hibs.net Messageboard

Florida's little bit wind and rain

Why does this country bother so much about the weather over in the US when there is so much more crap going on here and in Europe that deserves a hell of a lot more cove than some wind n rain that might not even come to anything?!! Do they bother about the rain in Tiree? I think not.

Rant over.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does this country bother so much about the weather over in the US when there is so much more crap going on here and in Europe that deserves a hell of a lot more cove than some wind n rain that might not even come to anything?!! Do they bother about the rain in Tiree? I think not.

Rant over.
    An event that could happen once every 1000 years? Really??

Aye, COULD.

Left by mutual consent!

Rant over.
    Not trying to be smart, but the storm is hitting the Carolinas, which is not Florida. My cousin and my auntie live in North Carolina, so I am interested.

Otherwise, I like to know about hurricanes elsewhere. It is interesting to see how people respond to adversity, and puts our own temperate climate into perspective.

I find it much more embarassing when our news shows us getting worked up about fairly minor meteoroligical events or natural disasters. I mean, the number one story on the news here was a smouldering fire on Saddleworth Moor, when people were dieing in forest fires in Portugal.

Sometimes it pays to take a view over your own garden fence.

Events in the US do get a lot of coverage I agree but with the strength of this storm it was warranted in this case.

It's pretty fascinating to think of the technological advances mankind has made, yet Mother Nature still possesses amazing powers.

Any coverage of extreme weather anywhere on the planet is imo justified.
    Last edited by Smartie; 14-09-2018 at 09:18 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Aye, COULD.
    Evacuation warnings for 1.7m people. Looks very serious indeed to me and the coverage is totally justified.

Rant over.
    It's a massive event that COULD have a devastating impact on peoples lives. Much more ridiculous is the wall to wall coverage in our media of an inch of snow in London or "it's been hot for a week" in Scotland

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar

Rant over.
    Possibly because the remnants will be with us in a few short days.

SCOTLAND CAN.

Rant over.
    yet you still found time to start a thread about it so there would be a discussion?

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    "little bit wind and rain" seems a bit off for something that has forced almost 2 million out of their homes, and will ruin and take lives.

In what way is something in Europe more important to you than America? We live in a well connected world with fairly easy travel opportunities to anywhere and friends/family across the globe.
    Mon the Hibs.

First Team Breakthrough
    I have watched this type of weather related hype for over 30 years and I still don't understand why inevitable hurricanes etc are so highly interesting.

A cynical part of me think that it displaces truly bad news ie the Russian poisoning in England.

Another is that the BBC are trying to attract the younger viewer, which it is admittedly an aim. Look at the main page on its website today.

I don't know the answer. Perhaps just lazy journalism?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    I have watched this type of weather related hype for over 30 years and I still don't understand why inevitable hurricanes etc are so highly interesting.

A cynical part of me think that it displaces truly bad news ie the Russian poisoning in England.

Another is that the BBC are trying to attract the younger viewer, which it is admittedly an aim. Look at the main page on its website today.

It could just be that people are really interested in the weather?

Left by mutual consent!

Why are disaster movies so popular? People like to see destruction.

Rant over.
    Stupid post.

I was travelling home late last night and the radio news talked extensively about a typhoon in The Philipines.

Bloody disgrace so it is, there was an escaped budgie in Thurso that I wanted to hear about instead.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar

Because the footage is of weather that is very rare and extreme. People enjoy watching rare and extreme things. It makes you say wow and shout through others in the house - you seen this?!. A ratings winner!

Looks like were in for a bit of a battering tomorrow. Storm Alli or something.

Its interesting to look at how much rainfall and wind we get and compare it to these typhoons and hurricanes other countries suffer. Puts things in perspective.

Left by mutual consent!
    A wheely bin has blown over and the contents are all over the street.

Shut up Yankee, Britain can take it!

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Stupid post.

this

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Looks like were in for a bit of a battering tomorrow. Storm Alli or something.

Its interesting to look at how much rainfall and wind we get and compare it to these typhoons and hurricanes other countries suffer. Puts things in perspective.
    Thanks storm Ali, a number of branches down on the road between home and the pub, that's the start of next years fuel store sorted.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Left by mutual consent!
    Just watching the coverage of problems in South Wales, absolutely cringe worthy. One repeating shot is a puddle, that is about a foot deep.

Meanwhile in Florida, Alabama, and Indonesia.....

Blog Entries
    Im in Orlando just now. We just caught the edge of the storm that hit Tallahassee........ a bit of wind and heavy rain for an hour then fine. Over to the west coast for a few days ...... weather forecast looks great.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Im in Orlando just now. We just caught the edge of the storm that hit Tallahassee........ a bit of wind and heavy rain for an hour then fine. Over to the west coast for a few days ...... weather forecast looks great.
    What's the humidity like?