hibs.net Messageboard

International Break

Loathe it. Resent a lack of Hibs on weekends for a poor national team underperforming against fellow mediocrity. And nobody cares, fans or players, and haven’t for decades now. Surely an argument for having fifth tier countries like Scotland play games midweek? (Wednesday midnight kick off at Almondvale would be my preference.)!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Used to enjoy international weekends, but can't be doing with them now, probably because Scotland are so poor. I should be ashamed I suppose - follow your team through thick and thin, and that.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Loathe it. Resent a lack of Hibs on weekends for a poor national team underperforming against fellow mediocrity. And nobody cares, fans or players, and haven’t for decades now. Surely an argument for having fifth tier countries like Scotland play games midweek? (Wednesday midnight kick off at Almondvale would be my preference.)!
    The evidence is clear. Before they introdiuced International breaks, and qualifying games were played midweek between league games, Scotland generally qualified for World cups.

Get rid of this useless practice altogether.

Seem to be every 3 weeks these days

Don't mind it if it is competitive but the friendly games against Belgium and Portugal are a waste of everyone's time and energy's

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Don't mind it if it is competitive but the friendly games against Belgium and Portugal are a waste of everyone's time and energy's

It's annoying to have the league disrupted so many times already for pointless games, then have to cram 8 games into December.

It's like theres no one in charge of organising the fixture list for the year.

Let's have a break every 3 weeks at the start of the season, cram a load of fixtures in December and have none in January. Job done, let's go to the pub.

International footer is a complete bore. I'd like Hibs to be tearing into Celtic right now on the back of scoring six goals but no. Next week Celtic will be stronger for the break.

It was the same last year after the winter break. Started with something like 4 games in 10 or 11 days. And that was after 7 games in December. All good having a break but when your squeezing the schedule before and after it it begins to defeat the purpose. The organisation of our game is pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    International footer is a complete bore. I'd like Hibs to be tearing into Celtic right now on the back of scoring six goals but no. Next week Celtic will be stronger for the break.
    Why won't we be stronger for the break too?

We have a few first team players struggling with injury who may well be fit for next week. Also Celtic won 6-0 last week too so you could also argue that they would want to be playing this week to carry on the momentum.

Agree entirely

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Last break came at a good time due to injuries, this one at a bad time with our run of form. Overall it all comes down to Hibs and Scotland are a secondary thought. I can't stand it. Have no interest in International football. Ruins my weekend.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    International weekends are an unwelcome interruption to proper football.

Not to mention the challenge of wishing the likes of GJP, MacGregor, Naismith and Soutar well. Current Scotland proposition is seriously flawed.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I'm really getting annoyed about these so called international breaks. And I bet regular domestic football supporters throughout Scotland, Europe and beyond feel exactly the same way. It's time for a rethink.

@hibs.net private member
    I have a more radical view.

I think we should honour our arranged international fixtures and then withdraw Scotland from all play for 5 years.

In that time we should focus our resources on domestic leagues and kids and ignore the meaningless and distracting charade of international football.

We could call it FIFAexit or something.

if that's too much for some, then let's at least pump the friendlies. That could be a soft FIFAexit

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    I have a more radical view.

I think we should honour our arranged international fixtures and then withdraw Scotland from all play for 5 years.

In that time we should focus our resources on domestic leagues and kids and ignore the meaningless and distracting charade of international football.
    I think folk are more miffed as it comes when were hitting form.

We could call it FIFAexit or something.

if that's too much for some, then let's at least pump the friendlies. That could be a soft FIFAexit
    Dont know why people keep saying nobody cares about international friendlies( and I dont) there are over 20,000 tickets sold for the Portugal game, thats quite afew folk that do care, probably just the Scotkand haters?
    Its probably cos folk are more miffed as we have hit a bit of form.
    Last edited by Phil MaGlass; 14-10-2018 at 07:56 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    As others have said I used to enjoy watching Scotland but the few games I've been to and watched over the last few years have been terrible.

It feels like watching Hibs under Butcher - crap manager, no leaders on the pitch, shambles at board level, boring football and high prices.

Also doesn't help that the likes of Souttar, Devlin and Mackay-Steven are in the squad ahead of Hanlon and Boyle.

@hibs.net private member
    I’m all for getting rid as well but the clubs might disagree - when else would they sack their manager?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Dont know why people keep saying nobody cares about international friendlies( and I dont) there are over 20,000 tickets sold for the Portugal game, thats quite afew folk that do care, probably just the Scotkand haters?
    I'd imagine a big percentage of the tickets were bought for kids hoping to see Ronaldo. Sadly for them Portugal appear to be sending a half strength team which makes an already meaningless game even more redundant.

Left by mutual consent!
    Totally given up with the national team. Supported England for years now and plan on doing so forever. SFA are a shambles quite frankly.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackh View Post
    Totally given up with the national team. Supported England for years now and plan on doing so forever. SFA are a shambles quite frankly.

Are you Scottish or English?

I gave up on Scotland years ago but still find the idea of supporting anyone else, let alone our neighbours, bizarre.

Care to share why you chose to follow England?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    You have quoted me incorrectly adding a passage that has nothing to do with me. The sentence about being miffed. Can you sort that please.
    Last edited by judas; 14-10-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Hibs great run of form interupted for a total waste of a week, particularly the 2nd game. What did we learn that we didn't already know?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Hibs great run of form interupted for a total waste of a week, particularly the 2nd game. What did we learn that we didn't already know?

Its just pointless, really pointless .. Theres not a great deal that the sfa do that isn’t pointless to be honest. Belgium and portugal? South american games at the end of a season , appointing mcleish on the back of strachan , hampden fiasco ... Bunch of incompetent idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The problem is FIFA new format means we have to play these games. Scotland can only play against teams not playing in a 4 team group. Which limits the choice a lot.

A terrible week for the national team.

Ditto!

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    You missed the S, I and T bit out your username friend?