hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 46

Thread: Baseball

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    13,083

    Baseball

    Iíve never really seen a thread on here about the greatest American sport.
    I absolutely love the baseball and itís my ambition to go to a game at some point. Wrigley Field would be my ultimate destination, but I think Iíll have to compromise and head to somewhere where I can take in a family holiday.
    Anyway itís the Yankees v The Red Sox this week, itís great timing for me as I finish work around the time the games start.
    who do you all fancy to win it this year? Houston are looking good and theyíre my tip to win it again.

    United we stand here....


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Coaching Staff Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,132
    There was a thread but it's probably lost in the depths.

    Anyway, my Red Sox are going to win.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    13,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There was a thread but it's probably lost in the depths.

    Anyway, my Red Sox are going to win.
    Theyíre looking good.

    United we stand here....

  5. #4
    Coaching Staff Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,132
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Theyíre looking good.
    We weren't last night!

  6. #5
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,595
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Red Sox have been superb this year. Lots of wins, some excellent pitching and bats tha haven't seemed to cool down. Regularly sweeping series and winning games very comfortably indeed.

    But every time they have a series against another side that look playoff bound, they look a little less convincing. It's hard not to feel sorry for the Orioles fans this year. Wow, has their team been abysmal.

    Red Sox vs Yankees in London next summer for anyone interested - Olympic Stadium

  7. #6
    Coaching Staff Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Red Sox have been superb this year. Lots of wins, some excellent pitching and bats tha haven't seemed to cool down. Regularly sweeping series and winning games very comfortably indeed.

    But every time they have a series against another side that look playoff bound, they look a little less convincing. It's hard not to feel sorry for the Orioles fans this year. Wow, has their team been abysmal.

    Red Sox vs Yankees in London next summer for anyone interested - Olympic Stadium
    The Red Sox have lost more games than Baltimore have won. That's awful!

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Red Sox have been superb this year. Lots of wins, some excellent pitching and bats tha haven't seemed to cool down. Regularly sweeping series and winning games very comfortably indeed.

    But every time they have a series against another side that look playoff bound, they look a little less convincing. It's hard not to feel sorry for the Orioles fans this year. Wow, has their team been abysmal.

    Red Sox vs Yankees in London next summer for anyone interested - Olympic Stadium

    Has that been confirmed? If so, what date?

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iíve never really seen a thread on here about the greatest American sport.
    I absolutely love the baseball and itís my ambition to go to a game at some point. Wrigley Field would be my ultimate destination, but I think Iíll have to compromise and head to somewhere where I can take in a family holiday.
    Anyway itís the Yankees v The Red Sox this week, itís great timing for me as I finish work around the time the games start.
    who do you all fancy to win it this year? Houston are looking good and theyíre my tip to win it again.

    I've been to see the Yankees play in New York. It was an amazing experience and had a fantastic time. Definitely recommend it

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has that been confirmed? If so, what date?

    Haven't seen it as confirmed but see their looking at June next year if confirmed. Do you fancy meeting up if they go ahead? I might take advantage and hit London for a few days with the Mrs if your up for it

  11. #10
    Coaching Staff Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,132
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has that been confirmed? If so, what date?
    Pretty sure it has been, I've got friends flying over?

  12. #11
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,595
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Yeah, it's been confirmed - taking place June 29-30.

    There's a link somewhere to register ticket interest. I'm on my phone, so don't have scope to paste it here!

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    36,122
    I've seen the Mets, the Yankees and the Red Socks and I watched the Chicago Cubs v The Brewers in Murphy's Bleachers bar across from Wrigley Field on the 15th of last month.

    I think Fenway Park is my favourite stadium of those, but I can't really comment about WF as I've only walked around it.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  14. #13
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    48
    Posts
    20,464
    Cubs.

  15. #14
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    10,563
    Indians.

  16. #15
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,595
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    New York wanted Boston, New York got Boston

    Red Sox/Astros vs Brewers/Dodgers.

    I can see a rematch from last year.

  17. #16
    Coaching Staff Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,132
    Boston going all the way!

  18. #17
    Coaching Staff LancashireHibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Leigh, Lancashire
    Age
    32
    Posts
    6,422
    Baseball was something that Iíd never got my head round at all, couldnít see the attraction. Then, when in Toronto over the summer, weíd booked tickets to see the Blue Jays just for the Ďexperienceí, expecting to see half an hour and have a couple of beers then sack it off. Ended up absolutely loving it - helped by watching a game on TV with a very patient and helpful bartender explaining the rules in a bar a couple of nights beforehand - and ended up going to their next home game a few days later. Not gone as far as staying up to watch the games on BT as yet but had Blue Jays score updates activated on Flash Scores.

  19. #18
    Coaching Staff Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,132
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Baseball was something that Iíd never got my head round at all, couldnít see the attraction. Then, when in Toronto over the summer, weíd booked tickets to see the Blue Jays just for the Ďexperienceí, expecting to see half an hour and have a couple of beers then sack it off. Ended up absolutely loving it - helped by watching a game on TV with a very patient and helpful bartender explaining the rules in a bar a couple of nights beforehand - and ended up going to their next home game a few days later. Not gone as far as staying up to watch the games on BT as yet but had Blue Jays score updates activated on Flash Scores.
    Like most non native sports it does help to have someone explain it to you. I had the same thing when I moved here to the US, now I'm not a expert but I get most of it.

    I spent the whole of this summer explaining the difference between club and international football, what all the different lines mean on a field and so on.

    The best was: "if you use your feet... why do you throw the ball in?"

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve never really seen a thread on here about the greatest American sport.
    I absolutely love the baseball and it’s my ambition to go to a game at some point. Wrigley Field would be my ultimate destination, but I think I’ll have to compromise and head to somewhere where I can take in a family holiday.
    Anyway it’s the Yankees v The Red Sox this week, it’s great timing for me as I finish work around the time the games start.
    who do you all fancy to win it this year? Houston are looking good and they’re my tip to win it again.
    I went to a game at Wrigley Field many years ago which has lived long in the memory. I'd say it's one of the most aesthetically lovely sports arenas anywhere. I've kept an eye on the Cubs ever since and thought it was amazing when they ended their 108-year World Series wait the same year Hibs finally won the Scottish Cup!

    As you say, there's something special, almost romantic, about baseball. There's a good book called The Boys of Summer (by Roger Kahn) about the glory days of the Brooklyn Dodgers which really captures the soul of the game.

  21. #20
    Coaching Staff Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,132
    Do Damage!

  22. #21
    Coaching Staff Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,132
    1-0 red sox

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North stand
    Posts
    16,559
    Can see this being a tight series, which hopefully goes down to the last game.

    Not too bothered who wins though. Still a wee bit gutted that the Brewers arenít there as Iíd like to have seen them win it.

  24. #23
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    10,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can see this being a tight series, which hopefully goes down to the last game.

    Not too bothered who wins though. Still a wee bit gutted that the Brewers arenít there as Iíd like to have seen them win it.
    Looks like Sox. 4-1 I'd say.

    Indians. Maybe next year......

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lytham St Annes
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like Sox. 4-1 I'd say.

    Indians. Maybe next year......

    Think similar, The Dodgers really need a home clean sweep now to take back to Boston, just cant see it, but you never know. My team the Tigers (due to having family in Michigan) had a stinker of a season.

  26. #25
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    10,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think similar, The Dodgers really need a home clean sweep now to take back to Boston, just cant see it, but you never know. My team the Tigers (due to having family in Michigan) had a stinker of a season.
    Yup. I got into baseball during a period of illness in the nineties. Cleveland were a top team then with incredible hitting power - Manny Ramirez and Thome. Unfortunately the pitching let them down.

    They used to show it on C5. I just thought it was amazing.
    Last edited by heretoday; 26-10-2018 at 01:33 PM.

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    13,083
    Strange line up from the Red Sox tonight. Dodgers might win this. No runs at the top of the 2nd.

    United we stand here....

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    13,083
    1-0 the dodgers. Pederson with a home run.

    United we stand here....

  29. #28
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,595
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Game is still going! Just after midnight in California.

    Bottom 17th.

  30. #29
    Coaching Staff Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,132
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Strange line up from the Red Sox tonight. Dodgers might win this. No runs at the top of the 2nd.
    Playing NL rules so had to move/drop players to get JD in the batting line up.

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    13,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Playing NL rules so had to move/drop players to get JD in the batting line up.
    Yeah they explained that later on.

    United we stand here....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved