hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brilliant!

Great to see Lawrie Reilly in full flow

Shame about the result typical HIBS
    Obviously didn't help with the Hibs full back breaking his leg in first half in the days of no subs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Obviously didn't help with the Hibs full back breaking his leg in first half in the days of no subs.
    True

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    My Dad always talked about our games against Motherwell that season. Not only did we lose the semi (with 10 men) 3-2 but we also lost the LC final 3-0, the game after winning 6-2 at Well in the League! We scored 9 in 2 league games against Well that season but lost both cup ties!! Apparently in the final Turnbull was injured before kick off & we ended up with 9 fit men on the park. (shades of 1958). We still dominated but Well scored all 3 goals in last 15 minutes, helped by some unusual errors from Tommy Younger. No wonder we thought we were jinxed in Scottish & LC cups until 1972 & of course, that day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seekyit View Post
    It's ma Auld Man's birthday today. He's 93. He saw Hibs lose five cup finals - 1947, 1958, 1972, 1979 and 2001.

By the time 2012 came round, his health had deteriorated and he was losing his memory. Even so, I got him a ticket but he didn't want to go because in his own words he wasn't "fit enough, physically or mentally".

Perhaps it was for the best, because what transpired might have killed him off.... ultimately I'm not sure he was aware of what happened that day anyhow.

2013 came and went then 2016 happened. The next day, walking down Leith Walk, following the parade, there was a tinge of sadness that he hadn't been there to see it. He lives in a care home near Leith Links, and I got myself into a right dither about getting him out to see Hibs with the Scottish Cup. In the end I thought he might not understand what was going on or that he might get fed up with the crowds and that would've upset me a bit. So I decided against it and I don't regret that.

The next day I went to see him I told him that Hibs had won the Scottish Cup, but I don't think the significance of it sank in.

Still, he did see Hibs win the league three times, witnessed some great European nights, and was at Tynecastle on 01.01.73.

Not bad.

The day itself; prior to kick off, from my position behind the goals, I looked around the stadium and behind me there was a huge flag, green, white and black, union jack style, with the words "Spirits In The Sky" written on it. I think there were some names on there as well. I thought about the Fathers, Grandfathers, Uncles, Aunties, cousins etc who hadn't lived to see Hibs win the Scottish Cup (neither had any of us at that point).

My memory of the game is a blur, like it wasn't real or some sort of outer body experience. Strangely - and I know I'm not alone here - when we went 3-2 up I didn't feel nervous. Was it sheer confidence that the match was won, or was it after 40 years of watching Hibs I was mentally prepared for anything so I was actually quite relaxed? Deep down though, it was like, Jeez, we've done it.

One wee thing that sticks in my mind - Henderson, celebrating half a second before the ref blew the final whistle.

It really was a beautiful thing.

D.
    What a great post, on that great day in May that's exactly how I would describe my experience GGTTH

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by leith lynx View Post
    What a great post, on that great day in May that's exactly how I would describe my experience GGTTH
    Was in the Philippines during the final but I know what you mean about the outer body experience. Had it at Hampden for the league cup final wins or when we beat Hearts or the old firm. It is almost like the whole game including the build up and afterwards is in slow motion or you are watching a film of it.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Was in the Philippines during the final but I know what you mean about the outer body experience. Had it at Hampden for the league cup final wins or when we beat Hearts or the old firm. It is almost like the whole game including the build up and afterwards is in slow motion or you are watching a film of it.
    I was the exact same sat in a pub in Zurich, rocking back and forth like a man possessed for the last 2 minutes.

It was like I was watching it happen to someone else from a few feet up in the air. My own tale and memories of the final are now tinged with more than a bit of sadness and regret as my best mate for whom I managed to source a ticket through this very website passed away earlier this year far, far too soon.

I don't think I'm more thankful for any single thing I've done for someone else than getting him the ticket as he'll obviously never get that chance again now whilst I, hopefully, will

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    My Scottish Cup story is one that I'm very proud of and that is I haven't missed a SC tie, home or away since my very first one away to Arbroath in 1976.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    My Scottish Cup story is one that I'm very proud of and that is I haven't missed a SC tie, home or away since my very first one away to Arbroath in 1976.
    You have seen us lose 42 Scottish Cup ties. Jonah.

😏

Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    That is some record mate!

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    You have seen us lose 42 Scottish Cup ties. Jonah.

😏
    Haha, It's what my mates used to say, or more to the point it was my fault, before that glorious day back in May.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I don't think we'd have won the cup if we scored earlier, even n the 89th minute. Any longer than the minute and a half or so to play and the pressure would have gotten immense.

After that length of time it was always going to take an injury time winner to get us over the line. We didn't have enough time after we stopped celebrating to fall apart.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Did you catch the game in the Philippines by any chance? It would be good to hear about your experience of it from that perspective if so

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    I was the exact same sat in a pub in Zurich, rocking back and forth like a man possessed for the last 2 minutes.

It was like I was watching it happen to someone else from a few feet up in the air. My own tale and memories of the final are now tinged with more than a bit of sadness and regret as my best mate for whom I managed to source a ticket through this very website passed away earlier this year far, far too soon.

I don't think I'm more thankful for any single thing I've done for someone else than getting him the ticket as he'll obviously never get that chance again now whilst I, hopefully, will

Sorry to hear it man. That's the joy of football though it gives you those memories to hold on to

Would you be happy for me to include your story in the project?

Thanks

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
    Did you catch the game in the Philippines by any chance? It would be good to hear about your experience of it from that perspective if so
    It is the long Scottish Cup post. I was SingHibs then. Move to Philippines permanently now.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Stumbled upon this on Youtube

Well worth waiting for game 3

I wonder what it could be?

https://youtu.be/52ZtEG32Q74

Sorry to hear it man. That's the joy of football though it gives you those memories to hold on to

Would you be happy for me to include your story in the project?

Thanks
    Yes, very happy for it to be included. PM me if further details required

Cheers Lyonhibs, I've sent you a PM

Your Scottish Cup Stories

I'm picking this up again now I have a bit more time. Does anyone else have a story they'd like to contribute?

200-300 words on why the Cup Final day was so special to you personally. What happened on the day that made it all the sweeter to you, or what was the significance of the win on the wider context of your life? Anything at all, no matter how big or small - so long as it is personal to you

You can either post up on here or contact me directly on scott.dawson@leith.co.uk

Cheers

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    As we travelled on the bus through a built up area can’t recall exactly where but as we got closer to Hampden my laddie pointed out an old building with a date stone near the top of the building it said 1902. He said look at that it’s an omen we’re going to win the cup today 😀

Cheers Scouse Hibee

How about anyone else, has today brought back any more memories?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Cheers Scouse Hibee

How about anyone else, has today brought back any more memories?
    Have replied to your PM 👍

Thumbs Up

Thanks again mate