hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Christian Nade

Left by mutual consent!
    [QUOTE=bigwheel;5579317]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Well, at least we now have the dictionary definition for "Lack of Empathy"
    I'm sure I'd find that funny if it wasn't for my own long history of mental illness. Where's your empathy

You know hee haw about me. If you want to deal with my points in a reasoned manner, fine, but cut the virtue signalling.

By the way, I'm sure you'd be happy if Neil Lennon fielded 11 basket cases who could not run in the right direction and would empathise with the kicking the opposition gave us.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesFamau5 View Post

Spot on.

Another example of people in prominent sports is the NFL.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/steve-...ression-2018-8

These are guys that get paid millions to literally run into other blokes over and over again (simplifying for those unsure of American Football haha)

By the logic of some people on here, they shouldn't be doing it at all if they're "not well enough to handle it".... One thing I have learnt from my own struggles with depression is you have good days, bad days, great days and terrible days. Some come in 2s or 3s and some come in 6s or 7s. Fact is their is no pattern and anything can trigger the negative or self deprecating feelings to creep back.

For example today I feel great, I am feeling productive and confident, yet this time yesterday I was quiet reserved and trying to smile when all I wanted to do was hide away from the world. Their is no play book on depression or mental health, those who choose to demonise and stigma it are just fanning the flames of doubt for those to scared to come forward.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion on things, but some should maybe not voice it publicly

GGTTH!
    Who decides what opinions can and can't be voiced publicly? This is getting good.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    So if you were off work with stress or some sort of emotional issue, you wouldn't expect to be paid?
    Actually, yes. I am self employed.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Actually, yes. I am self employed.
    Fair enough.

So you'll know better than most about the need to manage your health, both physical and mental, in order to maximise your income.

Just as Miranda Hart, Christian Nade and Neil Lennon do.

Left by mutual consent!
    Fair enough.

So you'll know better than most about the need to manage your health, both physical and mental, in order to maximise your income.

Just as Miranda Hart, Christian Nade and Neil Lennon do.
    We are singing from the same hymn sheet.

See Me, not the disability. Dont define people by their illness. Don't offer sympathy when you don't understand what you are talking about.

Politicians have been pressing this mental health button for at least two years. What we have now is loads of people saying what they think sounds right, but who have not made any effort to understand ALL the issues.

It is not helping the mentally ill one bit

We are singing from the same hymn sheet.

See Me, not the disability. Dont define people by their illness. Don't offer sympathy when you don't understand what you are talking about.

Politicians have been pressing this mental health button for at least two years. What we have now is loads of people saying what they think sounds right, but who have not made any effort to understand ALL the issues.

It is not helping the mentally ill one bit
    In the words of McCoist, A... "who are these people?".

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Who decides what opinions can and can't be voiced publicly? This is getting good.
    He's a professional footballer. He has to be a competitor to do his job. If he can't handle fans abuse, how is he meant to handle the bigger stress of winning or losing

If he can't, then he needs to find another job. This is like when Miranda Hart complained of chronic anxiety before going on stage.

Dont go on stage then, find a less stressful job

OK let me rephrase it for you seeing as how you are clearly going at everyone who dares question you..

Your post above is the exact reason why opinions should at least be reviewed before posting then..... Better?

@hibs.net private member
    Put it this way, if you can't do the job due to stress, you don't get paid. It's a no brainer really.

If you can do the job in the presence of it, well done.

I've already mentioned transference. Seems to me people are treating professional football as if it is the job they do. It's not.

Leave out the virtue signalling with the "perpetuating the stigma" crap please.You know hee haw about me.
    You are correct I don't know anything about you.
    That is my opinion though about statements such as that.

You do come across as having quite an uncaring attitude to this from your posts. I don't think it is as black and white as you make out.

There are plenty of instances of professional athletes who have suffered stress and couldn't perform for a while, but when well were at the top end of their sport, and I would imagine a number of them earned money during their absence due to contracts they had. I don't see how that matches with your opinion of stress and not being able to do the job.

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=Chic Murray;5579333]
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

I'm sure I'd find that funny if it wasn't for my own long history of mental illness. Where's your empathy

You know hee haw about me. If you want to deal with my points in a reasoned manner, fine, but cut the virtue signalling.

By the way, I'm sure you'd be happy if Neil Lennon fielded 11 basket cases who could not run in the right direction and would empathise with the kicking the opposition gave us.

There was no moral or pious intent to my post...I am not judging you as a person. I am responding to the content of your post. I was (and still am) stunned by the implied lack suggested empathy for the person. Particularly in light of this reply and some of the other "see the person not the illness" points you are making. As an observation, you seem to often attack the poster rather than the content, when you don't like the message.

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say with the section in bold.

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Chic Murray;5578876]
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post

He's a professional footballer. He has to be a competitor to do his job. If he can't handle fans abuse, how is he meant to handle the bigger stress of winning or losing

If he can't, then he needs to find another job. This is like when Miranda Hart complained of chronic anxiety before going on stage.

Dont go on stage then, find a less stressful job.
    Aye well done, you're helping prepare him. Part of the coaching team really....!

I have seldom read such a load of tripe on this board!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Because no one should have to change jobs because they are ill
    QUOTE=kaimendhibs;5579215]Heard it all now. Utter bullshut

Why do you say you that?
    Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post

Quite correct.

But if you know it is the job that is making you unwell is it the best idea to try and continue on that path. Not trying to start an argument, but I can see it from both sides. Why put oneself through the torture if there are other less difficult options. The ability to make such a call is probably easier for someone who is financially secure, ie footballer, comedian, than someone working a 'normal' job.

That said employers should be doing all they can to help.

Spot on.

Another example of people in prominent sports is the NFL.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/steve-...ression-2018-8

These are guys that get paid millions to literally run into other blokes over and over again (simplifying for those unsure of American Football haha)

By the logic of some people on here, they shouldn't be doing it at all if they're "not well enough to handle it".... One thing I have learnt from my own struggles with depression is you have good days, bad days, great days and terrible days. Some come in 2s or 3s and some come in 6s or 7s. Fact is their is no pattern and anything can trigger the negative or self deprecating feelings to creep back.

For example today I feel great, I am feeling productive and confident, yet this time yesterday I was quiet reserved and trying to smile when all I wanted to do was hide away from the world. Their is no play book on depression or mental health, those who choose to demonise and stigma it are just fanning the flames of doubt for those to scared to come forward.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion on things, but some should maybe not voice it publicly

GGTTH!
    Good for you, I hear where you are coming from have been in the dark days myself on many occasions, but like the weather they do pass.
    Glad I started this thread as if it even helps one person one little bit and adds to the discussion about how mad or not we all are then great, (I find humour helps).
    Even the daft opinions are worth reading as they solicit some good replies and the more people speak about this the bloody better as far as I am concerned. I have worked in some of the highest stressed jobs available in civilian life most done in another country or two or three with all that you have to contend with. But I never let the *******s get me down as I have learned to deal with my own mental state most of the time. Not easy, but if I can do it then most will be able to as well. Speak about things is the advice I was given, dont be afraid to ask for help was the other most important bit of advice I ever got.
    So **** them all I say, and lets get on with trying to win this league.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member
    So is he still a fat bxxxxxd?

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    We need a soapbox board.

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    So is he still a fat bxxxxxd?
    I think you would have to ask him that yourself.

[QUOTE=Chic Murray;5579333]
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

Maybe the next time Neil Lennon has a downturn we should just tell him to get another job!

Left by mutual consent!

Of course not, but often they do. I know people who can't work on the roofs because there knees are shot. Likewise we have lost players to injury before their time.

A compassionate club would judge the player on their performances. If mental illness was impacting on it, it would be the same as any other performance limiting factor.

If you've got a broken leg, you don't make the team; if depression is causing you fatigue, or to get sent off too often, or effecting your concentration, you'd also be rested.

Clubs would give the player time to reflect overcome their physical or mental challenges, but all concerned may agree enough is enough, and the contract may not be renewed

Then it's a case of the player trying to find another club, or decide to retire.

That's all I'm trying to get across. Mental illness (and it is a massive spectrum) is no different from any other. We should be compassionate, but ultimately we would be doing someone a disservice if we didn't recognise their shortcomings.

A lot of second guessing how someone would respond to what people say, on here. My depression would not improve if I was not performing at the level required.

Left by mutual consent!
    [QUOTE=A Hi-Bee;5579501]

Maybe the next time Neil Lennon has a downturn we should just tell him to get another job!
    I'm pretty sure many will if results were poor. Don't kid yourself, and don't think he wouldn't know whether he needed to go.

There was very little concern about his mental health before he was our manager.

And how would we know he was low anyway? What nonsense some of you speak about mental health.

[QUOTE=Chic Murray;5579506]
    Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post

I'm pretty sure many will if results were poor. Don't kid yourself, and don't think he wouldn't know whether he needed to go.

There was very little concern about his mental health before he was our manager.

And how would we know he was low anyway? What nonsense some of you speak about mental health.
    Each to their own when it comes to mental health my friend.

Left by mutual consent!
    In the words of McCoist, A... "who are these people?".
    Politicians, pharmaceutical companies, an army of psychology graduates, the work shy, drug abusers, poor parents, the list goes on and on.

That will go down well, I'm sure. I would also add that there are numbers of people in the same categories that have made an effort

I found this a fascinating read, https://www.gov.scot/Publications/2009/05/06154655/0

Why is this not an integral part of all government policy? Is it because it's much cheaper to throw SSRIs at the problem then give people a meaningful existence?

Left by mutual consent!
    [QUOTE=A Hi-Bee;5579509]

Each to their own when it comes to mental health my friend.
    What does that even mean?

Left by mutual consent!

Dont go on stage then, find a less stressful job

OK let me rephrase it for you seeing as how you are clearly going at everyone who dares question you..

Your post above is the exact reason why opinions should at least be reviewed before posting then..... Better?
    Do you mean because somebody won't like what I'm saying, because it goes against their orthodoxy? Got you.

I actually don't get you. What do you mean?

[QUOTE=Chic Murray;5579511]
    Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post

What does that even mean?
    It means that we all deal with our ***** in different ways no one size fits all, now I shall go an get ma tea, mabe even lie doon in a darkened room for a while.

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Do you mean because somebody won't like what I'm saying, because it goes against their orthodoxy? Got you.

I actually don't get you. What do you mean?
    Do you know what... I'm done with you. I do not have the mental capacity to reply to your constant attempts to start some argument with me.

I have made my point, your initial post was critical of people in high profile roles with mental health issues, or so it seemed. If I got it wrong then my bad.

This is me washing my hands of this conversation...

Left by mutual consent!
    [QUOTE=A Hi-Bee;5579514]

It means that we all deal with our ***** in different ways no one size fits all, now I shall go an get ma tea, mabe even lie doon in a darkened room for a while.
    Right.

Left by mutual consent!
    Do you know what... I'm done with you. I do not have the mental capacity to reply to your constant attempts to start some argument with me.

I have made my point, your initial post was critical of people in high profile roles with mental health issues, or so it seemed. If I got it wrong then my bad.

This is me washing my hands of this conversation...
    Yeah, definite communication breakdown.

Nice talking about you.
    Last edited by Chic Murray; 18-10-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Politicians, pharmaceutical companies, an army of psychology graduates, the work shy, drug abusers, poor parents, the list goes on and on.

That will go down well, I'm sure. I would also add that there are numbers of people in the same categories that have made an effort

I found this a fascinating read, https://www.gov.scot/Publications/2009/05/06154655/0

Why is this not an integral part of all government policy? Is it because it's much cheaper to throw SSRIs at the problem then give people a meaningful existence?
    It's a Scottish government paper, so is it not policy? Or at least a step towards policy?

On the subject of cost, the current darling of the NHS is CBT, so presumably the cost of that is not seen as prohibitive. That's a step forward IMO, but still a long way away from holistic approaches for individuals and the admission of other talking therapies. It remains the case that those who would benefit the most from access to the likes of hypnotherapy are those who can least afford it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 18-10-2018 at 07:54 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Some of the posts on this thread are at best embarrassing and at worst are pathetic.