hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Both McGinn and McGeouch are doing OK in England.

Don't think you could describe either of them as being tall and powerful.

Exceptions to every rule, I suppose.
    McGinn is near 6ft and very powerful, his biggest attributes are his physical ones. He's unstoppable when he gets going.

2. Log in to remove the advert

How on earth is Mallan not starting for the 21’s!!!! He has scored 9 goals from midfield this season for the team that are sitting 2nd!

As far at the physicality argument goes, part of it is down to genetics. But imo its more mentality driven aswell.

English clubs have all the facilities and get it in their heads a lot earlier imo and work them harder. Scotland seems more of a train twice a week and the fitness consists of running them into the ground.

England produce big, powerful and fast players. In Scotland you’re either skinny, weak and fast or big and slow imo. Very few players have both.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    How on earth is Mallan not starting for the 21’s!!!! He has scored 9 goals from midfield this season for the team that are sitting 2nd!

As far at the physicality argument goes, part of it is down to genetics. But imo its more mentality driven aswell.

English clubs have all the facilities and get it in their heads a lot earlier imo and work them harder. Scotland seems more of a train twice a week and the fitness consists of running them into the ground.

England produce big, powerful and fast players. In Scotland you’re either skinny, weak and fast or big and slow imo. Very few players have both.
    Maybe seeing as it was pretty much a nothing game, Gemmill agreed to leave him out... 🤷*♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Mallan played the full game against the Ukraine just a few days prior and to be honest that was the main game. Last nights game was meaningless in terms of qualification so maybe Gemmill wanted to give other players a run out.

If we had a chance of qualifying I think Mallan would have played though to be honest as good a played as he is I doubt he'd have made much of a difference.

Genetics do count on a personal and in a more widespread way. There's also genetic potential and the failure to reach that potential do to societal reasons. So what I'm asking is what do people think about dietary reasons for Scots footballers looking l like they come from scrawny botland rather Bonnie Scotland? Our collective diet is notoriously and factually rotten.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    McGinn is near 6ft and very powerful, his biggest attributes are his physical ones. He's unstoppable when he gets going.
    Machine is a great example. He has clearly deliberately work hard to get in the shape he is (his brothers are nowhere near as fit) and he is getting the rewards. You don’t get to be his size and shape just playing football.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Machine is a great example. He has clearly deliberately work hard to get in the shape he is (his brothers are nowhere near as fit) and he is getting the rewards. You don’t get to be his size and shape just playing football.

Stephen McGinn is also an absolute power house. Just not as good a football player.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Genetics do count on a personal and in a more widespread way. There's also genetic potential and the failure to reach that potential do to societal reasons. So what I'm asking is what do people think about dietary reasons for Scots footballers looking l like they come from scrawny botland rather Bonnie Scotland? Our collective diet is notoriously and factually rotten.
    That is true, but I wonder how well-nourished the fairly high proportion of the world's best players who grew up in favelas and slums were?

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    That is true, but I wonder how well-nourished the fairly high proportion of the world's best players who grew up in favelas and slums were?

Fair point, but there's something to be said for plain fare, post war Scotland produced more than a smattering of big laddies and hard bassas on a diet far narrower than is available today. Nourishment is a good word to use - does Scottish society have a more nourishing diet than it did when we produced players from 1945-onwards? "Plenty" isn't the same as a good diet, can be quite the opposite. I remember my Mum and aunties going on "a diet" in the 70's and they were allowed two teaspoons of sugar a day. Bare in mind they were actively trying to loose weight but todays world your likely to find two teaspoons in a supermarket sandwich.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Stephen McGinn is also an absolute power house. Just not as good a football player.
    He's a good player. Obviously not quite John's level, but would have taken him as a replacement if we were looking to play a similar system. SJM struggled against him IIRC.