hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyle

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'd be a bit gutted if he chose Australia. I don't think he's too far away from a Scotland cap, especially if he has another season of improvement.

We ain't exactly blessed with rapid wingers.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Maybe Lennon should tell a press conference that McLeish should cap Boyle or lose him, similar to what Dr Football did when Souttar was greetin about not getting a full cap?

Seemed to work for that fanny

If I'm being honest and removing the green tinted specs Boyle shouldn't be near the Scotland team. End product lets him down.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe Lennon should tell a press conference that McLeish should cap Boyle or lose him, similar to what Dr Football did when Souttar was greetin about not getting a full cap?

Seemed to work for that fanny

And at the same time pushed Hanlon further away from getting capped.

You have to wonder how 2 centre backs from a team that finished 6th get called up and capped whilst another who finished 4th, is a fair few years younger than one of those two and has a lot more experience and history of high level play than the other, can’t get a look in.
    Last edited by McD; 20-09-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Would be delighted for him if he got a cap.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    And at the same time pushed Hanson further away from getting capped.

You have to wonder how 2 centre backs from a team that finished 6th get called up and capped whilst another who finished 4th, is a fair few years younger than one of those two and has a lot more experience and history of high level play than the other, can’t get a look in.

mmmbop

Does that mean we have to drop the Squirel and call him Kanga?

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Don't really care either way if I'm honest. Be delighted for Boyle on a personal level if he gets international honours, but from an entirely selfish, Hibs-centric point of view, I'd rather he didn't have all of the travel involved in playing for Oz, and the additional games and injury risk.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Don't really care either way if I'm honest. Be delighted for Boyle on a personal level if he gets international honours, but from an entirely selfish, Hibs-centric point of view, I'd rather he didn't have all of the travel involved in playing for Oz, and the additional games and injury risk.
    With Boyle, Milligan and McLaren all away in January it potentially means we can get games cancelled rather than missing two vital players for 6 games. Would mean a fixture pile up right enough

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steelendhibs View Post
    With Boyle, Milligan and McLaren all away in January it potentially means we can get games cancelled rather than missing two vital players for 6 games. Would mean a fixture pile up right enough
    Thankfully we have our winter break that covers three weeks of the four that the Asian Cup necessitates.

Given how long it has taken Maclaren and Milligan to get involved/up to speed from the WC in the summer, it may actually suit us for them to keep playing during January (in warmer conditions too).

Coaching Staff
    Boyle will be Australia’s gain and Scotland’s loss.

Unfortunately, these words were not uttered when I emigrated...☹️

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    I think we really need to take off the green tinted glasses. Boyle is good for hibs but there are other Scottish wingers that are far superior to Boyle. Now I rate Boyle highly but you’re not sitting there and telling me he’s better than Ryan Fraser, Oli Burke, Matt Phillips or James Forrest. They are all better wingers than Boyle. Now again I love Boyle for hibs but he is not better than them so he’d be at least 5 choice right winger.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    I think we really need to take off the green tinted glasses. Boyle is good for hibs but there are other Scottish wingers that are far superior to Boyle. Now I rate Boyle highly but you’re not sitting there and telling me he’s better than Ryan Fraser, Oli Burke, Matt Phillips or James Forrest. They are all better wingers than Boyle. Now again I love Boyle for hibs but he is not better than them so he’d be at least 5 choice right winger.
    This sums it up for me ...

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    If I'm being honest and removing the green tinted specs Boyle shouldn't be near the Scotland team. End product lets him down.
    Which wingers have Scotland had that had a better "end product"?

It's not just about crosses and shots, particularly at international level. It's about territory, outballs to take pressure of the defence and or put the team on the offence.

I know he's not world class, but have we got so many better in that position that we can write Boyler off?

Edit: Reading the post above, I agree he's up against stiff opposition.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 20-09-2018 at 10:56 AM.

With the exception of the real minnows every country will have a group of good players who never receive an international cap.

Trying to be neutral it's hard to make a case for Boyle being in the Scotland squad ahead of at least 2 or 3 others who play a similar position. Likewise with someone like Stevenson, good on him for getting a cap, but with the options we have at left back if there is a fully fit pool to pick from then he'll be struggling to add to it.

If the opportunity is there for Boyle to play for Australia then he should grab it with both hands.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Considering Australia have been at four consecutive World Cups they must rate Boyle pretty highly and you could argue it's a bigger deal than getting a Scotland call-up.

Pleased for Boyle. He's been an outstanding signing bearing in mind his career looked to be going nowhere in particular when Stubbs brought him in.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    mmmbop

Another international in the squad 😳😉

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong I like Boyle, decent player and pace causes a lot of problems but no where near international class player. Good on him though if he does get a call up.

Martin's father was born in Australia, so there's a fairly strong connection there, it's understandable he's be receptive to playing for them.

Coaching Staff
    Agree

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Thankfully we have our winter break that covers three weeks of the four that the Asian Cup necessitates.

Given how long it has taken Maclaren and Milligan to get involved/up to speed from the WC in the summer, it may actually suit us for them to keep playing during January (in warmer conditions too).
    The tournament starts 6 days after the hearts game on 31 December, which means if Australia invoke the 7 day rule that would rule them out of that. If Australia get to the final they could miss games right up until and including the 1st week in February. I am pretty sure we can get games cancelled if 3 squad members are away on international duty

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    Boyle has improved hugely while at Hibs so at 25 could still do a job at some point in the future.

Even now I think his pace would be a threat off the bench.

Be great for Boyle to get a call up by the Aussies. He's no chance of getting a Scotland cap.

First Team Regular Sproule Three's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Boyle will be Australia’s gain and Scotland’s loss.

Unfortunately, these words were not uttered when I emigrated...☹️
    Aye they were - but in a slightly different order .

I'm trying to work out how Boyle isn't good enough for Scotland who haven't qualified for a major since 1998 but he is good enough for an Australian team who just competed in one. Is that a bit like the MLS is s**** and every top club in Scotland would win the MLS at a canter sort of thing?

I love Boyle, love his runs and lament his finishing shots but still love him. If I was a Scotland manager, and squirrel chapped ma door, eh boss any chance o' me playing for Scotland soon? I'd have to say...…...rack off ya dobber.

Boyle is definately what scotland needs!! A player willing to take guys on and draw a foul from panicking defenders,that run johnny russell made in the albania game boyle would do that for us for near on 90mins if hes given the ball,I hope australia caps him and he does wonders for them top guy,if the aussies can see his worth it worries me that decent talent in our game is so easily overlooked,im no saying hed b on it all the time but hes a very good outball when you have a team who look like they dont know what to do with the ball most of the time,like scotland!!
    Last edited by tonyrougier123; 21-09-2018 at 01:44 AM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I'm trying to work out how Boyle isn't good enough for Scotland who haven't qualified for a major since 1998 but he is good enough for an Australian team who just competed in one. Is that a bit like the MLS is s**** and every top club in Scotland would win the MLS at a canter sort of thing?
    Well if Scotland's qualifying group for the World Cup included teams like Syria, China, Sri Lanka etc, I'd certainly fancy our chances of getting to most World Cups.