hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get why it's the super rich, global superstar that people are feeling sorry for here.

Even if Ronaldo never plays football again he'll be sitting on more cash than I could ever dream of. In no way will Hibs life be ruined.

If we've learned anything over the last few of years it's that those in power are skilled at hiding their crimes behind NDA's and lawyers. The last thing they need is more protection whilst victims have their actual lives ruined and if they dare say something, are savaged online.

As well as sitting up and listening women, agreements like this should be banned. I can't understand how it's ethical for a lawyer to profit from something like this either.
    I'd rather carry on being skint at the end of most months than live the rest of my life as a millionaire constantly accused and labelled as a rapist.

It's not about taking sides with whoever has least money. It's about who is in the right and who is in the wrong. I have no idea who that is in this case.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I'd rather carry on being skint at the end of most months than live the rest of my life as a millionaire constantly accused and labelled as a rapist.

It's not about taking sides with whoever has least money. It's about who is in the right and who is in the wrong. I have no idea who that is in this case.
    If you are innocent why make an out of court settlement? Reeks of Trump. Probably influenced by those out of court settlement s reopened against him - make more fame etc. At the time of alleged offence CR7 about to sign for Real so may have been paid to keep that deal sweet even if untrue.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Noticed he’s not in the Portugal squad for their 2 games coming up, including the friendly against Scotland

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Noticed he’s not in the Portugal squad for their 2 games coming up, including the friendly against Scotland
    Yep, left out because of the allegations resurfacing.

This could get very messy, no pun intended.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Wonder if he was left out or if he excluded himself?

Sadly this is a victory for Guilty until proven Innocent

Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    If you are innocent why make an out of court settlement? Reeks of Trump. Probably influenced by those out of court settlement s reopened against him - make more fame etc. At the time of alleged offence CR7 about to sign for Real so may have been paid to keep that deal sweet even if untrue.
    I'm not passing any opinion on whether I think Ronaldo is innocent or not. I'm just saying I completely disagree with the above quoted poster making out like we shouldn't sympathise with someone who has to live with these allegations because they make a really good living

If he's guilty he deserves punishment and to live with it like anyone else. If he's not then he has my full sympathy.. rich superstar or not.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post

He wasn’t in the last squad to be fair. But probably wisely to keep a low profile, let Portugal get on with playing

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post

In Portugal they see Nations League as friendly matches. The Portuguese I know were not expecting Ronaldo to feature in the squad anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    In Portugal they see Nations League as friendly matches. The Portuguese I know were not expecting Ronaldo to feature in the squad anyway.
    Santos, quoted on the website of Portuguese sports newspaper O Jogo, said: “I personally always support my players and here it is not even a question of solidarity, I believe what the player said publicly, he considers [rape] an abject act and clearly reaffirms that he is innocent of what he is being accused of.

“There was a conversation with the player, the president of the federation [Fernando Gomes] and I. We agreed that the player would not be in these two call-ups, this and the next one in November.”
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    wasnt the payment to keep it out the press rather than do nothing about it? i said the same about michael jackson, why pay out millions to save something from going to court if you are innocent

I'm not passing any opinion on whether I think Ronaldo is innocent or not. I'm just saying I completely disagree with the above quoted poster making out like we shouldn't sympathise with someone who has to live with these allegations because they make a really good living

If he's guilty he deserves punishment and to live with it like anyone else. If he's not then he has my full sympathy.. rich superstar or not.
    Hear Hear. The voice of reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Is OJ Simpson innocent of murdering his ex-wife and friend?

He got off with it, but is he innocent?
    The OJ Simpson "legal hoodwink" remains probably the most high profile and scandalous of all murder cases, where the overwhelming evidence against Simpson was allowed to be trampled on and dismissed through legal shenanigans and sleight of hand. Every man and his dog knew and still knows that he was guilty.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I don't get why it's the super rich, global superstar that people are feeling sorry for here.

Even if Ronaldo never plays football again he'll be sitting on more cash than I could ever dream of. In no way will Hibs life be ruined.

If we've learned anything over the last few of years it's that those in power are skilled at hiding their crimes behind NDA's and lawyers. The last thing they need is more protection whilst victims have their actual lives ruined and if they dare say something, are savaged online.

As well as sitting up and listening women, agreements like this should be banned. I can't understand how it's ethical for a lawyer to profit from something like this either.
    It's not just the super rich, it's anyone. Could be me, you, a family member, whoever.

Reputation tarnished forever whether you're guilty or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    It's not just the super rich, it's anyone. Could be me, you, a family member, whoever.

The thing is, it really couldn't just be anyone.

The likelihood of anyone I know paying someone not to publicise a rape allegation is extremely remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post

happened to a guy i used to work with, was accused of rape, was taken away from the workplace by police, most of the work knew within minutes of what allegedly happened, turns out the female in question had a boyfriend and felt guilty for cheating so everything was dropped, the guy ended up leaving though as he felt everyone still thought he had done it

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    happened to a guy i used to work with, was accused of rape, was taken away from the workplace by police, most of the work knew within minutes of what allegedly happened, turns out the female in question had a boyfriend and felt guilty for cheating so everything was dropped, the guy ended up leaving though as he felt everyone still thought he had done it
    Was the accuser not charged with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Was the accuser not charged with anything?
    not sure to be honest, she also left shortly after

Juve not concerned at all about the accusations as 'hes been a great professional.... and great champion'.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    As if Ronaldo is going to rape a woman never mind anyone

He's got millions of men/women who are going to drop their pants in a second just to spend a couple of minutes with him

Didnae happen
    Wow.

Where to begin with this!?

Rape has absolutely nothing to do with how desirable, or otherwise, a person is sexually and how likely it is that they'll get sex.

It's all about power and control and getting a kick out of exerting that over another human being.

I have absolutely no idea if Ronaldo is guilty or not but the fact that he's a global superstar, who could have practically any female he wants, does not make him innocent and it's absolutely ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    The OJ Simpson "legal hoodwink" remains probably the most high profile and scandalous of all murder cases, where the overwhelming evidence against Simpson was allowed to be trampled on and dismissed through legal shenanigans and sleight of hand. Every man and his dog knew and still knows that he was guilty.
    There are quite interesting semantics involved in this.

OJ Simpson is not guilty of the crime the he was accused of committing because he went to court and was formally found not guilty. On the other hand for those who think he committed the crime, despite being formally and actually not guilty, he is also the perpetrator of those murders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Wow.

Where to begin with this!?

Rape has absolutely nothing to do with how desirable, or otherwise, a person is sexually and how likely it is that they'll get sex.

It's all about power and control and getting a kick out of exerting that over another human being.

I have absolutely no idea if Ronaldo is guilty or not but the fact that he's a global superstar, who could have practically any female he wants, does not make him innocent and it's absolutely ridiculous to suggest otherwise.
    I was going to reply but actually didn’t know where to begin. I just assumed the quoted poster was either still of school age or attempting to be funny..

I was going to reply but actually didn’t know where to begin. I just assumed the quoted poster was either still of school age or attempting to be funny..
    I think he was the man in the street.

Reported his sponsorship with Nike is £1 Billion pounds!!

Quite a lot at stake here, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post

OJ Simpson is not guilty of the crime the he was accused of committing because he went to court and was formally found not guilty. On the other hand for those who think he committed the crime, despite being formally and actually not guilty, he is also the perpetrator of those murders.
    And because he lost the civil murder case, he's a murderer.

Wasn’t he also convicted in a civil court?

Yep, left out because of the allegations resurfacing.

This could get very messy, no pun intended.
    I don't think it has anything to do with the allegations, he wasn't in the last squad either and doesn't want to waste energy on realtively unimportant games

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    And because he lost the civil murder case, he's a murderer.
    I'm not sure that's right. Was he actually convicted of murder?

@hibs.net private member
    I'm not sure that's right. Was he actually convicted of murder?
    As far as I remember, yes. Civil court has a lower standard of proof. He had to pay massive damages.

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with the allegations, he wasn't in the last squad either and doesn't want to waste energy on realtively unimportant games
    It has everything to do with the allegations. Do you really think a player can just decide not to "waste energy" because it's just a Nations League game?

That would mean Ronaldo was bigger than his national football federation. No chance.

In any case, if he'd been left out for any reason other than the allegations, they'd be at pains to point it out.

Instead their statement reads; "Earlier on Thursday the Portugal national football team’s announced it was leaving its captain out of its next two games came after police in Las Vegas announced they were re-opening their investigation into Ms Mayorga's claim.

Ronaldo will miss Portugal’s second game in the Uefa Nations League in Poland next Thursday and a friendly match in Glasgow against Scotland three days later.

Fernando Santos, Portugal's coach, said Ronaldo would also not be called up for the next round of international games in November.

Mr Santos said the decision was taken after a discussion between himself, Ronaldo and the head of the Portuguese football federation.

“We agreed the player wouldn’t be available, wouldn’t be an option for selection,” Mr Santos said. “For the next two squad selections, this one and the one next month, Ronaldo won’t be with us.”