hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tourist Tax

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

Tourist Tax

It's been discussed as parts of other threads before, but there is to be a vote next week to decide if it should be introduced in Edinburgh at a rate of £2 a night.

What are peoples thoughts?

I'm all for it - a lot of (most?) other cities have it, so I don't see why not. Would put a reasonable amount of money into making the city a better place for visitors, and locals.
    I also don't think it would effect demand. I think we'd still see the same number of tourists visiting regardless.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I've visited dozens of cities that have a tourist tax and it's never once been a consideration for me when deciding where I'm going.

£11M a year is not to be sniffed at. The only problem is it would be Edinburgh Council spending the money.....
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've visited dozens of cities that have a tourist tax and it's never once been a consideration for me when deciding where I'm going.

£11M a year is not to be sniffed at. The only problem is it would be Edinburgh Council spending the money.....
    Fortunately they have no legal powers to levy tax. They’d probably spend the money turning the bypass into a cycle lane 😄

Think it's a great idea. Don't think it would put tourists off at all.

Excuse my ignorance but how does/would it work?

It's a no brainer for Edinburgh. I can't understand why businesses are against it as it's not going to deter tourists at all imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but how does/would it work?
    In other countries, hotels just add £2 a night onto your stay.

This is then passed on to the council to spend on street cleaning,bin collections, etc.

I would assume it's the same here.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    No brainer IMO.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    In other countries, hotels just add £2 a night onto your stay.

This is then passed on to the council to spend on street cleaning,bin collections, etc.

I would assume it's the same here.
    So £14 a night for a fortnight away? That's almost certain to be inconsequential to most people. I assume when there's a booking made, if the person booking has a scottish postcode or an EH postcode, they won't be charged?

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    So £14 a night for a fortnight away? That's almost certain to be inconsequential to most people. I assume when there's a booking made, if the person booking has a scottish postcode or an EH postcode, they won't be charged?
    In a few places I've stayed there is an exemption for locals and those travelling on business.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Not per night. £28 total for a fortnight.

That's a good question... I believe other Scottish postcodes certainly would as it's an Edinburgh council initiative, I'm not sure about EH postcodes though.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    Fortunately they have no legal powers to levy tax. They’d probably spend the money turning the bypass into a cycle lane 😄
    Only if there's anything left over from paying for the Eighth Wonder to be completed.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I'm just back from Lisbon. I paid my hotel up front, but I was told that there were local taxes payable at the hotel.

It was €1 per night. Absolutely no problem at all. I'd support an Edinburgh tourist tax, even though I'd have to pay it.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I'm just back from Lisbon. I paid my hotel up front, but I was told that there were local taxes payable at the hotel.

It was €1 per night. Absolutely no problem at all. I'd support an Edinburgh tourist tax, even though I'd have to pay it.
    In Italy it’s only paid in 5 Star Hotels. Are Edinburgh planning for it to be in every Hotel?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Not per night. £28 total for a fortnight.

That's a good question... I believe other Scottish postcodes certainly would as it's an Edinburgh council initiative, I'm not sure about EH postcodes though.
    That might be open to abuse.

Personally, as an EH resident, I'd have no problems paying such a small amount.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    That might be open to abuse.

Personally, as an EH resident, I'd have no problems paying such a small amount.
    I'd agree it wouldn't be worth the hassle and may as well charge everyone.

Does anyone know who is actually voting? Councillors? I'm assuming it's not MSPs in hollyrood?
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Gatecrasher's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    The Tax would be capped at 7 nights so the most you would pay is £14. Hardly a game changer if your going on holiday in Edinburgh. I think its a great idea, Edinburgh needs a nice tidy up and an extra £11 million per year would go a long way to making the city a nicer place to be.
    Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price. -Vince Lombardi

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    It's a no brainer for Edinburgh. I can't understand why businesses are against it as it's not going to deter tourists at all imo.
    Totally agree with this

I'd agree it wouldn't be worth the hassle and may as well charge everyone.

Does anyone know who is actually voting? Councillors? I'm assuming it's not MSPs in hollyrood?
    It's a council decision, but we're nowhere near that stage yet.

The proposals have only just been published, as a consultation. Views will be taken from all interested parties (including the hotel industry, who seem to be against it) before there is a vote.

First Team Breakthrough Curried's Avatar
    I’ve always resented the fact that in many countries, as a “foreigner”, I’ve often had to cough-up much higher rates than a “local” to use public transport, stay in a hotel, or enter a public site.

I fully appreciate the widely-held belief that in some countries (particularly the very poor ones), that this revenue is used to support a wider economic dividend for the population. However, in my experience, such monies invariably end up in the hands of crooked government officials or businesses.

Scotland has experienced a massive tourism boom over recent years and hotels and tourist-based businesses are increasing their revenues year on year (see FMQ’s today). Maybe these businesses should be forking-out the tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Curried View Post
    I’ve always resented the fact that in many countries, as a “foreigner”, I’ve often had to cough-up much higher rates than a “local” to use public transport, stay in a hotel, or enter a public site.

I fully appreciate the widely-held belief that in some countries (particularly the very poor ones), that this revenue is used to support a wider economic dividend for the population. However, in my experience, such monies invariably end up in the hands of crooked government officials or businesses.

Scotland has experienced a massive tourism boom over recent years and hotels and tourist-based businesses are increasing their revenues year on year (see FMQ’s today). Maybe these businesses should be forking-out the tax.
    They already are paying increased direct and indirect taxes. I'm not sure why you would want them to pay even more.

This is about recognising the increased pressure on public services that the rise in tourist numbers bring. That's down to the individuals, most of whom will be unconcerned at the charge.

It's a council decision, but we're nowhere near that stage yet.

The proposals have only just been published, as a consultation. Views will be taken from all interested parties (including the hotel industry, who seem to be against it) before there is a vote.
    Thanks - not sure where I got it in my head that there was a vote next week.
    Mon the Hibs.

They already are paying increased direct and indirect taxes. I'm not sure why you would want them to pay even more.

This is about recognising the increased pressure on public services that the rise in tourist numbers bring. That's down to the individuals, most of whom will be unconcerned at the charge.
    Because, paradoxically, the hotels and AirB&B’s, are the businesses facilitating the increased strain on public services. No wonder they’re the ones opposed to the tax!

Because, paradoxically, the hotels and AirB&B’s, are the businesses facilitating the increased strain on public services. No wonder they’re the ones opposed to the tax!
    I'm unsure why those businesses are opposed to it. The consultation has only just begun, so perhaps that will come out in due course.

As an aside, would you extend the tax-paying to other businesses who profit from increased visitor-business? Restaurants, pubs, taxi drivers, theatres, buses, shops, half-and half scarf sellers ,.......and on and on.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 27-09-2018 at 01:10 PM.

I can't think of many examples where locals get things cheaper than tourists where I've been, maybe I've just never realised others are getting a discount... Edinburgh offer local discounts to some of the things at the Christmas market (and possibly the fringe too) so it would work both ways.
    Mon the Hibs.

I'm unsure why those businesses are opposed to it. The consultation has only just begun, so perhaps that will come out in due course.

As an aside, would you extend the tax-paying to other businesses who profit from increased visitor-business? Restaurants, pubs, taxi drivers, theatres, buses, shops, half-and half scarf sellers ,.......and on and on.

I don’t think there’s any real mystery to it. If you try to book a room in a hotel in Edinburgh over the festival, you’ll find it on average higher than anywhere else in Europe. These businesses are making a killing, and don’t want to kill the Golden Goose.

RE: the aside, its a good question, but not one I can answer with any conviction as I'm not in favour of any tourist tax.
    Last edited by Curried; 27-09-2018 at 01:31 PM.

I don’t think there’s any real mystery to it. If you try to book a room in a hotel in Edinburgh over the festival, you’ll find it on average higher than anywhere else in Europe. These businesses are making a killing, and don’t want to kill the Golden Goose.

RE: the aside, its a good question, but not one I can't answer with any conviction as I'm not in favour of any tourist tax.
    Will they kill the goose, though?

A room which might cost 100 quid would cost the visitor 102. The hotel still get their 100.

RE: the aside, its a good question, but not one I can't answer with any conviction as I'm not in favour of any tourist tax.
    Do you think it would have any impact on hotels though? If a couple come over to Edinburgh for a week during August they're going to be paying quite a bit for that all together; will the additional £14 put them off?

All of those £14's added together make for an estimated £11m apparently - which can be put to providing a cleaner city more capable of handling a large number of tourists in theory. This would then be good for the tourists and the locals - win/win. Do you think that money should be found elsewhere, or that it's just not needed as an extra source of money to help run the city?

(sorry, that's a lot of questions and I don't mean for this to seem like everyone is having a go at you - you're just the first person I've seen offer that opinion and I'm curious for your thoughts/alternatives!)
    Mon the Hibs.

Do you think it would have any impact on hotels though? If a couple come over to Edinburgh for a week during August they're going to be paying quite a bit for that all together; will the additional £14 put them off?

All of those £14's added together make for an estimated £11m apparently - which can be put to providing a cleaner city more capable of handling a large number of tourists in theory. This would then be good for the tourists and the locals - win/win. Do you think that money should be found elsewhere, or that it's just not needed as an extra source of money to help run the city?

(sorry, that's a lot of questions and I don't mean for this to seem like everyone is having a go at you - you're just the first person I've seen offer that opinion and I'm curious for your thoughts/alternatives!)

To be honest, I can't answer for what most people would do. I certainly know that in my touristic experience, I've voted with my feet if I through I was being taken advantage of, and have gone elsewhere. As I intimated to CWG, I'm not in favour of any tourist tax, but I'm sure when the issue is debated by the Government over the next few days that some alternative initiatives will be proposed.

Testimonial Due

RE: the aside, its a good question, but not one I can answer with any conviction as I'm not in favour of any tourist tax.
    I suspect it's more to do with them not wanting the hassle of administering this tax, changing all of their materials , it systems etc