hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We've got to be realistic. Which decent employed manager would leave his job and manage Scotland? Let's say for arguments sake that Lennon is offered the job. It would be career suicide to take the job. Stay at Hibs and build your reputation or take the Scotland job and more than likely fail. A younger manager probably won't fancy it, so your left with mostly unemployed older managers. I don't think Moyes would be a terrible appointment, I'd also have Bilic on the shortlist too.
    Why wouldn’t a younger manager fancy it?

A young progressive coach that understands modern footballers and understands the modern game that would get the chance to build something would be a great opportunity for them IMO.

Unless you’re a really top name as a player it’s difficult to get your first job in management, Gerrard has had to come to Scotland, Lampard has had to go to the championship, Terry is having to start as an assistant and I’m sure there are other examples. Top clubs in England aren’t taking gambles on untested managers.

I genuinely don’t know names of people to consider and as soon as I say names I’m sure they’d be scoffed at however the likes of Arteta is making a name as a coach but struggling to get a job as a manager, Duncan Ferguson has a reputation as an excellent up andncoming coach (think he thinks even less of the SFA than i do so I’d be surprised if he was interested but hopefully you get my point) and I’m sure there’s similar across Europe.

We’ve had one bad experience of a foreign manager so all of a sudden they all seem to be ruled out, what about all the pish Scottish ones we’ve had?!

2. Log in to remove the advert

McLeish seems a shadow of his former self. Difficult to watch.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    It makes perfect sense.

The SFA will argue that if this game can attract an attendance in excess of 20,000 then it makes sense to hold it at a stadium which can allow that many people to attend.

An extra 3,000 people at £25 per ticket is quite a lot of additional money.
    Not that it matters but the attendance was 19684, Easter Road, Pittodrie and Tynecastle could have had held the game but our shortsighted football administrators insist on an empty Hampden

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Cathro anyone

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Been saying it since he got the job. He just looks old. There is no enthusiasm or spark about him.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Been saying it since he got the job. He just looks old. There is no enthusiasm or spark about him.
    Just watched his post match interview... He's not right.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Had a wee chat with Stephen McGinn at half time at Hampden tonight. Generally talking about the St Mirren v Hibs match from a couple of weeks ago. He was impressed with Hibs, but especially with Milligan. He said that John wished he’d played with Milligan at Hibs.

Nice compliment I thought for Mark

He sounds boring.

Always think to manage a changing room in the modern game (and probably in the past too) you need to have a big personality or as you say enthusiasm and passion.

Tam McManus always raves about him on twitter but he doesn’t seem to have what he used to, I’d be surprised if Tam still thought the same if he was playing under his management now.

What was his last succesful job?

You know the game's up for a manager when you start to feel sorry for them - even though you didn't want them to get the job in the first place. I'm guessing there are lots of folk feeling that way for McLeish tonight. I don't think he's a dinosaur; there have been lots of guys who were very good managers well into their 60s. But for whatever reason, he just doesn't seem to have the presence or gravitas required to inspire players any more. I fear things are going to get even worse for him but hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Had a wee chat with Stephen McGinn at half time at Hampden tonight. Generally talking about the St Mirren v Hibs match from a couple of weeks ago. He was impressed with Hibs, but especially with Milligan. He said that John wished he’d played with Milligan at Hibs.

That's a nice we nugget of info - deserves to be in a thread about Hibs rather than the latest Scotland match post-mortem but thanks for sharing Billy Whizz.

@hibs.net private member

is he the right back Billy..or is that Paul?? One of them was due to come here this season, but think Hibs changed their mind...Think it was Paul...

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    is he the right back Billy..or is that Paul?? One of them was due to come here this season, but think Hibs changed their mind...Think it was Paul...
    Stephen is their midfielder and captain. I’ve met him a few times before. We were linked with him a year or so ago

Just to clarify - McLeish is a dinosaur but Advocaat is not?

@hibs.net private member
    Stephen is their midfielder and captain. I’ve met him a few times before. We were linked with him a year or so ago

cheers. I had heard at the St Mirren game that one of John's brothers had verbally agreed to join us this season...and was disappointed when Hibs didn't follow through on it...wasn't sure which one..

He sounds boring.

Always think to manage a changing room in the modern game (and probably in the past too) you need to have a big personality or as you say enthusiasm and passion.

Tam McManus always raves about him on twitter but he doesn’t seem to have what he used to, I’d be surprised if Tam still thought the same if he was playing under his management now.

The way he is just sets the tone for everything IMO. No wonder there is such an apathy about the team when the guy leading it is like that.

The Nations League offers an unbelievable chance of qualifying for the Euros. You don’t need a Ferguson or Guardiola to take advantage of that. But with McLeish there is just nothing there to be positive at all.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Has been so obvious for years now what GJP problem is, and the bizarre thing is that our own Rod had a hand in appointing him and would have known it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Just to clarify - McLeish is a dinosaur but Advocaat is not?
    What’s the comparison?

Dutch coaching has historically been well ahead of the game, why would Advocaat be classed as a dinosaur?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    He sounds boring.

McLeish has had a odd coaching career. Full of enthusiasm and progressive ideas with Well and us, canny in his first stint with Scotland, but then became dour and predictable.

Frankly unrecognisable from his early days.

What’s the comparison?

Dutch coaching has historically been well ahead of the game, why would Advocaat be classed as a dinosaur?
    I hear the accusation levelled regularly at McLeish that he's a dinosaur - fair enough he's been out of work for a few years, but I'd be amazed if he was totally out of touch. We see some fairly primitive approaches from highly rated SPFL managers, so I'm mainly hitting out at those who call McLeish a dinosaur.

McLeish succeeded Advocaat at Ibrox, so I'm just questioning logic of chasing one manager out for being a dinosaur then suggesting he is replaced with someone older/ of similar age?

And have you seen the recent results between the Scotland and Netherlands U21s? The Netherlands who appear to be in crisis and failed to qualify for the last World Cup. I don't think we should automatically assume that everything Dutch is necessarily better than everything Scottish any more.
    Last edited by Smartie; 14-10-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Issues there I believe 🤔

Folks,

Can we not speculate or hint towards the state of Mcleish’s health please?

Had to delete a few posts already and it would be a shame to shut a decent thread down for something like this.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by HNA3 View Post
    Folks,

Can we not speculate or hint towards the state of Mcleish’s health please?

Had to delete a few posts already and it would be a shame to shut a decent thread down for something like this.

Cheers
    Agree, his younger brother is a hibby and reads these forums so criticism aside, a tad unfair to speculate about Alexs health.

A young progressive coach that understands modern footballers and understands the modern game that would get the chance to build something would be a great opportunity for them IMO.

Unless you’re a really top name as a player it’s difficult to get your first job in management, Gerrard has had to come to Scotland, Lampard has had to go to the championship, Terry is having to start as an assistant and I’m sure there are other examples. Top clubs in England aren’t taking gambles on untested managers.

I genuinely don’t know names of people to consider and as soon as I say names I’m sure they’d be scoffed at however the likes of Arteta is making a name as a coach but struggling to get a job as a manager, Duncan Ferguson has a reputation as an excellent up andncoming coach (think he thinks even less of the SFA than i do so I’d be surprised if he was interested but hopefully you get my point) and I’m sure there’s similar across Europe.

We’ve had one bad experience of a foreign manager so all of a sudden they all seem to be ruled out, what about all the pish Scottish ones we’ve had?!
    Most young managers prefer the day to day football, rather than the long breaks between every international game. I'm not saying some wouldn't fancy it, but the good ones will have better options than Scotland. I'd be all for someone younger with fresh ideas, I just don't see us attracting that. Another name I'd throw in to the ring would be Michael Laudrup.

McLeish was never a great manager, he manged to do a couple of decent jobs though.

Football has moved on - he’s just been left behind now. And when you were never great to begin with...

It’s the dafties who appointed him that are the real problem.

Might be a stupid question to ask so late in these Scotland threads, but what does GJP stand for when referring to McLeish?

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    Might be a stupid question to ask so late in these Scotland threads, but what does GJP stand for when referring to McLeish?
    It was a nickname given by Hibs fans
    G Colour of hair
    J Left us for Rangers
    P I’ll let you have a guess

Probably not politically correct now though

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    Ginger Judas Pr***

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Agree, his younger brother is a hibby and reads these forums so criticism aside, a tad unfair to speculate about Alexs health.
    I didn't know his brother was a hibby, I thought he would prefer the "traditions" of McLeish 's favourite team?

I'm pretty sure his son has a liking for Hibs though. We were the team who were managed by McLeish sr when his son started getting into football - fond memories of 6-2 etc.

It was a nickname given by Hibs fans
    G Colour of hair
    J Left us for Rangers
    P I’ll let you have a guess

Probably not politically correct now though
    Cheers. Since he got appointed the Scotland Manager it's been puzzling me on here. Guessed the first and last words correctly, it was the middle one I couldn't work out.

@hibs.net private member
    Anyone who picks Stephen Naismith ahead of Sparky has to go ASAP imo.