.

Televise celtic at home, and you discount 50,000 people from watching. Televise them away, and you have just added most of those 50k (minus the away support) to your viewing figures.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...mpression=true

Apparently Sky set to win the new tv deal.

Think they are a dreadful broadcaster for Scottish Football so although the new financial deal looks good I hope they revamp their coverage completely. Get rid of Andy Walker and bring in Chris Sutton would be the first obvious change I would make.