hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The evening of 21st May 2016

How did everyone spend the evening/night of that glorious summer day? I remember getting back home, quickly changed and out to the pub to celebrate but was so emotionally drained i could hardly speak never mind drink. Actually felt strangely flat. I went home and watched the highlights with a large Scotch and when THAT goal went in i cried my eyes out for the second time that day. I was just an emotional wreck. The Sunday on the other hand....
    Last edited by SirDavidsNapper; 12-10-2018 at 12:40 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Down on Easter road outside the office drinking a carry-out while the couple of hundred of us bounced on the street, obstructing cars and buses all night. Highlight was when the singing section came with the drum and time for heroes banner. Surreal seeing flares outside a pub and just couldn’t believe we’d done it. Was a fitting night of pure emotion. The Sunday was pretty special too!!

Straight back to the office on Easter road for their after party then bumped in to all of the players outside Shanghai. Amazing night.

The following day was better IMO though, home for a shower and breakfast then off to the players sponsor morning at ER, players climbing out of car boots, Liam Henderson walking in singing the SJM song with a SJM mask on. Everybody still steaming. Not to mention the bus parade afterwards and another party in the Harp and Castle.

Went out 8 days straight, almost lost my job for coming in blottered on the Monday and Tuesday. Worth it though!

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Back to Dalkeith on the Saturday and spent most of Sunday down leith links.

Wish I went to Easter road on the Saturday night.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

I got home after the game, then my girlfriend drove me up to the pub (I say the pub - I was stood outside Robbies drinking a carry-out) before having a few at the 4 in hand and then trundling off home.

Leith Walk was a sight to behold as I arrived. I hadn't had much to drink during the day, and I'd been up since about 4am (I stayed at Celtic Manor the night before the game and had to get back from Cardiff Airport).

As the car turned onto the bottom of Leith Walk there was just a mass of people, green smoke, crashing glass and noise. TBH it was one of the highlights of my day, having spent much of my life wondering exactly how we'd go about celebrating a Scottish Cup win - and then seeing in person exactly that.

Leith Walk was brilliant on the Saturday night.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Spent the evening on Leith Walk soaking up the atmosphere and still trying to take what i had seen that glorious day at Hampden.👍👍👍😉😉😉

Unable go to the game due to slipped discs and on crutches and tramadol. Had to give my match ticket away.

Cried my eyes out when the winner went in and a complete mess. Not sure if it was the physical pain when I jumped out my chair by mistake when SDG headed in the winner or the pure elation that I experienced with goosebumps all over.

Could not drink due to the painkillers and just sat and tried to take it all in that evening. My wife kept asking me if I was alright as I was acting strange and she put it down to the medication. I put it down to a medical term known as Hibsteria.

My sister who was at the game phoned me and gave me an account of how the day was for her. My wife and sister arranged to get to the parade at Leith Links the following day and using my crutches managed to get close to the front.

So despite missing the most famous day in our history it felt like I was there......or was it the drugs

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    i must be really boring, got the supporters bus back and then went home!

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How did everyone spend the evening/night of that glorious summer day? I remember getting back home, quickly changed and out to the pub to celebrate but was so emotionally drained i could hardly speak never mind drink. The Sunday on the other hand....
    That's what it was like for me/us in the first pub after the game. You'd think we would all be bouncing around excited.. but I actually felt a bit rough after what had just went on (and the pre match pints).

Found a second wind by the time we got to Easter Road though

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Robbies Bar. Manager locked the doors as he was paranoid about overcrowding and the police but we just let folk climb in the window 😀 Sing song down to my flat in the Links via the Best kebab house. Party in the flat with champagne and vintage malt quaffed. Unforgettable 🏆

Had 3 pints in the Iona then went home. I was emotionally drained.

Sunday was great. Up early, champagne for breakfast and stumbled home some time later. Had taken the Monday as a holiday so carried on the party for a bit longer.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Off the train, into what was the Elm, then down a rammed Leith Walk which was in carnival lockdown and squeezed into the Srathmore for merriment, a place that has meant much to me since I was a bairn.

@hibs.net private member
    Always thought I would be drunk every night for a week after we won the cup but didn't quite work out like that by the time I got home I was knackered but I had a bottle of bollinger I got 30 years ago and was only to be opened when we eventually won the cup when I drank the bottle and watched the game again over and over still not believing I was there it was finally time for bed not as I had planned this in my head now Sunday that was a different story.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    I went straight home when I got back to Edinburgh, it took a long time to get down Leith Walk though
    I was very drained after the final, I had a drink before it and that probably didn't help. I really enjoyed sitting on the top deck of the 25 as we slowly made our way through the hoards of Hibees celebrating, hearing the songs and seeing the 'Time for Heroes' banner outside the Harp. I went home and put the final on the TV and fell asleep quite early. Was bright eyed and bushy tailed for the celebrations on Sunday and I got a great spot near where the bus stopped with the team in the Links.

After the 2007 league cup final I went out drinking, watched the match a further two times in Robbies and The Harp and Castle, seen the team bring the cup down the Walk and barely remember stumbling home singing Hibs songs at silly o'clock. Have to say I preferred my 2016 much more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Wish I’d planned to go on to Edinburgh but didn’t want to jinx it. Thankfully my mate drove up (trains weren’t running) rather than myself so I could at least have a couple of beers on the way home. Went out in Leigh for a few beers once we’d got home and had tons of people coming up to us saying how much they’d enjoyed the game - not bad for a small town in south Lancashire! Was home for 11 though IIRC, was just completely drained. Went to Manchester the following day watching rugby and barely paid for a drink as a fella on our bus had put a sizeable bet on Hibs winning and was holding my responsible for his winnings!

We managed to get tickets in the ground with our neighbours (from Bathgate), who we went through on the bus with (from Linlithgow), as well as a couple of friends who traveled separately from Edinburgh.

After we go back to Linlithgow we stopped at Tesco and got a carry out and went back to the house with the neighbours for a session and then our other friends joined us. We re-watched the game, had a sing-song and I went to bed about 2ish.

I then woke up at 8 and started drinking again before we went through to Leith Links and met up with the same people (though this time we had our kids with us as well as the kind person who babysat them the night before!)

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Travelled home to Peebles rather than back to Edinburgh as I would be back the next day with the family to celebrate. I drove back from Hampden with my dad, nipped in to see my wife and kids and had some dinner before heading out to meet other fellow Hibs fans in Peebles for a celebratory night out. I sat alone in pub with a pint waiting, got some congratulations from resident Hearts fans who needed to get it out the way, then waited and waited wondering where on earth they were and thinking that this was the worst party ever and should have went through to Edinburgh. But eventually the bus arrived back and they came crashing through the doors in fine voice and it was party time for rest of the night as we shared recollections and moved from pub to pub, probably making a nuisance of ourselves, but it was a great night, but nothing could prepare you for what was to be experienced the next day with the Cup Parade to end all Cup Parades

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Back to the Cask and Barrel Broughton Street Manager locked the doors aboot 7.00pm got wrecked sang HIBS songs all night
    My Jambo Mrs and my daughter had been in Tiger Lily for afternoon tea I sent her a text at full time that simply said “Hibees Hibees” she asked my daughter to check the score on her phone last time they checked it was 2-1 Huns
    Fair play to the Mrs she was down the City Chambers on the Sunday more excited than any of us she thought it was brilliant!!

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    I was attending a Wedding Reception that I couldn't get out of.... my own.....

I thought I would be safe that weekend...
    Last edited by hibbie02; 12-10-2018 at 01:16 PM.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Got into our mini bus at Asda, took us ages to get back into town & was very quiet on this bus back sure we were all in shock. Got off at York place and walked down leith walk into pure exuberance

Cant remember

The only game i have attended Hampden that i was totally sober !

It was a long evening.
    Even longer day for me.
    Our bus got through to The Columba Club in Blantyre mid morning., as it had done in previous trips to Hampden.

I had been battling what i thought was flu symptoms for a few days (more on that later)
    Nearly did not go to Hampden,the way i was feeling.
    Hindsight is wonderful,of course.
    However,i had a feeling about this game being the one.
    We had no recent fear of that team from Govan.

Bought lunch for grandsons and soaked up the atmosphere in a packed Columba Club.

Struggled with the pub lunch and lucky if i had a mouthful or two of lager.
    So off to Hampden.....

Had an aisle seat behind the goals in line with 18 yard line.
    Good view.
    Still felt pretty lousy and even more so when they went ahead.

I got to my feet for the first time when Anthony got the equaliser .only to be knocked flying by a middle aged fatty,twice my size, who decided to run down to the front of the terrace.

Just what i needed !

The rest is as they say is...

So fast forward to the evening of that great day.

Kinda perked up a wee bit, as you would after that, and decided to go to The Clermiston Inn with my daughter and 3 grandsons for a sing song.

Stayed till shutting time and did manage a vodka or two.

Celebration/toasting purposes
    We toasted all those family members no longer with us.

Did not make the Sunday Parade.
    However,i did make the Royal Infirmary a couple of days later ,after having to call 999 with an acute loss of breathing attack.

So it was not the flu after all.
    It was 2 lung infections and pneumonia.
    Spent 12 days in hospital.

Thats the Hibernian fur ye !!
    I made the final though.

As the old song goes...

When will we see their likes again !!
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 12-10-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Was my grandaughters 2nd birthday that day so seen her in the morning before going to the game .My daughter who is also a Hibby had to miss the game as the wee yin was having a party in the afternoon. My son in law is a hun so after the game armed with some champagne and a large carry out it was back to theirs for a bbq and much singing and gloating, what a night and to be fair to him he took It like a champ. Any time he gets cocky now all I say is remember your daughters second birthday which shuts him up, and by the way the wee yin is now a Hibby

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Bus left Hampden and with all the singing and smiling on the way back, we managed to bribe the bus driver to detour right through Gorgie . Loads of angry Hearts fans ran out of the pub just off the roundabout before Gorgie, that was very amusing.

Arrived top of Leith Walk, strolled down in awe at the scenes. All traffic stopped, people playing football matches in the streets, people hanging out of windows, bars absolutely stowed out. I actually lost my wallet once I got off the bus so was upset I might not get into anywhere, but all the pubs stopped caring! Like others on here though, I was so drained from the day that after 3 pints I was done and home!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    The only game i have attended Hampden that i was totally sober !

It was a long evening.
    Even longer day for me.
    Our bus got through to The Columba Club in Blantyre mid morning., as it had done in previous trips to Hampden.

I had been battling what i thought was flu symptoms for a few days (more on that later)
    Nearly did not go to Hampden,the way i was feeling.
    Hindsight is wonderful,of course.
    However,i had a feeling about this game being the one.
    We had no recent fear of that team from Govan.

Bought lunch for grandsons and soaked up the atmosphere in a packed Columba Club.

Struggled with the pub lunch and lucky if i had a mouthful or two of lager.
    So off to Hampden.....

Had an aisle seat behind the goals in line with 18 yard line.
    Good view.
    Still felt pretty lousy and even more so when they went ahead.

I got to my feet for the first time when Anthony got the equaliser .only to be knocked flying by a middle aged fatty,twice my size, who decided to run down to the front of the terrace.

Just what i needed !

The rest is as they say is...

So fast forward to the evening of that great day.

Kinda perked up a wee bit, as you would after that, and decided to go to The Clermiston Inn with my daughter and 3 grandsons for a sing song.

Stayed till shutting time and did manage a vodka or two.

Celebration/toasting purposes
    We toasted all those family members no longer with us.

Did not make the Sunday Parade.
    However,i did make the Royal Infirmary a couple of days later ,after having to call 999 with an acute loss of breathing attack.

So it was not the flu after all.
    It was 2 lung infections and pneumonia.
    Spent 12 days in hospital.

Thats the Hibernian fur ye !!
    I made the final though.

As the old song goes...

When will we see their likes again !!
    The Clerie, thats where I ended up straight after the game, aahh

Was sober for the game as I was driving through with my daughter. I remember it was round about when we were rejoining the M8 that she said "Christ we've done it", as we'd been really quiet in the car up till then. Back home and my wife had a quick meal ready for us and then we all headed to Middleton's which was rammed. People watching the highlights on the telly and when the winner was replayed you'd have thought it was a live game - people jumping, hugging and spilling drink all over the place. Outside, many people had a carry out and the singing and dancing was superb, especially when the Time for Heroes banner made an appearance. I will never forget the guy who came in with a piece of the Hampden turf and laid it on a table for people to caress, and there was actually a queue for this. Euphoria can never come close to an accurate description of the emotions on display that glorious evening.

Thanks for sharing folks. What an incredible day

@hibs.net private member
    Was on a cruise ship in Alaska having watched the game on the wee screen on my telephone about 8am their time. Whole thing was surreal as nobody on board knew anything about Scottish football and staff wouldn’t put it on a tv. Drank a few drams though to celebrate. Cost a fortune on a cruise ship but worth every penny. Also confirmed to me that I am the jinx

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Was on a cruise ship in Alaska having watched the game on the wee screen on my telephone about 8am their time. Whole thing was surreal as nobody on board knew anything about Scottish football and staff wouldn’t put it on a tv. Drank a few drams though to celebrate. Cost a fortune on a cruise ship but worth every penny. Also confirmed to me that I am the jinx
    If you spend the next 8 months on the moon, we'll win the league.

First Team Regular
    Was on one of the Tor double deckers bedlam going through but oddly enough quiet as hell coming back everybody in a trance .. then we hit the top of the walk 😂 absolute crazy scenes the bus could hardly get down the street . Back to Tor till yon time , got fone call at 7-30am from my m8 telling me to get round .. the games going on again , by around 10am there was about 20 in his house in Restalrig then down the links . What a weekend that was never ever forget it till the day I die .