hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tourist Tax

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cool.

Any thoughts on what you think is the actual average nowadays?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Left four years ago so well out of the loop regarding occupancy. I do hear from old colleagues though that money has never been tighter since the new owners. Trying to get a P.O. authorised for anything other than the norm is damn near impossible. Hardly surprising though as the whole operation is it mutton dressed as lamb. 95/100% occupancy and the infrastructure for heating/air con/ hot water canít cope and never has done.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

2. Log in to remove the advert

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Bear in mind that the £ will likely tumble again, making the UK cheaper than other European countries

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure it's quite as simple as that CWG, any extra savings made on a fall in the pound's value would be quickly eaten into by things like higher travel costs, food expenses and mobile phone and data charges. I seem to recall a survey done just after the referendum by travelzoo that said 1/3 of EU tourists would be less inclined to visit the UK after Brexit. Subjectively my best mate's Mrs is the uber anglophile and visits the UK at least twice a year, she insists that there has been a marked change in attitude towards tourists from the average Joe. Now imaginary or not it's an attitude that I'm hearing more and more and one that will be hard to change.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    A loss? How do you know? Quieter times yes, less profits yes, but I'm sure they make enough to tick over, then BOOM, hammer the tourist time!

If the local Tesco or Sainsbury's did the same during the festival people would be up in arms.
    What do you mean how do I know? How do you know?

This place is a funny place at times.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    I'll hold my hands up to the accusation that I can't back up the logistics of a windfall tax. However I submit your argument that other businesses do the same as hotels re pricing during busy periods doesn't hold water. Evidence for the outrageous pricing structure can clearly be seen on sites like booking.com. Where is the evidence for other businesses clearly and deliberately raising prices hugely during busy times?
    Lots of restaurants run standing offers 10 months of the year (excluding August & December).

Uber is also significantly more expensive during the Fringe.