hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slivka

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your description reminds me of Mike Basset England manager.

Haha
    I can see what Lennon is trying to achieve and with the right players it is a very flexible system, the main thing is the players have to work hard and put in a shift, we can't afford any slackers, when it's done right it's very good to watch.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I’m baffled at you being baffled.

If the penny is still to drop with some of us then surely we must be waiting on it dropping for Neil Lennon as well seen as Slivka has spent more time on the bench than in the team?

He settled and did well after the first 15-20 minutes yesterday. He needs to kick on now. He clearly has a bit quality but he has miles to go before he can be considered a ‘superb’ Hibs player.

Ridiculous extremes as usual, it seems he is either ‘never good enough’ or a ‘superb player’.

As usual the truth is somewhere in between. I think Slivka could be a very important player for us, and I think we should be patient and give him a run to see how he can develop... but the fact is that he hasn’t done that much in a Hibs shirt yet.

I'm unsure what people want or expect from slivka in all honesty. Last season he wasn't given a decent run in the side and was chucked in for big games out the blue on a few occasions and he mostly performed well. He's not overly fast and not overly aggressive in his play but he is neat and tidy and has a bit of skill about him. People were saying mallan would benefit from having a proper defensive mid in Milligan behind him maybe it's the same for slivka?

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Probably the inverted xmas tree shape, Milligan at the base , Mallan and Slivka ahead, Horgan and Boyle slightly further up on either wing with Kamberi on his own. This shape is very adaptable and can go from 4-5-1/4-1-4-1/4-3-3 throughout the game, Liverpool, Man City play it with great effect.
    Every year it gets earlier and earlier Christmas that is. It's only the 23rd of Sept. Three months of Christmas this, Christmas that, fed up with it already. Please edit your post and replace Xmas tree with cone shape... Bah Humbug!
    Last edited by Inconsequential; 23-09-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Slicks was signed as Dylans replacement. He was never going to feature much last season while Dylan was still here. He has the skill and the talent he just needs regular game time in the right role to get his confidence to the required level.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    Slicks was signed as Dylans replacement. He was never going to feature much last season while Dylan was still here. He has the skill and the talent he just needs regular game time in the right role to get his confidence to the required level.
    He's nothing like Dylan , either in style or ability.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    I'm unsure what people want or expect from slivka in all honesty. Last season he wasn't given a decent run in the side and was chucked in for big games out the blue on a few occasions and he mostly performed well. He's not overly fast and not overly aggressive in his play but he is neat and tidy and has a bit of skill about him. People were saying mallan would benefit from having a proper defensive mid in Milligan behind him maybe it's the same for slivka?
    Think this is fairly accurate for me, probably needs a run but questionable if he does enough in cameo appearances to justify. Would love him to succeed but do not think he is dynamic enough.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Bit harsh on him. He can do that stuff too but I feel he's shown his best skills when he's in and around opposition penalty areas.

Felt he had a cracking game yesterday. Was very important to how we played.
    The important thing is we need someone who can do the catching and ferrying. That takes skill but more importantly technical competence. The art of taking a pass, taking a touch and then moving it on positively is subtle but crucial. We are not good at recognising it in the Scottish game but Dylan had it and I think Slivka does too
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post

If anything, a replacement for SJM no?

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    The important thing is we need someone who can do the catching and ferrying. That takes skill but more importantly technical competence. The art of taking a pass, taking a touch and then moving it on positively is subtle but crucial. We are not good at recognising it in the Scottish game but Dylan had it and I think Slivka does too

Not sure he’s that sort of player at all and I think you will be disappointed if that’s what you are expecting.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    He's nothing like Dylan , either in style or ability.
    I think this is his problem - not that he’s not like Dylan, just that no-one seems to know where he should be playing. Technically Slivka is great: he’s skilful, especially for someone of his stature, and his distribution is superb. There just seems to be a ton of indecision about what his position is. I also think he needs to be more ambitious with his passing, and attempt more defence-splitting passes (which he’s clearly capable of).

Don’t think I’ve ever wanted someone to succeed as much as I do Slivka.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Not sure he’s that sort of player at all and I think you will be disappointed if that’s what you are expecting.
    Think we see him as a link player,

What are you expecting?
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Lithuanian EDG

First Team Breakthrough
    I like Slivka but. I think he needs to be more physically assertive in games and not be afraid to put himself about. For someone who’s about 6’4” and built like Ivan Drago he couldn’t tackle a fish supper.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskas View Post
    I like Slivka but. I think he needs to be more physically assertive in games and not be afraid to put himself about. For someone who’s about 6’4” and built like Ivan Drago he couldn’t tackle a fish supper.
    Maybe you’re right. On a similar note, Marvin Bartley and Daz McG really need to start spraying 50 yard passes all over the pitch. They’ve got feet so what’s the problem? They play like they’re wearing steel toecaps.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    Maybe you’re right. On a similar note, Marvin Bartley and Daz McG really need to start spraying 50 yard passes all over the pitch. They’ve got feet so what’s the problem? They play like they’re wearing steel toecaps.
    The difference is that Slivka’s still relatively young, has a bit of skill about him and it’s easier for him to adapt/improve his game. And Bartley is actually a better footballer than he’s given credit for IMO (though he does suffer from nosebleeds in the final third!)
    We’ve got a gap in our midfield, it’s up to him to play his way into it on the training pitch and on the park.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_F View Post
    Lithuanian EDG
    Well taken winning goals against both of the OF would suggest otherwise friend.

Lithuanian EDG
    Totally respect your opinion except for the fact its absolute nonsense.

Slivka is enigmatic but you know what? He’s a young guy adapting to a totally new culture and style of football. He’s doing ok and has made decent contributions. At worst he’s been a good squad player whilst here, at best I think he could be very good.

Lithuanian EDG

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeDaz6270 View Post
    Sorry but that is nonsense .

We are a better side with him in at . If you watch him closely he is a step ahead of others at times
    LOL if he is a step ahead slow down He has proved to be okay so far and never ever a step ahead of anybody in fact he always arrives late for tackle and just never makes one.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    Your post is sound apart from your opening words (in bold)
    No need for this.
    Sorry, LL, but that's funny.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Sorry, LL, but that's funny.
    I like to inject a bit of humour

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Lithuanian EDG
    Aye, if you ignore his height, age, athleticism and ability they're pretty similar. Good shout.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Lithuanian EDG
    Laughable comparison

It was always going to be hard getting like for like for McGinn and McGeouch, Slivka seems to have a bit of both players about him. Technically very good, gets space to receive and give a pass, quick thinking, good feet and capable of making runs into the box like we seen yesterday when his shot hit the bar, having Milligan there will only help him and Mallan get that space and freedom to create.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    It was always going to be hard getting like for like for McGinn and McGeouch, Slivka seems to have a bit of both players about him. Technically very good, gets space to receive and give a pass, quick thinking, good feet and capable of making runs into the box like we seen yesterday when his shot hit the bar, having Milligan there will only help him and Mallan get that space and freedom to create.
    Good post and I agree that someone like Milligan next to him is an ideal foil - time and time again yesterday Milligan won possession and his outball was Slivka who was then able to get forward and use the width of the pitch with his passing. If you watch the whole game back it's also clear to see he has a good engine on him as more often than not when he started attacks by playing a pass out wide, he got into the box with Flo.

I saw folk accusing me of hyperbole when I said he was/is a superb player but it's subjective at the end of the day and we all have our opinions on players. I think Slivka is a superb player and needs a run of games in a balanced midfield - which he has not had due to having the likes of SJM and Dylan ahead of him. I hope he continues to shine this season.

Last season's 3-5-2 worked so well because we had the perfect 3 in midfield, we didn't need a DM because the spare CB was able to step up at times to cover. With the midfielders we have now it seems like Lennon is trying to change to having a DM in Milligan, playing a 4-5-1/4-3-3. Which means you don't necessarily need direct replacements for McGeouch or McGinn.

IMHO, from what I've seen, our best 3 in midfield currently is Milligan, Slivka and Mallan. I like Slivka, he's not a direct replacement for McGinn or McGeouch, but he doesn't have to be in this formation. Hopefully he can get a run of games and show his qualities.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Lithuanian EDG