hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Australia considers embassy move to Jerusalem

Pretty brave move from the old Aussies if they go ahead with it .

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty brave move from the old Aussies if they go ahead with it .

Great. Trump pours petrol on the flames and Australia feels the need to throw more on.

What conceivable sensible strategic reason could there be for Australia to conduct such an action in this geographical location?

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Great. Trump pours petrol on the flames and Australia feels the need to throw more on.

What conceivable sensible strategic reason could there be for Australia to conduct such an action in this geographical location?
    None available - so how about a by-election in an Oz constituency with a sizeable Jewish vote?

Yes, really.

Capital of Israel so I don't see any issue.

This is all leading up to the Dome of the Rock being demolished and the Third Temple being built then the Jewish messiah will reign over the world.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post
    This is all leading up to the Dome of the Rock being demolished and the Third Temple being built then the Jewish messiah will reign over the world.
    ...alternatively, it might mean that the Aussie PM keeps his job a few months longer.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    ...alternatively, it might mean that the Aussie PM keeps his job a few months longer.
    Could be both!?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Could be both!?
    Right.

"Hey, God, that guy Morrison wants to move his office so that he can keep his job".

"Oy vey, what do I care? I keep my job, no matter what those schmucks down there think."

Nae smiley?

Testimonial Due
    To be fair... is that not how the dome of the rock got their in the first place? What goes around...

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Capital of Israel so I don't see any issue.
    A genius speaks.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    None available - so how about a by-election in an Oz constituency with a sizeable Jewish vote?

Yes, really.
    Imagine my ****ing surprise.

No, it isn't.

Without wishing to start trouble (!?!?) what is this Dome of the Rock and Third Temple business all about?

I know very little about the Middle East and I'm not religious, but I am interested in the history of the region as well as the ongoing geo- political issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Without wishing to start trouble (!?!?) what is this Dome of the Rock and Third Temple business all about?

I know very little about the Middle East and I'm not religious, but I am interested in the history of the region as well as the ongoing geo- political issues.
    The Dome of the Rock is an Islamic shrine on Temple Mount in Jerusalem. Muslims believe it is where Muhammad began his journey to heaven. It's built on the site of the 2nd Jewish Temple which was desttoyed during the Roman siege about 30 years after the death of Christ.

Some Jews believe a 3rd temple is required to fulfil the prophecy of a Messiah. Catholics and Orthodox Christians believe Jesus was said Messiah and the new covenant superseded the need for a temple as the Holy Spirit forms a part of the tenple in each of us. We/they believe the consecration, celebration and consumption of the Eucharist and it's direct link to Christs death and resurection are of greater importance than a literal, earthly temple. I think the various Protestant churches attach varying degrees of importance to the 3rd temple.

Muslims obviously oppose a 3rd temple as it would involve the destruction of a Mosque and the Dome. Temple Mount is regarded as the 3rd holiest site in Islam.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The Dome of the Rock is an Islamic shrine on Temple Mount in Jerusalem. Muslims believe it is where Muhammad began his journey to heaven. It's built on the site of the 2nd Jewish Temple which was desttoyed during the Roman siege about 30 years after the death of Christ.

Some Jews believe a 3rd temple is required to fulfil the prophecy of a Messiah. Catholics and Orthodox Christians believe Jesus was said Messiah and the new covenant superseded the need for a temple as the Holy Spirit forms a part of the tenple in each of us. We/they believe the consecration, celebration and consumption of the Eucharist and it's direct link to Christs death and resurection are of greater importance than a literal, earthly temple. I think the various Protestant churches attach varying degrees of importance to the 3rd temple.

Muslims obviously oppose a 3rd temple as it would involve the destruction of a Mosque and the Dome. Temple Mount is regarded as the 3rd holiest site in Islam.
    I went there last week when I was over in Israel for the Scotland game. Jerusalem was the highlight of the trip for me. I have done a bit of reading since I got back. The place is chock full of religious history and significance. I recommend going if you can.

J

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    I went there last week when I was over in Israel for the Scotland game. Jerusalem was the highlight of the trip for me. I have done a bit of reading since I got back. The place is chock full of religious history and significance. I recommend going if you can.

J
    Would absolutely love to go - was it safe enough?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Onviously it was a massibe coincidende that when the arabs took over the city, tye site they had to build on just so happened to be the site of the most holy momument un judaism. A bit like how they turned the hagia sofia into a mosque when it was built as a basilica by the byzaintines (i think).

Now the jews habe it back, i think the more hardline right wingers in irseael want the dome of the rock to be demolished. I think that woyld almost certainly spark a major war in the region. But then religious armies fighting ovwr jerusalem is hardly a new thing is it...!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Onviously it was a massibe coincidende that when the arabs took over the city, tye site they had to build on just so happened to be the site of the most holy momument un judaism. A bit like how they turned the hagia sofia into a mosque when it was built as a basilica by the byzaintines (i think).

Now the jews habe it back, i think the more hardline right wingers in irseael want the dome of the rock to be demolished. I think that woyld almost certainly spark a major war in the region. But then religious armies fighting ovwr jerusalem is hardly a new thing is it...!
    Slightly unfair given that the Romans knocked down the 2nd temple 6 centuries or so before Islam even got going!

Would absolutely love to go - was it safe enough?
    Me too, and Egypt. Actually probably moreso Egypt because everyone is there for the history. I find the situation of being a heathen in among tons of the devout slightly unsetlling.

Testimonial Due
    Slightly unfair given that the Romans knocked down the 2nd temple 6 centuries or so before Islam even got going!
    But the site was still there, and presumably the jews still prayed at the western wall?

I dont know, im just saying it seems a helluva coincidence that old mo coyld have ascended to heaven from any spot in the world, but he chose the most holy site in its major rival religion to do so.

But maybe im just being cynical...😀

Testimonial Due
    Me too, and Egypt. Actually probably moreso Egypt because everyone is there for the history. I find the situation of being a heathen in among tons of the devout slightly unsetlling.
    Yeah, just think of the tourism industry if it was a stable region. I just wouldnt risk egypt just now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post

J
    It's definitely on the to do list. One of the local Church of Scotland Ministers near me is arranging a Holy Land pilgrimage open to all the local Churches but the cost and having a 1 year old is a bit prohibitive at the moment. The whole development and doctrine of the western faiths fascinates me.

But the site was still there, and presumably the jews still prayed at the western wall?

I dont know, im just saying it seems a helluva coincidence that old mo coyld have ascended to heaven from any spot in the world, but he chose the most holy site in its major rival religion to do so.

But maybe im just being cynical...��
    I'm almost certain it wasn't a coincidence. Jerusalem is such a powerful draw for all the major mono-theistic religions it seems an obvious place for the 'new kid on the block' to choose as a shrine for added significance. I suppose whether it was an overtly hostile act is the question.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

But maybe im just being cynical...😀
    Aiui (ie. sketchily), in a similar way to how christianity builds on judaism, islam builds on them both, eg. venerates various old testament prophets etc. So it's likely that judaism assigning sacred status to the temple mount has carry over effects for the 2 upstarts.

Testimonial Due
    Aiui (ie. sketchily), in a similar way to how christianity builds on judaism, islam builds on them both, eg. venerates various old testament prophets etc. So it's likely that judaism assigning sacred status to the temple mount has carry over effects for the 2 upstarts.
    Yeah fair points - given the tooing and froing, and the inportance of symbolism to all the abarahamic religions, i doubt it was an entirely benign act. But equally, apparently we Christians turned it into a church when we ruled jerusalen, again i doubt this was benign.

In fact, given the historic paralells, maybe the modern israel deserves some credit for this not being a mainstream proposition (at least at the moment!)

Welcome brother to the life of the Unionist on .net.

@hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Welcome brother to the life of the Unionist on .net.
    I'd say the number of unionists on here (despite the absolute hell that awaits our country) is extremely worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    I'd say the number of unionists on here (despite the absolute hell that awaits our country) is extremely worrying.
    I'm trying to work out if you are arguing against Independence or Brexit. The language is identical in either case.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.