hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Family club

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another week another video of Hearts fans singing bigoted or racist songs and another thread of Hibs fans shrugging their shoulders and saying ‘we all have them’.

Sorry but the racism, bigotry and xenophobia that comes out of that club is far more constant and sustained than the majority of other clubs in this country, including ours, and it’s getting worse.
    Agree with your second paragraph, but your first isn't really reflecting what people are saying on here, is it?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    I was going through an application form for a job and going through the usual hr stuff it asked about religion. Specifically whether I was Catholic or protestant. I've never come across that in an application before. Company was Menzies
    I know it's part of the equal ops part of an application in Northern Ireland. I've never seen it in Scotland.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I genuinely don't know one Jambo who is into that type of stuff and as I said I know several Catholic Jambos, so I'm always a bit baffled by this stuff as it doesn't really sit with my experience of them.
    That's because you hang out with civilised people, mate. The bigots are there at Tynecastle, always have been, but, as I said previously, they aren't the mainstay of opinion, in my experience. There is undoubtedly a 'mini Hun' element who buy into the 'Hearts is a Protestant and Loyalist club' narrative, but it's nothing to compared to Rangers, where to challenge that opinion will see a fan become an outcast. Hearts need to get a grip of the issue before it spreads; the civilised Jambos need to make themselves heard now.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

There's more and more of them jumping on the bigot train. As soon as they have something to sing about, the songs of 'defiance' are forefront.

We keep hearing about huns and mini huns being good guys, and we never hear any nonsense from them in daily life. Football just gives them the platform to collectively indulge in it. No such thing as a part time bigot.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It’s always been there amongst the hearts support it’s just been a bit quieter in the last few years. Now the young team are embracing it we hear more about it. It’s not going to go away, it’s never gone away. It may be a minority, but it’s a sizeable minority. It pains me to say it but there’s a lot of decent hearts fans who don’t like this sort of thing, but they put up with it.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    I am only guessing, but I imagine the percentage of Catholics in senior positions in some of our professions, such as; the Police, Judiciary, Government, Legal and Financial establishment, will not reflect the wider demographic of out country. I suppose you could also make similar inferences when considering gender and socio-economic background and arrive at the same conclusion, namely privilege and prejudice still play a big part in Scottish society.
    Yes you are only guessing. There is also a popular belief amongst the staunch unionist community that Scottish Government, Glasgow City Council ect are hotbed of anti protestant activists. Imagining and guessing are the best friends that bigotry has.

Us winning the Cup absolutely killed their songbook. It was pretty base stuff anyway but most of it was crap about 1902, 112/113/114 in a row .... and from the moment SDG's header crashed into the bluenoses net they were lost with literally nothing to say.
    So we should not be surprised like a dog returning to its vomit they go back to that tired old clichéd hate guff.

But I will state this. We don't have anything like the problem they do. We don't have a fan element that seeks to ape one of those anachronistic, dinosaur clubs from the west. Hearts do and have done as long as I've been around.

We are Hibs. A welcoming club to the new fan. No sectarian agendas or any of that bull**** and as a club we are open to all. Sure you'll get the odd idiot shouting something stupid at a match. So do Aberdeen, Motherwell, Dundee United etc. Hearts have a problem with this, we don't.
    Be interesting to see how they deal with it. I shan't hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM_1875 View Post
    Us winning the Cup absolutely killed their songbook. It was pretty base stuff anyway but most of it was crap about 1902, 112/113/114 in a row .... and from the moment SDG's header crashed into the bluenoses net they were lost with literally nothing to say.
    So we should not be surprised like a dog returning to its vomit they go back to that tired old clichéd hate guff.

But I will state this. We don't have anything like the problem they do. We don't have a fan element that seeks to ape one of those anachronistic, dinosaur clubs from the west. Hearts do and have done as long as I've been around.

We are Hibs. A welcoming club to the new fan. No sectarian agendas or any of that bull**** and as a club we are open to all. Sure you'll get the odd idiot shouting something stupid at a match. So do Aberdeen, Motherwell, Dundee United etc. Hearts have a problem with this, we don't.
    Be interesting to see how they deal with it. I shan't hold my breath.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I know it's part of the equal ops part of an application in Northern Ireland. I've never seen it in Scotland.
    Prevalent in the Scottish insurance and loss adjusting sector in the 70's and 80's particularly. 3 or 4 of the bigger names were run like a west coast orange lodge.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Likewise, I know a family of Hearts fans who celebrate Mass every Sunday. One was an alter boy yesterday morning. Always wondered what they make of the Billy Boys, Fenian Blood and anti catholic bigotry at Tynecastle. Doesn’t put them off anyway as all seasons ticket holders and manage to fall under every other Hearts supporting stereotype apart from the sectarianism.

Funnily enough, the only (active) Hearts Fans in my extended Family were my Uncle, who was RC and even had an Irish surname, and his son.

Almost all the Presbyterians supported Hibs, with a couple supporting Rangers.

My Grandad was a big Hearts Fan but gave up attending in the early 70s as he was shocked by the bigotry that had crept in.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 17-09-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heid the baw View Post
    Yes you are only guessing. There is also a popular belief amongst the staunch unionist community that Scottish Government, Glasgow City Council ect are hotbed of anti protestant activists. Imagining and guessing are the best friends that bigotry has.
    Quite a bizarre response. I don't think you bothered to read what I was implying, did you? As a guess goes, I'm guessing it's not far off the mark really.

Edit: yes, nice platitude about imagining and guessing, but I would add that privilege, exclusion and entitlement are probably higher up in the ranking. Are you seriously saying that the type of institutions I name are truly reflective of the wider demographic? Comparing embedded elitism to the views of deluded bigots is rather odd, since Scotland is the land of social justice right enough?
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 17-09-2018 at 02:12 PM.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    @loyalgorgie on twitter retweets the worst of their loyalist crap

That they even have an account dealing with bigotry tells me all I need to know about Hearts fans

And for those of you who think the MSM doesnt have sectariansism embedded in its psyche?

How about a "respected" newspaper reporter apologist for the Hearts bigots, look no further than @dougscottishsun who has been involved in a spat with some people who have been tweeting about this issue.

His excuse was "its not as bad as the West Coast" !!!

Guess which team he supports?

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    It's a myth that it's a minority. I've heard whole stands singing that ***** at Easter Road and most of their ground at tynecastle. They're a bunch of bigoted tramps with about 2 brain cells between them.
    This. Hate it when they call it a minority, yet a whole stand can join in. Is that REALLY a minority?

They're all the same. No wonder fans across Scotland hate them and their blue Cousins from the West.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Quite a bizarre response. I don't think you bothered to read what I was implying, did you? As a guess goes, I'm guessing it's not far off the mark really.

Edit: yes, nice platitude about imagining and guessing, but I would add that privilege, exclusion and entitlement are probably higher up in the ranking. Are you seriously saying that the type of institutions I name are truly reflective of the wider demographic? Comparing embedded elitism to the views of deluded bigots is rather odd, since Scotland is the land of social justice right enough?
    I agree and would add that privilege exclusion and entitlement are globally how things work. The danger can arise when we point to someones faith because it suits our narrative or we are just guessing that it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by heid the baw View Post
    I agree and would add that privilege exclusion and entitlement are globally how things work. The danger can arise when we point to someones faith because it suits our narrative or we are just guessing that it is true.
    Ok, got that point

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Anti Catholic bigotry is endemic across Scotland. The idea of it being a 'secret shame' is laughable, it's evident in numerous spheres and there is no will to do anything about it.

It's disappointing so many in that video appear to have jumped on the bandwagon but not really surprising. They probably heard it from their Dads who heard it from theirs and so on; it's normalised behaviour and I doubt many in the video even considered they were doing anything really wrong.
    This.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    This. Hate it when they call it a minority, yet a whole stand can join in. Is that REALLY a minority?

They're all the same. No wonder fans across Scotland hate them and their blue Cousins from the West.
    I don't think Hearts and Rangers are directly comparable. Sectarianism and Loyalism are embedded into everything at Ipox, and anyone with other views isn't wanted and will be silenced. At Hearts, whilst there is definitely a problem, they can at least have an open debate about it. There are plenty of Hearts fans who have expressed their anger about the latest embarrassment, which just wouldn't happen at Rangers, where every song is about Fenians/the pope/the IRA etc.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I was going through an application form for a job and going through the usual hr stuff it asked about religion. Specifically whether I was Catholic or protestant. I've never come across that in an application before. Company was Menzies
    What decade was this in?

You can’t even ask someone their age in an interview now let alone their religion.

Real sectarianism, like preventing people getting an education or job based on their religion, or a seat on a bus, hasn’t been around in this country for ages.

The only time it’s ever mentioned in Scotland is to do with football.

First Team Regular Canon Hannan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    What decade was this in?

You can’t even ask someone their age in an interview now let alone their religion.

Real sectarianism, like preventing people getting an education or job based on their religion, or a seat on a bus, hasn’t been around in this country for ages.

The only time it’s ever mentioned in Scotland is to do with football.
    Or 20 years ago when trying to get into the Glasgow Police!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I don't think Hearts and Rangers are directly comparable. Sectarianism and Loyalism are embedded into everything at Ipox, and anyone with other views isn't wanted and will be silenced. At Hearts, whilst there is definitely a problem, they can at least have an open debate about it. There are plenty of Hearts fans who have expressed their anger about the latest embarrassment, which just wouldn't happen at Rangers, where every song is about Fenians/the pope/the IRA etc.
    Yeah, OK they can discuss it.... But they do xxxx all about it and never have. The subject is never brought up by the chiefs at HMFC. Why? Its hidden and never brought up. And the media and SFA also turn a blind eye. That's Hearts though. The family club. Aye, right!

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    He’s not wrong though. Budge has spoken before of her desire to eradicate that nonsense from elements of their support.
    Speaking about it and doing it are different things. If she is serious then I'm sure she will make it public when she bans them so as to show that it won't be tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    Yeah, OK they can discuss it.... But they do xxxx all about it and never have. The subject is never brought up by the chiefs at HMFC. Why? Its hidden and never brought up. And the media and SFA also turn a blind eye. That's Hearts though. The family club. Aye, right!
    Didn't Budge launch a number of them for sectarianism and revoke their season tickets? Still work to do there, no question.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    When was that? If recently then I believe what they asked you is illegal. You cannot ask people Thier religious beliefs as part of a recruitment process, nor their age, sexual orientation, political beliefs etc etc. I have been involved in many recruitment processes and would end up with my jitters if I asked a question like that.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    I’ve never known Hearts fans to be anything other than bitter, bigots, with the odd exception.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    When was that? If recently then I believe what they asked you is illegal. You cannot ask people Thier religious beliefs as part of a recruitment process, nor their age, sexual orientation, political beliefs etc etc. I have been involved in many recruitment processes and would end up with my jitters if I asked a question like that.
    You can ask what religion they follow though.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    I’ve never known Hearts fans to be anything other than bitter, bigots, with the odd exception.
    Are you meaning Hearts fans collectively when at a game, or people you know?

I find it hard to believe that anyone living in Edinburgh that supports Hibs, doesn’t have friends, work mates or even family members that support Hearts.

I know plenty Hearts fans. Not one of them is a religious bigot. They’re all sound folk just like anyone else who happen to support a different team to me.

Your sweeping statement is nonsense and it’s this kind of internet chat that simply creates the ‘hatred’ between fans.

You must just have crap mates or hang around with ****my folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Didn't Budge launch a number of them for sectarianism and revoke their season tickets? Still work to do there, no question.
    None of that works, the fans have to police it themselves and it'll phase out. However, given that whenever they are in goading/celebratory mood at the end of games and most* of them join in with it (fenian blood and all) I don't think the appetite to self-police is there.

*always loads of chat about "It's only a minority", subjectively when I say "most", I'm meaning it looks like most. Someone posted a video a few years back on here of the whole South Stand when Hearts fans were celebrating a win at ER. It looked like "most" of them singing the Billy Fullarton song - to the point where it looked like all of them. Certainly wasn't a "minority", the rest of their fans mump on social media but there's no sign of any change.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I know plenty Hearts fans. Not one of them is a religious bigot.
    How do you know?

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    You can ask what religion they follow though.
    Not sure I understand the difference?

The only place I have ever been asked my religion is in hospital, and I took satisfaction in replying 'none'.