hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

First Team Breakthrough

Bars near Celtic Park

Been to Celtic Park before but never gone out drinking hard liquour before a match there. That may change on Saturday though, and wondering where to / where not to go near the ground. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by skankomcphee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Been to Celtic Park before but never gone out drinking hard liquour before a match there. That may change on Saturday though, and wondering where to / where not to go near the ground. Thanks in advance.
    Last year my brother and I walked into a bar called the crimson star not realising it was a rangers bar. It's actually quite notorious for trouble so I think we got lucky we were only chased out

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    Last year my brother and I walked into a bar called the crimson star not realising it was a rangers bar. It's actually quite notorious for trouble so I think we got lucky we were only chased out
    Went in to use the facilities on the way to the Barras for a gig many years ago. Terrifying place. Red hands and balaclava wearing folk painted on the wall. Framed pictures of the queen, Andy Goram, etc. to.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Went in to use the facilities on the way to the Barras for a gig many years ago. Terrifying place. Red hands and balaclava wearing folk painted on the wall. Framed pictures of the queen, Andy Goram, etc. to.
    It's quite funny looking back but it could have turned out a lot differently. Didn't help that I started arguing with the guy as he didn't actually explain why he was forcing us out the door.

Left by mutual consent!
    We went to the Louden before the game in January. Very welcoming considering the reputation. As we were playing no one seemed to mind us.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackh View Post
    We went to the Louden before the game in January. Very welcoming considering the reputation. As we were playing no one seemed to mind us.
    Visited the Louden before the rugby 7s at Ibrox in the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Survived, despite @frazerbob wearing shorts which prominently displayed the harp tattooed on his calf!

Visited one or two of the bars opposite the Barras before a gig last year. A bit surreal to find pubs flying the tricolor on their roofs in the east end of Glasgow!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    Visited one or two of the bars opposite the Barras before a gig last year. A bit surreal to find pubs flying the tricolor on their roofs in the east end of Glasgow!

There's a shop come office along there that claims to be involved in standing up for the oppressed Irish in Scotland (dunno what century they think it is) but is basically just a propaganda centre for the uglier elements of Irish Republicanism.

When some mates from Austria went to watch Rapid at Celtc Park a few years back, they commented not only on how hideous the area was, but what a backward looking, 'ugly'* people they encountered.

* Not ugly in looks, but in their attitudes, prejudices and beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    Tim and Ken, a couple of my pals blagged tickets for Celtic v Motherwell from Pat Nevin (brother-in-law to Ken). That was when Pat was MD at Motherwell. They went in one of the pubs before the match and found it had a hand grenade behind the bar along with the usual IRA memorabilia. Apparently it was thrown at Gerry Adams but failed to go off. Or so the landlord claimed!

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Tim and Ken, a couple of my pals blagged tickets for Celtic v Motherwell from Pat Nevin (brother-in-law to Ken). That was when Pat was MD at Motherwell. They went in one of the pubs before the match and found it had a hand grenade behind the bar along with the usual IRA memorabilia. Apparently it was thrown at Gerry Adams but failed to go off. Or so the landlord claimed!

Aye, was he charging to have your picture taken with it as well?

The Real McCoy on London Road is ok.

It will be busy and it's sometimes home fans only but if you keep yourself to yourself it's unlikely you'll have any bother (beyond the patronising 'we dinnae mind youse by the way big man bud' stuff).
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Springfield vaults is ok if you dont mind drinking in a total dump. We queued to get in last time, they don't mind Hibs fans coming in. It will be rammed though.

McKinnon's under the rail bridge at the start of the Gallowgate is a good wee pub. It'll be busy so get in early, say about 8am when it opens! You'll have to have "breakfast" at that hour. A sausage sandwich will suffice.

Some interesting pubs around the Baras, if you dont mind plastic glasses, everything bolted down and rebels songs pounding out the speakers. Not had any bother tho.

Quote Originally Posted by norhfc View Post
    Some interesting pubs around the Baras, if you dont mind plastic glasses, everything bolted down and rebels songs pounding out the speakers. Not had any bother tho.
    The 'Sarry Heed' down the Barras is a good pub.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Saint Lukes and the Winged Ox, just past the Barrowlands is quite nice. It seems to be free from many of the other pitfalls associated with bars east of High Street in that it's not a "Celtc Pub".

You won't get the rebel ***** blasting out the speakers, there's no national flags in sight and no provo memorabilia behind the bar.

Otherwise, it's a struggle to find somewhere civil. I tend to avoid drinking too far east, or too far west of the city centre these days. Far too many rat pits on both sides!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Saint Lukes and the Winged Ox, just past the Barrowlands is quite nice. It seems to be free from many of the other pitfalls associated with bars east of High Street in that it's not a "Celtc Pub".

You won't get the rebel ***** blasting out the speakers, there's no national flags in sight and no provo memorabilia behind the bar.

Otherwise, it's a struggle to find somewhere civil. I tend to avoid drinking too far east, or too far west of the city centre these days. Far too many rat pits on both sides!
    Had heard of that venue but hadn't looked at it any detail - looks pretty decent. Another good spot, particularly for a pre-match lunch, would be the rapidly changing Duke St - while still book ended by the East End's branch of the Louden Tavern, places like Redmonds, Coia's Cafe and the Duchess are pretty decent non-partisan venues in a rapidly gentrifying scene. About a 20 minute walk.

For a long time in Glasgow there have been murmurings that the East End's stretch of Duke Street would rise to rival Byres Road in the West End - we're still probably some way away from that but worth a look nonetheless. Celino's on Alexandra Parade, about another 5-10 minute walk north, is also a decent pre-match scran shout.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    When I worked for a while in the Saltmarket I occasionally drank in the Tolbooth, which is the last pub before the Saltmarket meets the Gallowgate (at the Tolbooth, basically 😁). Good old traditional pub, definitely a Celtic bar but not overtly so in terms of decour. Nice pint of Guinness at a price you'll not find in Edinburgh.
    Disclaimer: not been there for 4 years, so just assuming it hasn't changed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

Went to Tolbooth for both games last season and a decent enough spot. Saint Luke’s is a good shout - have been to a couple of gigs there but never thought about it as a pre match pit stop.

When I worked for a while in the Saltmarket I occasionally drank in the Tolbooth, which is the last pub before the Saltmarket meets the Gallowgate (at the Tolbooth, basically 😁). Good old traditional pub, definitely a Celtic bar but not overtly so in terms of decour. Nice pint of Guinness at a price you'll not find in Edinburgh.
    Disclaimer: not been there for 4 years, so just assuming it hasn't changed!
    Last edited by SideBurns; 16-10-2018 at 09:55 AM.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Maggie May's isn't too far away from Barras if you're in that sort of vacinity, decent pub with good beer and good music.

Down the gallowgate, something different eh..

@hibs.net private member
    What are the two called right at the stadium?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    ****holes

The Vaults 😷

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    The Real McCoy and The Oak Bar, formerly utter dumps The London Road Tavern and Springfield Vaults. Haven’t been in either for years so no idea how they compare to before.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

Turnstiles and the Springfield vaults. Both absolute dives.

@hibs.net private member
    Didn't go to the pub after all. I'd been at a party the Friday and was burst.

Blog Entries
    We were in The Hoops on the Gallowgate. Plenty Hibs fans in making plenty of noise & the singer, mostly rebel songs, played SOL at his break.

@hibs.net private member Monktonhall 7's Avatar
    We went to the Winged Ox at Bain st on the Gallowgate. Decent boozer wi decent pub grub available. Good atmosphere too, with a good few Hibbies in.

I discovered that Celtc Park is the perfect place to go if you want to buy an Irish Flag with a picture of the Pope, a scarf celebrating the Easter Rising... or a DVD of the Pogues singing Rebel Songs while dressed as Leprechauns.

I also discovered that many of them do NOT like it when some guy walks along the Gallowgate singing Flower of Scotland at the top of his voice (whoever he was).