hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 251
  1. #61
    johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was there, and was just past the back of the Hub on Johnson Terrace. The march started prompt at 13:00 but I didn't get to the front of the Hub until 13:35. The march was still passing the World's End at 15:00. Make of this what you want but these are facts.
    A long single file line? ☺

    100,000 is impressive have to say.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #62
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    29,815
    what a day for a March, what a day for a Match, 100k the polis estimate, blooters my 20k+ prediction right in to touch, well proud

  4. #63
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,937
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what a day for a March, what a day for a Match, 100k the polis estimate, blooters my 20k+ prediction right in to touch, well proud
    On my way home Now, after seeing the best and most important march for independence in Scotland. For those who wished it pishef of rain, it didn't, for those who wanted us to pish on the streets, we didn't. We respected, Auld reekie and their inhabitants.

    #proud


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  5. #64
    First march I’ve attended.. excellent numbers and good peaceful atmosphere the way it should be.. was great to see so many different groups supporting the cause .. looking forward to the next one..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

  6. #65
    @hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,623
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what a day for a March, what a day for a Match, 100k the polis estimate, blooters my 20k+ prediction right in to touch, well proud
    Council and police say there were 20K today. Who knows

  7. #66
    It looked like a scene from braveheart. Some got confused and picked up Palestine flags instead of their saltires though

  8. #67
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,882
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It looked like a scene from braveheart. Some got confused and picked up Palestine flags instead of their saltires though
    It was All Under One Banner after all. All welcome.

    J

  9. #68
    Veni, Vidi, Posti degenerated's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    At a post-punk postcard fair
    Age
    47
    Posts
    9,862
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: dave7062
    Having been on a few of these before ive seen what a 20k march looks like and what i saw today was bigger than anything ive seen in Scotland before.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  10. #69
    johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    STATEMENT ON ALL UNDER ONE BANNER MARCH

    Inspector Murray Starkey said: “Police Scotland worked alongside event organisers and partners today, Saturday 6 October, for a planned march in the capital.

    “City of Edinburgh Council estimate that 20,000 people took part in the march from Johnston Terrace to Holyrood Park.

    “Disruption to the city centre was as expected and all roads reopened as planned. Queen’s Drive was temporarily closed to ensure public safety.

    “One arrest was made in connection with a minor offence.

    “Both the participants and the wider public are thanked for their patience and cooperation during today’s event.”

  11. #70
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,937
    Many numbers will will bandied about, but this was, "THE", biggest march in recent years.

    The daily heil readers will be spewing into their porridge in the morning.

    🍲


    I'm sure I could post a picture of the Tory party conference, just for John the Tory.

    Oh well, maybe not. It's empty.
    Last edited by ronaldo7; 06-10-2018 at 07:43 PM.

  12. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The daily heil readers will be spewing into their porridge in the morning.

    🍲
    While screaming uncontrollably their favourites such as "THERE'S NO APPETITE FOR A 2ND REFERENDUM" and "GET ON WITH THE DAY JOB" and "FAT ECK... WEE KRANKIE..." over and over again.

  13. #72
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,937
    We need to know, John the Tory, were you one of the 26?


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  14. #73
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,937
    I'd just like to say, that no priests, were spat at or abused during today's march.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  15. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It looked like a scene from braveheart. Some got confused and picked up Palestine flags instead of their saltires though
    Having looked at photos from today's rally I've spotted England flags, a Norway flag, a Slovakia flag etc, so what's your point?

  16. #75
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    12,226
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  17. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Amazing turnout.

  18. #77
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having looked at photos from today's rally I've spotted England flags, a Norway flag, a Slovakia flag etc, so what's your point?
    That some people piggy back on any cause to promote their own agenda. The same guys show up at every rally from safe cycle ways, to save the whale.

    Yes, I know them personally, if that helps.

  19. #78
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    3,102
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A long single file line? ☺

    100,000 is impressive have to say.
    Hope this isn't gonna be a new Hibs.net "fact" ..... It was simply on exited woman in the crowd that said it on the BBC, I'm sure the figure of around 20k ish claimed by the organisers and confirmed by the police will be closer to the truth. :D
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  20. #79
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That some people piggy back on any cause to promote their own agenda. The same guys show up at every rally from safe cycle ways, to save the whale.

    Yes, I know them personally, if that helps.
    I saw some eejit with a palestinian flag after the game yesterday - don't see the point or relevance.

    In general though, a great turnout and it seems like a successful event.

  21. #80
    johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hope this isn't gonna be a new Hibs.net "fact" ..... It was simply on exited woman in the crowd that said it on the BBC, I'm sure the figure of around 20k ish claimed by the organisers and confirmed by the police will be closer to the truth. :D
    Looks like 20,000 is closer to the truth. So not bad but quite some way off from 100,000 or even 193,000 which was being mentioned as well.

    One of the organisers claimed 100,000, but he also claims that Yes actually won in 2014, read into that what you want.

  22. #81
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw some eejit with a palestinian flag after the game yesterday - don't see the point or relevance.

    In general though, a great turnout and it seems like a successful event.
    My point is clear. Whether you agree with it, or not, is a different matter.

  23. #82
    First Team Breakthrough Curried's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Port Misery
    Age
    56
    Posts
    197
    A lot of sad unionists looking for a comfort blanket here:-)

  24. #83
    Chairman, North East Scotland Hibernian SC Frazerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Age
    45
    Posts
    8,588
    Whatever the actual figure, be it 20k, 100k or more likely somewhere in between, it was a HUGE success, despite the best attempts of HES and various Unionist groups. The biggest EVER demonstration to hit our streets of this kind. Fantastic family occasion with people of all ages, from all walks of life, religions and from every corner of our country and beyond. Absolutely no hint of trouble despite the pathetic attempts to provoke it from the 15-20 Union Jack waving balloons lead by the holocost denier, who only seems to own one shirt.

    The turnout & the polls out today show there certainly is an appetite for another referendum. It will happen sooner or later, nothing surer.

  25. #84
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    My take on this dispute over numbers is that I voted Yes in 2014 because I twigged the No campaign were liars, aided by the state broadcaster and the media.

    If it turns out that the Yes campaigners are lying over the amount of people at the rally, it will definitely influence how I view them as a credible alternative to what we have just now. I already know that one side tells lies, so 20,000 already doesn't fool me. I think that 100,000 bodies of a difference would say that they are bigger liars than ever, which I don't think is actually possible.

    I smell something in the Yes sides claim.

  26. #85
    First Team Breakthrough MurrayfieldHibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    West Lower
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whatever the actual figure, be it 20k, 100k or more likely somewhere in between, it was a HUGE success, despite the best attempts of HES and various Unionist groups. The biggest EVER demonstration to hit our streets of this kind. Fantastic family occasion with people of all ages, from all walks of life, religions and from every corner of our country and beyond. Absolutely no hint of trouble despite the pathetic attempts to provoke it from the 15-20 Union Jack waving balloons lead by the holocost denier, who only seems to own one shirt.

    The turnout & the polls out today show there certainly is an appetite for another referendum. It will happen sooner or later, nothing surer.
    Agreed!

  27. #86
    First Team Breakthrough MurrayfieldHibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    West Lower
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My take on this dispute over numbers is that I voted Yes in 2014 because I twigged the No campaign were liars, aided by the state broadcaster and the media.

    If it turns out that the Yes campaigners are lying over the amount of people at the rally, it will definitely influence how I view them as a credible alternative to what we have just now. I already know that one side tells lies, so 20,000 already doesn't fool me. I think that 100,000 bodies of a difference would say that they are bigger liars than ever, which I don't think is actually possible.

    I smell something in the Yes sides claim.
    Part of the problem is that it is difficult to count that many people spread over a large area. I am pretty good at guessing the crowds at ER and our second home Hamdump but it isn't easy guessing how many were spread from Holyrood Park right back to Johnstone & castle Terrace. I can however make a pretty good guestimate that it was considerably more than a full house at ER. I would certainly say it was more than 50,000. Whatever the number it was one of the biggest political rallies ever in Scotland and demonstrates that a lot of people in Scotland want change - no matter what the unionist media and politicians say.

  28. #87
    Whilst the numbers are hugely impressive be it 20K or 100K does it really tell us anything about the desire for another referendum? The zeal of the converted and all that. A load of people who believe in independence and want another referendum attended a march. Did they convince anyone else? We already know a very sizeable minority want another vote. I passed the march on my way to ER and it was visually spectacular and seemed in a very good spirt. Those ****ing whistles were annoying though!!

    The current polls are far more indicative of the apetite for a referendum and that's were the focus of the Yes/Indyref2 canpaign should now be as it seems there's been a shift in their favour. That's more important than getting into an argument about how many people attended yesterday imo.

  29. #88
    Chairman, North East Scotland Hibernian SC Frazerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Age
    45
    Posts
    8,588
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayfieldHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Part of the problem is that it is difficult to count that many people spread over a large area. I am pretty good at guessing the crowds at ER and our second home Hamdump but it isn't easy guessing how many were spread from Holyrood Park right back to Johnstone & castle Terrace. I can however make a pretty good guestimate that it was considerably more than a full house at ER. I would certainly say it was more than 50,000. Whatever the number it was one of the biggest political rallies ever in Scotland and demonstrates that a lot of people in Scotland want change - no matter what the unionist media and politicians say.
    I thought I was about half way down the march at the start and reached Holyrood around 2.15pm. I didn’t hang around and was in the Mash Tun for a quick pre-match drink around 2.45pm. Incredibly, some of my pals were still at Johnstone Terrace waiting to start their walk.

  30. #89
    Chairman, North East Scotland Hibernian SC Frazerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Age
    45
    Posts
    8,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whilst the numbers are hugely impressive be it 20K or 100K does it really tell us anything about the desire for another referendum? The zeal of the converted and all that. A load of people who believe in independence and want another referendum attended a march. Did they convince anyone else? We already know a very sizeable minority want another vote. I passed the march on my way to ER and it was visually spectacular and seemed in a very good spirt. Those ****ing whistles were annoying though!!

    The current polls are far more indicative of the apetite for a referendum and that's were the focus of the Yes/Indyref2 canpaign should now be as it seems there's been a shift in their favour. That's more important than getting into an argument about how many people attended yesterday imo.
    Agree with this. We commented whilst walking away from the rally that the speakers were preaching to the wrong crowd. Those in attendance had decided. It’s those that are swayable that need targeted. However, the publicity from yesterday will do no harm at all.

  31. #90
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayfieldHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Part of the problem is that it is difficult to count that many people spread over a large area. I am pretty good at guessing the crowds at ER and our second home Hamdump but it isn't easy guessing how many were spread from Holyrood Park right back to Johnstone & castle Terrace. I can however make a pretty good guestimate that it was considerably more than a full house at ER. I would certainly say it was more than 50,000. Whatever the number it was one of the biggest political rallies ever in Scotland and demonstrates that a lot of people in Scotland want change - no matter what the unionist media and politicians say.
    It demonstrates to me that my scepticism shouldn't just be confined to what one side says. Pretty poor show if people are massaging the figures.

    I would sit up and take notice of 100,000 people turning up, as that would suggest a wide spectrum of the population. As it stands, I'm inclined to think that a lot of those attending are the same bams that are putting nationalist flags on motorway bridges, and driving up and down the M90 is convoys to spread the word. Not the sort of people I take very seriously - SNP really needs to keep those in the middle ground onside.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved