hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tonight's games

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I honestly believe this England team is going to be a major force in the years to come.

Joke all you want, but England might be serious contenders in the next two World Cups.

Meanwhile, Scotland...............
    They'll bottle it when it really matters like they always do.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    They'll bottle it when it really matters like they always do.
    Like Hibs in that respect.

Oh wait ...
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I still think the lack of English players playing in their premier league bound to stop them making the next step up to become tournament winners.

That was a terrific result for them tonight though, rode their luck int he second half but you’ve always got to do that against the top sides.

During England’s recent struggles when they kept changing one high profile manager for another I wonder how many would have picked Gareth Southgate as the one to turn it around? I think there’s similarities with Scotland there. We need to forget appointing ‘a name’ and find someone with a genuine vision and a plan. Imo the best person will probably be someone most people aren’t thinking of or possibly even heard of.

Henri Anier scored for Estonia tonight and Glen Kamara scored for Finland.
    Last edited by SChibs; 15-10-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    Henri Skier scored for Estonia tonight and Glen Kamara scored for Finland.
    I heard that Henri slalomed through several defenders before slotting it home. It's downhill all the way for him from here though.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I heard that Henri slalomed through several defenders before slotting it home. It's downhill all the way for him from here though.
    Bloody autocorrect.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I still think the lack of English players playing in their premier league bound to stop them making the next step up to become tournament winners.

That was a terrific result for them tonight though, rode their luck int he second half but you’ve always got to do that against the top sides.

During England’s recent struggles when they kept changing one high profile manager for another I wonder how many would have picked Gareth Southgate as the one to turn it around? I think there’s similarities with Scotland there. We need to forget appointing ‘a name’ and find someone with a genuine vision and a plan. Imo the best person will probably be someone most people aren’t thinking of or possibly even heard of.
    With regard to the point about English players making the step-up in the EPL, I think Jadon Sancho is probably emblematic of how they address that. There's no doubt that the top academies have talented players who often struggle to force their way into selection contention.

The top European leagues are so visible now and managers and coaches move so frequently between nations that if a Mason Mount or Phil Foden are kicking their heels at their parent club they should be able to get a loan or permanent move to a Bundesliga or La Liga team, albeit maybe not the biggest club but one where they have the chance of regular football and the opportunity to show what they're made of.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Like Hibs in that respect.

Oh wait ...
    Hibs waited 114 years. I'd be fine with England waiting that long.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    I honestly believe this England team is going to be a major force in the years to come.

Joke all you want, but England might be serious contenders in the next two World Cups.

Meanwhile, Scotland...............
    Agreed. International football is becoming more and more like club football - you need a tight knit team who are used to playing alongside each other. After years of trying to shoehorn Lampard and Gerrard into the same midfield they’re building for the future.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Brazil vs Argentina on Freeport at 7 tonight

Ukraine and Georgia are the first two qualifiers for the knockout phase of the tournament.

France beat Germany after being 1 down at half time. Germany have to beat Netherlands to have any chance of avoiding relegation.

Gibraltar win again.

This tournament's working.

Left by mutual consent!
    Wales looking excellent without Bale and Ramsey, really good group of youngsters coming through

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Wales looking excellent without Bale and Ramsey, really good group of youngsters coming through
    Wales were fast and comfortable with the ball, something sadly lacking in Scottish football players.

What on earth's happened to Germany?

Since qualifying for the World Cup, they have only won 3 out of their last 13 matches.

The majority of these have been friendlies but their World Cup campaign was a disaster and they're now on the brink of being relegated from the elite group of nations in the Nations League.

They also had the unwelcome distraction of the incident with Mesut Özil and İlkay Gündoğan, which overshadowed their preparation for the World Cup.

There is something clearly not quite right in the German camp and there doesn't appear to be many signs of things turning around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    What on earth's happened to Germany?

Since qualifying for the World Cup, they have only won 3 out of their last 13 matches.

The majority of these have been friendlies but their World Cup campaign was a disaster and they're now on the brink of being relegated from the elite group of nations in the Nations League.

They also had the unwelcome distraction of the incident with Mesut Özil and İlkay Gündoğan, which overshadowed their preparation for the World Cup.

There is something clearly not quite right in the German camp and there doesn't appear to be many signs of things turning around.
    Their team is still unbelievable, so much talent. Probably just need fresh ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Their team is still unbelievable, so much talent. Probably just need fresh ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    They seem to have a lot of individual talent but don't look much like a team at the moment.

I actually thought they were a bit unlucky at the World Cup. They played some decent stuff in patches but were wasteful in front of goal and hit with some sucker punches. They looked like the type f team that if they'd scraped through the group might have been one of those who start slowly and grow into the competition.

I can't remember who their striker was but he was guff, and if they'd had a Miroslav Klose (far from the best striker in the world but effective at that level) playing for them then they'd have probably been fine.