hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tomorrow's referee

Andrew Dallas one of the very worst in the country.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Andrew Dallas the worst in the country.
    There, fixed that for you.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    He is one of my most hated referees

He makes so many baffling decisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the weekly ref bashing threads. If we play well and put the ball in the net a few times it won't matter how bad the ref is.

They’re all s*** but his manner is shocking.

He constantly stands and shouts at players instead of talking to them like a normal person. Last week when he sent Ntcham off in the Celtic game he even gave him a wee push in the back to tell him to get on his way!

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    I love the weekly ref bashing threads. If we play well and put the ball in the net a few times it won't matter how bad the ref is.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    We should still be able to comfortably see off Dundee even if Wallace Mercer was refereeing and Gary Mackay and Rudi Skacel were running the line.

@hibs.net private member
    It may not matter to us how bad the ref is if we win, but if the officials have another poor performance it still needs highlighted, regardless of the result.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    It may not matter to us how bad the ref is if we win, but if the officials have another poor performance it still needs highlighted, regardless of the result.
    Fair enough - but we fans rarely recall the bad decisions that help our team - we always remember the ones that go against us though ... referees are what they are ..the biggest factor that will influence our results over the season will be our performances - not refereeing decisions ..

Left by mutual consent!
    Generally speaking. Unless he sends one of our players off for next to nothing early on. Then we have a problem.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Exactly.

Obviously this doesn't apply to anyone on here, apart from undercover yams, but half of the fans don't know the laws of the game. In fact, half of the commentators and pundits don't understand them either.

Here's a regular scenario;

Ref X makes a controversial decision against team A. Team A fans think it's a shocker and howl abuse and protest. A 50/50 decision goes against the same team. Louder howls of derision and from then on, in the eyes of team A fans, ref X can do nothing right.

"Ref X is nightmare. He's incompetent. He's corrupt".

TV highlights subsequently show that the refs initial decision was correct.

Next time team A is allocated ref X, "Oh no, he's the worst ever" etc etc. The original, but erroneous, criticism, is never reviewed and withdrawn, even if it was proven to be misplaced.

Of course referees get decisions wrong, who doesn't? I read an article which said that referees make about 250 decisions in a game. Not all are difficult decisions, but many are made under pressure from the players, managers and the fans. Despite that, they get the vast majority correct, over 95% iirc.

I predict that Dallas will have an "unusually good game", if we win tomorrow.

If we lose, he's being paid by Sevco.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Exactly.

Obviously this doesn't apply to anyone on here, apart from undercover yams, but half of the fans don't know the laws of the game. In fact, half of the commentators and pundits don't understand them either.

Here's a regular scenario;

Ref X makes a controversial decision against team A. Team A fans think it's a shocker and howl abuse and protest. A 50/50 decision goes against the same team. Louder howls of derision and from then on, in the eyes of team A fans, ref X can do nothing right.

"Ref X is nightmare. He's incompetent. He's corrupt".

TV highlights subsequently show that the refs initial decision was correct.

Next time team A is allocated ref X, "Oh no, he's the worst ever" etc etc. The original, but erroneous, criticism, is never reviewed and withdrawn, even if it was proven to be misplaced.

Of course referees get decisions wrong, who doesn't? I read an article which said that referees make about 250 decisions in a game. Not all are difficult decisions, but many are made under pressure from the players, managers and the fans. Despite that, they get the vast majority correct, over 95% iirc.

I predict that Dallas will have an "unusually good game", if we win tomorrow.

If we lose, he's being paid by Sevco.
    I agree with much of that but some of the decisions against Hibs over the last few years and more have been baffling even after that review and there were very few in the plus column. I actually think we have had the rub of the green this season and I can't recall thinking that in 40 years of watching Hibs outwith a season or two when we had Gareth Evans in our team. We have always played too fair to get a good deal from refs but are starting to mix it up a bit which means it is evening out.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I agree with much of that but some of the decisions against Hibs over the last few years and more have been baffling even after that review and there were very few in the plus column. I actually think we have had the rub of the green this season and I can't recall thinking that in 40 years of watching Hibs outwith a season or two when we had Gareth Evans in our team. We have always played too fair to get a good deal from refs but are starting to mix it up a bit which means it is evening out.
    Every team in the league thinks that. Sevco just said everyone is against them. Celtc had a ref followed because they thought he was a mason.

Anyway, here's the article I mentioned. It transpires it's 98% accuracy, not 95%,

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ials-get-right
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Every team in the league thinks that. Sevco just said everyone is against them. Celtc had a ref followed because they thought he was a mason.

Anyway, here's the article I mentioned. It transpires it's 98% accuracy, not 95%,

Celtic had a referee followed?

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Aye, only because they were all thinking of joining his lodge but they wanted to see which one it was first.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Sorry, Celtc supporters.

@hibs.net private member
    No referee is going to get all of the decision right and I don't think anyone really expects that, however ability to manage the game and apply some sort of consistency are basics that we should be able to expect and Dallas seems to be able to do neither.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    No referee is going to get all of the decision right and I don't think anyone really expects that, however ability to manage the game and apply some sort of consistency are basics that we should be able to expect and Dallas seems to be able to do neither.
    He is also guilty of interrupting the flow of the match which can ruin the game.

Unless i've just misread that your article refers to the accuracy of referees' decisions in the English Premier League. We have no idea what percentage of decisions are correct in our Premiership.

I'd doubt very much it'd be anywhere near 98% correct in our league. On the main our referees are diabolical.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I know someone who knows Andrew Dallas, he apparently a big fan of Neil Lennon. They get on very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Unless i've just misread that your article refers to the accuracy of referees' decisions in the English Premier League. We have no idea what percentage of decisions are correct in our Premiership.

I'd doubt very much it'd be anywhere near 98% correct in our league. On the main our referees are diabolical.
    On the main?

You think they get most things wrong?

I don't. They make the occasional mistake, maybe more than their English counterparts but I haven't seen any stats to support that perception.

Referees make a decision we don't like and we scream at them, regardless if they're actually correct or not.

Then, when they inevitably do make an error, it reinforces our perception that they're incompetent or cheating.

If you watch a game that doesn't involve Hibs, you'll see the odd mistake, but the overall perception of his performance is never as bad as when Hibs are involved.

I wouldn't be a referee even if they put a zero at the end of the fee.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 21-09-2018 at 12:03 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    The thing about decisions is that a referee will only have 2 or 3 real decisions in a game. The majority of decisions are straight forward. Who’s throw/bye kick or corner was it? Did the ball cross the line? Straight forward fouls.

To me that will create a very high percentage of the decisions. It is the 2 or 3 real decisions and consistency that makes a good referee. Far too many of Scottish don’t get these right. Statistics,damned lies and statistics eh!

By the way I wouldn’t like to be a referee myself. It is a thankless job as many decisions are subjective

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Fair enough - but we fans rarely recall the bad decisions that help our team - we always remember the ones that go against us though ... referees are what they are ..the biggest factor that will influence our results over the season will be our performances - not refereeing decisions ..
    Why should we highlight bad decisions in our favour? Surely these will be covered on our opponent's forums as being against them. You would only need to amalgamate all comments about refereeing performances to prove that no Scottish referee has ever got a decision right.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Hibs 0-0 Hearts March 2013

Hearts 0-0 Hibs December 2017

Two games where we literally put the ball in the net but didn’t win because of bad refereeing.

Who would be a ref? At least one set of fans will be pissed off at you every week, players screaming in your face, every minor detail scrutinised with your credibility and intentions being questioned and so on. With social media etc it must be worse than ever. Not worth the hassle in my opinion. I can't see it being enjoyable. I'm sure they'll pick up a decent cheque but it wouldn't be for me.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    Hibs 0-0 Hearts March 2013

Hearts 0-0 Hibs December 2017

Two games where we literally put the ball in the net but didn’t win because of bad refereeing.
    You don't know the meaning of literally do you?

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    We should still be able to comfortably see off Dundee even if Wallace Mercer was refereeing and Gary Mackay and Rudi Skacel were running the line.
    I’d most likely explode if that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    It is the 2 or 3 real decisions and consistency that makes a good referee. Far too many of Scottish don’t get these right.
    We don't remember the decisions that they get right.

Occasionally, and usually if a controversial decision has gone our way, you might see a post expressing surprise that the ref had good game.

Ive never seen a thread discussing all the correct decisions a referee made, and I never will.

You might argue that their job is to get things right, but not acknowledging that they usually do, is unfair and leaves them in a no win situation.

I guarantee you that referees in every country in the world have the same experience. The idea that bringing refs from abroad would solve the problems is fanciful, and it won't be unique to Scotland.

In my view, the referees are generally fine. I've been annoyed a couple of times about decisions that weren't given, Colin Campbell in 1979 is the one that rankles me most, and the disallowed Griffith's free kick against Hertz was ridiculous, but I've really only been enraged about an overall performance once. Falkirk at ER.

@hibs.net private member
    We don't remember the decisions that they get right.

Occasionally, and usually if a controversial decision has gone our way, you might see a post expressing surprise that the ref had good game.

Ive never seen a thread discussing all the correct decisions a referee made, and I never will.

You might argue that their job is to get things right, but not acknowledging that they usually do, is unfair and leaves them in a no win situation.

I guarantee you that referees in every country in the world have the same experience. The idea that bringing refs from abroad would solve the problems is fanciful, and it won't be unique to Scotland.

In my view, the referees are generally fine. I've been annoyed a couple of times about decisions that weren't given, Colin Campbell in 1979 is the one that rankles me most, and the disallowed Griffith's free kick against Hertz was ridiculous, but I've really only been enraged about an overall performance once. Falkirk at ER.
    This ...about sums up my view

Andrew Dallas is by no means the worst ref in Scotland. He was pretty fair in his early game with us at Easter Road this season and its not just the ref you have to judge but his assistants too. the Ref team consists of 4 and often the presence of an experienced 4th helps. In Dallas' case this season I believe Bobby Madden has filled that role on a number of occassions and anyone who sent Potter and the Caveman off is ok in my book.

As has been commented on here earlier refs get pelters from folk who simply do not understand the current laws of the game, especially the off-side law and the supposed last man rule.

Our refs ain't perfect but I don't want to go down the line of importing foreign refs, like that Maltese prat we got during the strike, who won't even let you look at an opposition player in a bad tone of voice never mind tackle them.