hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gazza KB'd

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but this is a shoddy and insulting way to treat anyone. The blazers just stumble from one circus to another.
    Exactly this. What a ****ty way to treat the man, out in the public eye as well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Erse yes, bigot no.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    And Marvin Bartley found guilty of threatening to ruin a females life, as she was going to spill the beans to his bird about their affair.
    Is Marvin getting inducted into the Hall of Fame? Such whataboutery prevailing on this topic.

What a shambles!

I couldn't believe that Gazza was ever considered for such an accolade, when his best known goal came in a vital Euro 96 game playing against Scotland for the Auld Enemy. I could understand if it was the Scottish League doing this, to respect those who did great acts to promote the Scottish Leagues. But an Englishman who's best known for a goal against Scotland.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Classic Scottish football stushie. Moralistic, self-righteous types getting up on their hind legs and spouting nonsense. I love it.

The double standards on display reassure me that traditional values still hold firm.

Interesting to note how many psychiatrists, and psychologists contribute to Hibs.net, by the way - amazing what you can learn by reading the tabloids, and adapting a concerned countenance.

I wonder how many of you would feel comfortable saying his weight loss is due to cancer? The sad fact is, none of us know what's going on in that guy's head, it's bad form to discuss it in such an offhand and uninformed way.

I don't know why he was nominated anyway. That entire Rangers team was full of outstanding internationalists.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Interesting that George Best is now brought into the discussion.

In my opinion, he just lived his life differently from most of the rest of us, and, as far as I m aware, was fairly law abiding.
    He did do time in jail.
    Last edited by Chic Murray; 12-10-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    Another SFA shambles
    Total tosh.Nothing to do with the SFA.The panel choosing the nominees is made up of football journalists/media and nominations can be made by the public or discussions by the panel.In fact it’s SFA people who have brought about the withdrawal of the nomination .Still don’t let facts get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Interesting that George Best is now brought into the discussion.

In my opinion, he just lived his life differently from most of the rest of us, and, as far as I m aware, was fairly law abiding.
    Exactly. Is there any evidence that George ever assaulted any of the numerous women who enjoyed his company? Or indeed anyone for that matter?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
    Exactly. Is there any evidence that George ever assaulted any of the numerous women who enjoyed his company? Or indeed anyone for that matter?
    Sadly, there would appear to be more than a suspicion.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...verything.html

The statement was very poor I thought. He's not getting it because of his 'health'.. Why would anyone think it was ok to say this?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Is Marvin getting inducted into the Hall of Fame? Such whataboutery prevailing on this topic.
    My point is we are quick enough to condemn other players for their misdemeanors, I.e. wife beating, alcoholics blah blah blah. When over the years our players aren't squeaky clean.
    For football alone damn right he deserves to be there. By far the best player that I have ever seen in Scottish fitbaw since following Hibs from 1979. He was also a character that sadly lacks in world football these days.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    His mental illness may well be an explanatory factor for a lot of his behaviour, but i dont believe it can explain away some of the things he’s done.

On a footballing level, his nomination was well merited, but if its based on complete character, it’s probably the correct call.
    Is there a 'complete character' stipulation? I ask because I don't know what the criteria are. As far as I'm aware it's based solely on what the nominees contributed to the game, which in Gazza's case was a lot.

If he's excluded, then I'd wager there are a good number of inductees who had troubled personal lives. Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone immediately spring to mind. Would anyone question their inclusion? And would George Best be excluded had he been Scottish?

If there's a clause which states something along the lines that as well as being an oustanding player/manager etc a nominee must also have been a clean-living, mentally stable character then I imagine they'd have to de-select a good many.

The SFA are incredible really. They shoot themselves in the foot all the time. They claim to have concerns about Gazza's health.

What they're worried about is that he might do something radge at their fancy event.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Read the statement by Club 1872 earlier. Good to see the caring side of The Rangers again. Pity most of their members probably can't read. Club 1690 would suit them better.
    Last edited by Baader; 12-10-2018 at 09:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Is there a 'complete character' stipulation? I ask because I don't know what the criteria are. As far as I'm aware it's based solely on what the nominees contributed to the game, which in Gazza's case was a lot.

If he's excluded, then I'd wager there are a good number of inductees who had troubled personal lives. Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone immediately spring to mind. Would anyone question their inclusion? And would George Best be excluded had he been Scottish?

If there's a clause which states something along the lines that as well as being an oustanding player/manager etc a nominee must also have been a clean-living, mentally stable character then I imagine they'd have to de-select a good many.
    Johnstone and Baxter contributed rather more to Scottish football than Gascoigne. There is no comparison.

The SFA are incredible really. They shoot themselves in the foot all the time. They claim to have concerns about Gazza's health.

What they're worried about is that he might do something radge at their fancy event.
    The SFA are not involved.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Read the statement by Club 1872 earlier. Good to see the caring side of The Rangers again. Pity most of their members probably can't read. Club 1690 would suit them better.
    http://club1872.co.uk/news/paul-gasc...me-nomination/

Much of that has already been covered on here

"All the best on the back of his health challenges?" Wtf does that mean?

Otherwise the usual whitaboot bile, from those small town knuckle draggers.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    Sadly, there would appear to be more than a suspicion.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...verything.html
    Interesting read thanks for posting

http://club1872.co.uk/news/paul-gasc...me-nomination/

Much of that has already been covered on here

"All the best on the back of his health challenges?" Wtf does that mean?

Otherwise the usual whitaboot bile, from those small town knuckle draggers.
    They do love a statement eh?

I'm just surprised our manager didn't make it into this one. I'm a tad disappointed at that to be honest.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    They do love a statement eh?

I'm just surprised our manager didn't make it into this one. I'm a tad disappointed at that to be honest.
    They have the uncanny knack of destroying your sense of reason and fair play by steaming into every argument with their gun boat diplomacy.

I actually think they had a good argument, before they started playing the victim card. For them to complain about convicted racists, well you couldn't make it up

He should never ever have been nominated in the first place but to do so, opening him up to abuse from all sides then take it away from him is honestly unforgivable. The man has very serious mental health issues and this is the kind of thing which could knock him off the rails again.

SFA should hang the heads then be given their marching orders.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post
    He should never ever have been nominated in the first place but to do so, opening him up to abuse from all sides then take it away from him is honestly unforgivable. The man has very serious mental health issues and this is the kind of thing which could knock him off the rails again.

That's a matter of speculation. I do think they shouldn't have gotten into the matter, by citing his "health".

For all we know, he could have cancer, or liver disease. We wouldn't be trying to second guess what's going on there, would we?

"Mental health issues" seems to be a cop out for basically saying someone's behaviour is strange, but not really being able to explain why

To me, he is a daft laddie that can't take responsibility for his own life, and deliberately sabotages attempts to make him grow up. I still don't think he should be denied the hall of fame entry on those grounds though.

Serious "mental health issues" tend to be a lot more debilitating than his, check out Frank Bruno's story, for the devestation it can cause people.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Andy Gray feels he should be nominated for Scottish Footballs Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    If a place in the hall of fame is anything whatsoever to do with a footballing contribution then he is as deserving as many. Look at the list - there are a good few flawed characters/ erses in there already.

If it's the Mary Poppins award for an all-round good person then he shouldn't be in there - but you should probably go removing half the people who already are.

Scottish football's ability to make a fool of itself continues to astound me.

SFA officials threaten to boycott? I wonder who and why, and whether this was a missed opportunity to dispense with a few blazer-clad numpties?

I have no respect for Paul Gascoigne the person but plenty for Paul Gascoigne the footballer, and sometimes you need to separate the two.
    About sums it up for me.

I think that the worry may be that some black-tied nutters in the audience might do something embarrassing.

That's a matter of speculation. I do think they shouldn't have gotten into the matter, by citing his "health".

For all we know, he could have cancer, or liver disease. We wouldn't be trying to second guess what's going on there, would we?

"Mental health issues" seems to be a cop out for basically saying someone's behaviour is strange, but not really being able to explain why

To me, he is a daft laddie that can't take responsibility for his own life, and deliberately sabotages attempts to make him grow up. I still don't think he should be denied the hall of fame entry on those grounds though.

Serious "mental health issues" tend to be a lot more debilitating than his, check out Frank Bruno's story, for the devestation it can cause people.
    He has been known to have had mental health issues for many years.

Apart from the addiction issues that have blighted him especially with booze, he has had OCD for a long time - the D of which stands for disorder.

Gascoigne has done some stupid things and downright bad things - for that he must face the music, but it's unfair to dismiss his health issues, which have been well-documented.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    He has been known to have had mental health issues for many years.

Apart from the addiction issues that have blighted him especially with booze, he has had OCD for a long time - the D of which stands for disorder.

Gascoigne has done some stupid things and downright bad things - for that he must face the music, but it's unfair to dismiss his health issues, which have been well-documented.
    My point is, it's unfair to say that this episode has anything to do with his mental health, when nobody has said it is. It's quite wrong, in fact.

Whether you think his past history points to serious mental illness, depends on whose word you take for it, and how you define serious mental illness.

Just because something is in the paper, doesn't make it true.

'We shouldn't try and second guess...'

Followed by a load of pop psychology on Gascoignes personality, behaviour and attitide.

You're consistent I'll give you that.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post

It’s nothing to do with the SFA.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    It’s nothing to do with the SFA.
    Of course it isn’t but current officers of Scottish football museum include Alan Mcrae and ****ing Campbell Ogilvie.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...52276/officers
    Last edited by Spike Mandela; 13-10-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    'We shouldn't try and second guess...'

Followed by a load of pop psychology on Gascoignes personality, behaviour and attitide.

You're consistent I'll give you that.
    So are you. You rarely get past the sentence that gives you an excuse for virtue signalling. There was so much to consider in what I posted, but guess which bit you're talking about?

I think it's fair to say that his health shouldnt have been used as the reason for not giving the award.

If he is mentally ill, or does have another illness, it should have nothing to do with his eligibility for the hall of fame.

Likewise, assuming that the health problems cited are mental health based is equally pop psychology. My big bear is that armchair psychiatrists analyse people's mental health in a way that the wouldn't analyse physical health.

You are right to point out i am guilty of that myself. Possibly illustrating the dangers and poor taste of speaking about
    any aspect of people's health in public

I shouldn't have given my opinion (he's a waster) no more than anybody else should be giving theirs. I'd feel even guiltier if I didn't think he uses it as a crutch, and comes back with a different diagnosis, every time he needs attention, it has to stay out of jail.

There is no reason he shouldn't be in the hall of fame because if that though
    Last edited by Chic Murray; 13-10-2018 at 01:05 PM.