hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

"All episodes available now"

This viewing option seems to be more and more prevalent.

As I mentioned on the box sets thread, I started watching Killing Eve last night. It's a brand new drama (I was going to call it a series, but is it?) and every episode is already available.

It's indicative of how people's viewing habits have changed, and their need for instant gratification.

I used to enjoy looking forward to the next episode of a favourite show, be Cracker, Blackadder, Taggart or Monty Python on a school night.

Everyone watched those shows and talked about them at work or school the next day.

Remember the frenzy around"Who shot JR"?

Although there are still several weekly TV programmes like soaps and comedies in particular, I think weekly dramas are going to be the exception rather than the norm.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

As I mentioned on the box sets thread, I started watching Killing Eve last night. It's a brand new drama (I was going to call it a series, but is it?) and every episode is already available.

It's indicative of how people's viewing habits have changed, and their need for instant gratification.

I used to enjoy looking forward to the next episode of a favourite show, be Cracker, Blackadder, Taggart or Monty Python on a school night.

Everyone watched those shows and talked about them at work or school the next day.

Although there are still several weekly TV programmes like soaps and comedies in particular, I think weekly dramas are going to be the exception rather than the norm.
    I quite like the weekly wait for some shows but the wait can be ridiculous at times. I watch Designated Survivor on Netflix - season 2 finished in May and they reckon season 3 will be out around May 19. I’ll have forgotten what was even going on by then.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

I never watch shows weekly now, I wait until it’s finished then binge watch them. I hate the weekly wait. The more shows released as a block the better for me.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar

Did you possess a time-machine when you were a youth Mr R?

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Did you possess a time-machine when you were a youth Mr R?
    I don't understand your point.

I loved Cracker and looked forward to every episode.

Nowadays, they might make every episode available at the same time.

Edit: I see what's happened. I should have used an Oxford comma after Taggart, although the phrase is still used by adults to mean during the week. e.g. I never drinke on a school night.

So giruy!
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 20-09-2018 at 03:28 PM.

e.g. I never drinke on a school night.
    Now that's a contender for the pet peeve list,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Now that's a contender for the pet peeve list,,,,
    As could be wrongly written ellipses ...

A good example right now is The Bodyguard. Having to wait weekly for it is creating a fuss. There'd be much less chat if you could binge.

Incidentally Netflix have just bought the rights to it.

As could be wrongly written ellipses ...
    Is that like an oval ellipsis,,,,
    Joking aside, I habitually use ,,,, as ,=a 2 second pause in my line of work (Telecoms) so ,,,, is just a long pause for me.

Does this mean the end for the water-cooler moment?