hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Mowbray didn't have the advantages that Lennon has - no money, boo training centre etc, but he still produced a team that played some breathtaking football at times.

I'd still say that Lennon is better though, he has brought a winning mentality that Mowbray never quite managed to instill - and his side plays very good football as well.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    For me, the difference is that Lennon is building on solid foundations and is being allowed to rather than having to actively sell.

Lennon for me. He’s better tactically and making changes when things aren’t going well. Mowbray was great for Hibs though, his team were fantastic to watch at times. It’s difficult to compare them fairly though. Times are different now.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After Mowbray huddle in the middle of the pitch at ER as Celtic manager the question should be Calderwood vs Mowbray: who's the biggest ****?
    think that comment is rather unfair. he became manager of a club that he had ties with and added to the fact with his family problems during the time with them he had shall we say an affinity with them and that Spat you refer to was bound to happen when he first returned to ER, representing another club When he was first appointed as our manager, my best mate(fellow Hibby) said......Mowbray? who the f is Mowbray? he went on to be a great manger with Hibernian, and had us playing fantastic football at times. As A founder member of our supporters club, I take pleasure in the fact that the branch still use his name "Mowbray". on the downside, I was personally disappointed when he quoted....football club managers only have a shelf life of 3 years. He probably is correct, in that sense but did not want to jump ship before giving us something.

I would pick Lennon over Mowbray. We did play some great football under Mowbray but he did inherit the golden generation whereas Lennon and backroom staff have had to work hard to wheel and deal in the transfer market.

In my lifetime Eddie Turnbull still number one mainly due to the 400+ games he managed and I was a young lad at the time but what a team.

Ask me again if Lennon still with us in a few years and he will probably be my No 1

1. Turnbull (great team who should have won more but for a great Celtic team in the same era)
    2. Lennon (because of how we are playing football and I look forward to every match)
    3. Stubbs (because he delivered the Scottish Cup)
    4. Mowbray / McLeish (some great football)

Close but Lennon for me too. With Mowbrays team I would arrive and not know if we were going to play like Brazil or the Blue Brazil. Also, Mowbrays inability to pick a goalkeeper that looked like he could catch a ball will always stick in the craw a bit. Was it 4 years he gave to Zibi the week before he left? Sake.

Lennon for me. Mowbray did a fantastic job with the resources he had , but , Lennon has a completely different mentality. I think that Lennon has shown to be more pragmatic and adaptable than most managers in my lifetime but most importantly, for me, much more ruthless. He has no issue dealing with problems but is supportive of his team, yesterday at 3 nil continued to place demands on players for sloppiness , this encourages me. GGTTH

Tony made me fall in love with Hibs.

TM put together a pretty good team.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GlasMatt PSN ID: mrxblaikiex
    Mowbray is the behind Lennon and Stubbs for me

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I’m surprised people are being so dismissive about Tony Mowbrays side. That was a class hibs team.

FWIW I think Lennon too but I don’t agree with the ‘not even close’ sentiment from this thread.

The win % are similar but Mowbray has a much smaller budget and his whole hibs career was in the top flight.
    throw in the fact that he was competing against the financial doping at hearts at the time. as well as Rangers (RIP) and Celtic.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    I loved Mowbray and that Hibs team but in all honesty we massively underachieved and he was fortunate to have such a high number of quality players coming through.

We'd have been genuinely challenging for the league if Lennon had been in charge of those players imo.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    It’s difficult to compare like for like with the stats given a season of Lennon’s were in the first division. I think Lennon is the better Hibs manager and his team would beat Mowbray’s team as we don’t have a soft underbelly anymore.

That being said, and it’s not a slight on Lennon’s team, which I love, but Mowbray’s team were more exiting. Not always for the right reasons, but used to love those random games where we’d find ourselves 3-0 down to Gretna at home before coming back to win 5-3 or some such. It was as frustrating at times as it was enjoyable but it was exciting never knowing what Hibs team would turn up or knowing when we were beaten.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    Mowbray’s team played some wonderful attacking football but could be a defensive mess at times. His astonishing blindness when it came to goalkeepers made for some painful derby matches.

Lennon so often gets the tactics right in the big games and we have seen some excellent attacking play in 2018 despite having to rebuild our midfield. He has got his winning mentality over to the squad and it will be a sad day when he leaves us.

Lennon is the clear winner for me.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I only became a Hibs fan in the 2005-06 season, and one of my most prominent memories of Tony Mowbray's Hibs is 0-4, 1-4, 0-4. In fact, the 0-4 at Hampden (the first Hibs game I ever attended) has made derby performances a massive barometer on how successful a manager is personally.

Lennon for me.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Used to love going along to Easter Road and all the talented young laddies running oot to the sound of “Teenage Kicks” by the Undertones.

The only thing was because of their youth inconsistency and inexperience they were either brilliant or rubbish.

I remember going up to Tannadice on Boxing Day sadly on the same day as the Tsunami as part of a large travelling HIBS support and the young laddies blew a very good Dundee United team away 4-1 playing fast exciting attacking football throwing caution to the wind.

The 2007 League Cup Win is Tony Mowbrays legacy

Before he chose to leave us I thought Tony Mowbray was the real deal

Neil Lennon is on track to have a better record and ultimately be a better Manager than Tony Mowbray but there is much work still to be done

Who said you win nothing with kids?

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    100% Lennon.

We played some nice stuff under Mowbray, but Lennon has given us a ruthlessness and a steely resolve to win on top of often being highly entertaining. Lennon has also demonstrated an ability to see a team get "dismantled" i.e. losing your three best midfielders in one window but to swiftly address the situation and maybe even strengthen the team from that point.

Favourite ever Hibs manager. He fights for us.
    I think this has been where Neil Lennon, assisted with our current set up, has shown where he has the difference over other modern day Hibs managers. Usually we have a manager who does well but once they start losing key members of the team the performances drop and a downward spiral begins. Neil has, in my opinion, faced this problem twice and very quickly rectified and arguably (early days this season) improved upon the previous situation.

First one was the striker situation last year where he had to replace a front line mid season and it was a great success, then the midfield this summer (beginning to show how good they can be).

That's what makes him truly stand out as a great manager for me.

Celtic fans in the pub yesterday were saying that lennon is the fans no1 choice to replace brenda at the end of the season

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    Celtic fans in the pub yesterday were saying that lennon is the fans no1 choice to replace brenda at the end of the season
    I've no doubt he's the fans choice, they still love him. Whether the club feel he's the right man is another matter, I hope they have bigger ambitions (purely from a selfish pont of view, I think the pull to return to Parkhead might be too much for NL to turn down).

Testimonial Due
    I can understand that . . . . . . . Celtic poaching the team manager of the 2019 Double winning SPFL and Scottish Cup.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Yeah! I met some Celtic fans in a boozer in George Street in the summer who said they only wanted SJM as a bench warmer.

Keep dreaming!

Arrogant tossers!

Loved Mowbrays era. Some of the football was out of this world. Played Celtic and Rangers off the park in Glasgow regularly but would also regularly lose smaller teams. Too inconsistent and tactics sometimes questionable. Lennon is by far the superior manager and we have a better team now.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    There is absolutely no comparison.
    Lennon is streets ahead.
    If there was ‘no comparison’ then you wouldn’t be posting in this thread🤭

Coaching Staff
    Lennon never signed Zibi.......

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Lennon never signed Zibi.......
    But maybe in some parallel universe he did and zibi is world class

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Lennon or Stubbs and Mowbray or Mcleish would be much closer to call .
    Only one of they four won the Scottish cup . Lennon has the best win ratio and has us playing some cracking football. I cannie choose .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    The fact that 8 of Neil's team have been selected to represent their nations at different levels this week speaks volumes for the team he's managed to put together.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DickieDastardly View Post
    Lennon has brought a winning mentality and hard edge that I doubt I have seen in all my years watching Hibs.

Seems to have the total respect of the players, the media and the board - no one dares cross him nor under perform.
    This. I just don't see a Lennon team losing 0-4 in a Scottish Cup Semi Final v Hertz

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    This. I just don't see a Lennon team losing 0-4 in a Scottish Cup Semi Final v Hertz
    With the O’Connor sale and Riordan absence and all the blousing over Murrayfield, Hibs bottled it as a club before the game even started. Impossible to see that happening under Lennon/Dempster.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Big Mogga had us playing some lovely football, but I think Lennon is far ahead of him tactically.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875