hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Brexit voting.

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Voted remain, still remain.

    74 91.36%
  • Voted remain, now leave.

    1 1.23%
  • Voted leave, now remain.

    2 2.47%
  • Voted leave, still leave.

    4 4.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 80
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,271

    Current Brexit Views

    Voted remain, and still strongly remain after watching this shambles unfold. Interested to see how others view this, particularly if there has been a swing from leave to remain.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    I didn't vote first time around, I was inbetween remain and leave, saw advantages to both but slightly sided with remain at the time due to the lack of vision from Leave on what Brexit would actually mean.

    Since then I went into the Leave camp, I actually see a number of advantages to a no deal scenario and the scare stories plus constant negativity on show from the Remain camp pushed me further into Leave, mirroring many who were initially No during the Scottish referendum and then voted yes due to the constant negativity.

    I'm also very uneasily at the adulation and almost worshipping of the EU from many indy Yes voters given the EU's actions during the Scottish referendum.

    Having said all that however I'd still be undecided in another referendum, I'd vote Leave if Scotland was independent prefering a situation like Norway in EFTA, however given independence for me is a priority I'd consider being sneaky and helping the Scottish remain vote to further fuel the case for another independence referendum.

  4. #3
    Testimonial Due Glory Lurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miles from in the know
    Posts
    2,497
    Voted remain, still remain.

    There’s a lot of room for improvement in the EU, but the benefits of it outweigh that. For me, the present alternatives of Chequers or no deal are as appetising as a bucket of cold sick.

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,862
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually see a number of advantages to a no deal scenario ...
    Help me out here. What advantages are there in a no deal scenario?

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    12,226
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Help me out here. What advantages are there in a no deal scenario?
    Take back control
    and a slogan on a bus
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  7. #6
    Voted remain, still remain.

    The EU is imperfect but it's preferable to any alternative proposal I've seen put forward thus far.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    3,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and a slogan on a bus
    The bus one was a beauty, especially when a couple of months ago the Government (May) crowed about delivering on the promise even although we weren't yet out the EU as she announced additional funding for the NHS.

    They went all quiet when it was pointed out that NHS is normally given some additional funding every year to mitigate inflation and this time around it was less than expected so actually a cut!
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Voted remain, still remain.

    The EU is imperfect but it's preferable to any alternative proposal I've seen put forward thus far.
    It is imperfect but there is a bit of "...What have the Romans ever done for us" with the EU, in that the impact on our day-to-day lives is pound-for-pound hugely positive, which seems to have been forgotten about in all the tumult.

    Like you say, there's no real positive as an alternative, which isn't a surprise but again seems to be being missed.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  10. #9
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,245
    Being unable to vote in UK national elections and referendums I'm basically democratically neutered. It was a price I was willing to pay to enjoy the benefits of free movement within the EU and one that allowed me to make my home and start a family anywhere I liked. Now that the UK has decided to leave the EU me and many like me have had their hand forced. I've now started the process to obtain German citizenship to ensure my families continued security and it's something I never thought I'd have to do. Fortunately I've prepared financially for my retirement and have enough years under my belt to draw a full UK pension as well as qualifying for a fairly decent German one provided I continue to work here or in another EU state for the next few years. Together with my army pension and 2 private ones I will be reasonably comfortable. However I can't help but feel sorry for the many who don't have enough years under their belt and who might now not be able to add UK and EU pension credits together. If I had a choice then I'd prefer the status quo and can't help but feel resentment at having to adjust life plans that were a given only 5 short years ago. Guess I'll have to buy that wee retirement house on the Portuguese or Spanish coast now instead of Fife.

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    51
    Posts
    17,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Being unable to vote in UK national elections and referendums I'm basically democratically neutered. It was a price I was willing to pay to enjoy the benefits of free movement within the EU and one that allowed me to make my home and start a family anywhere I liked. Now that the UK has decided to leave the EU me and many like me have had their hand forced. I've now started the process to obtain German citizenship to ensure my families continued security and it's something I never thought I'd have to do. Fortunately I've prepared financially for my retirement and have enough years under my belt to draw a full UK pension as well as qualifying for a fairly decent German one provided I continue to work here or in another EU state for the next few years. Together with my army pension and 2 private ones I will be reasonably comfortable. However I can't help but feel sorry for the many who don't have enough years under their belt and who might now not be able to add UK and EU pension credits together. If I had a choice then I'd prefer the status quo and can't help but feel resentment at having to adjust life plans that were a given only 5 short years ago. Guess I'll have to buy that wee retirement house on the Portuguese or Spanish coast now instead of Fife.
    I'm in the same boat. I'm often asked why I haven't taken French citizenship (I've lived here 15 years), and I always reply that I'm not French, I don't feel French and I doubt I ever will. Now it looks like I'll have to get measured up for a stripy jumper and a beret.

    Quelle bande de cons ces rosbif !

  12. #11
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Voted remain, still remain.

    There’s a lot of room for improvement in the EU, but the benefits of it outweigh that. For me, the present alternatives of Chequers or no deal are as appetising as a bucket of cold sick.
    Agree with this.

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,882
    Remain and remain for me.

    Such a monumentally stupid form of self harm.

    My mate and I were discussing it and he has believed that it is so big that it will never happen. We might leave in name only and get our blue passports, but in effect we will just stay but have ZERO impact on the rules.

    It’s the worst of all worlds, but is the least worse option.

    That way when the madness has subsided we can rejoin again as we will in effect have never left.

    J

  14. #13
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Let's get on with it, although those who work will see a further decrease in wages as they compete with cheap labour from China and Africa, as opposed to cheap labour from Europe. The ultimate irony is that a large amount of people who voted to leave don't work at all, and won't notice any difference.

    They call them "the left behind." If I was left behind, I'd be on the next bus out of the place, but they are sitting in their own mess trying to drag everyone back.

    Big money men will be the winners in the end.

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cramond
    Posts
    2,270
    Voted remain. Still YES.

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cramond
    Posts
    2,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The ultimate irony is that a large amount of people who voted to leave don't work at all, and won't notice any difference
    Define a "large amount". The unemployment rate is rather small, which means that even if everybody who was unemployed voted to leave, it would still have only made up a small fraction of the overall vote.

    If by unemployed you actually mean "retired". Then that's a whole other matter.

  17. #16
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Define a "large amount". The unemployment rate is rather small, which means that even if everybody who was unemployed voted to leave, it would still have only made up a small fraction of the overall vote.

    If by unemployed you actually mean "retired". Then that's a whole other matter.
    I didn't think you needed evidence in a Brexit debate, just a sense of prejudice.

    In other words, I'm bang to rights, I have no idea, but it fitted my narrative.

  18. #17
    First Team Regular norhfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bergen,Norway
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Being unable to vote in UK national elections and referendums I'm basically democratically neutered. It was a price I was willing to pay to enjoy the benefits of free movement within the EU and one that allowed me to make my home and start a family anywhere I liked. Now that the UK has decided to leave the EU me and many like me have had their hand forced. I've now started the process to obtain German citizenship to ensure my families continued security and it's something I never thought I'd have to do. Fortunately I've prepared financially for my retirement and have enough years under my belt to draw a full UK pension as well as qualifying for a fairly decent German one provided I continue to work here or in another EU state for the next few years. Together with my army pension and 2 private ones I will be reasonably comfortable. However I can't help but feel sorry for the many who don't have enough years under their belt and who might now not be able to add UK and EU pension credits together. If I had a choice then I'd prefer the status quo and can't help but feel resentment at having to adjust life plans that were a given only 5 short years ago. Guess I'll have to buy that wee retirement house on the Portuguese or Spanish coast now instead of Fife.
    Same boat, never thought I,d need a Norwegian Passport as Norway basically follows EU regulations. Thats all gone tits up so I am now considering a Norwegian Passport. My two kids have British at the moment but will change them when they expire shortly. I have been out of UK for so long I wont get a UK pension but thats fine, Norways is so much more, my problem is I have property in Edinburgh. Not sure what to do, will wait and see I suppose, having a foreign Passport could cause me problems as I am back and forth quite often. Really get my head round why this all happened and my families status will all change in march next year. Now I am hoping for a Scottish Passport with EU stamped on the front.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,882
    Quote Originally Posted by norhfc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same boat, never thought I,d need a Norwegian Passport as Norway basically follows EU regulations. Thats all gone tits up so I am now considering a Norwegian Passport. My two kids have British at the moment but will change them when they expire shortly. I have been out of UK for so long I wont get a UK pension but thats fine, Norways is so much more, my problem is I have property in Edinburgh. Not sure what to do, will wait and see I suppose, having a foreign Passport could cause me problems as I am back and forth quite often. Really get my head round why this all happened and my families status will all change in march next year. Now I am hoping for a Scottish Passport with EU stamped on the front.
    Go for Dual Nationality. That way you have the Norwegian Passport for staying at home and your British / Scottish one when you come back to Edinburgh.

    J

  20. #19
    First Team Regular norhfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bergen,Norway
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Go for Dual Nationality. That way you have the Norwegian Passport for staying at home and your British / Scottish one when you come back to Edinburgh.

    J
    Norway currently doesnt allow dual nationalities, think it could be the only country in europe who doesnt. Although saying that I heard recently they are reviewing this, it will be a solution for me if they do

  21. #20
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    36,258
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I voted remain and am still of the opinion that we should remain.

    My biggest concern is that we have a Government who are not only making it up as they go along, but seem wholly incompetent with regards to steering the country through Brexit.

    When you hear Theresa May, I don't even think she has the language capacity to understand what it's all about - she is virtually incoherent and can't answer simple questions. She's like a rabbit in the headlights, when the rabbit's been out on the sauce all day and doesn't know if it's going home or heading for a stew.

    No deal looks increasingly likely, IMHO - the closer the exit date gets, the stronger the EU's negotiation hand is. This 'no deal is better than a bad deal' is nothing but hyperbole, it's a slogan that means nothing. No deal is a terrible situation, and to pretend that it's better than having something arranged is lunacy.

    Under normal circumstances, I'd be amazed that the people responsible for the country hadn't already put the brakes on the whole thing and at least offered the second referendum, if not canned the whole thing. Unfortunately, we're governed by a bunch of Etonian ****ers who care for their own interests and not a lot else, and so it's not amazing that we're getting dragged down with them, it's completely expected.

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,882
    Correct. And they should be taken to task on this. We aren’t buying a car here, the fall back isn’t “take the bus”. A bad deal is better than no deal. And the bad deal is definately worse than what we have now.

    Doing some importing of goods at the moment from Israel, we (by virtue of being in the EU) have a free trade agreement with Israel, so no import duty to be paid.

    **** knows what happens from the 1st April 2019. Additional cost I’d assume, and who is going to pick that cost up?

    J

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't think you needed evidence in a Brexit debate, just a sense of prejudice.

    In other words, I'm bang to rights, I have no idea, but it fitted my narrative.
    Ha ha good post

  24. #23
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,245
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No deal looks increasingly likely, IMHO - the closer the exit date gets, the stronger the EU's negotiation hand is. This 'no deal is better than a bad deal' is nothing but hyperbole, it's a slogan that means nothing. No deal is a terrible situation, and to pretend that it's better than having something arranged is lunacy.
    This is something that frustrates me. The idea of article 50 is to negotiate how to get us from a position of EU membership to a no deal status or in other words the divorce. Then and only then can new deals be negotiated. Article 50 isn't intended to result in us renegotiating our relationship with the EU, it's there to pave the way of our exit.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,695
    Wanted to vote leave for a left wing U.K. but voted remain as there was no case being put forward for Leftexit. I also think that we should respect the referendum result and get on with making Brexit work.

    I was a fervent no voter but when and if there’s another Scottish referendum I’ll make my mind up based on the economic arguments being made at that time. But I doubt we will see any referendum on the EU or Scotland in the next 5 years.

    But if Scotland voted for independence would we get another one whether we wanted to give up our so called “freedom” back to the EU?

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member PeeJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    4,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Being unable to vote in UK national elections and referendums I'm basically democratically neutered. It was a price I was willing to pay to enjoy the benefits of free movement within the EU and one that allowed me to make my home and start a family anywhere I liked. Now that the UK has decided to leave the EU me and many like me have had their hand forced. I've now started the process to obtain German citizenship to ensure my families continued security and it's something I never thought I'd have to do. Fortunately I've prepared financially for my retirement and have enough years under my belt to draw a full UK pension as well as qualifying for a fairly decent German one provided I continue to work here or in another EU state for the next few years. Together with my army pension and 2 private ones I will be reasonably comfortable. However I can't help but feel sorry for the many who don't have enough years under their belt and who might now not be able to add UK and EU pension credits together. If I had a choice then I'd prefer the status quo and can't help but feel resentment at having to adjust life plans that were a given only 5 short years ago. Guess I'll have to buy that wee retirement house on the Portuguese or Spanish coast now instead of Fife.
    Would have voted remain too (naturally), but as an ex-pat, of course, I wasn't allowed to!! The referendum remit was badly flawed in my opinion: a qualified majority of 65%+ should have been the minimum requirement either way, after all this is an existential decision, not a vote for a bypass!

    Good luck with the citizenship procedure by the way, it's easy enough if you meet all the requirements and the only advice I could give you is to keep at them "Beamten" if you feel it is taking too long - they always have two piles on their desk: one with the "to do" applications and one with the applications from people who keep phoning up asking how things are progressing - guess which one is smaller. If you need any help with the "Einbürgerungstest" let me know - I wanted to be first out the door for mine, but some little lady beat me to it by 30 seconds!!

    Then again, maybe you should reconsider: is a future in a Soviet-Union prison camp really what you want for your family?
    Hunt



    .... Die spinnen, die Briten ....

  27. #26
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    10,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The bus one was a beauty, especially when a couple of months ago the Government (May) crowed about delivering on the promise even although we weren't yet out the EU as she announced additional funding for the NHS.

    They went all quiet when it was pointed out that NHS is normally given some additional funding every year to mitigate inflation and this time around it was less than expected so actually a cut!
    They had better give a lot more funding to the NHS and the care sector because they're going to be toiling for staff after Brexit.
    Personally, I don't think it was just "the slogan on the bus wot won it". It was good old British xenophobia and racism.

  28. #27
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,245
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would have voted remain too (naturally), but as an ex-pat, of course, I wasn't allowed to!! The referendum remit was badly flawed in my opinion: a qualified majority of 65%+ should have been the minimum requirement either way, after all this is an existential decision, not a vote for a bypass!

    Good luck with the citizenship procedure by the way, it's easy enough if you meet all the requirements and the only advice I could give you is to keep at them "Beamten" if you feel it is taking too long - they always have two piles on their desk: one with the "to do" applications and one with the applications from people who keep phoning up asking how things are progressing - guess which one is smaller. If you need any help with the "Einbürgerungstest" let me know - I wanted to be first out the door for mine, but some little lady beat me to it by 30 seconds!!

    Then again, maybe you should reconsider: is a future in a Soviet-Union prison camp really what you want for your family?
    Hunt



    Thanks Peejay. Obviously the Beamten in the city are a different breed to those out here in dunkel Deutschland. I made 2 phone calls of enquiry last week and now have them battering down my door to get this done. The application has pretty much been completed by them over the phone and I'm now at the stage where I've just got to do the Einbürgerungstest. The test needs to be applied for 4 weeks in advance which I did via telephone on Thursday. Once that's complete the friendly Beamtin Frau Bernard has assured me I can just pop by her office with the necessary documentation and test results and we'll get the whole thing rubber stamped within minutes. No hassle, no stress and I've yet to set foot in a government building.

    The test is a piece of cake and I've run through a few online simulations recommended to me by the VHS school where I registered for the test. Passmark is 17 correct answers from 33 and I'm averaging 31 correct answers with a couple of guesses. It's not exactly Raketen Forschung and I expect to be a fully fledged member of the spiky hat sausage eating club early December.

    I've actually gone from feelings of complete indifference to being a little excited about the move.

    🎶🎵"4 World cups and no world wars, doo dah doo dah!". 🎵🎶

  29. #28
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,245
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Personally, I don't think it was just "the slogan on the bus wot won it". It was good old British xenophobia and racism.
    The British are renowned around the world for being emotionally reserved until their blood alcohol levels have reached a certain level. Same applies for the nasty underlying sense of national superiority.

  30. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Define a "large amount". The unemployment rate is rather small, which means that even if everybody who was unemployed voted to leave, it would still have only made up a small fraction of the overall vote.

    If by unemployed you actually mean "retired". Then that's a whole other matter.
    How many unemployed would there be when all those of working age and claiming other benefits are counted? Last time I saw it was reported at about double the unemployment rate. Method of counting unemployment rate has changed many times to make it look lower.

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many unemployed would there be when all those of working age and claiming other benefits are counted? Last time I saw it was reported at about double the unemployment rate. Method of counting unemployment rate has changed many times to make it look lower.
    For working age (16 - 64) the percentages are roughly as follows:

    Employed 75%
    Unemployed 4%
    Economically inactive 21%

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved