hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tourist Tax

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

Tourist Tax

It's been discussed as parts of other threads before, but there is to be a vote next week to decide if it should be introduced in Edinburgh at a rate of £2 a night.

What are peoples thoughts?

I'm all for it - a lot of (most?) other cities have it, so I don't see why not. Would put a reasonable amount of money into making the city a better place for visitors, and locals.
    I also don't think it would effect demand. I think we'd still see the same number of tourists visiting regardless.

I've visited dozens of cities that have a tourist tax and it's never once been a consideration for me when deciding where I'm going.

£11M a year is not to be sniffed at. The only problem is it would be Edinburgh Council spending the money.....
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've visited dozens of cities that have a tourist tax and it's never once been a consideration for me when deciding where I'm going.

£11M a year is not to be sniffed at. The only problem is it would be Edinburgh Council spending the money.....
    Fortunately they have no legal powers to levy tax. Theyíd probably spend the money turning the bypass into a cycle lane 😄

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    Fortunately they have no legal powers to levy tax. Theyíd probably spend the money turning the bypass into a cycle lane 😄
    Only if there's anything left over from paying for the Eighth Wonder to be completed.

Think it's a great idea. Don't think it would put tourists off at all.

Excuse my ignorance but how does/would it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but how does/would it work?
    In other countries, hotels just add £2 a night onto your stay.

This is then passed on to the council to spend on street cleaning,bin collections, etc.

I would assume it's the same here.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    No brainer IMO.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post

This is then passed on to the council to spend on street cleaning,bin collections, etc.

So £14 a night for a fortnight away? That's almost certain to be inconsequential to most people. I assume when there's a booking made, if the person booking has a scottish postcode or an EH postcode, they won't be charged?

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    So £14 a night for a fortnight away? That's almost certain to be inconsequential to most people. I assume when there's a booking made, if the person booking has a scottish postcode or an EH postcode, they won't be charged?
    In a few places I've stayed there is an exemption for locals and those travelling on business.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Not per night. £28 total for a fortnight.

That's a good question... I believe other Scottish postcodes certainly would as it's an Edinburgh council initiative, I'm not sure about EH postcodes though.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Not per night. £28 total for a fortnight.

That's a good question... I believe other Scottish postcodes certainly would as it's an Edinburgh council initiative, I'm not sure about EH postcodes though.
    That might be open to abuse.

Personally, as an EH resident, I'd have no problems paying such a small amount.

You mean jobs the council tax should be paying for?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Why do cities around the world have a tourist tax?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Visitors put extra strain on the jobs that the council tax should pay for, but do not contribute. Edinburgh council tax payers subsidise the profits of hoteliers and student accommodation providers.

We are told that tourism benefits the local economy. If that's the case, how come we are cutting back on services?

I think that it's because we are spending our money supporting the tourism sector, and the tourism sector is not contributing much to the economy. I think the profits end up leaving the city.

Tourism makes it harder for the real wealth generators like financial services to do their job, by things like road closures, and inflating property prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    Visitors put extra strain on the jobs that the council tax should pay for, but do not contribute. Edinburgh council tax payers subsidise the profits of hoteliers and student accommodation providers.

We are told that tourism benefits the local economy. If that's the case, how come we are cutting back on services?

I think that it's because we are spending our money supporting the tourism sector, and the tourism sector is not contributing much to the economy. I think the profits end up leaving the city.

Tourism makes it harder for the real wealth generators like financial services to do their job, by things like road closures, and inflating property prices.
    If a city can show where tourist tax money is spent AND ring fence it then maybe it's an idea. Too many taxes just disappear into a black hole for me.

It's a no brainer for Edinburgh. I can't understand why businesses are against it as it's not going to deter tourists at all imo.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    It's a no brainer for Edinburgh. I can't understand why businesses are against it as it's not going to deter tourists at all imo.
    Totally agree with this

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I'm just back from Lisbon. I paid my hotel up front, but I was told that there were local taxes payable at the hotel.

It was Ä1 per night. Absolutely no problem at all. I'd support an Edinburgh tourist tax, even though I'd have to pay it.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I'm just back from Lisbon. I paid my hotel up front, but I was told that there were local taxes payable at the hotel.

It was Ä1 per night. Absolutely no problem at all. I'd support an Edinburgh tourist tax, even though I'd have to pay it.
    In Italy itís only paid in 5 Star Hotels. Are Edinburgh planning for it to be in every Hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    In Italy itís only paid in 5 Star Hotels. Are Edinburgh planning for it to be in every Hotel?
    I had to pay a tax in a 3 star hotel in Italy last year

We had to pay $50 US to get out of Mexico in July. That's quite a bit more than 2 quid a night. Bit of a pain but wouldn't stop me going back.

I have had to pay similar in the mallorca/ibiza so not sure why it wouldn't work here too.

My hotel stay in Crete on Saturday week has a Ä4 government tax per night and a 0.5% city tax. I wouldn't have checked if it wasn't for this thread.

Tourists won't bat an eyelid.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    My hotel stay in Crete on Saturday week has a Ä4 government tax per night and a 0.5% city tax. I wouldn't have checked if it wasn't for this thread.

Tourists won't bat an eyelid.
    But will the council spend it wisely or just blow it on 20 mile zones being repainted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plenty of cities have it and I never bat an eye lid at it, would be a very good move for Edinburgh.

It would have to apply to Air BnB so presummably, they will have to register. They can then put them ina seperate planning category and control their impact on neighbours.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Paid it in Vegas, currently in San Francisco and not been mentioned, New York still to come and itís $21 per night there.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Paid it in Vegas, currently in San Francisco and not been mentioned, New York still to come and itís $21 per night there.
    I did the exact same trip last year , pretty sure San Francisco never had 1

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    I did the exact same trip last year , pretty sure San Francisco never had 1
    San Fran definitely does have one. It's around 15% from memory.

There's a Transient Occupancy Tax all across California.

@hibs.net private member
    A tourist tax is great idea and it gives councils extra revenue to run their authority. Our councils badly need more revenue and ways to raise it as Holyrood has been power grabbing for at least 10 years