hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Miquel Nelom

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    If he turns out to be better than Stevenson then he’ll take his place. If not, he’ll be back up.

Either way, the majority of Lennon’s signings have been sound so here’s hoping he’s found another decent player for us.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Posts like this baffle me :confused

The preciousness over Lewis is ridiculous.
    It's almost as if they hope he is crap.

@hibs.net private member
    Welcome to Hibs

Another good addition. Squad looking strong.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Another good addition. Squad looking strong.
    Certainly is, a few not even going to make the bench some weeks. Let’s hope we get a wee run without injuries

Lewis is a steady and dependable player for us. He's not great and hes not *****,he's probably about average for our level. That's the reality. If Nelom is above average and can be as consistent as Lewis he will be starting.

Left by mutual consent!
    Welcome Lord Nelom.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    A few weeks ago (can't remember what game), Neil Lennon said after the match that he'd wanted to rest Lewis but couldn't.
    I disagree with the posters saying this means the end for Lewis. I think this above is one of the reasons NL wants the new player. Competition and cover, sure, like any other position needs, but Stevenson needs a break too.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    I disagree with the posters saying this means the end for Lewis.
    Is anyone saying that?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Please be the Dutch Andy Robertson 🙏🙏🙏

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanWilson View Post
    Please be the Dutch Andy Robertson 🙏🙏🙏
    I predict he'll be the Dutch full back version of efe. Some class moments on the ball but some total brain farts at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    I predict he'll be the Dutch full back version of efe. Some class moments on the ball but some total brain farts at the back.
    I having nothing but love for Lewis but the Kilmarnock game was an eye opener of his lacking in attacking ability. The whole team was pedestrian so not all his fault but he had umptine moments in the game where Horgan wanted to collect the ball and Lewis to make the run and he just stpped dead on the halfway line. I also noticed at almondvale Lennon completely lost the plot with LS at one point for no apparent reason... to the point Gary Parker told him to sit down. If this guy can make the overlapping runs then I think he'll play.

@hibs.net private member
    I having nothing but love for Lewis but the Kilmarnock game was an eye opener of his lacking in attacking ability. The whole team was pedestrian so not all his fault but he had umptine moments in the game where Horgan wanted to collect the ball and Lewis to make the run and he just stpped dead on the halfway line. I also noticed at almondvale Lennon completely lost the plot with LS at one point for no apparent reason... to the point Gary Parker told him to sit down. If this guy can make the overlapping runs then I think he'll play.
    To be fair it has happened before that our full backs don’t go bombing forward when we play 4 at the back.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Is anyone saying that?
    Yes, one or two definitely posted to say that. I’m on my phone so finding and quoting those posts is a bit tricky. I’m not raging about it or anything, just a simple disagreement with the idea, that’s all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Is anyone saying that?
    Yes. Raith next season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    Posts like this baffle me :confused

The preciousness over Lewis is ridiculous.
    Preciousness = acknowledgement that Lewis is a solid and dependable defender who we'd be loath to see leave Hibs. He is however limited in an attacking sense and even his biggest fans would accept that. That said I'd be surprised if Lenny wanted to get rid of Lewis and the fact that Miquel has signed on for only 1 season suggests that either side or both aren't willing to commit to longer.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Read it as Micheal Nelson for a second. Panic over
    brill

@hibs.net private member
    ... or he was told to not bomb forward as Killie posed a big threat down the right (both goals came from there).

Every time he makes an overlap, we are left short at the back. You have got to take into account the threat the opposition pose if you lose the ball or they recycle it quickly.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee316 View Post
    ... or he was told to not bomb forward as Killie posed a big threat down the right (both goals came from there).

Every time he makes an overlap, we are left short at the back. You have got to take into account the threat the opposition pose if you lose the ball or they recycle it quickly.
    Absolutely. Lewis isn't a fully fledged attacking wing back, but he's almost always available as an option to pass to on the wing. This spreads the opposition defence, and puts them on the back foot, creating more room for our midfield to push forward.

That's invaluable. As you say, if he doesn't do that, it'll be under instruction.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by hibee316 View Post

He can bomb forward with a back 3 as Hanlon covers for him but with a back 4 he has to be more pragmatic, problem seemed to be that Horgan was giving him no help and Whittaker doesn't have the pace to get around the pitch as much to also help him out. If Lennon wants to play with so many attacking midfielders he has to get them working their socks off pressing from midfield, Hyndman and Horgan seemingly weren't doing that and Whitts isn't a DM. I watched the Liverpool v PSG game the other night and the pressing and working from both teams were poles apart. Liverpool pressed high up with the mid/attack all working very hard, PSG front 3 did the square root of sod all and against a goo team like Liverpool they were overran at times, the 3-2 scoreline flattered PSG.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post

He can bomb forward with a back 3 as Hanlon covers for him but with a back 4 he has to be more pragmatic, problem seemed to be that Horgan was giving him no help and Whittaker doesn't have the pace to get around the pitch as much to also help him out. If Lennon wants to play with so many attacking midfielders he has to get them working their socks off pressing from midfield, Hyndman and Horgan seemingly weren't doing that and Whitts isn't a DM. I watched the Liverpool v PSG game the other night and the pressing and working from both teams were poles apart. Liverpool pressed high up with the mid/attack all working very hard, PSG front 3 did the square root of sod all and against a goo team like Liverpool they were overran at times, the 3-2 scoreline flattered PSG.
    Liverpool are the best in the business at this, it seems to be a trademark of Klopp's teams.

They are so good at it that they show up other strike forces, strike forces who are handy enough in their own right but just not as effective as Liverpool's is when they don't have the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by bawheid View Post
    It’s not so much what was meant by the post comparing this lad to Eckersley and Rherras, it’s just the fact that some folk will look for a negative slant to absolutely anything Hibs do. I wouldn’t have even thought to compare this guy to Eckersley.

Weirdly, there’s some folks in our support that just prefer it when Hibs are pish. I’m sure there’s an explainable psychological reason for it. It’s definitely worth a more in depth study.

I remember relatively early on in John Collins managerial stint, a game against Gretna at Easter Road. I was sitting in the East terracing as we went 2-0 down early in the second half. There were guys absolutely raging all around me. Starved of misery for so long during Mowbray’s reign, they finally had their Hibs back (although this was early in the season and Hibs would go on to win the League Cup a couple of months later). One guy in front of me dragged his young son off having seen enough, red faced, blood vessels bursting out of his temple. He wasn’t the only one. Hibs won 4-2.

The simple fact is, some people just prefer Hibs being crap. This forum reflects that.
    Easier to get a parking space

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Nelom is represented by Key sports Management. One of their key staff is Edwin De Graaf

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Nelom is represented by Key sports Management. One of their key staff is Edwin De Graaf
    ..Who is still playing in the Dutch 4th tier at 38. Not bad.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post

Good observations. The Killie right flank was very good and offered a potent attacking threat. As you rightly highlight, there was little cover being offered to Stevenson at times and this curtailed his attacking forays.

If Nelom can perform, his defensive duties as well as Lewis and get forward more convincingly then he'll be some signing.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    Easier to get a parking space
    Easier to get into the pub before hand too!

Too busy! 😁

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It's almost as if they hope he is crap.

The reality is if he takes his chance when he is given one then Lewis will be benched until such times he can force his way back in, competitiveness within the squad has to be high for us to succeed on the park, players must give their all every week or risk losing their place in the starting 11.

Cup winning legend and long term servant yes. Irreplaceable? No.

Obsessed with the Hibees son of haggart's Avatar
    Damn - I was hoping you’d buy a lemon next

@hibs.net private member
    I'm a huge fan of Lewis and think he is far better than lots of fans give hime credit for. That being said we have not had proper cover or competition in that area and apart from anything Lewis looks like he runs out of steam sometimes. He needs a rest occasionally and hopefully the addition of another decent left sided defender gives opportunities to rest players and makes sure those with the jersey play at their best to keep it. I still think Lewis could do a job as a defensive midfielder.