hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    And the award for the biggest non-sequitur of the night goes to .....

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Is it just me thatís a bit bewildered about the coverage this is getting on BBC and Sky? Itís got no relevance to the UK at all, but is huge news apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it just me that’s a bit bewildered about the coverage this is getting on BBC and Sky? It’s got no relevance to the UK at all, but is huge news apparently.
    It’s being covered everywhere. Some folk get a bit annoyed by it but we get coverage of US politics/news/entertainment/weather for various reasons. They are the only true superpower. Some folk feel an affinity with the US for whatever reason, some of us work with folk in the US everyday, they speak English, part of ‘the West’ etc etc.

Aside from that, watching a continual car crash (their politics) is pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    So you have already made up your mind he is guilty then?
    I'm not sure how anyone could watch the testimonies and think otherwise?

Putting aside the sexual assault allegations, it's quite clear that Kavanaugh perjured himself several times. From his explanations on calendar entries and high school slang terms used, to denying he'd watched Blasey Fords testimony when several reporters witnessed him watching.

He repeatedly lied about other potential witnesses refuting her account.

His conduct was appalling and references to "revenge for the Clintons" etc....... It's crazy that he's even being considered but that is the GOP. They're making up the rules as they go.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Itís being covered everywhere. Some folk get a bit annoyed by it but we get coverage of US politics/news/entertainment/weather for various reasons. They are the only true superpower. Some folk feel an affinity with the US for whatever reason, some of us work with folk in the US everyday, they speak English, part of Ďthe Westí etc etc.

Aside from that, watching a continual car crash (their politics) is pretty interesting.

Car crash tv, Everybody wants to see.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I'm not sure how anyone could watch the testimonies and think otherwise?

Putting aside the sexual assault allegations, it's quite clear that Kavanaugh perjured himself several times. From his explanations on calendar entries and high school slang terms used, to denying he'd watched Blasey Fords testimony when several reporters witnessed him watching.

He repeatedly lied about other potential witnesses refuting her account.

His conduct was appalling and references to "revenge for the Clintons" etc....... It's crazy that he's even being considered but that is the GOP. They're making up the rules as they go.

Kavanaugh perjured himself and refuses the FBI investigation and polygraph. His lies about his drinking alone have been contradicted by numerous people, male and female, who were at college with him.

Why would Dr Ford and the other women step forward now, completely at random? Is it a political hit job? Well, Dr Ford is an academic in her fifties who has four university degrees, so would she really be willing to be used in this way as part of a political agenda? It's simply a ridiculous idea.

I believe her testimony and that of the other women who have come forward. The courage of Dr Ford and the other women who have feared their coming forward would lead to ridicule, is moving. Let's hope we are finally reaching the point where nobody who commits such crimes can rely upon misogyny to get off.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member HFC_NYC's Avatar
    If anyone can say that they never did anything stupid in their teen years with absolute truth, then I tip my hat to you. Yes, alleged tempted rape goes above being stupid, but the fact that this was only brought up AFTER the initial background check has to raise suspicion. Also, consider the fact that the democrats, from the outset, said they would do anything to oppose his conformation leads to me to believe that this is a set up. This allegation could have been reviewed in privacy, yet it was leaked to the media.....by who? The fact that he has a squeaky clean record in office is surely an indication of the man he is now. Politics is a dirty game, and this is the dirtiest I have ever seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by HFC_NYC View Post
    If anyone can say that they never did anything stupid in their teen years with absolute truth, then I tip my hat to you. Yes, alleged tempted rape goes above being stupid, but the fact that this was only brought up AFTER the initial background check has to raise suspicion. Also, consider the fact that the democrats, from the outset, said they would do anything to oppose his conformation leads to me to believe that this is a set up. This allegation could have been reviewed in privacy, yet it was leaked to the media.....by who? The fact that he has a squeaky clean record in office is surely an indication of the man he is now. Politics is a dirty game, and this is the dirtiest I have ever seen it.
    Dr Ford saw that Kavanaugh was being considered as a potential nominee back in June I think. At that stage she contacted her local senator or representative with the information. For some reason Senator Feinstein sat on this info and didnít do her job to raise this earlier. Fords actions were designed to avoid this publicity and have Kavanaugh dismisses in private and early in the process.

If people are going to be real for a moment and consider what is wrong in the process. Why should a president who is under criminal investigation be allowed to nominate a lifetime appointment? Republicans wouldnít consider Obamaís nominee because he was in his final year of office - unprecedented partisanship.

The UK is a mess but the corruption of this GOP is incredible.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HFC_NYC View Post
    We don't really know, because fewer than 10% of his communications have been released for scrutiny by the committee. I think I'm right in saying that his lawyer got to pick the ones that were to be released, and those ones only landed with the committee late at night, on the day before the proceedings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Dr Ford saw that Kavanaugh was being considered as a potential nominee back in June I think. At that stage she contacted her local senator or representative with the information. For some reason Senator Feinstein sat on this info and didn’t do her job to raise this earlier. Fords actions were designed to avoid this publicity and have Kavanaugh dismisses in private and early in the process.

If people are going to be real for a moment and consider what is wrong in the process. Why should a president who is under criminal investigation be allowed to nominate a lifetime appointment? Republicans wouldn’t consider Obama’s nominee because he was in his final year of office - unprecedented partisanship.

The UK is a mess but the corruption of this GOP is incredible.
    What's more, one who is likely to protect him from justice. Kavanaugh's previously stated the opinion that not only should a sitting president not be indicted, but that they shouldn't be subject to investigation. There's an early October vote in the Supreme Court that could enable the President to pardon State offences, as well as Federal ones. That effectively puts Trump's family and various criminal associates above the law. Kavanaugh's presence on the SC would probably swing that vote. Which probably explains the Republicans desperate rush to push him through.

Leaving aside the current allegations, they have a nominee for a lifetime, powerful position who won't authorise the release of the majority of his records, who doesn't want an FBI investigation into his past, who the American Bar Association apparently previously expressed doubts about on the basis of his political bias, who won't give detail on the sudden payoff of his large debts that happened in the run up to his nomination (he says he bought lots-$200,000(?) worth- of baseball seats for friends who hadn't paid him back, but they all suddenly did, but he's not saying who). He looks very bribe-able.

And ignoring all of that, his performance the other day, in what was basically an extension of a job interview, was wild. He was sneering, evasive, bad tempered, insulting, whiny, spoilt, aggressive, self-entitled. At a job interview. He came across as a right nasty piece of work, and it's hard to imagine any other situation where he'd still be in consideration after that.
    Last edited by s.a.m; 30-09-2018 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    We don't really know, because fewer than 10% of his communications have been released for scrutiny by the committee. I think I'm right in saying that his lawyer got to pick the ones that were to be released, and those ones only landed with the committee late at night, on the day before the proceedings.

What's more, one who is likely to protect him from justice. Kavanaugh's previously stated the opinion that not only should a sitting president not be indicted, but that they shouldn't be subject to investigation. There's an early October vote in the Supreme Court that could enable the President to pardon State offences, as well as Federal ones. That effectively puts Trump's family and various criminal associates above the law. Kavanaugh's presence on the SC would probably swing that vote. Which probably explains the Republicans desperate rush to push him through.

Leaving aside the current allegations, they have a nominee for a lifetime, powerful position who won't authorise the release of the majority of his records, who doesn't want an FBI investigation into his past, who the American Bar Association apparently previously expressed doubts about on the basis of his political bias, who won't give detail on the sudden payoff of his large debts that happened in the run up to his nomination (he says he bought lots-$200,000(?) worth- of baseball seats for friends who hadn't paid him back, but they all suddenly did, but he's not saying who). He looks very bribe-able.

And ignoring all of that, his performance the other day, in what was basically an extension of a job interview, was wild. He was sneering, evasive, bad tempered, insulting, whiny, spoilt, aggressive, self-entitled. At a job interview. He came across as a right nasty piece of work, and it's hard to imagine any other situation where he'd still be in consideration after that.
    Excellent post

@hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Not buying that he was guilty of this. Why wait until this very opportune moment to call him out decades later with a gang of "democrats" putting their weight behind it?

It stinks IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Is it just me thatís a bit bewildered about the coverage this is getting on BBC and Sky? Itís got no relevance to the UK at all, but is huge news apparently.
    The perfect distraction from the no-deal brexit fiasco.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    Not buying that he was guilty of this. Why wait until this very opportune moment to call him out decades later with a gang of "democrats" putting their weight behind it?

It stinks IMO.
    So you simply dismiss allegations of such crimes out of hand if they are not reported straight away?

Should similar apply to the historical crimes of Saville, Cosby etc?

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    So you simply dismiss allegations of such crimes out of hand if they are not reported straight away?

Should similar apply to the historical crimes of Saville, Cosby etc?
    No, I just don't assume guilt until proven otherwise. That used to be a thing in justice which seems to be lost these days. It's no longer about whether somebody is actually guilty of a crime or not, but how it benefits or impacts certain political affiliations.

There's serious questions that need to be answered in this case, which are simply being overlooked. Why wait for this singular moment decades later to call somebody out on a crime that can no longer be definitively proved or disapproved? Do the so called "democrats" even care about the truth here? Or are they simply twisting the arm of the alleged victim to get a favourable political outcome?

I don't like Kavanaugh and his ultra conservative views. But to assume guilt in a case where there is zero definitive evidence to suggest this event ever took any shape or form is yet another blow to the justice system.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    No, I just don't assume guilt until proven otherwise. That used to be a thing in justice which seems to be lost these days. It's no longer about whether somebody is actually guilty of a crime or not, but how it benefits or impacts certain political affiliations.

There's serious questions that need to be answered in this case, which are simply being overlooked. Why wait for this singular moment decades later to call somebody out on a crime that can no longer be definitively proved or disapproved? Do the so called "democrats" even care about the truth here? Or are they simply twisting the arm of the alleged victim to get a favourable political outcome?

I don't like Kavanaugh and his ultra conservative views. But to assume guilt in a case where there is zero definitive evidence to suggest this event ever took any shape or form is yet another blow to the justice system.
    You have accused the alleged victim of political opportunism. How can you make that accusation at her while at the same time arguing for justice to take it's course?

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    You have accused the alleged victim of political opportunism. How can you make that accusation at her while at the same time arguing for justice to take it's course?
    If justice was taking it's course. All of the evidence would be looked at and considered then the verdict would be made. However, seeing as there is no evidence, there is no case. The only reason it's still on going is because of the funds being pumped into it by the Democrats desperate to get the verdict that suits their own political agenda.

At the end of the day, whether the incident actually occured or not is redundant, as it can no longer be proven in a court of law. Which only leaves emotions and sentiments to sway the dury. Which should never be allowed to happen.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    The perfect distraction from the no-deal brexit fiasco.
    This line is trotted out when anything comes into public consciousness.

Salisbury poisoning. Plot to distract from Brexit.

Storm in the USA. Distract from Brexit.

Kavanaugh sexual assault allegations. Plot to distract from Brexit.

Utter nonsense, of course, unless people are suggesting that Brexit us the only news item we should be reading/hearing about.

Plus, these "distractions" aren't succeeding in their mission, are they?

Brexit has been the leading, or at worst second, topic on the news for months.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

If justice was taking it's course. All of the evidence would be looked at and considered then the verdict would be made. However, seeing as there is no evidence, there is no case. The only reason it's still on going is because of the funds being pumped into it by the Democrats desperate to get the verdict that suits their own political agenda.

At the end of the day, whether the incident actually occured or not is redundant, as it can no longer be proven in a court of law. Which only leaves emotions and sentiments to sway the dury. Which should never be allowed to happen.
    The question is also whether Kavanaugh is a liar or not.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This line is trotted out when anything comes into public consciousness.

Salisbury poisoning. Plot to distract from Brexit.

Storm in the USA. Distract from Brexit.

Kavanaugh sexual assault allegations. Plot to distract from Brexit.

Utter nonsense, of course, unless people are suggesting that Brexit us the only news item we should be reading/hearing about.

Plus, these "distractions" aren't succeeding in their mission, are they?

Brexit has been the leading, or at worst second, topic on the news for months.
    Well perhaps you can explain to me what a court case based on something that allegedly happened decades ago in America has to do with the UK? Why is this a bigger story than our own political landscape?

The more obvious that it's becoming that they'll be a no deal, the less we're hearing about it in place of events that have no impact on us whatsoever.

The question is also whether Kavanaugh is a liar or not.
    It shouldn't be. If guilt is being accused, then it should be proven, not the other way around. That's the way justice is supposed to be. If somebody accuses you of a crime, the onus shouldn't be on you to prove your innocence, it should be on the accuser to prove your guilt.

Well perhaps you can explain to me what a court case based on something that allegedly happened decades ago in America has to do with the UK? Why is this a bigger story than our own political landscape?
    It doesn't even feature on the BBC front page. Brexit is 2nd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news

It shouldn't be. If guilt is being accused, then it should be proven, not the other way around. That's the way justice is supposed to be. If somebody accuses you of a crime, the onus shouldn't be on you to prove your innocence, it should be on the accuser to prove your guilt.
    I think it's important that the leading judge is honest, that he doesn't lie, and doesn't have a history of sexual assault.

It doesn't even feature on the BBC front page. Brexit is 2nd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
    Yet, if I switch to the BBC News channel, there is nothing about it. Instead the focus is on natural disasters far far away from here and although these news storys are major international news stories, they still hold no real relevance to what is going on here.

I think it's important that the leading judge is honest, that he doesn't lie, and doesn't have a history of sexual assault.
    How can such a thing ever be definitively ensured? Bring in somebody who won't be accused of sexual assault from decades ago right before they go for the job? How can it be guaranteed that another person who replaces him has never commited any crimes and doesn't lie?

What you're asking for is purely idealistic.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    How can such a thing ever be definitively ensured? Bring in somebody who won't be accused of sexual assault from decades ago right before they go for the job? How can it be guaranteed that another person who replaces him has never commited any crimes and doesn't lie?

What you're asking for is purely idealistic.
    It's not that idealistic - but you have to go with what you know. If background screening etc showed that the person was the right candidate and had those attributes, then you go with them. If, during those checks, you uncover that they've a history of sexual assault or telling lies then they should no longer be considered.

Yet, if I switch to the BBC News channel, there is nothing about it. Instead the focus is on natural disasters far far away from here and although these news storys are major international news stories, they still hold no real relevance to what is going on here.
    The BBC News channel is a 24 hour channel. It has to cover a large number of topics, domestic and global.

Brexit is high in the British public's consciousness. There are no diversion tactics that could change that.

In fact, in recent months, I've been getting the impression that the country is being deliberately turned away from leaving the EU. I retain hope that it being done to prepare the electorate in advance of a 2nd referendum.

Every newspaper, every news outlet, be it TV, radio or the press is talking about it every day.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar

It stinks IMO.
    #metoo has happened. Definately wasnít there in the mid 80s.

Women, rightly have a bit more credence given to them in light of Weinstein.

I would come forward if my attacker was about to gain one of the most powerful Judical seats in the country, FOR LIFE!

J

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It's not that idealistic - but you have to go with what you know. If background screening etc showed that the person was the right candidate and had those attributes, then you go with them. If, during those checks, you uncover that they've a history of sexual assault or telling lies then they should no longer be considered.
    We don't know that this man is guilty of any crime, because it can't be proven that he is. Would it be justice to deny him this job opportunity on accusation alone?

What's to stop anybody accusing the next judge in line of similar crimes, or the judge in line after him? This whole situation could repeat itself over and over again until the powers putting money into these cases get exactly who they want in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    #metoo has happened. Definately wasnít there in the mid 80s.

Women, rightly have a bit more credence given to them in light of Weinstein.

I would come forward if my attacker was about to gain one of the most powerful Judical seats in the country, FOR LIFE!

J
    Really? Because i'd have came forward at a time when evidence could have actually been provided. Not at a time when I have zero evidence to provide that such an event ever took place, just before the person I accuse is about to obtain a high position of power.