hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: German Football

German Football(nhc)

I was at a Union Berlin game last Friday and wrote a wee bit about it here if you fancy a read.

https://thefootballblether.com/2018/...-second-class/

20,000-ish in attendance on a Friday night created an amazing atmosphere. The standard was also very good for second tier.

Has anyone else been to many German matches and do you think there are things Scottish football can learn from our German friends?
    Last edited by GaryOsCheerios; 19-09-2018 at 07:58 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOsCheerios View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was at a Union Berlin game last Friday and wrote a wee bit about it here if you fancy a read.

[url=https://thefootballblether.com/2018/09/15/second-tier-but-not-second-class/[/url]

20,000-ish in attendance on a Friday night created an amazing atmosphere. The standard was also very good for second tier.

Has anyone else been to many German matches and do you think there are things Scottish football can learn from our German friends?
    Went to Union Berlin v Bochum 3 years ago. Great experience - the walk from the station to the stadium was lined with vendors selling bbq'd grub and bevvy. Got a ticket in the terrace behind the goal for about 12 quid, few pints during it aswell.

Also been to see Eintracht Frankfurt at home a few times, been to Hertha v Leverkusen and been to Mainz aswell. Never had a bad experience yet. Heading across to see Eintracht away to Hertha Berlin in December too.

Regarind your last point - there is plenty Scotland could learn from Germany!

Went to Dortmund and managed to get a ticket on the famous Sudtribune and it was an amazing experience. 80,000 in attendance for a regular Bundesliga game with 25,000 standing on the Yellow Wall.

The fan parks around the ground were packed 3 hours before the game and there was just a real carnival atmosphere the whole day.

Would like to go to a Bundesliga 2 game soon, too as it’s even cheaper than the top tier and probably more authentic. Looking to go to a St Pauli, Dynamo Dresden or a Magdeburg game. Anyone been to any these grounds?

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Went to Signal Iduna Park to watch Dortmund vs Bayern a couple of seasons ago. Fantastic trip and experience! Would love to go again.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    The German league is the best in the world. Safe standing, extremely cheap tickets, fan-owned clubs as a requirement. Would love to move there just for the football experience.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Went to Eintracht Frankfurt v Bayern a few years back. Fantastic city and fantastic supporters who made our group welcome.

Bayern won the league that day and went on to win the champions league that season.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

First Team Breakthrough
    I will be making my 13th & 14th trips to Germany in November. There is a whole host of things I believe we can take from their game (Not all will be applicable though due to the Scottish Mentality)

Safe Standing
    Drinking while watching games
    Cheaper Tickets (I have never paid over £15 for a ticket)
    Free Public Transportation with a Ticket for the game (Love this feature)
    Club being in contact with fans regarding issues e.g. ticket prices, matchday experience etc

I have been lucky enough to attend games like:

Eintracht Frankfurt V Schalke
    St Pauli V Dynamo Dresden
    Eintracht Frankfurt V Werder Bremen
    1860 Munich V St Pauli
    Koln V St Pauli

The matchday experience is phenomenal and quite frankly I believe puts anything in Scotland if not Britain to shame.

Just a point about ticket prices at German Games...

The way the pricing works over there, as in many countries, is that there's a vast range of prices according to whether you're standing or seated, or your location in the Stadium. The standing prices are low because the clubs basically subsidize those to encourage a good atmosphere.

As an Example; While there are tickets available for €15 Euros at the Allianz Arena (limited standing areas behind the goals), 80% of the capacity is seating and priced as follows:

Behind the goals, Upper Tier: €35 (you need binoculars from up there just to see the pitch)
    Behind the goals, Middle Tier: €45
    Alongside the pitch, Lower and Middle plus part of Upper Tier: €70
    Alongside the pitch, Most of Upper Tier: €60

My point is that we could have limited cheap standing places at ER, as long as the rest of the Fans accept that they would basically be subsidising those cheaper tickets.

----------------------

By the way, I love going to German football, and would like the experience here to be much more like it is there. I'm in no way intending to contradict anybody regarding the prices, as the cheapest prices really are as cheap as people have said. It's just that I thought it important to point out that the prices people mention are just that, the cheapest prices.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Been to a few games. Great experience. Last one was Hertha v Schalke whilst in Berlin. Hertha are not a particularly nice club I think Union is better but just wanted to see a match and see the stadium. Brother in law from Frieburg who are similar size to Hibs. Both been to see Dortmund play which is as good as it gets.

Cost of transport to the game included in the ticket. A nice touch. Able to order a beer in my seat (cheapest tickets there was) and have a guy with a large keg on his back pour me a beer whilst I sit watching the game.

Football is still very much a fan experience in Germany and they're proud of that. Just a pity there hasn't been any competition in their league for a while...

I need to go and see a team in green there. Werder Bremen maybe..
    Last edited by Baader; 19-09-2018 at 02:01 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Went to 2 games in 1 weekend

Fortuna ( who were in the 2nd division at the time) loved it

Went to Bayer L the day after and it wa not as enjoyable and the stadium was fairly Soulless.

Proper fans ‘ticked’ Union Berlin while watching Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Off to Eintracht v Freiburg in Oct then Lazio v Eintracht in Dec in Europa league.

Quote Originally Posted by scotiaf View Post
    Went to 2 games in 1 weekend

Fortuna ( who were in the 2nd division at the time) loved it

Went to Bayer L the day after and it wa not as enjoyable and the stadium was fairly Soulless.
    Leverkusen are one of the anomalies in German football. They are alongside Wolfsburg and RBL in being the only non-fan clubs owned in the Bundesliga, and are really only where they are down to corporate investment, as opposed to a large, passionate fan base.

Good read - we have 3.5 million people here n Berlin, 20,000 is OK for Union on Friday.
    Glad you think the trains run on time here in Berlin, and you're right: no-body in Germany queues properly ... apart from ex-pats!

As to the community spirit of this club, feel it is also worth mentioning that at Xmas time they open the stadium to all their fans and guests to come along have a carol singing evening with Glühwein and bratwürst and so on ... would that be something the Edinburgh clubs could try out??
    I've been to games and never had any problems with fans drinking on the terracing too much: that is something I doubt very much would be the case in Scotland, if something similar was allowed ...

Seems to me generally that the atmosphere at most German games is better organised and maintained than at most Scottish grounds, including the two West-coast teams - down to the number of fans and the German willingness to organise singing and chanting I think ..

... the overall professionalism of German clubs and the players here is something the Scottish league could try to aspire to ....

Been to a couple of Union games. Love the atmosphere, the stadium, in fact everything about the place

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    There's been some cracking games in Germany this weekend. Hamburg currently 5 goals down to Regensburg.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    There's been some cracking games in Germany this weekend. Hamburg currently 5 goals down to Regensburg.
    And boy it's a great watch. 😉😎 Hamburg v St Pauli next Sunday will be tasty

Love goin tae german games, fantastic experience, its what fitba should b aboot, will add more when sober. Mix wae away fans, beer outside stadium, the whole match experience is something i would love to see in Scotland but it will never happen. Too many ********5 that cannae mix with other fans or handle thur beer, for all real fitba fans yi should go to Germany tae experience it, its brilliant. The Germans are also brilliant.

Hi mate. Been to a few German games and loved all of them. Good football, good fans, good prices, just a great experience. Saw St Pauli and gotta be one of the best atmospheres I've experienced. The fans are nuts and are passionate about their team. Saw H Berlin a few times too and that's always a suberb day out too. Watched Union Berlin in a Union bar over there and that was awesome! In fact, Germany is SO good we're going back next year again. Heck, they even throw in free transport with match tickets... What's not to like 😁

We paid around £23 for Hertha Berlin v RB Leipzig last season. What's Premier prices here? Sankt Pauli around £15? (for a 30,000 sell out) you can't go wrong in Germany. Also, the beers are cheaper than here and, imo, far better. And transport around every city is just incredibly simple and efficient. Its the best football experience in Europe imo. Easily.

I’m away to Munich st the end of November. Wanted to go to see St Pauli but there’s a Rangers fan in our group and he didn’t want to go!

I’ll take Munich as a replacement!

Anyone been to a Munich game before? Is there fan zones before the game at the stadium?

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Would love to see Hibs play a German club. That would be an awesome Euro trip!!

@hibs.net private member norwayhibs's Avatar
    I was stationed not far from Dortmund in the 80's during my time in the army, I still go over fairly regularly to see them play. Scotland could learn so much from the germans regarding the fans matchday experience. For example , fairly cheap tickets , free public transport with match ticket, no cash at the food / beer booths inside the stadium,( you buy a card which lasts a season from a vendor outside or on the concourses which you top up with cash,) at the booths you just scan your card and the transaction is finished, very quick and efficient.
    There are plenty of watering holes near the stadium for a beer or two. No glass bottles allowed within a certain distance from the ground. No problems walking from city centre to the stadium with a beer.

The atmosphere during the game is amazing, this is normal for most german clubs but must say that the süd tribune is something special and a trip to the westfalen should be on every football fans to do list.
    image.jpg

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Just a point about ticket prices at German Games...

The way the pricing works over there, as in many countries, is that there's a vast range of prices according to whether you're standing or seated, or your location in the Stadium. The standing prices are low because the clubs basically subsidize those to encourage a good atmosphere.

As an Example; While there are tickets available for €15 Euros at the Allianz Arena (limited standing areas behind the goals), 80% of the capacity is seating and priced as follows:

Behind the goals, Upper Tier: €35 (you need binoculars from up there just to see the pitch)
    Behind the goals, Middle Tier: €45
    Alongside the pitch, Lower and Middle plus part of Upper Tier: €70
    Alongside the pitch, Most of Upper Tier: €60

My point is that we could have limited cheap standing places at ER, as long as the rest of the Fans accept that they would basically be subsidising those cheaper tickets.

----------------------

By the way, I love going to German football, and would like the experience here to be much more like it is there. I'm in no way intending to contradict anybody regarding the prices, as the cheapest prices really are as cheap as people have said. It's just that I thought it important to point out that the prices people mention are just that, the cheapest prices.

Cheers for the info.

I wonder how these prices compare to others in the Bundesliga? I imagine Bayern Munich would have the priciest tickets.

The scary thing is that even those top tier prices compare favourably with most of the EPL - especially when public transport is factored in.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was really lucky earlier in the year as was in cologne for a gig. Got tickets to see FC Köln beat Leyverkuson but lucked out as my air bnb apartment faced into Fortuna Kolns pitch & they were playing when we arrived, was like the carlsberg advert. Great atmosphere at both.

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Would love to see Hibs play a German club. That would be an awesome Euro trip!!
    As earlier in the thread, we played a friendly away to Union Berlin a few years ago. If memory serves me right, it was announced reasonably late and was tagged on to the end of our tour of Belgium so there was only about 80-100 Hibs fans there, and a lot of those were the Cologne branch. Took us an hour to get out of the ground for all the Germans that wanted a photo with us. Wandering about after the game trying to find a bar that was open and a Union fan reopened his bar especially for us to have a pint while we headed back towards Alexanderplatz.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Cheers for the info.

I wonder how these prices compare to others in the Bundesliga? I imagine Bayern Munich would have the priciest tickets.

The scary thing is that even those top tier prices compare favourably with most of the EPL - especially when public transport is factored in.
    Hertha have made an amazing offer this year in that all kids tickets are free. Admittedly they'd struggle to fill the Olympia Stadion week in week out but it's normally brimming when the big teams come calling.

It's hard to explain how big a part of German life football is, there's a large portion of Germans who rarely attend the top leagues games because they're active at a lower level in one way or another. Every town and most villages have their own football club and every football club have their own bar and restaurants. For this reason many Germans are playing for or supporting their local team when the Bundesliga games are taking place. This what I normally do nowadays at weekends when my boy is playing. Afterwards together with the other parents we'll watch Hertha on the clubhouse TV and make a whole day session out of it. A pint costs about £1.50 and the grill is always on. In general guests are welcome and I'd recommend anyone visiting Germany to try a day out at a grass roots game.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Hertha have made an amazing offer this year in that all kids tickets are free. Admittedly they'd struggle to fill the Olympia Stadion week in week out but it's normally brimming when the big teams come calling.

It's hard to explain how big a part of German life football is, there's a large portion of Germans who rarely attend the top leagues games because they're active at a lower level in one way or another. Every town and most villages have their own football club and every football club have their own bar and restaurants. For this reason many Germans are playing for or supporting their local team when the Bundesliga games are taking place. This what I normally do nowadays at weekends when my boy is playing. Afterwards together with the other parents we'll watch Hertha on the clubhouse TV and make a whole day session out of it. A pint costs about £1.50 and the grill is always on. In general guests are welcome and I'd recommend anyone visiting Germany to try a day out at a grass roots game.
    I’d agree with this. Even a game at Oberliga or Regional League level is worth a visit, if you’re in Germany and there’s no top league matches nearby.

I have had great days out at Victoria Berlin and Babbelsberg on a trip to Berlin. The locals are friendly and there’s always beer and good food.

They were a little confused by a random Scotsman being at the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    They were a little confused by a random Scotsman being at the game.
    I was at Holywell v Denbigh on Friday in Welsh division one (as you do) and of the crowd of 205, 6 of them were a group of East German blokes so maybe it’s not too foreign a concept to them!

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    I was at Holywell v Denbigh on Friday in Welsh division one (as you do) and of the crowd of 205, 6 of them were a group of East German blokes so maybe it’s not too foreign a concept to them!
    It’s definitely a guy thing. The internet has helped, but back in the day. You’re somewhere on holiday and suddenly you think, “are those floodlights?” Next thing you know, you’re watching a game and having a beer with the locals. Happy days.