Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
I'm never sure what sectarianism is to be honest. This is where the whole thing gets stupid, as far as in aware neither the Fianna or the Fenians had any religious connections.

For that matter, I don't know if Neil Lennon actually is a Fenian. So, taking it further we have to go to the spirit of what was being sung

Was it to get at him/us for Irish reasons, it was it to fit a word I to the song ? For me it was the second, because although they may have sectarians in their support, they don't have any history of bigotry worth mentioning

I'd have been most annoyed that they were rubbing our noses in an undeserved defeat.

For me it's about intent, rather than the actual words. And I am not a cavalier, I'm a Roundhead.
Lennon is not one. But thats what makes it worse in my opinion.... you hit the nail on the head when you say intent though.
Their intent was to show hatred towards Lennon, but by picking those words (even though they are not true) it takes it from football banter into another realm.
Like i said, by dismissing the use of a sectarian slur as banter you trivialise it and go some way (even the smallest of percentages) toward making it acceptable to use... No one would accept the use of the N word to describe our manager if he were black, so why should we accept the use of Fenian?

So at the end of the day, they can rub our noses in it all they wish, that would have been annoying enough, but taking it up a notch to what many deem unacceptable is deplorable.