hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Beaton

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Beaton

Thought the referee yesterday had a pretty good game. I'm generally the first to moan about them so credit where it's due, he let the game flow and got the big calls in the game right.

Killie might feel aggrieved at not getting a penalty right at the end but I can see why it wasn't given, but other than that I don't think either team could have many complaints about the referee at all.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    This will never catch on, Matty...

I commented to my dad that it was good refereeing to pull back the game for a Hibs FK after our attack fizzled out (I think it was the one we then scored from). I don't remember ever questioning his decisions either other than one throw he gave to us which should have went to Killie.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Totally agree. I thought that midway through the 2nd half and thought I'd probably jinxed it by doing so! I thought both sets of players helped him by the way they played the game though, just got on with playing some good football without the niggling fouls and cynical play you get with the likes of Hearts, Aberdeen, Hamilton and Motherwell.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Thought Beaton controlled the game well.Looked like he was interacting with the players at times

I thought it was a penalty to Killie at the end but other than that he did well.

It wasn't the hardest game to referee as the players generally conducted themselves well.

He could have ruined it though, as referees so often have in the past.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    I feel cheap and dirty (and not in a fun way) saying this but Beaton had a good game

Testimonial Due
    I thought he had a decent game, but the assistants were not great. A few decisions were missed and I think they were down to them rather than Beaton (like a hand ball, was in the 2nd half I think, no way Beaton could have seen it, but both the west stand linesman and the 4th official should have had a clear view but nothing given).
    Thought Killie wee unfortunate not to get a free kick on the 2nd half when Lewis barged Burke off the ball (was more than a tussle for the ball) and we got the throw-in. Other way round I would have been screaming for it. Again it was down to the 2 of them.

It's funny how a win, and a soft penalty in our favour, have us praising the Referee to the rooftops.

I wonder what the Killie Fans are saying about him right now.

Thought he was good.First ref this season who didn’t treat every collision as a foul and ensured that none of the players got needled.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought he was good.First ref this season who didn’t treat every collision as a foul and ensured that none of the players got needled.
    Thought he was okay at times ,but how he missed there handball when they broke away and nearly cost us a goal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    It's funny how a win, and a soft penalty in our favour, have us praising the Referee to the rooftops.

I wonder what the Killie Fans are saying about him right now.

Human nature to try think folk (even referees) are inherently fair and good Poor misguided souls. Beaton either had a bad day at the office or was seriously conflicted with instructions to stick it to Clarke and Killie. Hibs and Lennon will pay for that later in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This will never catch on, Matty...

I commented to my dad that it was good refereeing to pull back the game for a Hibs FK after our attack fizzled out (I think it was the one we then scored from). I don't remember ever questioning his decisions either other than one throw he gave to us which should have went to Killie.
    That was a surprisingly long advantage there, by football standards, but it was good refereeing to see if we did get a genuine advantage.

About the only decisions I can think of which I'd disagree with were missing a blatant handball that led to a Killie counter in the first half (although the linesman should have called it) and probably our penalty. Other than that Beaton had a good game.

I think the two penalty claims are all that Killie fans would have to complain about.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    That was a surprisingly long advantage there, by football standards, but it was good refereeing to see if we did get a genuine advantage.

About the only decisions I can think of which I'd disagree with were missing a blatant handball that led to a Killie counter in the first half (although the linesman should have called it) and probably our penalty. Other than that Beaton had a good game.

I think the two penalty claims are all that Killie fans would have to complain about.
    Ignore this idiot. He obviously hasn't seen the TV footage of our stonewaller.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Meanwhile on the Killie forum they’re moaning about refs conspiring against them in the wake of the Steve Clarke stuff.

We got a week off

Absolutely abysmal refereeing not to award Kilmarnock a penalty for the Ambrose challenge.

A good game apart from awarding us a penalty that he shouldn't have and denying Killie a stonewaller 😂

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    I think we were on the right end of a few questionable decisions on Saturday. A good game for the ref? Not in my book.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    A good game apart from awarding us a penalty that he shouldn't have and denying Killie a stonewaller 😂
    I take it you've not seen our penalty again yet?

@hibs.net private member
    Another mixed bag from the ref at the weekend...

I am looking forward to the time that every Premiership manager has made comment on the officialmin Scotland, so far this season we have had Gerrard, Clarke, McInnes and Rodgers making statements....Lennon is keeping his powder dry after missing the start of the season through suspension, but I’m sure something will reignite his urge to comment..... just need Levein and that’s the top 6 from last season unhappy with the state of the union!

It’s time the bitter pill was swallowed and the SFA employ some better officials on a full time basis who properly do their job and are more transparent... instead of the clear as mud diddy’s we currently endure week in and week out!

On another note, a friend of mine is currently a ref in the league 1 & 2... he is quite promising but he did reveal that when asked who he supported (Celtic) he put down Partick, cos he knew he would never get to officiate an Old Firm Match in the future if he told the truth. Then on asking by us, his friends, what he would do if in the last minute of an old firm tie at Parkehead, it’s 0-0 and rangers have a clear penalty shout.... his response was he wouldn’t give it!!!!

This is exactly what is wrong with our game right now!! Entirely corrupt!

I've got to say that I think Beaton is getting too much stick for both penalty decisions and the certainty that many seem to feel about whether or not the Hibs penalty decision was right or wrong perplexes me.

With the hibs penalty - McLaren comes from behind Broadfoot to his left and puts his leg round behind Broadfoot's standing right leg. Broadfoot then tries to kick the ball with his left foot and kicks McLaren instead by accident.

For me there is no question that McLaren was kicked. The debate is around whether McLaren put his right leg where he did simply in order to invite a foul or not. Anyone who's played football will realise I think that it is indeed possible that McLaren was trying to invite the foul. However, particularly with the way he plays, they would also understand that there is an equal chance that McLaren was trying to come round on the blind side and nick the ball from behind Broadfoot before it reached him.

Whether or not the incident was a penalty depends entirely on this interpretation and I don't think it's possible to know the answer. Either way - it seems to me entirely understandable that Beaton interpreted it as he did as it's really a 50/50 judgement call IMHO.

With Killie's penalty claim - I'd agree that, by the letter of the law, it was a penalty because Ambrose kicked Broadfoot's foot. However, it's not as if Killie would have scored had this not happened. Broadfoot had already booted the ball up in the air to nowhere in particular before Ambrose caught him. Broadfoot then threw himself to the ground holding his face. Perhaps this made Beaton think Broadfoot was simulating contact? He could be forgiven for thinking that.

If that penalty had been given it would have been the correct decision but it also would have been something out of nothing in that it was a pointless foul to give away in a situation that was not threatening to Hibs. It's one of those situations where Killie are unlucky that it was not given but, if it had been given, they would have been lucky to get a penalty out of an attack that wasn't ever going to result in a goal.
    Last edited by GreenOnions; 18-09-2018 at 08:28 AM.

If we can't agree after seeing TV replays it shows how difficult it is to be a referee.For Sportscene to show an incident in stop frame,magnified action and then say that the ref got it wrong is ludicrous.

Why he gave a foul for high feet when the killie player had his head at knee height was beyond me. He's a poor ref who had an average display.