hibs.net Messageboard

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Hibs v Aberdeen

Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sometimes our strengths are not our strengths depending on who we are playing. Aberdeen knew we'd give them a right good go tonight and planned accordingly in order to deal with this. They implimented a strategy that is commonly used by Hearts in edinburgh derbies. I doubt Aberdeen would play this way against every team in the league, they'll change their game plan depending on who their opposition are to maximize their chances of getting a favourable result against them. Their plan was to frustrate us tonight and make our players feel nervy in front of goal and it worked.

We need to adapt as a club and implement multiple strategies. Having only one playing style just doesn't cut it in the modern game. We're the Arsenal of Scottish Football. Too stubborn to do things differently when the situation calls for it and ultimately falling short as a result.
    Aberdeen will play like that against every team in the top 6. They dont really have another game plan whenever ive seen them tbh(which isnt a lot i grant you). They sit in and hope to catch teams on the break. Its not about being stubborn....Lennon sets us up to have the best chance of winning surely? We created plenty chances so it worked....was just that the finishing was off. If the finishing is off im not sure how any tactics rectify that?? What could we have done differently tactically this eve to win the game?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Very disappointing result, could be an expensive defeat in terms of progressing and injuries too sadly. Lots of effort and industry but very (obviously) wasteful and Lennon cannot be happy with the chances not taken. We need a physical striker and we need one in now. Can't go a season with just three first team strikers I'm afraid, especially already into the season two have been (and now are) injured - and with three wide men we need a threat in the box from set pieces and crosses.

I have to say I was also a little unhappy none of the players went to console TA after his miss and left him hanging disconsolately whilst Aberdeen players celebrated around him........think it was big Marvin that went to him (and maybe Lewy) but surely the team could have rallied around him quicker. The fans were superb, even in defeat, take a bow too .

Milligan looks a real find have to say and Hyndman played really well. Aberdeen and McInnes know they won a raffle tonight but our lads only have themselves to blame and it's a really hard learning curve for the younger ones.

Sometimes our strengths are not our strengths depending on who we are playing. Aberdeen knew we'd give them a right good go tonight and planned accordingly in order to deal with this. They implimented a strategy that is commonly used by Hearts in edinburgh derbies. I doubt Aberdeen would play this way against every team in the league, they'll change their game plan depending on who their opposition are to maximize their chances of getting a favourable result against them. Their plan was to frustrate us tonight and make our players feel nervy in front of goal and it worked.

We need to adapt as a club and implement multiple strategies. Having only one playing style just doesn't cut it in the modern game. We're the Arsenal of Scottish Football. Too stubborn to do things differently when the situation calls for it and ultimately falling short as a result.
    Their strategy only worked because our finishing was shocking. If you can't score you don't deserve to win but they were extremely lucky to take the tie to penalties. We played superbly right up to the rather important part of the game which involves putting the ball in the net, but there was nowt wrong with our style of play!!

Thought Hibs looked really good for the most part, and some of the movement and passes into the runners were superb. Im delighted with how the team is rebuilding, on another night we score 2 or 3. Apart from the eventual result, that was about as entertaining as a 0-0 gets. Really enjoyed the performance from pretty much everyone.

Hope Flo didnt pick up an injury. I suppose our silverware will have to come from the other Cup then..

Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    I really enjoyed the game and I thought we played well. Lennon is right about the finishing. You’ve got to take some of those chances.

The refereeing was a disgrace. It’s laughable that in 120 minutes they only got three bookings. Some of the late professional fouls were the clearest bookings you’ll ever see. The one near the end by Shinnie on Agyepong especially. Keeper was also yards of his line for all six penalties.
    Shinnie got away with murder all night. He could have been sent off a few times for the yellows the ref chose not to dish out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Here, can anyone explain what the whole starting Lewis Allan against Livingston and never seeing the boy again was all about? Strange one
    Asked that earlier pre match?? Utterly bizarre...he's not been seen since despite the fact we had no striker on bench 2nite??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Their strategy only worked because our finishing was shocking. If you can't score you don't deserve to win but they were extremely lucky to take the tie to penalties. We played superbly right up to the rather important part of the game which involves putting the ball in the net, but there was nowt wrong with our style of play!!
    Agree. Their strategy was to contain us which they more or less failed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    Not sure any team in the SPL could cope with their main 2 strikers out, if that happens. The jambos were complaining on sat cos they had one striker out....and they signed about 50 in the summer. I cant remember the last 4th striker that did a job for us.....maybe lennon decided it would be a wasted wage as he wouldnt really play unless we had injuries, so put the cash towards Agyepong or Horgan or Milligan???
    I agree with u mate but surely we could have signed someone a bit more ready for regular 1st team action than Shaw...that's 2 games recently against the Dons he's looked a wee bit out his depth...and he's our 3rd choice striker??

We are heavily relying on both Flo and Jamie Mac and it's looking like we are gonna have played a whole round of fixtures without being able to start them both in same team. Bad luck yes but it's the weakest part of our squad where we don't have adequate cover imo.

We were great tonight and should have easily won that match...finishing cost us and not having a striker to bring in when Flo was clearly done in .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Very disappointing result, could be an expensive defeat in terms of progressing and injuries too sadly. Lots of effort and industry but very (obviously) wasteful and Lennon cannot be happy with the chances not taken. We need a physical striker and we need one in now. Can't go a season with just three first team strikers I'm afraid, especially already into the season two have been (and now are) injured - and with three wide men we need a threat in the box from set pieces and crosses.

I have to say I was also a little unhappy none of the players went to console TA after his miss and left him hanging disconsolately whilst Aberdeen players celebrated around him........think it was big Marvin that went to him (and maybe Lewy) but surely the team could have rallied around him quicker. The fans were superb, even in defeat, take a bow too .

Milligan looks a real find have to say and Hyndman played really well. Aberdeen and McInnes know they won a raffle tonight but our lads only have themselves to blame and it's a really hard learning curve for the younger ones.
    Lewis was the first one to get to TA to console him, the rest of the team followed pretty quickly

I am no phychologist but a team that dominated a game for 120 minutes is going to be a tad deflated having to go into penalties while a team that survived being under the screw for 120 minutes would be delighted to reach penalties.

Hibs needed to win in regular time.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Lewis was the first one to get to TA to console him, the rest of the team followed pretty quickly
    I saw Lewis and Marv but I think the team could have got to him a lot quicker HG........hate seeing a lad left hanging like that. Maybe me being a wee bit fickle right enough but it felt like he was left standing there for a while.

The lack of Horgan was odd. Boyle was miles off it tonight. Massively surprised he played the whole game.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Not at all. We were going to lose again at home sooner or later and it turned out to be tonight. But that still doesn't mean that questions shouldn't be raised on where we fell short and what we can do better to minimize these outcomes. It's the only way to get better.
    Apart from finishing better, what else could we have done to win that game last night?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Apart from finishing better, what else could we have done to win that game last night?
    That is a pretty important thing to be fair.

I’ll also say poor decision making cost us as well though. Players took the the wrong option on more than one occasion when we opened them up.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I spent a lot of the game watching Flo's off the ball movement. The boy is a joy to watch, drawing his marker away from danger areas and then at the critical moment a quick dash into those danger areas leaving his marker stranded.

If his teammates learn to anticipate his runs and he stays fit he'll score bags of goals for us.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I spent a lot of the game watching Flo's off the ball movement. The boy is a joy to watch, drawing his marker away from danger areas and then at the critical moment a quick dash into those danger areas leaving his marker stranded.

If his teammates learn to anticipate his runs and he stays fit he'll score bags of goals for us.
    You're dead right, he brings so much more to the side than just scoring goals. I love how at various points in a game he will hold the ball up, look like he is getting into difficulty, get swamped by the two or three defenders he draws to himself and then slip a release ball once their attention has opened up space. His work rate when we don't have possession is exemplary too.

Gamer IDs

I think that is a terrible take on last night and the worst thing we could have done or that we should take from the game's outcome would be the notion that we should have played differently. Lennon's tactics were spot-on and the only thing we need to change was to have any one of the goal opportunities be taken. Nine times out of ten we would win that game comfortably making all those chances, regardless of the opposition.

Whether people like it or not this was always going to be a team in transition following the huge turmoil of the loss of McGinn, McGoogle, Scott Allan and Barker from last season - that was a midfield that would would be a hell of a unit in any other team in Scotland and in many leagues beyond. The fact that we have replaced them and are already looking this good so quickly speaks volumes for the quality of players we have signed, the astuteness of Lennon's tactics and team set up and the spirit of the squad.

I don't have an ounce of disappointment about last night. The same outcome in the Scottish Cup later in the season would be a different story but I expect us to be motoring powerfully by then, as I think we are already beginning to do in fact.

An unexpected bonus has been Bogdan. He's really looking the part and having serious competition between him and Rocky for the No 1 jersey is another big step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post

That's another reason not gettin SA back is a huge loss

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I think that is a terrible take on last night and the worst thing we could have done or that we should take from the game's outcome would be the notion that we should have played differently. Lennon's tactics were spot-on and the only thing we need to change was to have any one of the goal opportunities be taken. Nine times out of ten we would win that game comfortably making all those chances, regardless of the opposition.

Whether people like it or not this was always going to be a team in transition following the huge turmoil of the loss of McGinn, McGoogle, Scott Allan and Barker from last season - that was a midfield that would would be a hell of a unit in any other team in Scotland and in many leagues beyond. The fact that we have replaced them and are already looking this good so quickly speaks volumes for the quality of players we have signed, the astuteness of Lennon's tactics and team set up and the spirit of the squad.

I don't have an ounce of disappointment about last night. The same outcome in the Scottish Cup later in the season would be a different story but I expect us to be motoring powerfully by then, as I think we are already beginning to do in fact.

An unexpected bonus has been Bogdan. He's really looking the part and having serious competition between him and Rocky for the No 1 jersey is another big step forward.
    The new players have already made me forget all about McGoogle to be fair

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Our overall decision making in the final 3rd was poor. Other top 6 sides would have destroyed Aberdeen last night as they would have been far more clinical. Fans dribbling on about how beautiful our play was is utterly irrelevant. The number one priority is to win the game and we didn't do that. Sometimes you just have to force the ball over the line, regardless of how ugly it looks. We tend not to do that too much.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by FitbaFolkKen View Post
    The new players have already made me forget all about McGoogle to be fair
    Aye, McGiggity was good but the new guys are already fitting in well in a very short period of time. And their surnames are much simpler. Giggity.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Aye, McGiggity was good but the new guys are already fitting in well in a very short period of time. And their surnames are much simpler. Giggity.
    Yeah, no way you can get Mellon’s name wrong!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    Yeah, no way you can get Mellon’s name wrong!
    I won't tolerate any criticism of Muldoon.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

We played 433 on Saturday and changed it for last night. We change shape and formation during games and have done frequently under Lennon.

Aberdeen's strategy failed last night, IMHO - hoping to go through on penalty kicks isn't a sustainable approach, and their defence was not good last night. I would say their defence was good if our 20-odd shots had been half-chances, or long range efforts when nothing else was on, but we're talking about a game where we missed several sitters, had the ball in the net twice, and carved them open time and time again.

I know the old 'if your auntie had baws she'd be your uncle' line, but if we had our shooting boots on last night, Aberdeen could have easily shipped four goals from the clearest of our chances that we created. That is not an example of good defending.

They didn't plan to make our players nervy in front of goal, we made bad decisions or executed good decisions badly. That (IMHO) wasn't down to a tactic deployed by Aberdeen.

Aberdeen went through on the finest of margins, a penalty hitting the underside of the bar and bouncing the wrong side of the line (for us), you're talking millimeters here. They're in the next round and with cup games that's all that matters, but they're not there because of an effective strategy or good defending or any of that, they're there because when it mattered we let them off the hook.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Our overall decision making in the final 3rd was poor. Other top 6 sides would have destroyed Aberdeen last night as they would have been far more clinical. Fans dribbling on about how beautiful our play was is utterly irrelevant. The number one priority is to win the game and we didn't do that. Sometimes you just have to force the ball over the line, regardless of how ugly it looks. We tend not to do that too much.
    Sorry, not picking on your posts but this post - really??

Last night was the first time since we lost to Rangers at the turn of the year where we've totally dominated but failed to score the goals to take something from the game.

We've scored tons of goals - said it already on this thread, but we put five past Rangers not so long ago, a week after putting five past Killie. We scored three in each of our two games leading into this game and have only scored fewer than two goals domestically at Easter Road 2 or 3 times this year.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Which other top 6 club would have opened them up and created as many chances as we did, and i include both bigots here?

And as for the rest of your drivel, over the last calendar year we are top of the league in points won, couple that with how many points we won in the division below, and i'd say we force the ball over the line a lot more than you give this team credit.

We missed a lot of chances last night, apparently if we had another experienced player on the books, that would have made all the difference, someone like big dave or eh no i cant think of anyone we've signed in years who would have been our 4th experienced centre forward?

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    I thought boyle struggled a bit last night.Possibly still feeling effects from injury on saturday

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Match is currently being repeated on BT1, 15 minutes in, still 0-0

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Match is currently being repeated on BT1, 15 minutes in, still 0-0
    I really hope we show more commitment tonight than last night...