hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 266
  1. #61
    First Team Regular Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Research for the Home Office suggests that only 4 per cent of cases of sexual violence reported to the UK police are found or suspected to be false. Studies carried out in Europe and in the US indicate rates of between 2 per cent and 6 per cent.

    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a8077876.html

    That's because false allegations of all kinds go unpunished. There have recently been some liars finally getting convicted of making false allegations though but sadly many walk free. But it is something that the Sheriffs are going for and long may it continue.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #62
    @hibs.net private member Captain Trips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    44
    Posts
    12,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rape isn't about sex.

    It's about power and violence and control and risk and misogyny.

    Why do you think some men get sexually arroused by rape porn, or even snuff movies?
    Somebody from JKB will be along to answer that for you.
    If I choose to revert back to Carlsberg it will have to be The Carlsberg

  4. #63
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    36,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's because false allegations of all kinds go unpunished. There have recently been some liars finally getting convicted of making false allegations though but sadly many walk free. But it is something that the Sheriffs are going for and long may it continue.
    I don't understand your point.

    Only 4% of allegations are shown to be false. The fact that the person who made the false allegation was prosecuted or not doesn't change that percentage.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  5. #64
    Don't know if there are any legal experts on here who may be able answer a few questions which occur to me.

    If a charge is brought what jurisdiction is there for extraditing him from Italy as a Portuguese citizen to stand trial?

    How long would that take?

    How long does it take to bring a case like this to court?

    I think it may be difficult to carry on his football career while all the above is taking place.

    What sort of punishment are we looking at if he is convicted? One year, two, ten,twenty, throw the key away?

  6. #65
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Somebody from JKB will be along to answer that for you.
    No need.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  7. #66
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,017
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thereís a 24 tweet thread on twitter from the journalist @derWinterbach who outlines some
    Pretty detailed documents, fact checking and process he has gone through to validate this story..worth reading together with his published article...on the face of it comes over detailed and credible ..

    Obviously only one view of the events ....

  8. #67
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Sunny Capital
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you actually read the article or any of the supporting documents?

    She didn't wait until now, the crime was reported to LVPD the morning after the alleged incident where she was examined by a medical expert specialising in this type of crime who recorded injuries consistent with someone who had been anally raped.

    You are reading about it now because Ronaldo's representatives broke the conditions of the NDA which has allowed her to discuss what happened.
    Did the authorities not believe there was enough evidence to pursue a conviction at the time ?

    Sorry I've not read any of the allegations,evidence,or reasoning for accepting the cash settlement.

    On a personal note no amount of money would silence me if victim of sexual assault.

  9. #68
    From what I've read things don't look good for Ronaldo at all. But until there's a proper trial we don't know.

  10. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did the authorities not believe there was enough evidence to pursue a conviction at the time ?

    Sorry I've not read any of the allegations,evidence,or reasoning for accepting the cash settlement.

    On a personal note no amount of money would silence me if victim of sexual assault.
    No amount?

  11. #70
    First Team Regular Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did the authorities not believe there was enough evidence to pursue a conviction at the time ?

    Sorry I've not read any of the allegations,evidence,or reasoning for accepting the cash settlement.

    On a personal note no amount of money would silence me if victim of sexual assault.

    And i agree with this. It should not be possible to even sign such a deal.

  12. #71
    Testimonial Due 500miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,362
    It'll not take long for the other victims to come forward if there's something in this. Tends to be a pattern of behaviour, especially concerning someone with Ronald's means and opportunity.

  13. #72
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,228
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rape ruins lives as well.

    Nothing in her story sounds unbelievable and more women are coming forward now because they finally have a voice, regardless of any settlement it should be investigated, at the very least other women should be aware that he doesn't take no for an answer.
    Of course it does. I'm not denying that, nor am I assuming guilt/innocence.

    I was just replying to a specific question.

  14. #73
    Coaching Staff MWHIBBIES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    6,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And i agree with this. It should not be possible to even sign such a deal.
    Easy to say when you don't have millions of Ronaldo fans trying to silence and discredit you. She deserves massive respect for changing her mind and coming forward now, assuming this is true of course.

  15. #74
    Testimonial Due AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    not sure
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,399
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On a personal note no amount of money would silence me if victim of sexual assault.
    I think anyone would say the same, so long as they didn't know what it is lile to be in that situation. Rape victims generally suffer from PTSD, which causes intense feelings of guilt, shame and worthlessness. If the allegations are true, i would doubt that it was the money that silenced her.

  16. #75
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,930
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did the authorities not believe there was enough evidence to pursue a conviction at the time ?

    Sorry I've not read any of the allegations,evidence,or reasoning for accepting the cash settlement.

    On a personal note no amount of money would silence me if victim of sexual assault.
    Some justice systems are based on the effect on the victim, rather than punishment for the perpetrator.

    For example, a case of murder in Masai culture was settled by the murderer giving the victim's family 49 head of cattle. Some Asian systems allow criminals to avoid jail time by compensating the victim practically or financially.

    Whilst I'm not advocating that in the West, the concept of "victim impact" has become increasingly important, particularly when considering sentencing. That is a good thing IMO.

    Everyone has their own definition of justice. Perhaps some victims of assault and sexual crimes would prefer to be compensated rather than face the ordeal of the court case.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  17. #76
    First Team Regular Orchard_Hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wardie, Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    820
    Having read the article itís a horrific tale and very upsetting. As a Ronaldo fan Iíd love to say itís not true however these things go above football and idols, he is not above the law and should be punished accordingly if found guilty, if itís not true unfortunately mud sticks and he will be forever tarnished by this, my own thoughts towards him have certainly changed on reading this article.

  18. #77
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    36,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchard_Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having read the article itís a horrific tale and very upsetting. As a Ronaldo fan Iíd love to say itís not true however these things go above football and idols, he is not above the law and should be punished accordingly if found guilty, if itís not true unfortunately mud sticks and he will be forever tarnished by this, my own thoughts towards him have certainly changed on reading this article.
    The fact that he allegedly admitted in writing that he apologised afterwards is pretty damning.

    He can afford good lawyers though so who knows.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  19. #78
    First Team Regular Orchard_Hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wardie, Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The fact that he allegedly admitted in writing that he apologised afterwards is pretty damning.

    He can afford good lawyers though so who knows.
    I agree completely, however I was trying to not hang the man until heís found guilty.

  20. #79
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Age
    31
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchard_Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having read the article itís a horrific tale and very upsetting. As a Ronaldo fan Iíd love to say itís not true however these things go above football and idols, he is not above the law and should be punished accordingly if found guilty, if itís not true unfortunately mud sticks and he will be forever tarnished by this, my own thoughts towards him have certainly changed on reading this article.
    I read the start of the article which described the night in question, itís not good reading at all. However itís one side of the story and ur opinion of him should really only change if the story is proven true. I canít stand the guy if Iím honest but we live in a world where u should be innocent until proven guilty.

  21. #80
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    36,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchard_Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree completely, however I was trying to not hang the man until heís found guilty.
    Me neither. Just a comment on what was in the article.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  22. #81
    First Team Regular Orchard_Hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wardie, Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read the start of the article which described the night in question, itís not good reading at all. However itís one side of the story and ur opinion of him should really only change if the story is proven true. I canít stand the guy if Iím honest but we live in a world where u should be innocent until proven guilty.
    You should read the whole thing, IF itís true he doesnít have a leg to stand on

  23. #82
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    8,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't understand your point.

    Only 4% of allegations are shown to be false. The fact that the person who made the false allegation was prosecuted or not doesn't change that percentage.
    I'm interested in this 4% figure.

    How was this number ever arrived at?

    How much certainty is there that this figure is accurate?

    What is the truth - what actually happened or what a court is found to have happened?

  24. #83
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    36,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm interested in this 4% figure.

    How was this number ever arrived at?

    How much certainty is there that this figure is accurate?

    What is the truth - what actually happened or what a court is found to have happened?
    I was surprised that the figure was as high as 4% to be honest.

    I can guarantee you that there are a heck of a lot more men who are never prosecuted for sexual assault or rape than the number of malicious allegations.

    But since you're interested in the research's veracity, click on the highlighted words "Home Office" in this article. It fully explains the research.

    Read the article first, obviously.

    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a8077876.html
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  25. #84
    I was on the jury for a rape case over 25 years ago.The victim was a drug addict and had become ill,her boyfriend went to phone an ambulance and another guy took the opportunity among other physical assaults to rape her.There were five women on the jury.At the first round the table they all wanted to acquit,mainly because they considered her a low life.One guy sat reading his paper in the jury room and refused to take part because he wasnít interested.
    The matter of corroboration was informative.Obviously in most cases there are only two people present.In this one there was the account of the victim plus the other physical injuries casting doubt on consensual sex and and forensic evidence that there were other injuries which were often seen in rape cases.In other words it wasnít just a ďhe said,she saidĒ situation and corroborated evidence doesnít have to mean someone else who saw it.
    Anyway the women on the jury after a few hours were finally convinced that not liking someoneís lifestyle was good enough reason to let a rapist off. Needless to say after the verdict it was disclosed he had form and the Sheriff sent him to the High Court for sentencing.

  26. #85
    Coaching Staff jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    13,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was surprised that the figure was as high as 4% to be honest.

    I can guarantee you that there are a heck of a lot more men who are never prosecuted for sexual assault or rape than the number of malicious allegations.

    But since you're interested in the research's veracity, click on the highlighted words "Home Office" in this article. It fully explains the research.

    Read the article first, obviously.

    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a8077876.html

    Thanks, good link.

    The article recognises a key problem though - that believing an account and proving guilt in a criminal court are very different things.

  27. #86
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Antwerp
    Posts
    8,503
    Looks like the police department have reopened the case.

  28. #87
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    20,157
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did the authorities not believe there was enough evidence to pursue a conviction at the time ?

    Sorry I've not read any of the allegations,evidence,or reasoning for accepting the cash settlement.

    On a personal note no amount of money would silence me if victim of sexual assault.
    I think I read something saying she would not name the perpetrator at the time for fear of repercussions.

    Overall, this story does seem to be gaining some legs. With the sense of entitlement that (some) young, rich, sports stars have, it would not be a surprise at all if this happened IMO.

  29. #88
    Coaching Staff 21.05.2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,742
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As if Ronaldo is going to rape a woman never mind anyone

    He's got millions of men/women who are going to drop their pants in a second just to spend a couple of minutes with him

    Didnae happen
    Perhaps that was just it? He wasn't used to a woman saying no to him and he didn't like it?

    BTW I'm not saying that is or isn't what happened, obviously the only 2 people who know exactly what took place that night are this woman and Ronaldo, I'm just saying that just because you are an attractive person with a lot of fame and wealth who wont struggle to find people wanting to sleep with him doesn't mean you are incapable of doing these things. Rape is not always about sex, sometimes it's about things like power, annoyance at someone saying no to you etc.

    When people hear famous footballers accused of rape, so many are quick to spit out the "awck just another gold digger looking for a big pay out". Yes, there are SOME woman out there who have played the rape/sexual assault against rich footballers in aim of trying to get a settlement or a bit of fame but there are a lot of genuine cases out there and the fact so many people are quick to brandish the "gold digger" label, there are probably a lot more victims out there that have actually said nothing in fear of being labelled that.

  30. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As if Ronaldo is going to rape a woman never mind anyone

    He's got millions of men/women who are going to drop their pants in a second just to spend a couple of minutes with him

    Didnae happen

    Right up there with the most idiotic posts ever on Hibs.net.

  31. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As if Ronaldo is going to rape a woman never mind anyone

    He's got millions of men/women who are going to drop their pants in a second just to spend a couple of minutes with him

    Didnae happen
    Whit?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved