hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pets

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was never bothered with cats before I moved into my partner's house years ago.

She had a rescued tabby who would run under her bed hiding from me, but showing the end of his tail.
    He was dumped at the bypass we reckon and ours was the first house he came to. He didn't like mens' shoes in particular. I wonder why.
    Anyway after a few months he ended up sitting at my feet looking up at me as a dog would.

He and the other cat died within two months of each other, they were so close. Both are buried next to each other in the garden.

Then our neighbour moved to a flat with no garden so we took in his cat.
    Inevitably he passed away so he is now in the garden too.

If you have reached this far you are probably a cat person too.

They are not substitute children but are very relaxing to have around.
    Cats are great and they're not unlike dogs about the house. You have to keep them interested or they become flat fireside animals. Having access to a garden helps.

It's always heart-warming to see a family cat or dog taking rough play from kids and putting up with it. If they've grown up with children in the home they get very protective of kids.

I think it's to do with the soft hands and touch that children have. Unthreatening.
    Last edited by heretoday; 19-10-2018 at 06:00 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Captain Trips's Avatar
    I love my cat and he is part of the family he is now 9 and hopefully plenty of time left with the wee man.
    If I choose to revert back to Carlsberg it will have to be The Carlsberg

So many cat people on this thread! Away back to JKB!

@hibs.net private member Gatecrasher's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Having a pet is great, giving an animal a good home is a great thing to do IMO. Sadly losing them is part of that. I always found the best way to get over losing one is to bring another one into the family.
    Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price. -Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Having a pet is great, giving an animal a good home is a great thing to do IMO. Sadly losing them is part of that. I always found the best way to get over losing one is to bring another one into the family.
    We got a yellow Labrador puppy yesterday.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    I love my cat and he is part of the family he is now 9 and hopefully plenty of time left with the wee man.
    Cats can talk actually. Did you know that?

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Cannae get my head round picking up whatever they empty from their bodies! 😁
    Getting out into the woods or into the hills with the dog is a great way to clear your head but yes, the poo bag business is without question a significant downside - especially when they decide to take a s*** two or even three times! In saying that, it may be irritating to have pick up after them, but the folk who don't do so are a good deal more irritating. I'd like to hunt them down and throw them in a cell for the night.

@hibs.net private member Gatecrasher's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    We got a yellow Labrador puppy yesterday.
    hope you have a great time together
    Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price. -Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Getting out into the woods or into the hills with the dog is a great way to clear your head but yes, the poo bag business is without question a significant downside - especially when they decide to take a s*** two or even three times! In saying that, it may be irritating to have pick up after them, but the folk who don't do so are a good deal more irritating. I'd like to hunt them down and throw them in a cell for the night.
    Just put them in a bin bag and hang it from a tree branch for a while.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Just put them in a bin bag and hang it from a tree branch for a while.

I have seen this done. What is it all about?

The mess has been bagged so take it away home.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    I have seen this done. What is it all about?

The mess has been bagged so take it away home.
    The thinking is many dog walkers enter and leave by the same access, so by leaving their she!t baubles in view they'll remember to grab them before leaving their dog walking area,,,, unfortunately many do not or simply forget.

I'm starting to think we should forget about bagging the poo, dogs should be trained to crap in the gutter or if out in the country they should mess far away from paths and open grass areas. A lot of the bags used aren't biodegradable, their simply faecal grenades, just waiting to be launched!!!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    The thinking is many dog walkers enter and leave by the same access, so by leaving their she!t baubles in view they'll remember to grab them before leaving their dog walking area,,,, unfortunately many do not or simply forget.

I'm starting to think we should forget about bagging the poo, dogs should be trained to crap in the gutter or if out in the country they should mess far away from paths and open grass areas. A lot of the bags used aren't biodegradable, their simply faecal grenades, just waiting to be launched!!!
    Nah. Can't think of a better piece of legislation in my lifetime than the requirement to pick up dug *****. With the increase in dog population, whole streets would now be awash with the stuff if that law didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Or reintroduce dog licences. Any dog turds found could be tested for dna against the dog licence database and careless owners issued a fine plus costs for all the hassle. Would solve the problem pretty quickly imo. Dont see folk would be put off if it was say 100 given folk can spend hundreds, even thousands on a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Nah. Can't think of a better piece of legislation in my lifetime than the requirement to pick up dug *****. With the increase in dog population, whole streets would now be awash with the stuff if that law didn't exist.
    Don't get me wrong, it is entirely correct that owners make sure turds are not left behind to be trodden on, I just think the plastic bag makes a horrible problem a whole lot worse.
    A dog mess, left on its own will disappear over a few days, it'll never disappear of its in a plastic bag.

You're right. Dogs can be trained to go in the gutter. Or in a patch in the back garden if there is one.
    Unfortunately they are not predictable. Or their bowels aren't anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    You're right. Dogs can be trained to go in the gutter. Or in a patch in the back garden if there is one.
    Unfortunately they are not predictable. Or their bowels aren't anyway!
    I lived on Oxgangs Terrace (Hyacinth Bucket would say Colinton Mains) for a couple of years in the 80's, we had a neighbour that trained his standard poodle to do his business on an unfolded broadsheet which he (the owner) would when wrap and bin.

Coincidentally, the Poodle was one of those dugs that would occasionally lay a white turd,,,,

I lived on Oxgangs Terrace (Hyacinth Bucket would say Colinton Mains) for a couple of years in the 80's, we had a neighbour that trained his standard poodle to do his business on an unfolded broadsheet which he (the owner) would when wrap and bin.

Coincidentally, the Poodle was one of those dugs that would occasionally lay a white turd,,,,
    I know all about the white ones. If you ask I will explain. It's to do with diet.

Don't get me wrong, it is entirely correct that owners make sure turds are not left behind to be trodden on, I just think the plastic bag makes a horrible problem a whole lot worse.
    A dog mess, left on its own will disappear over a few days, it'll never disappear of its in a plastic bag.
    Unless there's a really heavy spell of rain it can take a lot longer than a few days...

I think if folk are walking their dogs along woodland paths or out in the country then using a stick to knock the turd out of harm's way into bushes is actually more environmentally friendly than bagging it - as you say it will simply decompose. I also understand that when your dog is careering around through the woods you'll sometimes not spot it taking a c***, but it's the folk who don't pick up mess on the pavement that do my head in. There's no excuse there.

When our dog died several years back, the cat, who had grown up with him, was completely lost. They'd been together as puppy and kitten for ten years, and although the cat was healthy, it pined for a few months, continually searching for him, then just died of a broken heart. To lose both so close together was a blow.

My mums 10 year old Scottie died suddenly late on sat night at home. Mums 76 and very traumatised, she hasnt slept since and is very pale. I came home from a weekend away to find her in a state and the dog still in the house. Dealt with the dog but have no idea how to help mum other than to be here. Horrible to see her so broken.

Last year after a sudden and very heavy snowfall our cat who has never used a litter box in his life and obviously in desperate need in the middle of the night and unable to go outside crapped in the bath . cats are bloody clever animals

My dog got the snip yesterday, I was working so my Wife took him to the vet, he is my best pal now but totally in the huff with my Wife 😆

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    When i visited Maderia noticed pet owners carrying bottles of water and cleaning up after pets done there needful.Place is spotless