hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never got to see any of the match as was football training with my wee boy , here's a jambos take on Porteous

'Cadden is number 7. Number 8 is Alan Campbell, also of Motherwell.

On a a side note, think Porteous has looked very poor. Had a good tackle but distribution shocking'
    I genuinely can't remember him giving the ball away once.

Considering the amount of possession England had the two centre halfs played well to keep them at bay and were probably the only two to get pass marks.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Pies 100% better at Tynie than ER
    It’ll be the sawdust content

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I genuinely can't remember him giving the ball away once.

Considering the amount of possession England had the two centre halfs played well to keep them at bay and were probably the only two to get pass marks.
    Porteous played forceful, accurate passes along the deck to feet in an attempt to get us moving forward. He overhit a couple but generally his passing was excellent. Also defended well against 2 huge strikers (as did Bates, as you allude to). Problem too often was we had 11 men behind the ball when England attacked, so when we regained possession it was a struggle to get out. The lads competed well, but 2-0 flattered us.

By the way, that new stand wasn't built with the larger, or taller, supporter in mind. Looks like they've just crammed in as many rows and seats as possible.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Burgers and hotdogs were practically inedible though.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Notice Olly got hooked at halftime anyone able to fill us in on how he played ?

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Think he touched the ball twice and gave it away both times.

Not really his fault, just wasn’t the right game for him and he was swamped up there against some absolute monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    I missed the first 10 mins (due to standing in a ridiculous queue to get through the turnstiles at the Gorgie End to walk round to the main stand), but after that he hardly kicked the ball, and spent most of his time defending from the front - unfortunately the front was only 30 yards from Scotland's goal! It really was a thankless task for Ollie tonight though.

How many fans turned up? If it was scott wilson saying it would be 19,000

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith's finest View Post
    How many fans turned up? If it was scott wilson saying it would be 19,000
    Just less than 5,000 was the official crowd

Pitch looks good and conducive to actually playing football.

The derby has the potential to being a cracker

Didn’t watch it but sounds depressing that our young players don’t seem to know where the weights room at their club is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesFamau5 View Post
    It's the plywood backing at the top of the new stand which is hilarious. To be honest it is a half arsed job. The rails down the stairs wobble worse than my stomach after a night out and the seats seem to move in unison when someone stands up, the whole row moves.... Really poor quality all round.

Good to see plenty of Hibs shirts and tops around though
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Porteous played forceful, accurate passes along the deck to feet in an attempt to get us moving forward. He overhit a couple but generally his passing was excellent. Also defended well against 2 huge strikers (as did Bates, as you allude to). Problem too often was we had 11 men behind the ball when England attacked, so when we regained possession it was a struggle to get out. The lads competed well, but 2-0 flattered us.

By the way, that new stand wasn't built with the larger, or taller, supporter in mind. Looks like they've just crammed in as many rows and seats as possible.
    Agree about Porteous passing & Bates was also ok but put McRorie in trouble a couple of times. Morgan tried hard but kept running down blind alleys but great majority of Scots looked terrified to see the ball. As everyone says English were bigger, stronger, faster & better. 2-0 flattered us considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Didn’t watch it but sounds depressing that our young players don’t seem to know where the weights room at their club is.

Doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t fill out when they are older. England are notorious for developing strong players at this level, who don’t make the grade

The English players were unbelievable specimens, they’d give the Saudi under 17s a run for their money when it comes to physicality, I’m not sure we should be comparing our lads against them as I’m sure we compare just fine against the likes of the Scandinavian countries.

I’m maybe clutching at straws a bit but I remember discussing it over the summer that English elite clubs seem to just be producing the same type of player, big strong physical and fast absolute units but where’s the wee tubby guy that has all the ability and creativity and that bit of genius? They seem to be producing a generation of robots, not footballers.

Doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t fill out when they are older. England are notorious for developing strong players at this level, who don’t make the grade
    Not just a case of filling out these days though. It doesn’t just happen by accident. They should be building themselves up long before they get to u21 level. There is no downside to making yourself stronger, more agile and faster. They can’t do much about their height but everything else can and should be improved upon.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    The English players were unbelievable specimens, they’d give the Saudi under 17s a run for their money when it comes to physicality, I’m not sure we should be comparing our lads against them as I’m sure we compare just fine against the likes of the Scandinavian countries.

I’m maybe clutching at straws a bit but I remember discussing it over the summer that English elite clubs seem to just be producing the same type of player, big strong physical and fast absolute units but where’s the wee tubby guy that has all the ability and creativity and that bit of genius? They seem to be producing a generation of robots, not footballers.
    It seems to be working better than our system just now though?

That's generally what I see too, bring in a diminutive ball player trying to reach Hazard type standards to be creative, then fill the team with big Goliaths.

Of course it does, they’ve got a population 10x the size of ours though so you’d expect that. The English always seem to have good age groups at this level but when it comes to making the step up and requiring more than just being physically better and stronger than the opposition they tend to struggle. If it was England against Spain or Germany tonight I’d imagine the English would look physically stronger than them too.

The French are quite similar when it comes to producing these big young powerful lads, they seem to be better at also finding the creative smaller players too though, I’m not sure The English have got the balance as right as the French, suppose time will tell though.

Don’t think you can compare the Scottish system against the English system given the differnece in resources and number of players they have to pick from.

That’s not to say that our system isn’t failing. There are plenty of small nations who produce better than us.

Not just a case of filling out these days though. It doesn’t just happen by accident. They should be building themselves up long before they get to u21 level. There is no downside to making yourself stronger, more agile and faster. They can’t do much about their height but everything else can and should be improved upon.

I’ve no idea Ozy, but England were better all over the pitch

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

absolutely there's also an SPFL manager who does appear to have a preference for his defenders/midfielders being big strapping laddies

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Miles better beer selection in the fans bar at Tynie

Of course it does, they’ve got a population 10x the size of ours though so you’d expect that. The English always seem to have good age groups at this level but when it comes to making the step up and requiring more than just being physically better and stronger than the opposition they tend to struggle. If it was England against Spain or Germany tonight I’d imagine the English would look physically stronger than them too.

The French are quite similar when it comes to producing these big young powerful lads, they seem to be better at also finding the creative smaller players too though, I’m not sure The English have got the balance as right as the French, suppose time will tell though.
    You can be small and still be well built. The wee guy ****e that plays for France is a midget but still solid.
    Working out in the gym doesn’t take anything from a players creative skills. In fact it can only enhance them with an increase in agility. It also helps prevent injury and increase speed.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Don’t think you can compare the Scottish system against the English system given the differnece in resources and number of players they have to pick from.

That’s not to say that our system isn’t failing. There are plenty of small nations who produce better than us.
    Absolutely, I just mean that they are currently punching their weight in terms of the big nations.
    I don’t think we are punching our weight among nations our size just now.

Absolutely, I just mean that they are currently punching their weight in terms of the big nations.
    I don’t think we are punching our weight among nations our size just now.

Fair point

You can be small and still be well built. The wee guy ****e that plays for France is a midget but still solid.
    Working out in the gym doesn’t take anything from a players creative skills. In fact it can only enhance them with an increase in agility. It also helps prevent injury and increase speed.

You have to be careful. Bigger and stronger does not necessarily mean faster or more agile.

Some players need to be big and strong, some need to be quick, some need to have unflappable composure, some need to be able to stick a ball on a sixpence.

I watched more English championship football last season and a lot of it was guff. Lots of highly rated u21 internationalists - big and strong but little guile or skill.

The genetics stuff from Strachan was crap - Strachan himself was a magnificent player who had a highly-decorated, successful and long career. Strachan would be as good a player in the modern game as he was when he was a player.

You need to have a physical presence somewhere in your team, but you don't necessarily need it everywhere. If anything, Scotland have in the past been in denial about how good our youngsters are by playing brawny kids, bullying other teams and winning falsely positive results whilst other countries developed technical players who developed physically when the time was right.

Why was there no wee guys in the England side tonight then? None of them struck me as being particularly brilliant footballers, they were just physically swatting the Scotland players aside.

There have been times I think Scottish players have looked skinny wee boys, I think the Scottish players looked physically relatively alright tonight, I just think the English looked abnormally powerful for that age group.

The other elephant in the room that’s never nice to bring up is that for some reason black players seem to be naturally physically stronger and more powerful than your average white guy. I don’t mean to offend anyone with that and I really hope I don’t but it is just an observation. I don’t know why that is the case but it just does seem to be a factor.

Why was there no wee guys in the England side tonight then? None of them struck me as being particularly brilliant footballers, they were just physically swatting the Scotland players aside.

There have been times I think Scottish players have looked skinny wee boys, I think the Scottish players looked physically relatively alright tonight, I just think the English looked abnormally powerful for that age group.

The other elephant in the room that’s never nice to bring up is that for some reason black players seem to be naturally physically stronger and more powerful than your average white guy. I don’t mean to offend anyone with that and I really hope I don’t but it is just an observation. I don’t know why that is the case but it just does seem to be a factor.
    It’s not genetic, they are just not afraid of the gym so much.
    The Scottish players are all professional athletes, maybe it’s time the started looking a bit more abnormally powerful like the English lads?

It’s not genetic, they are just not afraid of the gym so much.
    The Scottish players are all professional athletes, maybe it’s time the started looking a bit more abnormally powerful like the English lads?

I’d imagine the Scottish players playing for Scottish clubs will have very similar/identical training regimes to the English clubs?

I don’t know what the differences are that lead to the difference in physiques however I’d be surprised if English clubs simply worked their players harder.

Would you rather players spent more time on the pitch practising their technique or in the gym getting more powerful, I suppose that’s the question here, all countries only have the same amount of hours in each day, at this level the gym option seems to pay dividends, making the step up though it appears spending too much time in the gym and not enough on the pitch catches up with you.

Makes you wonder if someone like Paul Scholes would have made it in today's climate down south.