hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Dutch European prizemoney

    Just read that in Holland they've agreed that all the Champions League money earned will be split equally among the teams in the top league.

    Seeing as we seem to be a team on the up, hopefully regularly competing in Europe, would you be for or against say, all European prize money (for both comps) being pooled and distributed evenly??

    I'm assuming this Dutch agreement doesn't include ticket sale money etc.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just read that in Holland they've agreed that all the Champions League money earned will be split equally among the teams in the top league.

    Seeing as we seem to be a team on the up, hopefully regularly competing in Europe, would you be for or against say, all European prize money (for both comps) being pooled and distributed evenly??

    I'm assuming this Dutch agreement doesn't include ticket sale money etc.
    Hell would freeze over before Celtic or Sevco would agree to that

  4. #3
    Totally against it. We’d be as well going full American and having drafts and crap like that if we wanted to make it ‘even’. It’s up to clubs to make as much money as possible and spend that money as best as they can.

  5. #4
    Coaching Staff MWHIBBIES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    6,153
    Pretty sure that is not happening. Ajax and psv are giving up 10% so all teams can afford grass so they don't have to play on crappy plastic parks.

    Those teams would never give away that advantage because they're already miles and miles behind top European clubs simply because of money.

  6. #5
    Totally for it.. our league is painfully boring and predictable.. anything that can help make it more competitive would be welcomed and would benefit us all.. but as a previous poster has already pointed out ‘ hell would indeed freeze over before the OF agreed to that’ greed and self importance is ingrained into our mentality in this country.

  7. #6
    Testimonial Due AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    not sure
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,302
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Totally against it. We’d be as well going full American and having drafts and crap like that if we wanted to make it ‘even’. It’s up to clubs to make as much money as possible and spend that money as best as they can.
    No, we wouldn't be as well doing that. Champions League money is ruining the game, clubs can still be run well wand responsibly without it.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, we wouldn't be as well doing that. Champions League money is ruining the game, clubs can still be run well wand responsibly without it.
    Can you explain the ‘champions league money is ruining the game’ statement. The Scottish game? The overall game? Celtic barely got any CL money this year but will still be well ahead, money wise, than the rest of us, but we made a decent whack in our budgets terms in the Europa League and you want us to hand that to Hamilton and Dundee 😂

  9. #8
    Testimonial Due AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    not sure
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,302
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can you explain the ‘champions league money is ruining the game’ statement. The Scottish game? The overall game? Celtic barely got any CL money this year but will still be well ahead, money wise, than the rest of us, but we made a decent whack in our budgets terms in the Europa League and you want us to hand that to Hamilton and Dundee 😂
    Celtic's dominance is on the back of getting CL/EL money year in year out. There's a reason leagues have become less competitive since the champions league in its current format came into being - some clubs can afford to budget, or in some cases gamble, on the assumption that they will be getting big paycheques either this season or in the not too distant future. Obviously we want to be in that positiin, but we'd be risking our existence if we assumed it would be the case. Your argument is a basic reducto ad absurdum, suggesting that one action entails taking that action to its logical extreme, which is clearly rubbish.

    At the moment, the only hope any smaller team has is for someone to come in with big bucks, or for some leicester-style miracle to happen.

    Financial inequality in football is natural, but that dossn't mean action shouldn't be taken to stop it becoming so extreme.

    Another point - would it not be a much better state of affairs if everyone had a shot at the league, not every season, but over a decade, if they ran their club well?

    I'd be happy for hibs to share our european money if it was within a system where all such money was shared.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can you explain the ‘champions league money is ruining the game’ statement. The Scottish game? The overall game? Celtic barely got any CL money this year but will still be well ahead, money wise, than the rest of us, but we made a decent whack in our budgets terms in the Europa League and you want us to hand that to Hamilton and Dundee 😂
    Celtic probably made more money from Europe than most clubs in the league turn over annually

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    [QUOTE=AgentDaleCooper;5575504]Celtic's dominance is on the back of getting CL/EL money year in year out. There's a reason leagues have become less competitive since the champions league in its current format came into being - some clubs can afford to budget, or in some cases gamble, on the assumption that they will be getting big paycheques either this season or in the not too distant future. Obviously we want to be in that positiin, but we'd be risking our existence if we assumed it would be the case. Your argument is a basic reducto ad absurdum, suggesting that one action entails taking that action to its logical extreme, which is clearly rubbish.

    At the moment, the only hope any smaller team has is for someone to come in with big bucks, or for some leicester-style miracle to happen.

    Financial inequality in football is natural, but that dossn't mean action shouldn't be taken to stop it becoming so extreme.

    Another point - would it not be a much better state of affairs if everyone had a shot at the league, not every season, but over a decade, if they ran their club well?

    I'd be happy for hibs to share our european money if it was within a system where all such money was shared.[/QUOTE


    Got there before I could. The CL is entirely elitist and designed to guarantee a few countries and their top teams sup at the top table in perpetuity. It's a Champions' League full
    of teams who aren't champions and they don't give a flying one about the rest of us. It's just Billionaires' playtime & it causes serious dislocation for the rest of us. Bassas.

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    14,420
    We could start by cutting the prize for winning the spfl down to zero.
    Champions league qualification is prize enough I would think.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Celtic's dominance is on the back of getting CL/EL money year in year out. There's a reason leagues have become less competitive since the champions league in its current format came into being - some clubs can afford to budget, or in some cases gamble, on the assumption that they will be getting big paycheques either this season or in the not too distant future. Obviously we want to be in that positiin, but we'd be risking our existence if we assumed it would be the case. Your argument is a basic reducto ad absurdum, suggesting that one action entails taking that action to its logical extreme, which is clearly rubbish.

    At the moment, the only hope any smaller team has is for someone to come in with big bucks, or for some leicester-style miracle to happen.

    Financial inequality in football is natural, but that dossn't mean action shouldn't be taken to stop it becoming so extreme.

    Another point - would it not be a much better state of affairs if everyone had a shot at the league, not every season, but over a decade, if they ran their club well?

    I'd be happy for hibs to share our european money if it was within a system where all such money was shared.
    In terms of our league I’d agree it’s an advantage but so is averaging 60k compared to 16k.

    In terms of other leagues the champions league money isn’t great at all compared to their tv deals.

  14. #13
    Take earned money from the winning teams and give to the teams who can’t win games.
    Sounds like a great idea.... LOL
    Capital belongs in the hands of winners

  15. #14
    Coaching Staff lyonhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zurich
    Age
    33
    Posts
    11,873
    That's not even roughly what's happening. It's 10% from the top 3 teams. So they're keeping 90%. It's not exactly Warren Beatty levels of altruism.

  16. #15
    If the money is to be divided up equally there would need to be a criteria on how the money is used....ie on a grass pitch, not paying shareholder dividends, so much into development and coaching, etc etc ...

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We could start by cutting the prize for winning the spfl down to zero.
    Champions league qualification is prize enough I would think.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's quite extreme, but I would say the winner should only get about 1.5x what 12th gets.

  18. #17
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Livingston
    Posts
    869
    The 2 biggest teams in our League are way out in front of the rest by having mega stadia that holds 66k and 48k, if they are only 2/3 full they are still bringing in double anyone else if they fill their stadium?

    Most of the rest of the teams want parity with them or even a level playing field, we'll never get either as the GFA bend over backwards every time they bleat about something!

    There was a slight chance if we moved out of Hampden, but now that has sailed, it will be back to the status quo and the rest will just have to lump it!!!
    Last edited by where'stheslope; Today at 04:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved