hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam89 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, you're right. I initially read your post as a bit harsher than I think it is, thought you were already imagining him in a retirement home.

I've supported, and defended, Lewis Stevenson for his entire Hibs career, and I hope he can continue at this level for years to come. He may do that, but Hibs have to plan for a different scenario.

Sure, Milner is still doing well, but he's the exception to the rule. There's a lot of very fit footballers out there who didn't have his longevity.

As soon as a player loses half a yard of pace, if they can't adapt into a more central defensive role, their days are numbered, so to speak.

Long live the king. Prepare the next one.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Lewis is Not near finished and will continue to be Hibs left back for the foreseeable future
    Will all the doom merchants get off his case
    PS
    Remember he played for Scotland in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by maturehibby View Post
    Lewis is Not near finished and will continue to be Hibs left back for the foreseeable future
    PS
    Are you saying Neil Lennon is a doom merchant? After all, he's the one who has recruited Nelom.

No-one is "on his case". There's just some understandable conversation about how long he'll be able to perform at his current level, sparked by the likely signing of a younger left back.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

I've supported, and defended, Lewis Stevenson for his entire Hibs career, and I hope he can continue at this level for years to come. He may do that, but Hibs have to plan for a different scenario.

Sure, Milner is still doing well, but he's the exception to the rule. There's a lot of very fit footballers out there who didn't have his longevity.

As soon as a player loses half a yard of pace, if they can't adapt into a more central defensive role, their days are numbered, so to speak.

Long live the king. Prepare the next one.
    We've also been asking a hell of a lot of Lewis the last couple of years. If he was a centre half, sweeper or even a holding midfielder then i imagine it would be a lot easier for his career to be prolonged well into his 30's but for him to have played the number of games he has in a wing back position is bound to take its toll at some time.

FWIW i never rated him as a midfielder and he took me a while to win me over as a wing back but he certainly has now. There have been times I've felt we could do with a wing back that was better going forward however defensively he's always been excellent. If we are going to be playing with wing backs maybe Lennon has decided he would rather have his wing back better going forward as there'll be enough cover defensively from the left sided centre half.

It's Lewis's shirt to lose though so Nelom will have to work hard to take, and keep, it off him. He certainly won't give it up without a fight which can only be great news for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Tiger Woods used to practice with the mindset of concentrating on the weakest part of his game until it became his best, then identifying what then was his weakest part of his game and repeating the process. Lennon is possibly looking at this position now in a similar vein as in need of improvement after a few seasons where it wasn’t as high up the list of priorities.

Testimonial Due
    Am I only one who thinks lewy was one of our better players last season? hes improved soo much on his crossing aswell.

He still has 2-3 years in him imo.

That's not being sentimental im just judging what I see. Had some cracking games keeping James Forrest and Patrick Roberts quiet imo.

With McGinn gone, the protection for him isn't there and the new boys are lightweight when it comes to tracking back and nullifying anything in front if him. Hopefully Milligan can add a bit of steel and cover

Quote Originally Posted by RossScott1991 View Post
    Am I only one who thinks lewy was one of our better players last season? hes improved soo much on his crossing aswell.

That's not being sentimental im just judging what I see. Had some cracking games keeping James Forrest and Patrick Roberts quiet imo.
    I'm with you. The squad lacks quality in depth. Lennon is addressing that. By the sounds of it he had brought in a quality player that can cover a couple of positions.

The thought process is obvious. Add depth add cover. Job done hopefully. Those queuing for retirement cards for Lewis are a bit premature.

Quote Originally Posted by maturehibby View Post
    PS
    Nobody is being doom and gloom. Quite the opposite actually. For the first time in a long time people are hoping we might be upgrading a position that hasn’t been upgraded for years. Or at the very least, the player who currently holds the position might be pushed to raise his game. And he’s not been pushed to do that for years due to lack of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by RossScott1991 View Post

He was very good in the second half of last season. Nowhere near the same level so far this season IMO.

Left by mutual consent!
    I love wee Lewis Stevenson, he’s a living Hibs legend 👌🏿 However I have been one of his biggest critics over the last few seasons regards his attacking ability. I always thought he lacked confidence to go beyond the last defender and hit the bye line. However I reckon he’s improved of late which is great credit to the wee man. He’s starting to have more of that confidence he once lacked in my opinion, therefore I don’t think Lewis is in any immediate danger of losing his place in the team. If anything it’ll give us more option to maybe play him in the midfield.

I think there’s too much emphasis on players being dropped or not first choice.Lennon is building a squad and there will be rotation of players depending on the opposition and the formation for particular games.This is the right way to go in my opinion.

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Would be quite sad to see Stevenson go. Judging players on a whole, Stevenson is by far my favourite Hibs player. He has an attitude and maturity that is lacking in the modern game. Regardless of what happens, he'll be remembered for generations.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    Would be quite sad to see Stevenson go. Judging players on a whole, Stevenson is by far my favourite Hibs player. He has an attitude and maturity that is lacking in the modern game. Regardless of what happens, he'll be remembered for generations.
    He’s not leaving!

Hope the new boy proves to be a revelation and gets lots of game time, cos that means he's improving Hibs. Stevenson has his place in Hibs history but everything moves on.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    He’s not leaving!
    You are quite right there!

This whole post is ridiculous and im not blaming the people on it either.

The media have had a field day because we have signed another left back........ it was the same with David Grays positon too and he has come back stronger after his injury!

Lewis is 30 yeah he is and in maturity he may well lose a bit of speed but also he will have gained experience to contradict that loss. Its a bit early to discuss his demise when the

season is just really starting for the team. It wont do his confidence any good either knowing you are all expecting him to be dropped for this new guy.

If he falters and i know he wont, then the new guy gets his chance and does well. Then Lewis will have to work all the harder to get his position back and we all know he will do that anyway.

The last few seasons we have seen him grow into a reliaible and energetic full back who never lets us down. The fans who were against him have had the guts to own up that they were wrong about him.

This is for the depth and strength of the pool of players we have. So we welcome the new player and wish him luck as he has a big task on his hands!

Come on Lewis show them how!

Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post

The fans who were against him have had the guts to own up that they were wrong about him.
    I see this type of comment quite often about Lewis and don’t agree with it.

IMO, Lewis played at a level last year that I hadn’t seen him play at before. I thought it was comfortably his best season for Hibs in terms of individual performance.

He was praised by a lot of people who had been critical previously, including me. That doesn’t mean that those who were critical before were wrong, I just thought he raised the bar and was deservedly praised for it. It still doesn’t change my opinion on previous what went before.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    He was very good in the second half of last season. Nowhere near the same level so far this season IMO.
    But not many are soo far this season it’s a slow burner. Not down to Lewis age at all.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    This whole thread is basically a backhanded compliment to lewis - we know there are better left backs out there, but we love him so much that we'd be sad to see him loose his place.

As has been said, such sentiments are for us fans, and if onwards and upwards means lewis becomes less regular, then so be it - he's a living hero, and i'll love him forever

It would also be interesting to see lewis in midfield though, he certainly has a lot of dig and drive.

Who did Lewis himself replace. Murphy?
    It seems so long ago!

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I see this type of comment quite often about Lewis and don’t agree with it.

IMO, Lewis played at a level last year that I hadn’t seen him play at before. I thought it was comfortably his best season for Hibs in terms of individual performance.

He was praised by a lot of people who had been critical previously, including me. That doesn’t mean that those who were critical before were wrong, I just thought he raised the bar and was deservedly praised for it. It still doesn’t change my opinion on previous what went before.

You may see this type of comment now and again when many people are on the back of the same player as happened with lewis. Some of the comments were ridiculous IMO and would do no good to a young man short of confidence as he was.

im happy that he proved many wrong, he worked hard for it and shone during the last couple of seasons. Your right that no one can change how things were or felt that went before. All we can hope for is an ever improving team giving the usual Hibernian flair who ever plays left back.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Who did Lewis himself replace. Murphy?
    It seems so long ago!
    Mcgivern, before him van bloody zanten and ian murray

@hibs.net private member
    1 year deal tells me he's coming in as backup and to keep Lewis on his toes.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Can anyone conjure up a list of the left backs we have recruited since 2007 and how successful they were at replacing Lewis Stevenson?
    This post needs a 'Like' button.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    1 year deal tells me he's coming in as backup and to keep Lewis on his toes.
    Or he's so good that a one year deal with an option to extend was the best we could hope for?

Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Or he's so good that a one year deal with an option to extend was the best we could hope for?
    It's likely that a "one year deal" in this case is actually only 8 months, mid-September till mid-May, which is probably the minimum we could get him for.

If he really was good and we saw him as a future fixture in the side, given that he was clubless, I doubt he'd have knocked back a longer term.

I'd like it to be more than that, but I think he's short term cover, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Lewis will be 31 in three and a half months so his time at this level is coming to an end.
    that means the wee man is only 30 and 3 quarters! nelom smellom, Luis will survive for another couple of seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    he isnae gaun anywhere! what you on aboot?

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Hope the new boy proves to be a revelation and gets lots of game time, cos that means he's improving Hibs. Stevenson has his place in Hibs history but everything moves on.
    good grief! have not been on here for ages, but suddenly realise we have replaced a LB stalwart with new boy