hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Kavanaugh

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're saying the rule of law could be under threat. I don't see any manipulation of the law here.
    I said Kavanaugh's view that a serving president should not be liable to indictment is a threat to the rule of the law. It's reminiscent of Nixon's infamous 'if the president does it, it's legal'; basically putting the head of state above the law.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I said Kavanaugh's view that a serving president should not be liable to indictment is a threat to the rule of the law. It's reminiscent of Nixon's infamous 'if the president does it, it's legal'; basically putting the head of state above the law.
    And we all know how that ended for Nixon.

J

@hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    No it isn't, because Kavanugh hasn't been found to have "done it". You're assuming that he has done it on the basis of accusation alone. Imagine being done out of your dream job, because you're accused of something that can never be proven to have actually happened.

No it isn't, because Kavanugh hasn't been found to have "done it". You're assuming that he has done it on the basis of accusation alone. Imagine being done out of your dream job, because you're accused of something that can never be proven to have actually happened.
    Think H&A is talking about what Trump can get away with now that Kavanaugh's in place, rather than what Kavanaugh might or might not have done in the past.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Think H&A is talking about what Trump can get away with now that Kavanaugh's in place, rather than what Kavanaugh might or might not have done in the past.
    Indeed. Kavanaugh has, in the past, said a serving president should not be liable to indictment. No surprise Trump and the Republicans were desperate to have him confirmed.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

It is, because Kavanaugh has said the laws which apply to everyone else shouldn't apply to a sitting president.

How many of Jimmy Saville's crimes can be definitely proven beyond any doubt? I don't think anyone doubts that Saville was guilty.

Kavanaugh has now been accused by 3 women IIRC and accused of lying under oath by several people too. If it was a conspiracy, where were all the accusations when Gorsuch was confirmed last year?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i see one of his 'accusers' has recanted, after writing a letter to the judiciary claiming Kavanaugh raped her she's now saying she only wanted some attention and she's never actually met the guy, hell mend her

https://www.businessinsider.com/bret...ighton-2018-11

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    i see one of his 'accusers' has recanted, after writing a letter to the judiciary claiming Kavanaugh raped her she's now saying she only wanted some attention and she's never actually met the guy, hell mend her

I may be but I don't read that article as saying what you're saying. In my reading, she didn't write the anonymous letter accusing Kavanaugh of rape. She just claimed later to be the writer - that's what she's recanting.

Still hell mend her, but the number of accusers is not reduced.
    Last edited by lapsedhibee; 04-11-2018 at 07:51 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post

This is a sideshow. Christine Blasey Ford's testimony was, and remains, credible and Kavanaugh's appearance still confirms him as wholly unsuitable for public office.
    ​#PERSEVERED