hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Absent Friends

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar

Absent Friends

Of the many initiatives that we have seen during the Dempster era that have brought this club back to its founding roots and values I think the Absent Friends initiative has been excellent over the past couple of years:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/8062
    http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/6912 - great clip with Tom Wright on this one too.

Hoping we'll see similar for the St Johnstone and Dundee games this November.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Disappointed to see - unless there are plans for this weekend and next of which I am unaware - that this is the second year in succession that Absent Friends hasn't been run by the club. It might seem like a minor grumble but this was a widely lauded initiative at the time which brought much solace and comfort to many, and I would anticipate wasn't that much of a resource burden to pull together.

That's a shame.

I've said for a while that rather than individual minutes applause and so on during the season for fans who have passed we should have one day to acknowledge all who have passed away. November would seem a perfect time to do it. It's near the end of the calendar year and dating back to pagan times through Hallowtide and Christianity and since the 20th century with Remembrance Day Novmeber has always been a month of remeberance.

A couple of pages in the programme given over for people to put the name of their loved ones, a minutes observance and a few remeberance walls/books dotted about would be a nice touch imo.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a shame.

I've said for a while that rather than individual minutes applause and so on during the season for fans who have passed we should have one day to acknowledge all who have passed away. November would seem a perfect time to do it. It's near the end of the calendar year and dating back to pagan times through Hallowtide and Christianity and since the 20th century with Remembrance Day Novmeber has always been a month of remeberance.

A couple of pages in the programme given over for people to put the name of their loved ones, a minutes observance and a few remeberance walls/books dotted about would be a nice touch imo.
    I agree, I actually think the minute's applause loses impact when there are so many that half the time it's not clear what or who you are applauding.

Having one game in the year where there's a chance to do a minute's applause means that it is significant for everyone and can be done properly.

I like the idea of a section in the program for that match as well.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Can't disagree with either comment above!

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A fab song to go with the sentiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erjvxDLh4uY

That's a shame.

I've seen this down at a few clubs down south, it works well. I think it was the first game of the New Year, they did a minute's applause and names on the screen for supporters who had passed in the previous year. Families/friends submitted them and it felt like a nice touch. Obviously given that our first game of the New Year tends to be a derby (although not so much anymore), it might be a non-starter to have it done then.

One for the fan's rep to take to the high heejins at the next opportunity perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I agree, I actually think the minute's applause loses impact when there are so many that half the time it's not clear what or who you are applauding.

Having one game in the year where there's a chance to do a minute's applause means that it is significant for everyone and can be done properly.

I like the idea of a section in the program for that match as well.
    I don't think minute's applause ever has the same impact as a silence plus it must be weird for the players as the flow of the game continues.

Could we have a once a year pre-match minute?

For some reason this one sticks in my mind, maybe it was the game being played on a midweek afternoon or maybe because I think this is a great photo.

Last edited by JeMeSouviens; 19-11-2019 at 05:23 PM.

I've made my feelings known before on minute's applauses. I don't like them at all and if we are going to mark someone's passing it should be a silence.

That's the most appropriate way to remember someone who's died in my opinion. It will never happen but I'd love it if all football clubs came to an agreement to scrap the applause.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    Disappointed to see - unless there are plans for this weekend and next of which I am unaware - that this is the second year in succession that Absent Friends hasn't been run by the club. It might seem like a minor grumble but this was a widely lauded initiative at the time which brought much solace and comfort to many, and I would anticipate wasn't that much of a resource burden to pull together.
    It’s the little initiatives like this that played a big part in fostering the connection between the club and the fans IMO, in conjunction with what’s happening on the park.

I know there was lots of debate about feeling disengaged from the club, which I certainly did/do. I feel more positive now we’ve got a new manager, but the comms from the owner, Dempster & Mathie, as well as playful nods to some of the things we’ve all been talking about (obligatory mention of the training centre from a new manager, PowerPoint presentations etc), were a step in the right direction. It’s the little initiatives and comms that aren’t just to tick a box that make it feel like those in charge are more than just people passing through the club making a living. When it feels like that about those in charge I’m more likely to feel that an hour and a half on a Saturday is the extent of my commitment and not invest much more time or money outside of the 90 minutes at a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I've made my feelings known before on minute's applauses. I don't like them at all and if we are going to mark someone's passing it should be a silence.

That's the most appropriate way to remember someone who's died in my opinion. It will never happen but I'd love it if all football clubs came to an agreement to scrap the applause.

totally agree

I do think though that the applause is used because the club(s) in question don’t trust both sets of fans to be respectful, or that what starts off as a silence gets disrupted by disrespectful/drunk/unaware folk in the crowd, and other fans start to applaud to drown out the noise with something more positive

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

They only introduced it because they couldn't trust some people to respect a silence (looking at you, Celtic)

Left by mutual consent!
    That's a shame.

Great idea. Would love to see this happen!

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    One for the fan's rep to take to the high heejins at the next opportunity perhaps?
    Yep, one that I can pick up for us - put it on my pad recently after a request elsewhere.

It’s one I can raise straightaway with the club (first thing tomorrow) and not wait till the next board meeting - I’m sure if resource is there to run it they will want it to be done properly again to make sure it does everyone (absent friends, supporters and the project team) justice.

A number of teams were involved to get it off the ground last time (including different areas of the Hibs backroom setup) http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/8050

I know previously it has aligned to the National ‘Absent Friends’ week in November but the beauty of a Hibs specific one (hopefully a regular on the calendar) is there is natural points it could be done - season start, end of year, new year, end of season or around that week previously in November.

Leave it with me ✅
    Last edited by Power; 19-11-2019 at 07:43 PM.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Hope we can continue to mark this occasion - wiped out a generation of Leithers...

https://youtu.be/RxgVgss0Fhc
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    I asked the question to one of the fans reps on the 23rd Oct

Received the following

“Hi, it’s looking like there won’t be one but we are looking at alternative ways in which we can do this and making it more significant. If there’s any change and a date comes up for between now and end of November I’ll let you know.”

It’s a great thing and it would be a shame to let it fall away

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Hope we can continue to mark this occasion - wiped out a generation of Leithers...

https://youtu.be/RxgVgss0Fhc

oddly enough i watched that video just last week, there's a huge amount that have no idea about this tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by Power View Post
    Yep, one that I can pick up for us - put it on my pad recently after a request elsewhere.

It’s one I can raise straightaway with the club (first thing tomorrow) and not wait till the next board meeting - I’m sure if resource is there to run it they will want it to be done properly again to make sure it does everyone (absent friends, supporters and the project team) justice.

A number of teams were involved to get it off the ground last time (including different areas of the Hibs backroom setup) http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/8050

I know previously it has aligned to the National ‘Absent Friends’ week in November but the beauty of a Hibs specific one (hopefully a regular on the calendar) is there is natural points it could be done - season start, end of year, new year, end of season or around that week previously in November.

Leave it with me ✅
    Cheers for that Kieran, look forward to hearing further on this.

Hi Kieran - what was the response on this? Presumably it wasn't a go-er for the Motherwell game, but is there any intention to run anything for Kilmarnock?