hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Where's best for the national stadium?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hampden

29 20.71%
  • Murrayfield

111 79.29%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    @hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, I believe these are grants that were awarded in 1998, that would be repayable in the event Hampden stopped being used as a football stadium. I think it's similar to how if Chelsea moved away, they couldn't sell Stamford Bridge, as someone else had gifted them the land with similar conditions.
    I had only seen that they were linked to the redevelopment but had not picked up that were linked to its use.

Suspect that’s why the SFA were sticking to the £2.5M figure as Queens Park would probably have struggled to keep it going as a football venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    I had only seen that they were linked to the redevelopment but had not picked up that were linked to its use.

Suspect that’s why the SFA were sticking to the £2.5M figure as Queens Park would probably have struggled to keep it going as a football venue.

Should it not have been in QPs interest to gift it to the SFA then? Clears 19 million of debt and ensures football remains rather than loads of new housing.

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Should it not have been in QPs interest to gift it to the SFA then? Clears 19 million of debt and ensures football remains rather than loads of new housing.

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk
    I think that was the GFAs plan. But...QP needed £5m for Lesser Hampden apparently? I'm expecting them to end up with something like our East Stand for that much! Unless they do a budge and try to manage it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Bannockburn!!!
    No way.

We've gone more than 700 years unbeaten against the English at Bannockburn.

To lose to them there now would be what is was like for the jambos to see us win the Scottish Cup.
    Last edited by Smartie; 12-09-2018 at 05:52 PM.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Don’t worry. Now that the national team will be remaining in Glasgow (and probably never setting foot in Edinburgh again), the SNP will be more than happy to chuck money at it to redevelop it.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Its time to move on now and concentrate on what we ( the SFA that is ) are going to do next.

I watched the interview with the SFA's representative this afternoon with nothing short of dismay. The answers to questions from the journalists present regarding their plans for the stadium were so tepid and guarded … where the hell was the enthusiasm? …. where the hell was the determination? …. where the hell was the positivity? The guy sounded like someone who had just bought a car only to find out it had no engine, I've seen more determination to make lemonade when life hands you lemons from folk from Birmingham winning a motorboat on sale of the century.

FFS !!! ……… Show positivity or at least outward enthusiasm for a big new challenge by saying ''''we are determined to bring the stadium into the 21st century within 10 years, hopefully a lot less'''' …. instead we get some mumbled acknowledgment that stuff needs done on the outside of the ground, agreement about the ends needing squared off ( dah! ) and some mumbled half hearted chat about possibly maybe looking at what Stuttgart have done with their stadium, garnished with a sauce of stating the blindingly obvious that funding needs to be found, but delivered in a way that gave the impression that they have barely thought about having to cross that bridge and have absolutely no idea of how to go about it or confidence that they can.

I cant begin to express my disdain for the SFA's plan to install new turnstiles and LED floodlights ….. Its like being told your car needs two grands worth of work on the engine to get through its MOT and going out and buying new alloys and getting it a respray.

Here's a few tips lads:

The Scottish government …. Spent an absolute fortune on other sports facilities for minority sports ( professional sports lets not forget ) so why not the country's most popular sport by far.

The UK government …. Have contributed massively to sports facilities all over England ( especially London ) in the last 10 years, that tax money also included Scottish contributions … so they cant be exempt from Scottish projects just because of Holyrood.

The national lottery …. Contributed 2.2 billion pounds to the London Olympics … on the basis that Scotland could never host such an event surely a crumb from that table to help fund a Hampden redevelopment isn't an unreasonable request.

Glasgow city council …. Immensely proud ( allegedly ) that Hampden is in their sphere of influence … lets see some concrete evidence of that.

Stadium sponsorship …… Arsenal prised 100 million quid out of the Emirates just for the naming rights for their new stadium.

Sale of land around the stadium …. Someone else mentioned this … it appears to be a huge site, far bigger than the actual stadium footprint, and if the ends were straightened out that would surely create even more surplus land at either end of the stadium, just look at the amount of surplus land Hibs ended up with when the old east terrace was demolished.

Crowdfunding ….. Why not? … I would be happy to chuck in a fiver.

A friendly against England …. It would surely fill the place and at £20 a time for tickets that would bring in around half a million quid after expenses.

Rod Stewart …. Never done bleating on about his support for the national team, well he's apparently worth over a hundred million quid .. lets see him put some money where his mouth is.

Scour the earth for any other exiled filthy rich folk out there with a tear in their eye for 'bonny Scotland'? …. Celtic did it with Fergus McCann, have you seen Celtic park?

They need to get the finger out … they need to start sounding FAR more positive about what they need to do and they need to be massively aggressive in the pursuit of their goals instead of the mumbly fluffy tepid underwhelming approach I witnessed this afternoon!!!
    Sound comments, Nae Nookie.

I hope you get a ride sometime soon.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    Anywhere near Stirling using the M9 from Edinburgh and the M80 from Glasgow.
    Trains are easily available from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee.
    That makes it by far the best area to try and build any new stadium, land is available and its not heavily urbanised.
    Utter nonsense.
    The best connected place in Scotland in terms of road and rail connections are obviously the places where people live, work and want to go. That is the cities. FS St Johnstone built a stadium next to the motorway, have you ever tried getting away from it after a match? Ages to get out the car park - and that's with an attendance of around 3 or 4k!

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Utter nonsense.
    The best connected place in Scotland in terms of road and rail connections are obviously the places where people live, work and want to go. That is the cities. FS St Johnstone built a stadium next to the motorway, have you ever tried getting away from it after a match? Ages to get out the car park - and that's with an attendance of around 3 or 4k!
    Reasonable road network

for something that won’t happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Sound comments, Nae Nookie.

I hope you get a ride sometime soon.

We have spent since 1981 on 3 phases of development at Hampden approx £100 million. The Welsh national stadium cost £121. How could this amount be spent and it’s still not fit for purpose? A new stadium is going to be at a minimum £150 million - £200 million? . Where are we going to get the money?