hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Where's best for the national stadium?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hampden

29 20.71%
  • Murrayfield

111 79.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Hampden or Murrayfield?

This issue was calling out for a poll so although it's a bit late, here it is.

Out of the two choices being considered, w do you think the national football stadium should be, Hampden or Murrayfield.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member mutley's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mutley074
    I chose Murrayfield for no other reason than a selfish point of view for ease of travel to/from there.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Murrayfield for me too, although if they decided to bulldoze Dumpden and re-build it in to a decent stadium, then I would have no problem travelling through to the Weeg.

Hampden.

Even if it is a dump there's still something special about trips to that dump. I don't know about anybody else, but as a fitba fan I get a bit pissed off when I see rugby constantly being held up as a paragon compared to the beautiful game, especially when it comes to the behaviour of the respective supports and players …. the last thing I want to see is that level of smugness being ramped up by football having to rent facilities from them.

Buy Hampden ( which should have happened decades ago ) and get the bloody place sorted out.

I chose Murrayfield because of the ease to and fro with all the transport links available, I'm sick to the back teeth waiting over an hour or so just to reach the motorway after a big final at Hampden.

Murrayfield because it's the better stadium. It will be Hampden though as the SFA don't think football exists in the east of Scotland. And nothing will be done to improve the dump of a place either. No wonder no one turns up to internationals anymore.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I chose Murrayfield because of the ease to and fro with all the transport links available, I'm sick to the back teeth waiting over an hour or so just to reach the motorway after a big final at Hampden.
    Agree with that the transport links are much better as is the stadium and teh number who can attend. Can remember the 2013 final sitting in the bus for a hour and still seeing hampden in the queue principally because a Glasgow team had a designated end at the supposed neutral stadium?

How long do you think it takes to get away from Murrayfield?

To get to the motorways you can go via Corstorphine or Calder Road. Both an absolute shambles in the evening rush hour, never mind a 60K crowd.

This stuff about transport links to and from Murrayfield is fantasy island.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Hampden.

Even if it is a dump there's still something special about trips to that dump. I don't know about anybody else, but as a fitba fan I get a bit pissed off when I see rugby constantly being held up as a paragon compared to the beautiful game, especially when it comes to the behaviour of the respective supports and players …. the last thing I want to see is that level of smugness being ramped up by football having to rent facilities from them.

Buy Hampden ( which should have happened decades ago ) and get the bloody place sorted out.

They were saying on the radio that it looks like they've chosen to buy Hampden outright from Queens Park, I always thought it unlikely the blazers would move the games too far away from the OF.

They were saying on the radio that it looks like they've chosen to buy Hampden outright from Queens Park, I always thought it unlikely the blazers would move the games too far away from the OF.
    Though I'm sure you are probably right about the OF angle that isn't a big issue for me. Hampden has been the home of the national team and the cup final for over a hundred years. Tradition is a big deal in sport and for me that's a big part of staying put, not only that, but I feel its important for Scottish football to have a neutral focus for its identity which belongs to it and not another sport, and especially not a sport which historically looks down its nose at us.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Lots of countries' national stadium host more than one sport.

Murrayfield for me.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Murrayfield. By all means continue to take some games to the provincial clubs' grounds, but national stadium should be in the capital. In any event, Murrayfield is a far superior stadium.
    ​#PERSEVERED

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45482397

BBC News are currently running a poll, which closes at 3pm today. Hampden currently out in front.

Hampden for me.

Testimonial Due
    Hampden's a terrible stadium. Buying it and rebuilding it would be a crazy waste of resources when a perfectly viable option is available at Murrayfield.

Relocating national games to Murrayfield may force the SFA to be less Glasgow-centric.

Successful football use of Murrayfield may reduce the Scottish rugby world's smug-twattery.

Having said that, I thoroughly expect the SFA to spend squillions to protect their Glasgow empire. They'll do a half-hearted rebuild at Hampden ensuring it remains frustratingly rubbish while moving games on a temporary basis to Celtic Park and Ibrox.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45482397

BBC News are currently running a poll, which closes at 3pm today. Hampden currently out in front.
    45%/39% in favour of Hampden

16% for Other - Would love to know what "Other" means in the minds of those voters

Promising Youngster
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    45%/39% in favour of Hampden

16% for Other - Would love to know what "Other" means in the minds of those voters
    For me. A brand new national stadium somewhere near Bannockburn/Stirling with better road and rail links. Pay for a chunk of it by selling both Hampden and Murrayfield. Been saying it for years

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    It's a nap that it'll be Hampden imho. I would be hugely surprised if they chose Murrayfield, which I think they would pick if they had been presented the two options with a clean slate (I.e. if they were starting now and had to choose which one they'd use).

With the history at Hampden though, it would have to be a massively compelling case to move.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    No love for either of them as a stadium, and given the crowd at last night's game (and to a lesser extent, Friday's game against Belgium), neither are suitable for a large percentage of Scotland's home internationals.

Would prefer a "pay as you play" deal for Murrayfield where a large crowd is expected, and taking the 'lesser' (in reality, the majority) games around club stadiums, but diddly squat chance of that happening.

It'll be Hampden.

They are going to make the announcement live at Hampden..... I think that might be a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    They are going to make the announcement live at Hampden..... I think that might be a clue.
    It will be Hampden but they could hardly announce it at Murrayfield for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Forward thinking again from the SFA, spending millions they don’t have to buy a stadium which millions don’t want to go to, judging by the crowds at the last two games ! It’s a dump which is awkward to get to, horrible to get away from (although the smaller crowds are helping !!) and it’s baffling to see that most of the main arguments are that although it’s a dump, it’s a historic dump which means we should keep it !! We don’t need a national stadium, we have plenty of other modern stadiums to meet current crowd capacities with better facilities, views and infrastructure and if we do need a national stadium, it should be in the nations capital, like others, London, Cardiff, Belfast and Dublin to name but a few !!

First Team Breakthrough
    The case for Hampden, aided by the west coast media, was based purely on past glories and tradition. That’s the “tradition” of 134,000 crowds crushed into the ground half of whom were unable to see, dust being blown up from the ash terrace and the the comforting warm glow of someone else’s urine pouring down the back of your leg. The SFA don’t have the money to refurbish it to acceptable modern day standards.

The SRU presentation was geared to the future. Today’s fans expect a “matchday experience” ( I know I hate that phrase !) to cover more than a pie and bovril. There’s only about 4 pubs within a mile of Hampden and virtually no restaurants. There’s an endless supply of both around the West End/ Haymarket area and even the city centre is within easy walking distance or a short tram ride to Murrayfield. Admittedly there is a gap between the stands and the pitch but the steepness of the seating makes it considerably better than the abysmal flatline view behind the goals at Hampden.
    Still, the SFA know best.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It's a nap that it'll be Hampden imho. I would be hugely surprised if they chose Murrayfield, which I think they would pick if they had been presented the two options with a clean slate (I.e. if they were starting now and had to choose which one they'd use).

With the history at Hampden though, it would have to be a massively compelling case to move.
    It's the history bit I don't get. History is full of places we don't go to now, or things we don't do anymore. Staying in a place because of 'history' lacks ambition.

"We've always done it this way so let's continue to do it this way".

Uninpsiring crap.

I'd be interested in the relationship the Irish FA and Rugby Association have. I suspect it works quite well.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    It's the history bit I don't get. History is full of places we don't go to now, or things we don't do anymore. Staying in a place because of 'history' lacks ambition.

Uninpsiring crap.

I'd be interested in the relationship the Irish FA and Rugby Association have. I suspect it works quite well.
    Would you be happy for us to be playing at Straiton these days?

FWIW, I agree. It should have been Murrayfield or another solution altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Would you be happy for us to be playing at Straiton these days?

FWIW, I agree. It should have been Murray field or another solution altogether.
    Haha, if it got me home quicker, possibly 😀

I just dont think change is always a bad thing. I'd loved to have seen us try something new, fresh.

Clinging to history to keep the status quo (potential pun alert) is a sad state of affairs.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm in favour of the Murrayfield option - if only in taking away the advantage to the Glasgow clubs in having the National Stadium on their doorstep.

It will also be good for fans in the North East though as would be easier to get to from Aberdeen/Inverness etc than Hampden.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    I'm in favour of the Murrayfield option - if only in taking away the advantage to the Glasgow clubs in having the National Stadium on their doorstep.

It will also be good for fans in the North East though as would be easier to get to from Aberdeen/Inverness etc than Hampden.
    Is it better to have the National Stadium on your doorstep?

I quite like the day out aspect of it being somewhere else.

Not sure I'd want to have a drink up town before heading out to Murrayfield for a cup final.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Is it better to have the National Stadium on your doorstep?

I quite like the day out aspect of it being somewhere else.

Not sure I'd want to have a drink up town before heading out to Murrayfield for a cup final.
    Of course it's better. Why on earth anyone from Edinburgh want to travel to Glasgow instead of staying in the capital really is beyond me.

Transport costs, travel time. 2 reasons which make it a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post

Uninpsiring crap.

This in a nutshell,