hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar

5 Observations from Tonight

Hibs are a very good team.

If Hibs improve their finishing we are going to murder quite a few teams in the league.

Niall McGinn and Stevie May are finished.

Aberdeen are a big physical team who are hard to beat but apart from Shinnie they have mostly ordinary players.

Hibs will finish above Aberdeen in the league.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    If we can finish above Kilmarnock in the league, we’ll be finishing above Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

If Hibs improve their finishing we are going to murder quite a few teams in the league.

Aberdeen are a big physical team who are hard to beat but apart from Shinnie they have mostly ordinary players.

This!

Shame we’re out of the League Cup, but Im confident we’ll do well this season. Get our strikers fit, and we will murder teams. You honestly never know with the league, but I hope we’re targeting the late stages of the Scottish at least.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Another observation. Shaw may well have blown his chances tonight. Could have had a hatrick in normal time.

First Team Breakthrough

Totally, agree with all your points, well said. All this 2nd for 4 years in a row pash is doing my nut. With the huns,hertz and ourselves out the league for the majority of those seasons they should be finishing 2nd. McInnes is vastly overrated

@hibs.net private member

Fair summary for me...

An observation I would add is that Lennon/Parker almost always get their tactics and formations spot on, only a handful of exceptions...start of game and changes during it...Their level of knowledge and experience shines through . As good a managerial team as we have had imo.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Fair summary for me...

An observation I would add is that Lennon/Parker almost always get their tactics and formations spot on, only a handful of exceptions...start of game and changes during it...Their level of knowledge and experience shines through . As good a managerial team as we have had imo.
    We are out the cup again to Aberdeen. We are a striker short and no substitutions may have cost us that tie. They did set out a team that had the better of the game but it was a losing one

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Another observation. Shaw may well have blown his chances tonight. Could have had a hatrick in normal time.
    Due to the lack of signing another striker...He will get a few cracks at the whip.

Good young player anyway.

Left by mutual consent!
    For rest of his career? Flo missed sistters . He did the same at Dundee.

The fact he didn't take a penalty within the first 5 tells a lot tbh. If kamberi is out then we are relying on a forward who doesn't fancy himself with a free shot one on one from 12 yards out.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    The fact he didn't take a penalty within the first 5 tells a lot tbh. If kamberi is out then we are relying on a forward who doesn't fancy himself with a free shot one on one from 12 yards out.
    And then pinged away an extra high pressure one when it was his turn??

Some folk will take any situation to be a sign of why Shaw "isn't up to it" I guess.....

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

Some folk will take any situation to be a sign of why Shaw "isn't up to it" I guess.....

Well I mean I'm not but you carry on thinking you know best. What I said was it's strange that a striker isn't taking a penalty within the first 5. Someone who is more used to scoring goals than Lewis Stevenson who took one before him. Tells you a lot about his confidence if he doesn't fancy his chances of an open goal from 12 yards out.

@hibs.net private member Salisbury Hibby's Avatar
    Well I mean I'm not but you carry on thinking you know best. What I said was it's strange that a striker isn't taking a penalty within the first 5. Someone who is more used to scoring goals than Lewis Stevenson who took one before him. Tells you a lot about his confidence if he doesn't fancy his chances of an open goal from 12 yards out.
    I think you're basing this on assumptions. You don't know how or why the penalty takers were chosen.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Simplifying it to “doesn’t fancy his chances from 12 yards out” doesn’t help. Probably felt a bit low in confidence after the game he’d had which was understandable.

It’s not really the done thing to criticize young players that have came through the system but I fully expect Shaw to be playing at a lower level in a couple of years time.

The club obviously took the decision that we didn’t need another striker because Ollie has broken through. If he was the new signing we were all after we’d be very disappointed.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Remember the shoot out at Hampden against Rangers that we won. A guy caked Riordan didn't take one that night and he wasn't a bad player was he?

All of the above and............

Milligan, Hydeman and Ambrose played very well. Best I've seen of all these three.

Kamberi is a class act until he tired at the end.

Shaw, think we're asking too much for him to start big games such as this. He would have been better coming on for Kamberi.

Hanlon and Porteous strolled it at the back. Bogdan looked solid.

Aberdeen - they typified everything that's wrong with Scottish football. Zero attempt to play football, big physical team that got very lucky.

Hibs fan - well done to those who attended. It was colder than I expected.

Referee; after an initial spate of bookings I think he bottled it. He could easily have booked four or five more players having set the standard with a couple of soft bookings. How Shinnie never got booked is baffling.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    Remember the shoot out at Hampden against Rangers that we won. A guy caked Riordan didn't take one that night and he wasn't a bad player was he?
    He had cramped up badly at the end of extra time and was barely able to walk to the spot.

Shaw had one of those nights tonight but that’s not the end of the world, very strange that he or the management team didn’t think the only striker left on the pitch was a good choice for a penalty though. Especially since the one he did take was calm and well finished.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    I think it's likely they kept Shaw back to have a more natural goalscorer further down the order.

See also: Cummings in the semi v Dundee United, Holt v Brondby, Malonga v Dundee United at ER.
    They've only gone and done it! They've only gone and won the Scottish Cup! What kept you, Hibs?!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayern Bru View Post
    I think it's likely they kept Shaw back to have a more natural goalscorer further down the order.

See also: Cummings in the semi v Dundee United, Holt v Brondby, Malonga v Dundee United at ER.
    Tbf I think all of the above were in the first 5

Quote Originally Posted by hibee62 View Post
    He had cramped up badly at the end of extra time and was barely able to walk to the spot.

Shaw had one of those nights tonight but that’s not the end of the world, very strange that he or the management team didn’t think the only striker left on the pitch was a good choice for a penalty though. Especially since the one he did take was calm and well finished.
    Who knows how it was decided - maybe Shaw puts his hand up along with 6 or 7 others for the first 5 kicks and Lennon has to choose 5 from the volunteers and decides to leave Shaw out as he felt his shooting boots weren't on or his confidence would have been affected by earlier misses.
    Maybe Shaw doesn't volunteer.
    Maybe they had a running order before the game - who knows.

What we do know - just in terms of the penalties is when it did come to Shaw's turn he scored a very good pen under big pressure

First Team Regular gorgie greens's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibbystew7
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    All of the above and............

Milligan, Hydeman and Ambrose played very well. Best I've seen of all these three.

Kamberi is a class act until he tired at the end.

Shaw, think we're asking too much for him to start big games such as this. He would have been better coming on for Kamberi.

Hanlon and Porteous strolled it at the back. Bogdan looked solid.

Aberdeen - they typified everything that's wrong with Scottish football. Zero attempt to play football, big physical team that got very lucky.

Hibs fan - well done to those who attended. It was colder than I expected.

Referee; after an initial spate of bookings I think he bottled it. He could easily have booked four or five more players having set the standard with a couple of soft bookings. How Shinnie never got booked is baffling.
    What frustrated me so much last night was Boyle being greedy on a couple of occasions when an easy pass for a tap in but decides to shoot instead but when people criticise Boyle for not scoring enough you can not blame him for shooting.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

I think this is nonsense tbh.

1 , The midfield isnt that lightweight after all

2 , Efe is class and Hyndman can play

3 , Aberdeen aint great

4 , Mallan is like Dylan McGeough with a better shot and Set Pieces

5 , We create alot of chances but miss way too many

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    I’m not sure he’s blown his chances, but he looked like a laddie last night and highlighted exactly what we’re missing when MacLaren is injured, namely composure, good decision making and a clinical eye for goal. I agree about the hat-trick though. We should have been out of sight by full time.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    1 , The midfield isnt that lightweight after all

2 , Efe is class and Hyndman can play

3 , Aberdeen aint great

4 , Mallan is like Dylan McGeough with a better shot and Set Pieces

5 , We create alot of chances but miss way too many

Mallan did very well imo. I think there is more he can do when we don’t have the ball. He doesn’t have the positional and defensive nous of Dylan (but does carry much more of a goal threat).

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

I think he made it easy for them last night. Will be interesting how he reacts.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee62 View Post

I know Deeks was suffering back then but the post I replied to and yours suggests that Shaw, or the manager, didn't feel he was up to it mentally but perhaps he too was struggling fitness wise but got to a point where he felt he was still more able than the remaining players available to convert one.

Aye- Hibs career over🤨

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar

Yeah, those two offered absolutely nothing for them. Finished or just never started and it was mostly hype to begin with?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    The fact he still went for it, despite NOT fancying it in the first five and scored tells me more.