hibs.net Messageboard

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    Florida's little bit wind and rain

    Why does this country bother so much about the weather over in the US when there is so much more crap going on here and in Europe that deserves a hell of a lot more cove than some wind n rain that might not even come to anything?!! Do they bother about the rain in Tiree? I think not.

    Rant over.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    60
    Posts
    13,599
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does this country bother so much about the weather over in the US when there is so much more crap going on here and in Europe that deserves a hell of a lot more cove than some wind n rain that might not even come to anything?!! Do they bother about the rain in Tiree? I think not.

    Rant over.
    An event that could happen once every 1000 years? Really??

  4. #3
    Aye, COULD.

  5. #4
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does this country bother so much about the weather over in the US when there is so much more crap going on here and in Europe that deserves a hell of a lot more cove than some wind n rain that might not even come to anything?!! Do they bother about the rain in Tiree? I think not.

    Rant over.
    Not trying to be smart, but the storm is hitting the Carolinas, which is not Florida. My cousin and my auntie live in North Carolina, so I am interested.

    Otherwise, I like to know about hurricanes elsewhere. It is interesting to see how people respond to adversity, and puts our own temperate climate into perspective.

    I find it much more embarassing when our news shows us getting worked up about fairly minor meteoroligical events or natural disasters. I mean, the number one story on the news here was a smouldering fire on Saddleworth Moor, when people were dieing in forest fires in Portugal.

    Sometimes it pays to take a view over your own garden fence.

  6. #5
    Events in the US do get a lot of coverage I agree but with the strength of this storm it was warranted in this case.

  7. #6
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    8,182
    It's pretty fascinating to think of the technological advances mankind has made, yet Mother Nature still possesses amazing powers.

    Any coverage of extreme weather anywhere on the planet is imo justified.
    Last edited by Smartie; 14-09-2018 at 09:18 PM.

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    60
    Posts
    13,599
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye, COULD.
    Evacuation warnings for 1.7m people. Looks very serious indeed to me and the coverage is totally justified.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does this country bother so much about the weather over in the US when there is so much more crap going on here and in Europe that deserves a hell of a lot more cove than some wind n rain that might not even come to anything?!! Do they bother about the rain in Tiree? I think not.

    Rant over.
    It's a massive event that COULD have a devastating impact on peoples lives. Much more ridiculous is the wall to wall coverage in our media of an inch of snow in London or "it's been hot for a week" in Scotland

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does this country bother so much about the weather over in the US when there is so much more crap going on here and in Europe that deserves a hell of a lot more cove than some wind n rain that might not even come to anything?!! Do they bother about the rain in Tiree? I think not.

    Rant over.
    Possibly because the remnants will be with us in a few short days.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does this country bother so much about the weather over in the US when there is so much more crap going on here and in Europe that deserves a hell of a lot more cove than some wind n rain that might not even come to anything?!! Do they bother about the rain in Tiree? I think not.

    Rant over.
    yet you still found time to start a thread about it so there would be a discussion?

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,863
    "little bit wind and rain" seems a bit off for something that has forced almost 2 million out of their homes, and will ruin and take lives.

    In what way is something in Europe more important to you than America? We live in a well connected world with fairly easy travel opportunities to anywhere and friends/family across the globe.
    Mon the Hibs.

  13. #12
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    215
    I have watched this type of weather related hype for over 30 years and I still don't understand why inevitable hurricanes etc are so highly interesting.

    A cynical part of me think that it displaces truly bad news ie the Russian poisoning in England.

    Another is that the BBC are trying to attract the younger viewer, which it is admittedly an aim. Look at the main page on its website today.

    I don't know the answer. Perhaps just lazy journalism?

  14. #13
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,096
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have watched this type of weather related hype for over 30 years and I still don't understand why inevitable hurricanes etc are so highly interesting.

    A cynical part of me think that it displaces truly bad news ie the Russian poisoning in England.

    Another is that the BBC are trying to attract the younger viewer, which it is admittedly an aim. Look at the main page on its website today.

    I don't know the answer. Perhaps just lazy journalism?
    It could just be that people are really interested in the weather?

  15. #14
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have watched this type of weather related hype for over 30 years and I still don't understand why inevitable hurricanes etc are so highly interesting.

    A cynical part of me think that it displaces truly bad news ie the Russian poisoning in England.

    Another is that the BBC are trying to attract the younger viewer, which it is admittedly an aim. Look at the main page on its website today.

    I don't know the answer. Perhaps just lazy journalism?
    Why are disaster movies so popular? People like to see destruction.

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does this country bother so much about the weather over in the US when there is so much more crap going on here and in Europe that deserves a hell of a lot more cove than some wind n rain that might not even come to anything?!! Do they bother about the rain in Tiree? I think not.

    Rant over.
    Stupid post.

  17. #16
    I was travelling home late last night and the radio news talked extensively about a typhoon in The Philipines.

    Bloody disgrace so it is, there was an escaped budgie in Thurso that I wanted to hear about instead.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    20,157
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have watched this type of weather related hype for over 30 years and I still don't understand why inevitable hurricanes etc are so highly interesting.

    A cynical part of me think that it displaces truly bad news ie the Russian poisoning in England.

    Another is that the BBC are trying to attract the younger viewer, which it is admittedly an aim. Look at the main page on its website today.

    I don't know the answer. Perhaps just lazy journalism?
    Because the footage is of weather that is very rare and extreme. People enjoy watching rare and extreme things. It makes you say wow and shout through others in the house - you seen this?!. A ratings winner!

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North stand
    Posts
    16,559
    Looks like were in for a bit of a battering tomorrow. Storm Alli or something.

    Its interesting to look at how much rainfall and wind we get and compare it to these typhoons and hurricanes other countries suffer. Puts things in perspective.

  20. #19
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    A wheely bin has blown over and the contents are all over the street.

    Shut up Yankee, Britain can take it!

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    30,042
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stupid post.


    this

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    12,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like were in for a bit of a battering tomorrow. Storm Alli or something.

    Its interesting to look at how much rainfall and wind we get and compare it to these typhoons and hurricanes other countries suffer. Puts things in perspective.
    Thanks storm Ali, a number of branches down on the road between home and the pub, that's the start of next years fuel store sorted.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  23. #22
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Just watching the coverage of problems in South Wales, absolutely cringe worthy. One repeating shot is a puddle, that is about a foot deep.

    Meanwhile in Florida, Alabama, and Indonesia.....

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member Jim44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    71
    Posts
    16,025
    Blog Entries
    1
    Im in Orlando just now. We just caught the edge of the storm that hit Tallahassee........ a bit of wind and heavy rain for an hour then fine. Over to the west coast for a few days ...... weather forecast looks great.

  25. #24
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im in Orlando just now. We just caught the edge of the storm that hit Tallahassee........ a bit of wind and heavy rain for an hour then fine. Over to the west coast for a few days ...... weather forecast looks great.
    What's the humidity like?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved