hibs.net Messageboard

How do people know what horses to back?

I understand that there is form and race length that suits a horse. I just dont understand how people know what horse to pick or what horse has the best chance of winning. Is there anywhere I can learn?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    The short story is, regardless, its a guess as anything can happen on the day and no matter how much research you put into it, it can still all go to ***t very quickly.

Previous form over the distance is what I always used to use when I was working at Ladbroke and had to take an interest.

Quote Originally Posted by kullboys View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand that there is form and race length that suits a horse. I just dont understand how people know what horse to pick or what horse has the best chance of winning. Is there anywhere I can learn?
    Years of practice, trial and error, learning and studying.... and I still get it wrong more often than not.

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    For my annual Grand National bet, I always went for the jockey whose colours were most like a Hibs top.

Hope that helps.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kullboys View Post
    Pretty Boy can probably help you understand, he seems pretty clued up on his horses.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

Weight is a factor that's often overlooked in handicap races. The better the horse the more weight is carried on the saddle.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    For my annual Grand National bet, I always went for the jockey whose colours were most like a Hibs top.

Hope that helps.

Something green and white and around the 20s mark for the National. Worked in 2014, but never again.

My mate had spent a lot of time researching the horses and had a spread of bets on, and I'd just stuck 10 on the winner at the last minute due to the colour of his jersey.

Otherwise when I'm at the races I just work on the basis that the bookies will be right over the day more than me and assume the odds are fairly indicative of the horse's chance of winning and pick based on that with whatever risk/reward I'm after.
    Mon the Hibs.

I tend to find the form of the top races is more reliable than trying to pick the winner of a class 6 race where the runners have all been beaten by about 20 odd lengths on their previous run. I'm more likely to have watched top horses previous runs too. Also, if you've looked at a race and made your selection, don't let paper "tipsters" change your mind, cost me a few quid with this years Cambridgeshire.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; Today at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I tend to find the form of the top races is more reliable than trying to pick the winner of a class 6 race where the runners have all been beaten by about 20 odd lengths on their previous run. I'm more likely to have watched top horses previous runs too. Also, if you've looked at a race and made your selection, don't let paper "tipsters" change your mind, cost me a few quid with this years Cambridgeshire.
    This is good advice. If you limit your betting to Group 1 and 2 races on the flat and Grade 1 and 2 races over the jumps you can at least bet with reasonable confidence that all the horses will be "trying" and the form is more consistent.

Sticking to single bets only will increase your chances of long term profits. Accumulators in any sport but especially horse racing are the bookies meat and drink.

And has been said above....Never change your mind