hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    I think there is a bigger chance of Kilmarnock doing a Leicester. I was very impressed with them yesterday. They are well organised and play very good football. For a non old firm team to win the SPFL, I think it's important not to hit the front too early because if you are leading in January, Celtic/Rangers/Weegie Media will unsettle players and you'll have a job keeping a hold of them. Once the January transfer window closed, there's not too much they can do.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_F View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This place is hilarious, anyone who doesn’t swear blindly by everything Hibs is labelled a jambo..

They’ve started very well, will be flying, have no idea on their fixtures but if they avoid the sheep & Huns until playin us they could be on some points total..

Anyone see Celtc on Friday? Horrendous, a decent team with squad depth could really challenge this year.
    I think the only league game this season so far Celtic have actually played well in was their victory over Rangers. Played 5 and only scored 5 goals. Certainly misfiring.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    I think the only league game this season so far Celtic have actually played well in was their victory over Rangers. Played 5 and only scored 5 goals. Certainly misfiring.
    the problem is though celtic can go spend a few million in January to improve, the rest of us dont have that luxury which makes catching them that bit harder

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    As has been said, I’ll start being worried if they are 5 points clear in January. Their fans have every right to be crowing. I would be if it was Hibs who’d won 5 out of 5. Hopefully the collapse will be spectacular.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Just noticed Hearts didn't have a sponsor on their shirt today? Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    According to the radio commentators the yams were literally gifted a goal today in the form of a very sloppy motherwell short back pass interception. Add that to the Willie Collum fake sending off the Kilmarnock player last game that 'helped' them go on to win that game and Djoum avoiding being sent off when it was actually a deserved red card and there's plenty who'd say that once again they're living up to their nickname the Jammy B's.

As for our game today I'll happily take a 3-2 win against a hard working Killie team any day of the week. A good game with plenty of goals and grit and determination to get all three points. Well done the Hi bees.

Going by the state of Carson's ankle on Twitter it should have been a free kick not the 50/50 they're claiming it was

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_F View Post
    This place is hilarious, anyone who doesn’t swear blindly by everything Hibs is labelled a jambo..

They’ve started very well, will be flying, have no idea on their fixtures but if they avoid the sheep & Huns until playin us they could be on some points total..

Anyone see Celtc on Friday? Horrendous, a decent team with squad depth could really challenge this year.
    I just had a wee look and they have 2 very winnable home games coming up against St J and Livi I think...so regardless of how good they are the chances are they will have momentum going into Oct when I think they play Sevco us and the Sheep. However we also have some winnable games coming up and a real chance to go on a run...interesting times ahead

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Just noticed Hearts didn't have a sponsor on their shirt today? Why is that?
    Too big for sponsors. Hearts sponsor themselves

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    HIBS.net are thinking about starting a Heart of Midlothian Football Club Supporters Branch in preparation for the 2018/19 SPFL title winning celebrations please PM Pacoluna with your name in order that he may add you to his list.

They've got off to a great start there is no doubt about that, 5 out of 5 wins, fair play that's pretty good and if it was us we'd be delighted as well but leagues are not won in September and if you listen to some of the yams you'd think the title was sewn up already. I'm happy for now listening to their bravado and cockiness. I work with a bunch of them and believe me they are VERY confident and giving it the big un about how we are in for a doing etc etc.

As I say, just let them do their talking. It wont be the first time they've bigged themselves up only to fall flat on their faces. If anything I quite enjoy when they start to get cocky because it just makes it all the funnier when the bubble bursts.

To answer the original question, do I think they will "do a Leicester"? No don't in all honesty. I think they will have a good season unfortunately and probably finish 3rd or maybe even 2nd but over the course of the season I think Celtic will have more in their locker. If they are going to do it though, this season is a rare perfect opportunity because Celtic are a much weaker side than last year IMO, the huns are still a working progress and us and Aberdeen are pretty inconsistent and drop silly points left, right and center.

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    They've got off to a great start there is no doubt about that, 5 out of 5 wins, fair play that's pretty good and if it was us we'd be delighted as well but leagues are not won in September and if you listen to some of the yams you'd think the title was sewn up already. I'm happy for now listening to their bravado and cockiness. I work with a bunch of them and believe me they are VERY confident and giving it the big un about how we are in for a doing etc etc.

As I say, just let them do their talking. It wont be the first time they've bigged themselves up only to fall flat on their faces. If anything I quite enjoy when they start to get cocky because it just makes it all the funnier when the bubble bursts.

To answer the original question, do I think they will "do a Leicester"? No don't in all honesty. I think they will have a good season unfortunately and probably finish 3rd or maybe even 2nd but over the course of the season I think Celtic will have more in their locker. If they are going to do it though, this season is a rare perfect opportunity because Celtic are a much weaker side than last year IMO, the huns are still a working progress and us and Aberdeen are pretty inconsistent and drop silly points left, right and center.
    Come the end of the season they’ll be fighting it out for 4th/5th/6th.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab apple View Post
    Come the end of the season they’ll be fighting it out for 4th/5th/6th.
    Not so sure about that TBH...seems like another decent signing today. They won't win the league but they aren't gonna fall away neither imo...they have improved greatly on last season. Still hope we hump them in Oct but we need to get our strongest 11 firing on all cylinders by then

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Not so sure about that TBH...seems like another decent signing today. They won't win the league but they aren't gonna fall away neither imo...they have improved greatly on last season. Still hope we hump them in Oct but we need to get our strongest 11 firing on all cylinders by then

They were sixth last year and may well improve a couple of places, although i remain to be convinced. During October i think they could well lose all four games. At the end of the day Levein teams don’t win things.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    They've just signed ANOTHER player.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    According to the BBC, he chose hertz over the English premier!!

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Who?
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Who?
    Sean Clare. Very good signing for them. Kind of player who'd thrive at us.

Why are we not picking up players like Sean Clare? FFS honestly, my brother lives/works in Sheffield and has been raving about him for a long time, he was linked with Spurs 6 months ago.

Even if we get to Christmas and the unthinkable is happening, Sellick will panic and bring in a shed load of Premiership loan players.

Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Sean Clare. Very good signing for them. Kind of player who'd thrive at us.
    Yup and kind of signing we could have done with in all honesty given what we've lost over the summer...hey no I hope he turns out to be useless for them

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Yup and kind of signing we could have done with in all honesty given what we've lost over the summer...hey no I hope he turns out to be useless for them

Maybe he's picked up scafferty's wage and we couldn't afford those?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    According to the BBC, he chose hertz over the English premier!!
    What that actually means is the three-year deal Hearts were offering was better for him than anything else on offer. No player would actually CHOOSE to play in Scotland ahead of the EPL otherwise.

Nevertheless, as has been raised earlier in the thread, the question must be where is the funding coming from to pay the wages of all these new players? It's not so long ago Levein was saying he needed to move players on before he could bring more in and getting Lafferty off the payroll is hardly going to bankroll all this investment in players, especially when Budge said a big chunk of the Lafferty cash would be going into propping up the shambolic main stand project.

Going back to the original thread question, over the previous two seasons Hearts have finished 5th and 6th, 58 points and 33 points behind Celtic. Even by flooding the club with new signings, and even allowing for Celtic's failure to strengthen, it would presumably be a hell of a stretch to imagine that sort of deficit could be overcome in just one season.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    What that actually means is the three-year deal Hearts were offering was better for him than anything else on offer. No player would actually CHOOSE to play in Scotland ahead of the EPL otherwise.

Nevertheless, as has been raised earlier in the thread, the question must be where is the funding coming from to pay the wages of all these new players? It's not so long ago Levein was saying he needed to move players on before he could bring more in and getting Lafferty off the payroll is hardly going to bankroll all this investment in players, especially when Budge said a big chunk of the Lafferty cash would be going into propping up the shambolic main stand project.

Going back to the original thread question, over the previous two seasons Hearts have finished 5th and 6th, 58 points and 33 points behind Celtic. Even by flooding the club with new signings, and even allowing for Celtic's failure to strengthen, it would presumably be a hell of a stretch to imagine that sort of deficit could be overcome in just one season.
    People said the same about Leicester, - it couldn’t be done etc. as you pointed out earlier. It will be impossible until it happens.

I think your op was a bit premature 5 games in, but the general question of “when will someone else win the league?” Is an intetesting one.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    People said the same about Leicester, - it couldn’t be done etc. as you pointed out earlier. It will be impossible until it happens.

I think your op was a bit premature 5 games in, but the general question of “when will someone else win the league?” Is an intetesting one.
    Can't see any club outside Glasgow winning the league, as the financial gap in Scotland is so wide. Of course there is the possibility of a club having one incredible season, as Leicester did, but it's once in a blue moon. The last time a team outside the Old Firm won the league was 1985 - a long time ago.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 16-09-2018 at 04:12 PM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post

The reason I asked whether Hearts could do a Leicester is because it seems such a stretch to imagine a team like the yams who have been doing more than treading water for some time, not even threatening to earn a European place, could so quickly turn themselves into title contenders. With Celtic undoubtedly weakened, logic would dictate that if anyone was going to finally break their hold on the title it would be Aberdeen, who have for several years been the best of the rest. As you say, though, Leicester came from nowhere (they were actually in relegation bother the season before they won the title) and capitalised on the big clubs having inconsistent seasons so I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility it could happen here.

Looking at the yams objectively, I do wonder if there are parallels to be drawn with the season they went down. After being docked 15 points they knew they were screwed so had time to plan for the Championship. Following the Cathro fiasco perhaps they realised they were going to be lucky to finish top six with the squad they'd been lumbered with and (with the exception of devoting every waking hour to finally getting a win over us) spent much of last season sizing up a platoon of new players with a view to making an impact this season.

Testimonial Due
    No, Celtic will win the title.

Obviously some debate on this as it’s gone to 5 pages but I’m not reading it as it’s such a horrific concept!

Can’t eait until I hear the enormous “POP” from over tiny way... which will come I assure you.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Can't see any club outside Glasgow winning the league, as the financial gap in Scotland is so wide. Of course there is the possibility of a club having one incredible season, as Leicester did, but it's once in a blue moon. The last time a team outside the Old Firm won the league was 1985 - a long time ago.
    Difference back then though was that Aberdeen and Dundee United were for a number of years BETTER than Celtic and Rangers (especially Rangers). While Aberdeen's title win in 79-80 was a landmark moment, over the next few years it wasn't actually a shock to see the 'new firm' winning titles. The yams came from nowhere to almost do it 86 but that was a flash in the pan which nobody has come close to repeating since, almost solely due to the fact Celtic and Rangers moved on to a different planet in terms of spending.

What makes this season different is the sense that Celtic have got complacent and started to think they don't need to keep spending to stroll to another title.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Simple no . Remember them rocking up to ER when they had won 8 on the bounce singing “we are unbeatable “ 2-0 win for us stopped that song in its tracks .
    They win at Motherwell but still damage loads of seats in the away end . Sums them up , cannie even win with class .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

They'll jambottle it when it counts.

Again.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I don't want Celtic getting 10 in a row, that's just getting embarrassing tbh but I certainly don't want it to be that lot of break the run. Their arrogance and smugness is nauseating at the best of times, them winning the league would send it through to unbearable levels. As I mentioned in my earlier post, let them get carried away and cocky for now, the higher they build themselves up the bigger the fall. They have a good team this year and sadly I fully expect them to have a good season but I just cannot see anyone other than Celtic winning the league.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Just seen the highlights.

Horrific passback aside, nothing between these teams. Hearts didnt look amazing. Leveins assessment, as always one eyed - good to see the plum back on form

Dont think the one on the keeper was in any way deliberate.